HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

07-08 lines

Old
06-08-2007, 08:20 AM
lundy

vCash: 500
07-08 lines

What does the starting lineup look like as of now? If there are any open spots, just leave it with a question mark.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 08:40 AM
lundy

Sorry, that was extremely brief, just trying to get the gist of what the team might look like next year, sans UFA's. Thanks. Anyone think they might be able to help me out?

Old
06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

This is assuming certain players are gone:
Shanahan, Weekes, Nylander, Ortmeyer, Isbister, Strudwick, Rachunek...

So assuming that none of these players resign and we sign no UFAs our lines will look something like this

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Avery-Immonen-Prucha
Dawes-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Byers

Roszival-Malik
Girardi-Tyutin
Pock/Staal-Mara

Lundqvist
Valiquette

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
lundy

great,thanks!

Old
06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
RyutinTyutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post

So assuming that none of these players resign and we sign no UFAs our lines will look something like this

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Avery-Immonen-Prucha
Dawes-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Byers

Roszival-Malik
Girardi-Tyutin
Pock/Staal-Mara

Lundqvist
Valiquette

I'd think Dawes and Avery would be swapped. Dawes Prucha and Immo would be a pretty solid line. Avery - Cullen - Cally would provide grit and offense - could be used similar to Madden's line in NJ.

RyutinTyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 02:59 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Avery-Immonen-Prucha
Dawes-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Byers

Roszival-Malik
Girardi-Tyutin
Pock/Staal-Mara

Lundqvist
Valiquette
We wouldn't make the PO's with that team.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Bretzky*

I know you said no UFA's but too bad. It's not like we're not going to sign any. Besides, I'm only signing one new UFA, and bringing back Nylander and Shanny.

Straka Nylander Jagr
Callahan Drury Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Cullen
Prucha Betts Hossa

Tyutin Girardi
Rozsival Staal
Malik Mara

Lundqvist
Valliquette

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 03:40 PM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
I know you said no UFA's but too bad. It's not like we're not going to sign any. Besides, I'm only signing one new UFA, and bringing back Nylander and Shanny.

Straka Nylander Jagr
Callahan Drury Shanahan
Avery Dubinsky Cullen
Prucha Betts Hossa

Tyutin Girardi
Rozsival Staal
Malik Mara

Lundqvist
Valliquette

Everybody seems to think we are going to land Drury...

Nothing against him at all on my part but I just dont see him signing with us and lately (besides Shanny, who came to Sather) the Rangers haven't been making big named free agent signings...which I like.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

Nothing against him at all on my part but I just dont see him signing with us and lately (besides Shanny, who came to Sather) the Rangers haven't been making big named free agent signings...which I like.
Roll your eyes. Then state that the reason you don't think we'll land Drury is because you "just don't see him signing with us." Thanks for the insight.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post

but its not for a lack of trying.

there have been numerous reports of the rangers offering MASSIVE contracts to Forsberg (pre lockout), Elias, Chara, etc. they just arent getting these guys to come here, which has surprisingly worked in our favor.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Onion Boy

I figure the current roster looks like this (assuming certain players re-sign/no other UFAs):

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Shanahan-???-Prucha
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
???-Betts-???

Malik-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi
???-Mara

Lundqvist
???

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 04:30 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
but its not for a lack of trying.

there have been numerous reports of the rangers offering MASSIVE contracts to Forsberg (pre lockout), Elias, Chara, etc. they just arent getting these guys to come here, which has surprisingly worked in our favor.
i bet those mostly were rumors.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 05:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
considering how widespread the reports were, i highly highly highly doubt it.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 05:33 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
from what my understanding is, they offered $12 million/2 years for Forsberg, $42 million/ 6 years for Elias with no NTC, and they were never really involved in the Chara bidding.

Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 06:10 PM
BigE

What someone should really do is find an 06-07 Lines thread from last June and post the comparisons from that period across the entire season.

It's a really futile game to play - predicting lines 3 months in advance, prior to any free agency period - and it seems to bring about a lot of useless quarrelling.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 06:13 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
What someone should really do is find an 06-07 Lines thread from last June and post the comparisons from that period across the entire season.

It's a really futile game to play - predicting lines 3 months in advance, prior to any free agency period - and it seems to bring about a lot of useless quarrelling.
But, isn't that the attraction of the 'message board' concept?

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 04:01 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I would prefer to see much of this years err last years roster return.
rachunek, shanny, nylander

If the rangers are going to sign someone I would say that you can never have enough defensemen. Drury is the "hot" item and being an east coast kid it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay in the eastern time zone.

however it pans out it should be interesting and I for one am looking forward to reading about who goes where.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 11:55 AM
DontStaal

basically if we dont resign nylander, we're gonna go out for Gomez or Drury.

Once again that leaves a 2nd Line Center gap, unless of course we go out for another FA center (ie Vasicek), but i think our depth in the organization will prevent Sather from doing so.

I don't think you can have Straka on the 1st Line as Center, because he's a lot more productive as a forechecking LWer. That said, maybe we slot Gomez or Drury in between the two and see what happens.

After the "1st line" we can roll sorta two 2nd lines. Again tho, if we don't resign Shanny we have a gap at LW. We can slot Dawes there instead and possibly move Prucha to RW where i think he is more dangerous.

Then we have a checking line led by Blair Betts, Hollweg, and probably a callup from Hartford. Either a Greg Moore or a Dane Byers.

so,

Straka-FA-Jagr
Avery-Dubinsky-Prucha
Hossa-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Byers/Moore

on defense, hoping Staal makes the team we have:

Mara-Roszival
Tyutin-Girardi
Staal-Hannan (?)/ FA

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Here's what people thought in august and september about our team's line in 06-07. This seemed to be the most accepted line combination:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Cullen-Shanahan
Dawes-Immonen/Dubinsky-Ward
Hossa/Hollweg-Betts-Hall/(Ortmeyer-IR)

Of course, like always, HF.boards overstimates prospects and underestimates the need for some toughness in the lineup. What it really turned out to be was something like (now this is hard, because it was always changing):

Straka-Nylander-Jagr (good so far)
Prucha/Avery-Cullen-Shanahan (line got some toughness eventually)
mixtures of Hossa/Ortmeyer/Hall/Ward/etc
Hollweg-Betts-Orr

Its laughable that people have a 4th line now of Prucha-Betts-Hossa. Did you learn nothing by watching Anaheim? Let's just put non-physical players on every line and ask the other teams nicely not to demolish us perhaps?

07-08:
I'd like to see something like:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
UFA-Cullen-Prucha
Shanahan-Avery-Callahan
Hollweg-Betts-Orr (with Byers subbing for Orr/Hollweg)

Hossa filling in for injuries on the top 3 lines

* I loved Shanny-Avery-Callahan together, I know they technically dont have a big time center but Avery can play center, Shanny can take draws too. Plus if it becomes a problem, you can split up Prucha and Cullen.

* I dont see Drury happening and Yashin would be terrrrrrible. That would make me cry. I would rather spend money on a great top pairing defenseman that is punishing physically than a 2nd line center. The only problem is the 2nd line will end up a tad week, but the 2nd and 3rd are equally good so you can flip those around even.

* Its important to have a physical nasty 4th line and this setup allows for that. It also makes for ANOTHER nasty line as well that can score in the shanahan one

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:30 PM
coolbean04

I know you said no FA's but this is what I think will really happen.

Hossa-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-Drury-Avery
Prucha-Cullen-Cally
Hollweg-Betts-Orr/Orts

Nylander will go for too much and we'll use the money we saved for Nyls for Drury.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
The Elias contract was factual actually. I believe he admitted on the Ferrall Show that he was offered one less year for the same amount of coin by NYR.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Nich

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Dawes-Dubi-Prucha
Avery-Cullen-Callahan
Hollweeg-Betts-Dawes

Malik-Rozsival
Tyutin-Girardi
Pock-Mara

Lundqvist
Monty

without resigning anybody besides restricted free agents

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Its laughable that people have a 4th line now of Prucha-Betts-Hossa. Did you learn nothing by watching Anaheim? Let's just put non-physical players on every line and ask the other teams nicely not to demolish us perhaps?
You believe in copycat tactics don't you?

It's not a matter of Speed or Toughness or Finesse, it's how you take those things and use them within a system for the betterment of the team. So saying you can win on toughness alone is ignorant. You have to mix and match and pray that you got it right. Anaheim got it right this year they beat a very good team in the finals and made it look easy. But it wasn't just toughness that won it for them.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
You believe in copycat tactics don't you?

It's not a matter of Speed or Toughness or Finesse, it's how you take those things and use them within a system for the betterment of the team. So saying you can win on toughness alone is ignorant. You have to mix and match and pray that you got it right. Anaheim got it right this year they beat a very good team in the finals and made it look easy. But it wasn't just toughness that won it for them.
No, I have always believed in toughness. ALWAYS.

And of course you dont win with toughness alone. Did I ever say that? My propsed top 2 lines had Prucha, Cullen, and the Czechs on it. Obviously toughness is not the only component to success. But it is an important one and one that people on these boards almost always ignore.

In the playoffs you have to hit everything and wear the opponent down. In the regular season you have to be able to protect yourself and your star players. Even if it sacrifices a point or two in the standings, keeping them fresh, protected and feeling free to operate is worth it in the long run. Look, if Anaheim's 4th line wasn't Thornton/Parros-Marchant-May for much of the year, and they instead put in 3 soft offensive minded individuals they could have easily won the President's Cup. But they didn't do that because their physicality was worth a lot more than that in the long run.

So, like I have always believed, you need BOTH skill and toughness, and thats what my proposed lineup gives. Look at recent winners and this is clear (Anaheim without saying, Carolina had like 3 European players on the whole team, Boulerice played enforcer in the regualar season but even after they had a lot of physical players; Tampa dressed a 4th line with 2 goons on it (Roy and Dingman) nuff said; NJ is obviously a tough physical team; Detroit players themselves look at the turning point of their team as when McCarty, Kocur, and co. go vengeance on Claude Lemeiux in a brawl filled rivalry; and onnnnnnnn and onnnnnnnnn)

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:59 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post

Which game against the Flyers would Ranger fans prefer?

1)The one where we lost and Fedoruk and Eager ran around running our top guys all game long, including Jagr.

or

2)The game that we won where Colton Orr knocked Fedoruck into retirement on the first shift and we dominated the rest of the game.

Look at the difference in our team when we had a lineup of Avery, Hollweg and Orr in it. We were one of the best teams the 2nd half. When it comes to playoff time if you want to scratch a guy like Orr thats fine, like Anaheim did with Parros. During a long tough NHL season you need a few guys who are willing to stick up for each other by dropping the mitts.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote