HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Tanko

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2004, 05:04 AM
punchy1

vCash: 500
Tanko

The good, Peter Kanko is called Tanko by his coach and mates on his wjc team. He is a MONSTER on the puck. I stayed up all night to watch the WJC game (came on at 1am for me or abouts) and after watching him play as much as possible in other games I have these observations.

One, he is a bloody raging bull when it comes to puck control and checking. He is an amazing kid in the corners and can really be a basher in the Nuetral zone. What an animal.
Two, he is great at controlling the puck at speed. He tends to get his shot off on net and that is a pretty neat trick in itself as allot of players have a tendency of missing more than hitting the net.
Three, He plays with smart abandon. He knows whats coming and does his bloody job. I love the way he plays all out.

Four, He is having a bad tourney missing on wide open shots. Thats not to say that he is missing the net but he has a this habit of shooting where he looks. For example, he had Fluery down and beat and not even looking his way and instead of putting the puck where he wasn't he managed to shoot it into the goalies chest. He has done that allot. Shoot where they aren't mate.

Five, He lets his temper get after him. He will go out of his way to repay a cheapie.

I think, that if we were to go on this tourney and what I gather from his camps and his junior page that we are looking at a magnificent third liner with real scoring potential in him. He has the tools to be a top sixer and might just become one as he develops but as of now, he seems to be one of those blokes who just loves the physical play and scoring isn't as important to him. He is a dandy and a step above his peers though and that is great for us.

I will update the wjc thread later. Cheers mates, Tanko is something else to watch.

Old
01-03-2004, 07:28 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

sure hope ur right, cuase he was real unimpressive at the prospect scrimmage. in fact, i didn't even know why people thought he had a shot at the NHL. he was very nonchalant, irregardless of his injuries.

Old
01-03-2004, 09:39 AM
punchy1

Count on it mate. He played very well against his peers and his coach, the coach of a national team and his GM for the Kings had nothing but rave things to say about his play during the tourney. Al Murray were there too and he said that they were well pleased with Kankos game.

Old
01-03-2004, 01:36 PM
maximil

I watched him play vs. Slovakia in the quarterfinals and I was really impressed with him too. He's got good skills and really plays with an edge. I would describe his play as quick, aggressive, and energetic.
He reminds me of a young Andrei Nikolishin.

OT: I really liked the Czech goaltender too. He comes too far out of the net but he's big and has pretty good skating and rebound control.

Old
01-03-2004, 06:10 PM
punchy1

Right said. I don't see Brady as a scoring threat but I do see him as better than Charty by a stretch. He reminds me of a Jason "mini me" Blake with more heart and better overall skills.

Closed Thread