HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Potential UFA talk goes here

Old
06-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Redden Hogalot*

vCash: 500
No thanks...

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:50 PM
discostu

All threads about potential UFA signings go here. I usually don't mind a few threads going around for some of the major ones, but, we can't have a new thread for every player that pops into someone's head.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that, after watching this season I'd say Corvo, Mez, and Schubie are all better puck movers than Reds (- the 1st pass). That 6 man group would be more than adequate in my humble opinion.
Ok, Corvo and Mesz can skate the puck and stickhandle... but Schubert?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
In my opinion the power play clicks at a better rate when he is on the point. If we score more goals, I don't really care where they're coming from.
Alfie had 6 PP goals in 20 games. That's more goals period than Hossa has ever had in the playoffs (high of 18 games) and 1 less than goal than Havlat had last year (in 12 games... however, 6 were scored in the 5 games against TB). Heatley now has 9 goals in 30 playoff games (5 PP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
The 2002/03 season marked Alfredsson moving to the point. The next three post seasons he would play the point on the PP that's 2003 through to 2006 last year.

Alfredssons production those three playoffs. 35GP 7G 14A 21Pts

Alfredssons production when not on the point in the playoffs.
64GP 37G 23A 60Pts

I know which Alfredsson I like better.
Exactly my point.... Hey, that is MY point!

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 04:01 PM
SP

Quote:
The 2002/03 season marked Alfredsson moving to the point. The next three post seasons he would play the point on the PP that's 2003 through to 2006 last year.

64GP 37G 23A 60Pts

Very impressive numbers, however irrelevant.

What is the difference in power play percentage depending on where Alfie is playing?

And who would you rather have replace Alfie on the point? Phillips? Volchenkov? O'Donnell? Maybe another forward?

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Very impressive numbers, however irrelevant.

What is the difference in power play percentage depending on where Alfie is playing?

And who would you rather have replace Alfie on the point? Phillips? Volchenkov? O'Donnell? Maybe another forward?
Playoffs
07 - 18.9
06 - 25.0
04 - 8.5
03 - 14.8
02 - 16.3

Well, that settles it. If we play a team with John Grahame starting in nets in the playoffs again... Alfie can play the point on the PP again.

Old
06-11-2007, 04:12 PM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Playoffs
07 - 18.9
06 - 25.0
04 - 8.5
03 - 14.8
02 - 16.3

Well, that settles it. If we play a team with John Grahame starting in nets in the playoffs again... Alfie can play the point on the PP again.
There ya go, that's a little better.

I still think, as was my original point that was completely ignored, that losing Redden and Preissing and replacing them with Schubert and O'Donnell improves the team, and that we have enough offense from the back end, because Alfie can play the point.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Senateurs
Let's win it all

Quote:
Playoffs
07 - 18.9
06 - 25.0
04 - 8.5
03 - 14.8
02 - 16.3

I think the main difference with Alfi version 07 is that he was playing with the team's best player. He played with Yashin back in the days and had a great post season in 98. Then J.Martin started using him with players that were not the most talented on the team (Prospal, Dackel, Juneau, McEachern). Bonk was our best center but it was always Hossa or Havlat that played with him. It's funny cause right now, as I'm writing this, the NHL network are showing the 2003 games VS the flyers. And these were the lines.

Arvedson-White-Alfi
Varada-Bonk-Havlat
Fisher-Smolinski-Hossa
Schaefer-VanAllen-Neil

I remember that he was stucked with Smolinski in both 04 against the leafs and in 06 against Tampa. I think the best way to use Alfi is with the teams best offensive assets or at least with a credible second line center like Fisher or even Vermette.

Last edited by Senateurs: 06-11-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Buckleys

does anyone thing that... Peter Foresberg could be a great signing if he stays in the NHL.

Obviously, a lot of factors would need to be looked into, but I like it. Spezza and Foresberg, along with Eaves, Heatley, Alfie and ???? make a awesome top 6

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:

64GP 37G 23A 60Pts

Kinda tough to compare though.. this was our longest playoff ruhn, Alfie's best playoffs, and he had a better supporting cast than previous years.

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 06:55 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensrules View Post
I like Gomez but we don't need another 5-6 M$ player, especially not at center. Where Fisher, Vermette and Kelly are going to fit in all of this? If we're going to add a forward we need bigger wingers guys like Asham, McCarthy, Roberts and Bertuzzi like someone mentioned or even Lindros who would be a bargain even if he's injury prone.

We got beat by a big team and we should build our team to beat Anaheim cause but they are the cream of the NHL. We're still suited to beat teams in the east but we must be able to beat teams from the west too. Spezza, Heatley, Schaefer and Comrie (injured) couldn't play in that environment. But our priority should be to add size (Schubert) on defense.
Heatly was injured tooo...

Eitherway i'd rather pay 5.5-6 for SMyth.

Old
06-11-2007, 06:56 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
does anyone thing that... Peter Foresberg could be a great signing if he stays in the NHL.

Obviously, a lot of factors would need to be looked into, but I like it. Spezza and Foresberg, along with Eaves, Heatley, Alfie and ???? make a awesome top 6
I really don't think it would be a good iudea to take risks on past-their-prime injury prone players like roberts, bertuzzi, lindros, forsberg etc.

Old
06-11-2007, 07:01 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sen_Man View Post
Kinda tough to compare though.. this was our longest playoff ruhn, Alfie's best playoffs, and he had a better supporting cast than previous years.
So take these playoffs out then and count the playoffs before 03 when he was not on the point.

44GP 23G 15A 38Pts

Last edited by The Fuhr*: 06-11-2007 at 07:11 PM.
The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 07:47 AM
OgieO

I see the wing as the biggest area of need. We need one guy to fill in on the top 2 lines to go with Heatley, Alfredson, and Schaefer/Vermette. Personally, I think Schaefer is a fine 3rd liner but doesn't provide enough to be considered a top 6 forward. He's adequate on the second line but with Fisher there as well I feel we are a bit limited for scoring there. I'd like to see Vermette given the chance to play there beside Fish and Alfie. Nevertheless, we still need another top winger, preferrabaly one to play with Spezza.

I like the Hartnel talk - he fits in well with what I think we need. A hard forechecking winger that can score and play on a top line. I think Spezza should always have a banger to play with him to clear space and retrieve pucks, plus Hartnell can score and he's young.

I'd also be interested in Scott Walker. He's been banged up a lot lately but I think he'd come cheaper and would be a nice fit on one of the top two lines. He provides a lot of what Roberts brings but he's younger and a better skater.

I know it's ludicrous to even think about, but I'd love to see an attempt to acquire Nathan Horton. Obviously, we'd have to move something big to get him but the nagging thought in my head wants to think Redden and Gerber would be a nice package for Horton from Florida's perspective. I doubt it happens but it's fun to think about.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:01 AM
operasen

Getting two top 6 players through UFA this year will be a reach - I'd be happy with one - but agree we need two.

Schaefer is not a favourite - I do not see him as a top 6 guy at all. Good board work when motivated; great shot when its perfect. Otherwise, not engaged in the fray. He'd look great in Florida. Wonder if Schaefer and Gerber would give us Horton - I'd even thrown in a Russian prospect if we get a draft choice back as well.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Hartnell is still the top choice for me because he's the type of player this team could use on their top line, but he's also around the same age as a lot of the core players on this team already, so I don't think it would really be that hard for him to fit in.

The thing I fear is that EVERY team is going to look at him and he's going to get overpaid. He's the first of the "young" UFA's to hit the market and is the type of player every team covets.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:58 AM
discostu

Not really directly related to this thread, but, I thought I'd post it here.

It's looking more likely that Dominik Hasek will re-sign with Detroit. That takes away one of the likely destinations for Gerber, if we were going to move him, which in turn impacts UFA discussions. It was reported on the main trade rumour and transaction board.

Old
06-12-2007, 10:00 AM
operasen

Then Gerber could be Florida bound. Hope its a package.

Back to topic: Yes = Hartnell. Interchangeable with Alfie on 1 & 2

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:02 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Hartnell ...The thing I fear is that EVERY team is going to look at him and he's going to get overpaid. He's the first of the "young" UFA's to hit the market and is the type of player every team covets.
Teams will look at Anaheim as the "model" and Hartnell will probably be grossly overpaid... such that even Martin Lapointe is criticizing how bad the contract is.

Old
06-12-2007, 10:13 AM
discostu

Quote:
Teams will look at Anaheim as the "model" and Hartnell will probably be grossly overpaid... such that even Martin Lapointe is criticizing how bad the contract is.
That would be bad.

I prefer we stay out of the UFA situation this year. With the age dropping to 28 this year, along with the increased cap space, it's a recipe for an inflated market.

If we do try something, I hope it's along the lines of the Dean McAmmond/Joe Corvo route. Look for guys in smaller roles, that fly under the radar, that our management team has identified as a potential key role player.

I think Anaheim is the only team to really benefit from bringing in a top tier UFA from outside (i.e. greater than $5M) since the cap has been introduced, when they brought in Niedermayer.

The rest of the teams that have had the most success post-lockout do not have big roles being played by UFA. They either focused on maintaining their own roster, and supplementing with role players here and there, or, have even let guys walk, rather than overpay.

All the big "winners" on July 1st last year, were golfing pretty early this year.

Old
06-12-2007, 10:58 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I'd also be interested in Scott Walker. He's been banged up a lot lately but I think he'd come cheaper and would be a nice fit on one of the top two lines. He provides a lot of what Roberts brings but he's younger and a better skater.
Walker is far too small to bring what Roberts brings. He'd be the smallest guy on the Sens if he was brought in.

YellHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 05:27 PM
sensfan4ever1*

for all who care apperently phoenix is interested in gerber www.***********.com
and it is a credible source considering it is on spectors hockey hockey links

sensfan4ever1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 06:19 AM
billpo

Quote:
Why not let Schubert replace Preissing?
I agree. Shubert has earned it. He has done whatever has been asked of him....

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 06:31 AM
billpo

Quote:
I don't want to do anything major, just minor changes, we got within three wins of the cup. Bring in a Hartnell and maybe Roberts for the 4th line and get out of the UFA market.
Yes, we did. But other teams will be making changes to better their teams(except for the LAFS).

Old
06-13-2007, 06:40 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post
Yes, we did. But other teams will be making changes to better their teams(except for the LAFS).
This team will be a year older, and a year more experienced, keep the core together and lets see if we can win three more playoff games these next playoffs.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 07:10 AM
billpo

From our conference, The only team that I see being a little harder to beat will be the PENS. Buffalo will not be as strong. I still am on the fence with Atlanta.