HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stanley cup rally in anaheim

Old
06-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Flyerman29us

vCash: 500
Stanley cup rally in anaheim

hey guys.. sooo im from southern california.. my gf is a duck fan lol.. so we cruised down to the stanley cup duck rally this evening.. its was fun and all but an estimated 15,000 people showed up in the parking lot to see the festivities.. it seemed like there were more but when they said 15,000 i thought of one word.. pathetic lol.. from hearing of the glory days before i was born, flyers winning the cup and 2 million people gathering on broadstreet for the parade.. this completely dwarfed that.. when i think of a duck fan or someone that goes to a ducks game.. i think of a corporate business person that has company tickets. once i was at a game i looked down 3 rows from the glass.. some chick was reading a magazine. i was at a playoff game last season against edmonton and the person behind me thought he was at a kings game. w t f is happening to hockey.. maybe its just the whole california thing. but it creeps me out. i miss the game i used to watch 5+ years ago. anywaz back to today.. nobody gave a crap about the ducks until they started winning.. california.. other then sharks fans.. lots and lots of band wagoners.. pathetic!

go flyers

worst to first!

Flyerman29us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 01:33 AM
Dykhuis26

Thanks for the report man. I live about 30 minutes from the Honda Center and was contemplating checking it out. 15,000 is pathetic. Not as pathetic the Angels winning and then having the parade at Disneyland where they charged admission. Seriously, Southern California is gonna take some getting used to.

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 02:52 AM
Winston Wolf

There were more Flyers jerseys than Ducks jerseys at the game in November.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 09:41 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
15,000 in a PARKING LOT? is this New Jersey or something?

no parade?

pathetic

i remember neidermayer said he wanted to win on a team that wouldnt have a gathering in the parking lot....well, looks like you picked the wrong team!

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

That's pretty ****ing sad.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
15,000?

Didn't the Lightning have like 200,000?

To be fair, Anaheim doesn't have a real down town area, they really are like East Rutherford is to New York but 15,000?

We'd have 4 million.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Snap Wilson

15k was just the reported number, which had to be inaccurate. The three-quarters of the Anaheim lot was filled four hours before the event started. The Angels parking lot filled up soon after, as did just about every lot within a mile of the event. I know the Ducks were sending out people to try and secure even more parking, so there had to be more than the 20,000 they had planned for. Figure out what each of these stadiums seat and do the math. The space they set aside for it was packed all the way out to the curb. There had to be at least 25k there, and several more who gave up when they couldn't park within walking distance.

And no, you couldn't pack four million into one area, especially not in downtown Philadelphia. It's impossible. I was at the Million Man March, wich had an estimated attendance of 837k, and those people were spread out over a wide, expansive area surrounding the Washington monument. The edges of the crowd were too far away to see or hear anything.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
15k was just the reported number, which had to be inaccurate. The three-quarters of the Anaheim lot was filled four hours before the event started. The Angels parking lot filled up soon after, as did just about every lot within a mile of the event. I know the Ducks were sending out people to try and secure even more parking, so there had to be more than the 20,000 they had planned for. Figure out what each of these stadiums seat and do the math. The space they set aside for it was packed all the way out to the curb. There had to be at least 25k there, and several more who gave up when they couldn't park within walking distance.

And no, you couldn't pack four million into one area, especially not in downtown Philadelphia. It's impossible. I was at the Million Man March, wich had an estimated attendance of 837k, and those people were spread out over a wide, expansive area surrounding the Washington monument. The edges of the crowd were too far away to see or hear anything.
There will not be 4 million in one area. These 4 million people will be spread out all over Philly on the parade route. When a philly team finally wins the parade will be of epic proportions. Some people are saying 4 million and that is rather large, I would say more like 2 mil would be more accurate.

Superman33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
There will not be 4 million in one area. These 4 million people will be spread out all over Philly on the parade route. When a philly team finally wins the parade will be of epic proportions. Some people are saying 4 million and that is rather large, I would say more like 2 mil would be more accurate.
That's possible, but consider that the Rose Parade crams solid six miles of parade route and only draws in one million. And the Steelers championship drew in a reported 250k. Will the Flyers really outdraw the Steelers?

In any event, I hope you guys win one soon, of some sport or another. The city really deserves one. I would definitely fly in and stay with my city friends, if only to grab pictures of the carnage.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 04:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
That's possible, but consider that the Rose Parade crams solid six miles of parade route and only draws in one million. And the Steelers championship drew in a reported 250k. Will the Flyers really outdraw the Steelers?

In any event, I hope you guys win one soon, of some sport or another. The city really deserves one. I would definitely fly in and stay with my city friends, if only to grab pictures of the carnage.
Yes, quite easily. Look at the size of the cities and the nature of the fans here combined with not winning a title in forever. Not a doubt in my mind. If i had to guess city-wide the parade could draw 2-3 million

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 05:07 PM
Flyerman29us

Quote:

i read that in 75.. 2 million gathered to see the parade in philly so anything is possible

Old
06-10-2007, 05:24 PM
lancer247

if ...no, when the flyers win again i'll have 15,000 in my backyard...especially, if they are the first to win out of other philly teams...
i think the phantoms had a bigger turnout...

i can see 2MM spreadout along broad st...fans will be coming down from DELCO, BUCKS, MONTCO and over the bridge from NJ...plus i do business w/ about 75 clients in FLA & ATL that are transplant flyers fans...they tell me there are dozens more transplanted fans that said they would come up for a parade with family...many of them booked rooms when it was game 7 two years ago

Last edited by lancer247: 06-10-2007 at 05:36 PM.
lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 06:38 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_ View Post

no parade?

pathetic

i remember neidermayer said he wanted to win on a team that wouldnt have a gathering in the parking lot....well, looks like you picked the wrong team!

Ha-Ha, a Devils fan said almost the same exact thing in a different forum I frequent. His line was something to the effect of, "Four Stanley Cups....Four Parking Lot Celebrations."

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 06:57 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Ha-Ha, a Devils fan said almost the same exact thing in a different forum I frequent. His line was something to the effect of, "Four Stanley Cups....Four Parking Lot Celebrations."
And yet it's still four Stanley Cups.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
And yet it's still four Stanley Cups.
I know, it doesn't seem possible does it? His talent-level is unbelievable. I'm still laughing at the memory of many Devils fans saying that he would never win another cup when he signed with Anaheim.

Old
06-10-2007, 07:45 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

If there were really only 15k there, I would think that the Portland Winter Hawks - a WHL team - would draw more people for a celebration if (and that's a big "if") they were to win the Memorial Cup anytime soon. One of their last games this past season had over 12k in attendance.... and they ended up in the same spot in the WHL as the Flyers did in the NHL. 'Twas quite a rough Hockey season for me this past year to say the least.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Gobbles

If the Ducks' celebration were a parade down a big, bustling city street, there would be no shortage of random bystanders to join in. Unfortunately, since there are no nearby streets of this sort, the celebration was forced to be in a more secluded area, causing a less than satisfactory attendance. Although this statistic seems embarassing, I believe that by holding this event in a not easily accessible area, there would be a higher concentration of true fans than a 2 million strong parade for the Flyers held in of one of america's most populous cities.

Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_ View Post

no parade?

pathetic

This happened last year also in Carolina. I think 30,000 showed up for that? How can you have a "celebration in a parking lot? W T F is this... high school graduation? I really wish that Ottawa had won the cup.

As for Nieds, too bad he will never win the cup in a place that matters.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 10:23 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
This happened last year also in Carolina. I think 30,000 showed up for that? How can you have a "celebration in a parking lot? W T F is this... high school graduation? I really wish that Ottawa had won the cup.

As for Nieds, too bad he will never win the cup in a place that matters.
True, I was thinking more along the lines of "too bad he will never win a Cup that anyone gives a **** about."

Old
06-10-2007, 10:30 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
True, I was thinking more along the lines of "too bad he will never win a Cup that anyone gives a **** about."
The people in the stands in Anaheim seemed pretty pumped. That may not translate to the rest of the city, but if they can pack the house then they deserve their win.

Old
06-11-2007, 02:52 AM
Flyerman29us

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
The people in the stands in Anaheim seemed pretty pumped. That may not translate to the rest of the city, but if they can pack the house then they deserve their win.
Duck fans are weird.. they start playing well and all of a sudden they have fans.. this year reminded me of the lakers with shaq and kobi.. nobody gave a shiii about the lakers then they went on there reign and now u see laker flags, shirts, stickers everywhere. i just think california is the biggest band wagon, front runner city in america lol

Old
06-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerman29us View Post
Duck fans are weird.. they start playing well and all of a sudden they have fans.. this year reminded me of the lakers with shaq and kobi.. nobody gave a shiii about the lakers then they went on there reign and now u see laker flags, shirts, stickers everywhere. i just think california is the biggest band wagon, front runner city in america lol
Then you have bigger problems than most. California is not a city...

Superman33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Flyerman29us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
Then you have bigger problems than most. California is not a city...
i was talking about california fans as a whole..read it over again.. thx

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 06-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
i was talking about california fans as a whole..read it over again.. thx
What's that flying over your head right now?

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 06-11-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Old
06-11-2007, 08:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
I understand you mean State, but as for cities, Yankees fans and Buffalo in general are really bad. Sometimes it's pretty bad for the Eagles. Flyers there aren't any bandwagoners anymore.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote