HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

stamina

Old
06-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
stamina

What do you guys/gals do to work on building up your stamina? Any certain specific exercises? I have a routine but I'm looking for more options something to spice my works out up as they have become boring.

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 04:20 PM
Taz

Do Cardio, So Running, Rowing, Bike riding (outside of the gym) can be fun, Also something like boxing is good

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
BigEyedPhish

Stamina in Hockey is alot different than stamina in alot of other sports because you are going and stopping going and stopping

I have heard the best way to increase your stamina in hockey is wind sprints starting out sprinting for 15 seconds then resting for 30 and do this 10 times in a row every other day for two weeks

Then increase it to 30 seconds of sprinting one minute of resting for the same 10 times every other day for two weeks.

Then after that increase it to 45 seconds of all out sprinting and resting for a minute and a half.

This is the best way to simulate a hockey game because on average you have a 45 minute shift then are sitting for a certian length of time.

You can do this easily at a nearby High School track.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2007, 05:02 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowdown-Preissing.42 View Post
Stamina in Hockey is alot different than stamina in alot of other sports because you are going and stopping going and stopping

I have heard the best way to increase your stamina in hockey is wind sprints starting out sprinting for 15 seconds then resting for 30 and do this 10 times in a row every other day for two weeks

Then increase it to 30 seconds of sprinting one minute of resting for the same 10 times every other day for two weeks.

Then after that increase it to 45 seconds of all out sprinting and resting for a minute and a half.

This is the best way to simulate a hockey game because on average you have a 45 minute shift then are sitting for a certian length of time.

You can do this easily at a nearby High School track.
I actually did this for my high school hockey team, and my speed/stamina increased dramatically. Also, if you want to shed a few pounds this is a great idea as well.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inklings View Post
What do you guys/gals do to work on building up your stamina? Any certain specific exercises? I have a routine but I'm looking for more options something to spice my works out up as they have become boring.
By stamina, do you mean you're out of breath quickly or your muscles (back, legs) tire or get sore?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Sex

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 12:20 PM
frito

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRChazzer View Post
Sex
Not happening if you're married though.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 01:17 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Not happening if you're married though.
Screw that, I've been in a relationship that's gone dry for six months. But I love the gal, so sex isn't really important.

ANYWAY. I swear by sled dragging. Go to your local welding shop, and have one of these numbers made;

Cost me $45. It's 21 inches wide, 24 inches long, the lip at front is three inches long, and there's a 1" piece of pipe welded in the middle to put the weight on that's a foot tall. Now, you can spraypaint yours so it doesn't look like it came from the bottom of the ocean, but that's no fun. Sled dragging is really good anaerobic exercise, do multiple passes, I do two passes, I don't know how long they are, probably like six, seven minutes each since I just go to the end of the road, then back. But for hockey training, you could probably try something like ten 90 second passes. You can't really run with a sled behind you, my pace is something between a walk and a jog, it's still really intense, and it might make you vomit due to said intensity. Don't worry, it's normal. I drag on a gravel road. One day some guy drove past me as I was vomiting. He stopped and asked;

"are...are you...are you ok?"
*hurl* yeah *pant* it's normal *cough wheeze*
"oh...ok" *drives off*.

Fun times!

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock View Post
Screw that, I've been in a relationship that's gone dry for six months. But I love the gal, so sex isn't really important.

ANYWAY. I swear by sled dragging. Go to your local welding shop, and have one of these numbers made;

Cost me $45. It's 21 inches wide, 24 inches long, the lip at front is three inches long, and there's a 1" piece of pipe welded in the middle to put the weight on that's a foot tall. Now, you can spraypaint yours so it doesn't look like it came from the bottom of the ocean, but that's no fun. Sled dragging is really good anaerobic exercise, do multiple passes, I do two passes, I don't know how long they are, probably like six, seven minutes each since I just go to the end of the road, then back. But for hockey training, you could probably try something like ten 90 second passes. You can't really run with a sled behind you, my pace is something between a walk and a jog, it's still really intense, and it might make you vomit due to said intensity. Don't worry, it's normal. I drag on a gravel road. One day some guy drove past me as I was vomiting. He stopped and asked;

"are...are you...are you ok?"
*hurl* yeah *pant* it's normal *cough wheeze*
"oh...ok" *drives off*.

Fun times!

That's funny. What about a car tire with somebody sitting in it.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 02:46 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Whatever's heavy and you can drag behind you. I know of people who have made sleds out of a tire attached to a piece of plywood, and they loaded a bunch of rocks in the tire to weigh it down. Just make sure you're not dragging more than your body can handle.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Inklings
and you feel shame

Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
thanks for all the replies so far.

keep them coming!

Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 09:57 AM
MikeD

Because of te demands unique to hockey, stamina building for the sport is a bit more intense than what many would suggest. Generally its accepted that a low intensity long duration activity such as swimming, cycling and jogging are the ticket. However, you need to base on the 2 minute line, unless your playing longer shifts as many in Rec will.

Wind sprints work well. Setting up a course is very easy. mark out four or five lanes about 15 feet apart. Each lane starts along the same plane but end in 5 yard increaing increments. Sprinting full speed to the end of each with a light jog on the diagonal back to the start of your next lane. Repeat the process. If you wish to build on that you can add somersaults to the start of each distance, jumping jacks or push ups at the start and end etc etc etc...

plyometrics will also help you increase stamina and build in an explosiveness to your game.

there is a pretty good publication out on the subject that contains programs for the begginner to the advanced, cuircit training ,2 and 6 month programs.

Building strength and stamina: 2nd edition by Wayne L. Westcott, PhD, CSCS
about $20 US or less.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 11:18 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The problem with a lot of these methods to gaining stamina and such is that not everyone is in such great shape that they can sprint for 30 seconds at a time. Especially doing it 3, 4, 5 or more times.

Also the fact is, that even though you do sprint a lot, most often then not, you aren't sprinting in hockey. So to say that you assume that when you're training that you sprint your whole shift is nonsense. Although sprinting in training is good to gain endurance. I'd say for everyone to adjust their sprints and stuff to what they can personally handle. If someone who's just starting out starts trying to sprint for 30 seconds and they can't do it and they try a few times they'll probably throw up like crazy because their body can't take it.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 06-10-2007 at 11:26 AM.
WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2007, 05:41 PM
MikeD

Very true that the sprinting isnt constant through the entire shift. Heart rate monitoring shows that with in the first 20-30 seconds of a shift, near 90% or more of max heart rate is reached and sustained for the duration of the shift. In order to target the energy systems, oxygen delivery and such, sprints are one of the closest dry land means to achieve like results. Stamina is not just the bodies abilty to perform work over a set duration. It is also the bodies ability to recover through its aerobic alactic energy system. IF you do not perform dry land at these levels your wasting your time and efforts targeting anaerobic and lactic systems.

I agree that 30 second all out sprints are something that would be for top flite athletes. It takes these sustained levels to engage the systems targeted. In the set up I describe in the previous post, the goal is to ramp up the heart rate as well as provide the rest period to improve recovery time for your next shift. Even though you have reached the bench and are at rest, the body still has great demand placed on it during the recovery period. Your energy systems are still hard at work.

Each has to learn and know their current limitations. As a starter, the first lane would be a 15 yard distance and the 5th and final lane might be 35 yards. The total tiem frame would be around 30 seconds of sprint but there is also double that time frame where the body has dropped back to its aerobic alactic to simulate recovery time. Once established, results, times, heart rate (including your morning waking) should be recorded. This enables the individual to tweak the programs as they develop. For the average rec player its moot since its more about the fun and competition. Each will decide how serious they wish to be.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote