HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Epsom Salt Bath

Old
06-09-2007, 03:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
Epsom Salt Bath

I just did squats earlier and my legs are really stiff (were moreso before). I heard taking a bath with Epsom salt can help alleviate Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness, so I just took one and the stiffness seems to be less.

Anyway, so I was wondering if anyone has tried doing this and if it helps alleviate DOMS when it sets in the next couple of days later.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Maybe you're overtraining? If this was a max effort day, did you do warm-up sets? If you're doing higher volume work, too many reps? If the pain after strength training is bad enough that you need to find an alternative other than rest to alleviate it, something's wrong.

Not knockin' ya, dude. Just throwin' suggestions out there.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 04:33 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Did 6 sets all building up to one set at max. I mean right now I only have very slight discomfort when doing stairs and walking is perfectly fine. It's not pain at all, just stiffness. Although usually it will hurt the day after and especially the 2nd day.

I just don't want to wake up tomorrow and not be able to walk, especially since I have a game on Tuesday and I want my legs to be good for that.

EDIT: Actually my legs feel pretty good now, just a little fatigued.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 06-09-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old
06-09-2007, 05:00 PM
BRONX_MADNESS*

where u play @?

BRONX_MADNESS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 05:01 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

brewster, men's league

Old
06-09-2007, 08:10 PM
MikeD

The Salts bath are good for soaks on things such as from stepping on a nail or other minor open wounds and seem to have a positive impact but over all the hot soak alone is just as good for post work out. The heat acts as a second warm down, increasing blood flow and eliminating the waste products from the muscles. By removing the lactic acid, your reducing the risk of the soreness that comes with it being left behind.

Set your alarm a little early and if needed get another hot soak in to start the day, get the blood flowing. HOT as in 100-105 F that gets the skin red. You should find the temp enough to make you start to sweat once you get 5-10 minutes if soaking the full body.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2007, 09:36 PM
RangersMoogle

Would something like a jog post-soak help the lactic acid removal, or is rest the best remedy?

Old
06-09-2007, 09:52 PM
MikeD

I dont think an added jog would help depending on the cause. A jog that is of an intensity to kick in the production of lactic acid sure wouldnt help. Increase oxygen demands on the cells defeats the purpose. With the soak your under low demand for Oxygen with increased blood flow to cleanse while delivering the oxygen for healing. The Jog would divert oxygen for fuel burning and production. Once soreness and stiffness has set in about all you can do is warm up and work through it if the root cause is lactic acid build up. IF its due to mucle fiber damage from the work out, rest is the cure. That is how strength is built. Work beyond capacity causing minor injury and rest for the rebuild which increases strength in response. Its why you have a target rotation and rest days built into training schedules.

Old
06-09-2007, 11:00 PM
RangersMoogle

I was just curious, I'm knowledgable about strength training (I'm in school to ultimately get my CSCS papers), but the conditioning part of training, I'm still learning.

Thanks for the concise answer, though.

Old
06-10-2007, 09:34 AM
MikeD

I posted a reprint of an article on nutrition a while back that also contained in depth information on the three energy systems of the body. In that, it breaks down the time frames and intensity in which the body "shifts" through these "gears". I think a search on NUTRITION might bring it up for you. While its not specific to this topic it provides some detailed information that can fill in some blanks for ya.

Good on ya with the continued education and I hope the field you have choosen brings you much satisfaction.