Notices

Jiggy doesn't want to be the highest paid goalie

Old
06-11-2007, 12:29 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

vCash: 500
Jiggy doesn't want to be the highest paid goalie

Sounds like he'll test the market, but will probably stay as long as we offer him fair value. Which wouldn't be surprising since he did take a little less last time rather than hold out for every last cent. Paul Kariya he's not.

Quote:
"I don't want to be the highest-paid goalie in this league," said Giguere, who made $3.99 million this season. "I don't think I deserve that. There's a lot of goalies that are better than me. But I think there's a market there and you've got to respect the market too. I have to do it for the other goalies, and I have to do it for myself."
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 12:34 PM
caliamad

Yeah I get the feeling he knows he's in a good situation and he just want to get close to market value. I think if they offered him between 5.25-5.5 million he'll resign.

The length maybe an issue though. I don't see burke signing him more than 3 years since everyone else is around 2 years at most.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Bank Shot

Luongo-6.75
Khabibulin-6.75
Turco-5.7
Vokoun-5.7
Kolzig-5.45
Nabokov-5.375

I didn't include Brodeur because he's on a 7 year contract which isn't too likely.

Considering the rising cap I'd say market value for a goaltender like Giguere is about $5.5-6.0+.

His comments make it sound like he isn't looking to sign for below market value.

Bank Shot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Davey Duck

My biggest worry is the Kings. They can probably offer him more than us and makes it so he doesn't have to move if that is his concern. Hopefully he really just wants to stay with the Ducks and not neccesailry just be able to keep his SoCal home.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 01:47 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

But will he really turn down that kind of money? I think he is just being modest in regards what he thinks he deserves. But if Tampa, Florida or Detroit offer him over 6 mil do any you think he'll actually say no if the Ducks aren't offering as much? I sure hope so but I say I'm confident he will.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 01:52 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Duck View Post
My biggest worry is the Kings. They can probably offer him more than us and makes it so he doesn't have to move if that is his concern. Hopefully he really just wants to stay with the Ducks and not neccesailry just be able to keep his SoCal home.
They can't afford him though. They first have to do something with Cloutier and even then they won't have a lot of room to work with considering they have many other areas for improvement too. Sean Burke proved they just need adequate goaltending to be competitive. They need a play-making, two-way center that can log minutes on the PP and PK (Chris Drury) and a d-man that can QB their anemic PP (Sourray or Rafalski). If they break the bank on a goalie like Jiggy, they may take a huge step backwards.

That and Jiggy knows LA is where goalies go to die and he is smart enough to avoid that situation.

Old
06-11-2007, 02:05 PM
FissionFire

His value won't be set until free agency starts. If a team out there offers his a 4-5yr deal at 7M-7.5M per year, that sets the market. Under those conditions he'd probably resign in Anaheim for a 5yr/6.75M per contract.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Tfighter

I personally think its alright for Giggy to go. He's a great goaltender but i dont want to resign him that will handcuff the ducks future. By that i mean, if Getzlaf, Perry and Penner will ever get in to the Patrice Bergeron category (young players getting paid the big bucks). In addition, i see Bryz being a very capable goalie. We can use the extra money to grab, perferably, a solid defensemen.

Tfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Joe Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufusRobo View Post
In addition, i see Bryz being a very capable goalie. We can use the extra money to grab, perferably, a solid defensemen.
This is exactly what everybody said last summer, except instead of defensive needs, it was scoring to replace Lupul. We hung onto Giguere and did fine, I'd say.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Luongo-6.75
Khabibulin-6.75
Turco-5.7
Vokoun-5.7
Kolzig-5.45
Nabokov-5.375

Considering the rising cap I'd say market value for a goaltender like Giguere is about $5.5-6.0+.

His comments make it sound like he isn't looking to sign for below market value.
Jiggy is better than Khabibulin, Turco, Kolzig and Nabokov. I'm not sure about Vokoun. Certainly an offer below 6 million, IMHO, is a slap in his face.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:28 PM
lux_interior

Yeah, I got the impression that Giggy will re-sign as long as the deal is reasonably close to market value. He also said that he needs to do this for other goalies. Like other ppl have said, the main sticking point will probably be the term of the contract. I don't see him getting more than 3 years.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Rickety Cricket

i dont think giguere should be the highest paid goalie, he's a great goalie, but not the best. the kings might pose a big problem because they have a lot of cap room, and this is probably giguere's best chance to get a big pay day to really make sure his family will be finacially secure in retirement. the ducks brass need to make a descion, if giguere wants to sign for around 4.5-5 i can see him coming back, but if he wants more the ducks have bryzgalov, who if he can get his consistancy down, he'd be a good starter and have signed jonas hillar, who is considered to be one of the better european goalies

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Vulak

I'd assume Giguere is going to get 6 +/- millions from open market. He's top of cream and someone will pay that to get him.

I hope its not us tho as I wouldnt want us to spend that much cash on goalie, rather save it or spend it on cheaper players. I wouldnt mind spending 6 millions to get Ryan Smyth either. =) I would be confident to our goalies if we went into season with Bryzgalov+Miller combo.

Vulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 02:02 AM
ktulu98

do you think we really need some strenghtening?
if teemu will not retire, we need maybe 1 solid D man, but I think jackman can stay and play as our 5th,6th Dman
and than we can give jiggy what he is asking for..
there would be no need for player like smyth

if teemu will retire, we need at least 35+ goal scorer and than we can't much afford jiggy 6+M salary or even that we can promote PPG line to our 1st line, andy mac to 2nd line with some solid 2line RW and keep jiggy

really Im not confident in bryz in net as our #1 goalie to play more than 60 games

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 04:47 AM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98 View Post
really Im not confident in bryz in net as our #1 goalie to play more than 60 games
I don't really want him to play much more than 30...

edit: a bit OT...how long does it take for my Infraction to be erased again?

Last edited by bleuer: 06-12-2007 at 07:56 AM.
bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 06:18 AM
ktulu98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
+1

ktulu98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
+2

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Joe Canada

I'm still shaking my head because I see people who continue to surmise that 4.5-5 million is a reasonable figure, and if it's any more, Giguere should be considered expendable. He made 4 million this year, is $500K really enough of a raise when you just won the Cup?

And to the people that suggest it's too much to spend on a goalie, I have to wonder if these are the same people who thought that Giguere's salary entering 2006-07 was too much. I conjecture that teams who would rather spend less money on more players (quantity over quality) are the ones packing up prior to May. The rest of the teams are the ones competing for the Cup in the spring.

Joe Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
caliamad

I think he'd take 5.5 but Burke is offering 5.

I think the biggest sticking point will be the length. I don't think Burke will want to tie up his assets more than 3 years, and Jiggy will easily get 5 years on the open market.

Old
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
I think he'd take 5.5 but Burke is offering 5.

I think the biggest sticking point will be the length. I don't think Burke will want to tie up his assets more than 3 years, and Jiggy will easily get 5 years on the open market.
Burke has got to be offering more than 5 because Jiggy will easily get more than that on the open market.

Old
06-12-2007, 04:59 PM
caliamad

true but i think if jiggy want him to match the market he'll let him go.

I think the highest burke will go is 5.5 and thats assuming its a shorter (3 year) deal.

Old
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
Bjindaho

5.7 per for two years would be nice.

Any chance Burke could be convinced to bring Kariya in if the price was right and it would bring Selanne back. That might be the only to prevent Teemu from retiring on top. (on top and with one of your best friends in the world)

Bjindaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjindaho View Post
5.7 per for two years would be nice.

Any chance Burke could be convinced to bring Kariya in if the price was right and it would bring Selanne back. That might be the only to prevent Teemu from retiring on top. (on top and with one of your best friends in the world)
NO on Kariya. Unless he takes 500k and plays on the fourth line, then maybe.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
NO on Kariya. Unless he takes 500k and plays on the fourth line, then maybe.
I wouldn't even want him on the 4th line. Maybe he could be a stickboy or something.

mmbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:46 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

While Jiggy is the far and away #1 UFA goalie this offseason, there really don't seem to be that many teams out there prepared to back the dump truck up to his porch. It sounds like Hasek is going back to Detroit. Phoenix and Tampa are unlikely to have or spend that kind of money on him. Florida is the most obvious threat to go after him.

If I were a Ducks fan that wanted to keep him I'd be rooting for the NHLPA to waive the 5% cap booster again so teams that will spend to the cap like Toronto and Boston don't come into play.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote