HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

what weaknesses need to be addressed this summer

Old
06-12-2007, 09:08 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
Didn't steal any games? How come it falls on him to win games when the rest of the team craps the bed? When the whole team sucks, its his job to save their *****? It would have been nice, but you can't blame him for not playing out of his mind. How many times did Heatley, Spezza or Redden carry the team on his back to victory when they were getting outplayed?

You get pissed off at our goaltender for not singlehandedly winning games when the team sucked? How about getting pissed at the team that sucked? That's just a ridiculous argument.
I agree with pretty much everything you say, but a goalie needs to steal games sometimes. That's what separates winners from losers. Your goalie has to be your best player, particularly in the playoffs. Ideally, it shouldn't have to be the goalie who comes to the rescue game after game, but Ottawa rarely made Emery have to come up so huge. It's not unreasonable to think he could do it once in a while.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:18 AM
SP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
I agree with pretty much everything you say, but a goalie needs to steal games sometimes. That's what separates winners from losers. Your goalie has to be your best player, particularly in the playoffs. Ideally, it shouldn't have to be the goalie who comes to the rescue game after game, but Ottawa rarely made Emery have to come up so huge. It's not unreasonable to think he could do it once in a while.
It would be awesome, but I think its unreasonable to blame a 1st year starter for not stealing wins in the finals against the best team in the league.

In game 2 against the Ducks, dude let in 1 goal. That's about as close to stealing a game as it gets. We can't depend on Emery to score the goals, as well as keep them out.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Replace one of Corvo, Priessing, Redden with Schubert or a defensive-minded free agent. It depends on if they think Schubie is ready. That'll help out in the defensive department and add a bit of toughness.

Another weakness for our team is the uneven distribution of cap space. Try to find a way to get rid of Gerber, and possibly Redden (the NTC will be quite the snag IMO). Some people believe Schaefer is a waste for what he makes, but I disagree. That could be another possible departure though.

The Sens did not have as good as goaltending as the Ducks, but I believe Emery will continue to improve, so I don't think this will be a weakness moving forward.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
EJsens1
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indrew View Post
Replace one of Corvo, Priessing, Redden with Schubert or a defensive-minded free agent. It depends on if they think Schubie is ready. That'll help out in the defensive department and add a bit of toughness.

Another weakness for our team is the uneven distribution of cap space. Try to find a way to get rid of Gerber, and possibly Redden (the NTC will be quite the snag IMO). Some people believe Schaefer is a waste for what he makes, but I disagree. That could be another possible departure though.

The Sens did not have as good as goaltending as the Ducks, but I believe Emery will continue to improve, so I don't think this will be a weakness moving forward.

The problem I have with dumping Schaefer and Redden is that they had such off years, that based on their careers so far, you think they will rebound and have better seasons. Frankly, nobody on the Senators had a "career" year. Maybe Phillips. Heatley scoring 50 seems to be more of the norm as he enters his prime. I think we can be a better team next year. As consistent as we were after X-mas, I still thought some guys could be better. If we dump guys like Redden and Schaefer, we'll never get an equal return for a team that is supposed to be contending.
The player I would accept a trade for would be Redden. Not so we can sign guys like Heatley, Fisher and Spezza to long term deals, as we can do that next summer. But I think you could better fill Redden's money with a 3-4 guy on defence making half the price and a top 6 guy with a physical presence.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
OgieO

We need to upgrade the wing.

I think only Alfie and Heatley played like top 6 wingers last year. Eaves and Vermette could develop into top 6 forwards but both have question marks as well (Eaves - speed, Vermette - ability to finish). Schaefer played on the second line but he's really more of a 3rd liner playing the 2nd line. Comrie was a liability defesively as a winger - we really should have found a spot in the middle for him.

Upgrade the wing and we can make another long run in the playoffs. An easy solution is to use the money saved on Comrie to sign Hartnell. I think the following lineup looks pretty darn good - and would still leave us room to re-sign some guys long term. Redden comes off the books in a year - which gives us room to re-sign Heatley and Spezza.

Heatley - Spezza - Hartnell
Vermette - Fisher - Alfredson
Schaefer - Kelly - Neil
McAmmond - Hennessee - Eaves
McGrattan

Switch Heatley and Vermette if you insist on separating Spezza and Heatley.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:47 AM
operasen

I agree we need a top wing and a 2nd centre - from within or without, but someone has to step up.

We also need to find someone for Meszaros. Reden was not the answer.

operasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
operasen

I agree we need a top wing and a 2nd centre - from within or without, but someone has to step up.

We also need to find someone for Meszaros. Redden was not the answer.

Old
06-12-2007, 09:57 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
We need to upgrade the wing.

I think only Alfie and Heatley played like top 6 wingers last year. Eaves and Vermette could develop into top 6 forwards but both have question marks as well (Eaves - speed, Vermette - ability to finish). Schaefer played on the second line but he's really more of a 3rd liner playing the 2nd line. Comrie was a liability defesively as a winger - we really should have found a spot in the middle for him.

Upgrade the wing and we can make another long run in the playoffs. An easy solution is to use the money saved on Comrie to sign Hartnell. I think the following lineup looks pretty darn good - and would still leave us room to re-sign some guys long term. Redden comes off the books in a year - which gives us room to re-sign Heatley and Spezza.

Heatley - Spezza - Hartnell
Vermette - Fisher - Alfredson
Schaefer - Kelly - Neil
McAmmond - Hennessee - Eaves
McGrattan

Switch Heatley and Vermette if you insist on separating Spezza and Heatley.
Schaefer produces about the same as Hartnell with a lot less PP time than Hartnell gets.

PS = 0.60 this year, 0.61 last year. (2:18 PP this year.... 2:09 PP last year)
SH = 0.61 this year, 0.59 last year. (3:24 PP this year.... 4:17 PP last year)

Overall, Schaefer was:
120th in points among forwards and 140th in PPG ("2nd liners" are between 91-180).
30th in points among LW's and 34th in PPG ("2nd liners" are between 31-60).

So even in a "down year", he was still above average as a 2nd line forward and among the highest scoring 2nd line LW's in the league.

So how is Hartnell a 1st liner and Schaefer is a 3rd liner?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:03 AM
operasen

Interesting - but I look at the passion brought. Schaefer plays well, but it is a "controlled" effort. I like Hartnell's flat out "go for it" style. Plus he's a RW and we need that. Then we need a LW (Vermette?) to take Schaefer's spot

Old
06-12-2007, 10:31 AM
OgieO

Well, the ole straw man makes an appearance... I never made a direct comparison of Hartnell to Schaefer. I think Hartnell would be a nice fit on the first line and would upgrade the wing situation as a whole. I did not say Hartnell was better than Schaefer - so you basically wasted your time spewing those stats.

I think Hartnell fits in well on the top line because of his style of game. He's aggressive and I think he can open some space for Spezza as well as put the puck in the net when given the chance. That says nothing about Schaefer.

Schaefer is excellent at puck control in the offensive zone and can produce at a decent rate. I like his game, I just think he's better suited on the third line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Schaefer produces about the same as Hartnell with a lot less PP time than Hartnell gets.

PS = 0.60 this year, 0.61 last year. (2:18 PP this year.... 2:09 PP last year)
SH = 0.61 this year, 0.59 last year. (3:24 PP this year.... 4:17 PP last year)

Overall, Schaefer was:
120th in points among forwards and 140th in PPG ("2nd liners" are between 91-180).
30th in points among LW's and 34th in PPG ("2nd liners" are between 31-60).

So even in a "down year", he was still above average as a 2nd line forward and among the highest scoring 2nd line LW's in the league.

So how is Hartnell a 1st liner and Schaefer is a 3rd liner?

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
Well, the ole straw man makes an appearance... I never made a direct comparison of Hartnell to Schaefer. I think Hartnell would be a nice fit on the first line and would upgrade the wing situation as a whole. I did not say Hartnell was better than Schaefer - so you basically wasted your time spewing those stats.

I think Hartnell fits in well on the top line because of his style of game. He's aggressive and I think he can open some space for Spezza as well as put the puck in the net when given the chance. That says nothing about Schaefer.

Schaefer is excellent at puck control in the offensive zone and can produce at a decent rate. I like his game, I just think he's better suited on the third line.
What strawman?
You said Schaefer was a 3rd line player and half of my post is dedicated to proving that he isn't.
It is apparently acceptable to put Hartnell on a scoring line in your world, but not Schaefer. I'm wondering why.

What words did I put in your mouth to create a weak strawman argument to knock down?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 05:49 PM
The_Sen_Man

[QUOTE=Black Tooth Grin;9526811]Emery has more effect on the game, because he's the goaltender. He's on there every minute of the game, and one mistake on his part and its a goal. The others play a third of the game, and have guys to cover for them when they screw up, who often is Emery.

I blame them more for the losses. Where was our $6.5 million dollar allstar olympian defenseman? Where were Spezza and Heatley in the finals? Where was the Schaefer that we signed to a big contract last offseason? He played 2 games in the playoffs, and I could count the number of games in the regular season he showed up in on one hand.

Exactly.. Emery, as a goalie, plays a huge role in the teams succes, and if he doesn't play up to par than he has to take alot of blame if the team loses. Now i'm not saying he was the ONLY reason for the loss, but he was a big part of it.. in fact i'll go as far as saying that we won the first 3 series in 5 in spite of Emery. I don't see how you can blame Any of the above palyers MORE than Emery for the losses.. heatly was injured and both him and spezza tied the playoof scoring lead. Shaeffer is pretty irrelavent.. he's a third liner that doesn't have much impact on the team. I agree that Redden needs to take large blame aswell. Our loss was a combination of of lack of goaltending, injuries, brutal defense, and lack of scoring by our big guns.

Complain about his positioning all you want. Dude kept pucks out of the net. Only played "solid" in 4-5 playoff games? Jesus Christ, he isn't late-90s Hasek. He kept the team in it, gave the team a chance to win every single game.

Thats the thing... no one is asking him or expecting him to paly amazing.. He just needs to be steady and NOT let in softies on a regular basis... unfortunately he failed to do this for the most part.

Didn't steal any games? How come it falls on him to win games when the rest of the team craps the bed? When the whole team sucks, its his job to save their *****? It would have been nice, but you can't blame him for not playing out of his mind. How many times did Heatley, Spezza or Redden carry the team on his back to victory when they were getting outplayed?

Most cup winner have goalies that can steal games.. Emry isn't one of those goalies.

You get pissed off at our goaltender for not singlehandedly winning games when the team sucked? How about getting pissed at the team that sucked? That's just a ridiculous argument.

I'm not PISSED at Emery... i just think he's not good enough.. the guy tries his ass off and is a fierce competitor.. but he's just not that good of a goalie. And to me, thats a shame that a team like the Sens, who have been good for so long, have had goaltending as an achilles heel.

And it seems to you, Emery can do no good.
Yes he can do good... if he just doesn't let in softies EVERY GAME, and can stirng back to back solid games during the playoffs.

If the team wins, its because the team was great, and won despite poor goaltending. If the team loses, its because Emery let in a soft goal and let them down.

This team scores 2 goals a game in losses and then you blame the goaltending for letting the team down?

Again, when your goalie lets in soft goals on a regular basis, he IS LETTING THE TEAM DOWN.

The_Sen_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 06:26 PM
mtnhiker

[QUOTE=The_Sen_Man;9533409]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
[I]Now i'm not saying he was the ONLY reason for the loss, but he was a big part of it.. in fact i'll go as far as saying that we won the first 3 series in 5 in spite of Emery.
Yeah, I think you nailed it, although local sentiment around here would like to have you believing that Emery carried us on his shoulders through the first 3 series to the finals. lol

The fact that the Sens breezed through the first 3 series without having to rely on Emery speaks volumes about how well our team played in those 3 rounds offensively and defensively. But when push came to shove, Emery wasn't up to it.

mtnhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
The_Heat_Is_On_15*

Easy answer to the question:

MORE GRIT!

The_Heat_Is_On_15* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:11 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Sen_Man View Post
[

Again, when your goalie lets in soft goals on a regular basis, he IS LETTING THE TEAM DOWN.
WHOA DUDE WHOA

Name the "SOFT GOALS ON A REGULAR BASIS" ....
What is "regular" for you? Daily? Weekly? Once a Game?
Every 2 Games? Quit throwing out generalities.

Obviously you are posting soft theories on a regular basis, so you are LETTING THE WHOLE HFBOARDS DOWN

How many shutouts did Emery have in the playoffs? Obviously according to your theory, it wasnt due to his play at all.

The TEAM (including Emery) got us to the Stanley Cup Finals.
My God what more do you want?????

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:29 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

I think that what the team needs to address is finding a solid big scoring second/first line center. Comrie while great I dont think has the size to play that position well, he is better suited to the wing. We hoped that kaig would fill that position but obviously he didnt.

I also think that we are missing a real power left winger for the second line. While I like what shaefer and fisher have done, they are IMHO a great 3rd line checking combo (with neil)

So what I think the team would look like:
(depending on the CCCC, i may move spezz back to the line with comrie, I think he needs to be more motivated)

heatly spezz alfi
LLLL CCCC comri
shaefer fisher neil
eaves henessey saprykin

Mcgratton

volchenkov philips
shubbie mez
corvo preissing? (nykolat)

CCCC -> Gomez or Forsberg
LLLL -> Nash?

Old
06-12-2007, 08:39 PM
heatley_fan*

I think Ottawa needs to trade Emery and keep Gerber. Gerber is a better goaltender imo.

Also acquire Gomez, then trade Spezza

Sign ryan smith

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 08:43 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
WHOA DUDE WHOA

Name the "SOFT GOALS ON A REGULAR BASIS" ....
What is "regular" for you? Daily? Weekly? Once a Game?
Every 2 Games? Quit throwing out generalities.

Obviously you are posting soft theories on a regular basis, so you are LETTING THE WHOLE HFBOARDS DOWN

How many shutouts did Emery have in the playoffs? Obviously according to your theory, it wasnt due to his play at all.

The TEAM (including Emery) got us to the Stanley Cup Finals.
My God what more do you want?????
did you watch the finals?

Old
06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
did you watch the finals?
Every Game, Every Series, Every Home Game In Person.

So start naming the "regular" soft goals. eh?

Old
06-12-2007, 09:12 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
Every Game, Every Series, Every Home Game In Person.

So start naming the "regular" soft goals. eh?
there were 3 jsut in game 5 alone.

Old
06-12-2007, 09:14 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
there were 3 jsut in game 5 alone.
NO not just that game (Pah)
OH and btw which 3 goals do you consider "weak"

the REGULAR WEAK GOALS IN EVERY GAME.
If you cant name them then please go away, you're posts are just trolls.

Old
06-12-2007, 09:24 PM
The_Sen_Man

LMAO yea so if we criticize Emery we're trolls...lolol

Honestly i won't be able to give you good description of every weak goal he let in becuase i don't remember all fo them excatly... just like i don't rember all of the goals the sens scored.

If you can find me links to the games the sens played these playoffs i would definetely be able to point them out.

Old
06-12-2007, 09:29 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
LMAO yea so if we criticize Emery we're trolls...lolol

Honestly i won't be able to give you good description of every weak goal he let in becuase i don't remember all fo them excatly... just like i don't rember all of the goals the sens scored.

If you can find me links to the games the sens played these playoffs i would definetely be able to point them out.
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.
I get it now.
LOL
what a maroooon I am

Your opinions have no basis in fact.

Ok, now I know how to interpret all of your future and past posts:
with a grain of salt!!!!

They are just biased rants!!

ok good

Old
06-12-2007, 09:32 PM
SoulPatch

Emery just needs a FULL TIME goalie coach. This guy will be the next Giguerre. (with smaller pads but more athletic), Ok so maybe not the next Giguerre, but he'll be much better with a goalie coach who can work with him on the fundamentals. He can't go it alone for another season, we've seen the result.

SoulPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 09:46 PM
The_Sen_Man

Quote:
RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.
I get it now.
LOL
what a maroooon I am

Your opinions have no basis in fact.

Ok, now I know how to interpret all of your future and past posts:
with a grain of salt!!!!

They are just biased rants!!

ok good

post me the links to the games and i'd galdly point them out...

I remeber being mad at Emery for letting soft goals in several games, but at this time i can't tell which goals they were, who score them, what games etc, b/c i don't have a photographic memory

The ball's in your court, post links to all the games and i'll point out the softies.

biased rants LOLOL

what am i biased about??? i am SENS FAN. EMEry is aGODD, Yhay! weev got da best goly in teh leeg!