HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Oldest Former NHL Player?

Old
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I remember my old great great granduncle Leroy Goldsworthy being pretty old when he died. He played from 1925-1942.
Interesting career. Hailed from Minnesota huh?. All over the map. Longevity as a player,
some fascinating stops, eye witness to a lot of history. Any relation to the other Goldsworthy's?.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Interesting career. Hailed from Minnesota huh?. All over the map. Longevity as a player,
some fascinating stops, eye witness to a lot of history. Any relation to the other Goldsworthy's?.
Distant cousins I believe. To be honest I'd have to do some digging. Unfortunately his son passed away a few years ago, and he was the closet I was to the Goldsworthy branch of the family.

Sports seem to be in the Goldsworthy blood though. Most of the family members I've met that still bear the name play some form of professional sport, or at the very least made it as far as NCAA.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Elever
Hth

I was just looking into notable retired NHLers and this is what I can tell....out of NHL players who were at least good (meaning not necessarily HOFers but fairly good players), these are the ones who retired as of or before 1960 and are still alive (meaning not necessarily the oldest but the longest since retirement):

Wally Stanowski (retired in 1951)
Elmer Lach
Milt Schmidt
Edgar Laprade
Marty Pavelich
Gus Mortson
Johnny Peirson
Fleming Mackell (retired in 1960)

The first three were born in 1918/19 and the rest after '25. I don't know if I'm missing any. I'm sure there are more like Suomi but these are the ones I thought were notable, correct me if I'm wrong or missing any. Emile Bouchard passed away last year.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
The first three were born in 1918/19 and the rest after '25. I don't know if I'm missing any...
Ya, looks about right. One omission though....

wasnt this guy the oldest & latest to retire from playing,
eclipsing even Gordie Howe? Signed to a 'C Form' in 37
by Red Dutton of the Amerc's. Traded to his hometown
of Chicago for Jack Shill.... finally hung em up in what, 09?

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Al Suomi, oldest former NHLer at 99 years old. At his current age, he's probably a bigger goal-scoring threat than Tyler Kennedy.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:13 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
Al Suomi, oldest former NHLer at 99 years old. At his current age, he's probably a bigger goal-scoring threat than Tyler Kennedy.
Definitely a bigger threat than Justin Abdelkader. I bet if you put Suomi out with Datsyuk he could score a goal.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:30 PM
nutbar

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=673719

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Elever
Hth

I mailed a custom hockey card to get signed by Mr. Wally Stanowski along with Edgar Laprade since neither had one showing their full career year by year stats. They're both 93 I think and were great NHLers...Laprade is actually in the HOF.

Anyways, I was quite happy when they both sigend and returned it fairly quickly. Nice to see more and more NHLers live past their 80s now...a lot of these fellows did a tonne of hard labour and tough jobs in unsafe conditions while or after they played.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote