HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

bettman gets a TWO mil raise

Old
06-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Chokingdogs

vCash: 500
bettman gets a TWO mil raise

i wonder how much papa ted likes helping to pay THAT salary??

http://sportsbusinessjournal.com/ind...estTimeout=900

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Franchise values across the league jumped by tens of millions of dollars for every team, with the introduction of a cap based on a predictable slice of revenues. If you're an owner, you're happy as hell. Owners are the only ones with a vote.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2007, 11:33 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Franchise values across the league jumped by tens of millions of dollars for every team, with the introduction of a cap based on a predictable slice of revenues. If you're an owner, you're happy as hell. Owners are the only ones with a vote.
Exactly. He has helped the owners make lots and lots and lots of money. They rewarded him by giving him a nice raise.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Bananas

Too bad no one's watching hockey in the States. Is Bettman really growing the game? I fear not. I think he should be slapped upside the head and fired, not rewarded.

But yeah, kudos on the salary cap. Too bad it cost them a season, lots of fans, and us a chance at another high draft pick.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeesBestIce View Post
Too bad no one's watching hockey in the States. Is Bettman really growing the game? I fear not. I think he should be slapped upside the head and fired, not rewarded.

But yeah, kudos on the salary cap. Too bad it cost them a season, lots of fans, and us a chance at another high draft pick.
this is a tired argument......hockey has never done real well as a national TV product, so why would low ratings be a surprise?

I could be wrong but I believe the cap will go up again this season (I have to assume that means revenues are going up).....yes they lost a season but all in all, I think they have rebounded from that pretty well

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:34 PM
Chokingdogs

well, i aint no accountant, thats for sure.

but something doesnt add up with the league's creative accounting.

much like the attendance figures released, theyre bloated, not actual fannies in seats, or fans who really pay with their own money.

how much of this, purported, revenue growth was as a result of back-door accounting, specifcally the instant 24% reduction in costs once the lockout ended?

we all know the tv contract(s) are not cash cows. now with salaries and average team payroll reaching close to pre-lockout numbers, where is all this revenue coming from?

the mere talk of expansion, and the resulting 150 mil, per franchise, has me concerned. the tv deal isnt getting any better, for the near future, so thats a constant. average salaries ARE going to go up this summer, just by virtue of the free agent class.

i guess when you change unis every couple of years, you can get an influx of licensing dollars. add a team here or there, couple hundred mil there.

i just dont see how they can continue to operate, under the current economic model, that relies on licensing $$, a paltry tv deal, and the love hangover of chopping existing salaries by almost 25% two years ago.

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Owners do not make their money by operating a team. It isn't about revenues. They make their money by purchasing a team, operating it at minimal losses, and then selling it ten years later.

It is about franchise value, and by securing a salary cap Bettman did a service to the current owners, because the value of their teams skyrocketed.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 01:46 PM
TempusFugit

Revenue growth, if it actually exists, is coming strictly from ticket sales. There was a post lockout bump for the 2005-06 season because hockey fans are loyal and came back in greater than foreseen numbers. This season's bump is due to the fact that a lot of teams have now recognized that their fans are loyal, and have raised prices back to pre lockout levels, or higher. The revenues will continue to rise as long as teams can keep on bleeding their fans dry, but it will end eventually.

$2 mill is diddely. You can't even get a decent 2nd line wing or 2nd pair D for that kind of coin

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2007, 05:21 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
i wonder how much papa ted likes helping to pay THAT salary??

http://sportsbusinessjournal.com/ind...estTimeout=900
I LOVE IT! The "Fire Bettman" goons must be going bonkers right now.

I'm pretty sure Ted would rather pay this and cheaper salaries because of the salary rollback Bettman helped bring in.

I have nothing against Bettman other than he's so weasely.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
I have nothing against Bettman other than he's so weasely.
I agree with that right there more than anything you've ever said. If it wasn't for the fact that Bettman was the face of the league, I'd love him. He's done a great job of rebuilding the league after the lockout, he just needs to keep himself out of the limelight all the time. How about having a former NHL great come out and present the stanley cup instead of the guy that these NHLers used to beat up in gym class?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote