HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Players who are remembered for what they DIDN'T do

Old
06-16-2007, 02:03 AM
vivianmb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
With Dionne I think it has to do more with him playing in an era that very few people on here actually saw him play during. PPG player, 700 goals, 4th all time on the scoring list. 4x post season all star ,Lady Byng 2x ,Pearson award 2x, Art Ross Trophy. The only thing unfortunately he didnt do was win a Cup. He was on some pretty average teams in his career.

He was one of the best players in the league for a number of years. Unfrotunate most people dont realize how good he actually was.
thats gospel. it was dionne, lafleur,perrault , and trotts/bossy when i was young ...you know pre great one days.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 02:42 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Paul Coffey

He gets remembered for not being good defensively, rather than being the absolute beast that he was offensively.
One of the all-time classic quotes:

``A guy that can skate like he can, has all that talent, why can't he play defense?'' - Scotty Bowman

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 02:58 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Marcel Dionne was first name to pop into my head when I read the thread title.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Randall Graves*

Wayne Gretzky has never gotten enough credit for his goalscoring ability imo.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 07:06 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 50
Between the lockout and injuries, I feel like Forsberg could have done a lot more with himself, though I'd hardly blame him for it.

I think we'll look back at the 90's at a handful of players -- Sergei Fedorov and Mike Modano are the two obvious ones that come to mind -- and rue the defensive, trapping style of hockey. Modano scores 50/season four or five times and is probably pushing 1800 pts if he doesn't play for Dallas. Fedorov scored 56 goals for fun, then never broke 40 while the Wings were winning titles.

None were disappointments, but I think all three -- a healthy Forsberg and a liberated Fedorov and Modano -- would have loved the 80's ...

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 07:36 AM
kovy1335

Send a message via AIM to kovy1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
One of the all-time classic quotes:

``A guy that can skate like he can, has all that talent, why can't he play defense?'' - Scotty Bowman
Haha I love Paul Coffey and this quote single handedly made me hate Scotty Bowman. Not that I liked him much before... he didn't do a whole lot for the Penguins.

Coffey may not have had the "complete" game of a Nik Lidstrom or a Larry Murphy, but d*mn if he wasn't beautiful to watch.

Alex Kovalev will probably be remembered for his inability to be productive away from Pittsburgh.

kovy1335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtotheIzzo View Post
[exaggeration]Yeah, right. I guarantee you there are people on this board who don't even know who Stephane Matteau is.[/exaggeration]

That's easily the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard, considering Brodeur was a rookie in 1994, led the Devils to the Cup the next year, won 2 more after that, and has several Vezinas.
I was joking, but their is some truth in it. Moments on the ice are what is remembered not trophy's awarded in Toronto. When lists are made of the NHL's greatest moments or even sports greatest moments, the Messier guarantee and the double overtime Matteau call are the highest ranking moments involving Martin Brodeur. It's possible to be a hall of fame athlete who will own one their sports greatest records and to be most remembered for a negative moment, just ask Barry Bonds.

Sonny Lamateena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 09:12 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Between the lockout and injuries, I feel like Forsberg could have done a lot more with himself, though I'd hardly blame him for it.

I think we'll look back at the 90's at a handful of players -- Sergei Fedorov and Mike Modano are the two obvious ones that come to mind -- and rue the defensive, trapping style of hockey. Modano scores 50/season four or five times and is probably pushing 1800 pts if he doesn't play for Dallas. Fedorov scored 56 goals for fun, then never broke 40 while the Wings were winning titles.

None were disappointments, but I think all three -- a healthy Forsberg and a liberated Fedorov and Modano -- would have loved the 80's ...
Mike Modano would increase his production by 50% if he wasn't playing for Dallas?

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 10:34 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Mike Liut will be remembered for his massacre of a choke job in Canada Cup 1981 finals against the Russians, even though he was one of the best goaltenders in the early 1980's and throughout that decade, where he was the backbone to St.Louis and Hartford playoff runs...hell he won the Lester B. Pearson in 1981 where Gretzky finished runner up and finished second runner up to the Hart Trophy that year as well..which he lost to Gretzky, add a first team all start to his credit as well..

Wasn't his fault he let in 8 goals, the forwards and defensemen gave up on the guy and he was NEVER ever given a shot on Team Canada Cups again..

EpochLink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
With Dionne I think it has to do more with him playing in an era that very few people on here actually saw him play during. PPG player, 700 goals, 4th all time on the scoring list. 4x post season all star ,Lady Byng 2x ,Pearson award 2x, Art Ross Trophy. The only thing unfortunately he didnt do was win a Cup. He was on some pretty average teams in his career.

He was one of the best players in the league for a number of years. Unfrotunate most people dont realize how good he actually was.
Exactly. He was like the Jagr of his generation (without the Cup wins). Great player, goal scorer, playmaker, etc. But for some reason (usually named Lafleur or Gretzky), he was not quite the #1 player in the NHL at any time. Spent most of his career in the #3 spot (not bad for a 19-year career!), scored over 700 goals (# 2 all-time at the time of his retirement behind some guy named Howe), but because he played on the West Coast on some pretty bad Kings' teams, the media never picked up on him like true hockey people did. I always thought he was one of the best all-around players to ever play (at the time), and couldn't figure out why no one seemed to like him as a player. Oh well.....

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 02:48 PM
VanNistelrooy

Alain Côté for the goal he did'nt score. There indeed was a penalty.

VanNistelrooy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Daniel Alfredsson.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 10:20 PM
krudmonk