HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Condolences to Blues Fans

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2003, 05:50 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

vCash: 500
Condolences to Blues Fans

I just got done watching the Avs and Blues, and all I can say is the announcer and color commentator for Fox Sports Midwest were the most boring tandem I have EVER listened to in my life. That includes many boring baseball announcers.

My God, the play-by-play guy has absolutely nothing interesting to say and comments on exciting play as if he were watching from a funeral home and not the press box. The color guy sounds like he was pulled out of a local bar and basically says the most obvious things you can imagine, then repeats himself 3 seconds later.

I truly feel bad for you guys. Must be painful to have to listen to those two dimwits week in and week out!

Old
12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I just got done watching the Avs and Blues, and all I can say is the announcer and color commentator for Fox Sports Midwest were the most boring tandem I have EVER listened to in my life. That includes many boring baseball announcers.

My God, the play-by-play guy has absolutely nothing interesting to say and comments on exciting play as if he were watching from a funeral home and not the press box. The color guy sounds like he was pulled out of a local bar and basically says the most obvious things you can imagine, then repeats himself 3 seconds later.

I truly feel bad for you guys. Must be painful to have to listen to those two dimwits week in and week out!
Mike Emirck or Gary Thorne I consider the best, when you listen to them there is never a boring game to watch.

Old
12-26-2003, 06:16 PM
puckyou21

Thanks for the sympathy. I know a lot of people will watch the game while listening to Chris Kerber and Kelly Chase call it on the radio.

Ken Wilson and Bernie Federko are horrible, we deserve better.

Old
12-26-2003, 06:56 PM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Federko is horrible.

Ken Wilson was actually very good before Federko was his partner.

The combo sucks.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:12 PM
temporary pencil

I think the worst ones are Jeff Rimer and Denis Potvin for the Panthers.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:18 PM
c-carp

Quote:

Bernie Federko is the color guy and he is alright. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the play by play guy Ken Wilson though. I wish they would ****can him tommorow he sucks. He also has a radio show on Fridays on Stl radio and I cannot stand to listen to that either. It would put an ensomniak to sleep.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Mike Emirck or Gary Thorne I consider the best, when you listen to them there is never a boring game to watch.
I'm always bored to death listening to Emrick or Gary Thorne whenever I watch American games.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:

You take the words right out of my mouth

These guys should be baseball announcers. Still anything beats Kelly and McNab...but damn

Old
12-26-2003, 07:59 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I'm always bored to death listening to Emrick or Gary Thorne whenever I watch American games.
To each their own.

Old
12-26-2003, 08:31 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I cant stand gary thorne. Ken Wilsons hayday is over in STL. But the guy has been around since i was a kid. He coined "Oh Baby". And it was a great catch phrase for the first coulple seasons, but after about 15 seasons. Its really old now. And he constantly is jinxing the team. And i also usually listen to kerber and chase-"the battler and the broadcaster". They have got to be one of the best hockey PBP teams in the buisiness. Listenening to them both get worked up is just awesome.

Last edited by topshelf331: 12-26-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old
12-27-2003, 06:24 AM
jfont

Awards:
fyi

ken wilson used to do california angels baseball for several years up until the mid nineties...and i think he was a solid baseball announcer...

12-27-2003, 06:28 AM
Liquidrage*

The Islanders and Sabres have the best announcers that I've heard over the last couple of years.

The ones I can't stand are the Lightning announcers. They complain about every call/no call and if you believed them the Lightning should have 24 PP's each game while never being shorthanded.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:29 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Bernie Federko is the color guy and he is alright. I agree with you wholeheartedly about the play by play guy Ken Wilson though. I wish they would ****can him tommorow he sucks. He also has a radio show on Fridays on Stl radio and I cannot stand to listen to that either. It would put an ensomniak to sleep.

Federko is probably the worst color guy in all of profession sports.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:30 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Interesting. I really like Ken Wilson. He's not bombastic, which is kind of refreshing in this day and age.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck

Really? Why do you say that? I think he's fairly good as color guys go, at least he's fairly objective.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:36 AM
Kukla

Federko is probably the worst color guy in all of profession sports.[/QUOTE]

You haven't heard Jim Price the radio color guy for the Detroit Tigers. Speaks like he is talking to a five year old. Noe boys and girls out there, you need to follow the ball into the glove....

Old
12-27-2003, 06:40 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
Really? Why do you say that? I think he's fairly good as color guys go, at least he's fairly objective.
I wouldn't call him 'fairly objective'. He's either one extreme or the other... either he tries too hard to be objective and makes himself look stupid or he's extremely biased and makes himself look stupid.

I miss Joe Mich

Old
12-27-2003, 08:29 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwyck

You obviously dont remember rob ramage(not to kick the guy while he's down) doing it. If you remember the chris farley show, you know what he sounded like.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Maybe Ken Wilson brings Federko down because of his style of speaking, but whatever the case, they are an awful combo. I agree that Wilson doesn't "yap about nothing" like some play-by-play guys will do, but he was so bad I wound up changing the channel every other whistle because I couldn't stand the monotony.

Between those two teams, a broadcast should be anything but boring. I might expect that kind of atmosphere from a Bowling match but not hockey.

PS - both sets of announcers from the Florida teams get on my nerves. They have their heads up their rear most of the time, which is a different matter from being boring.

Old
12-27-2003, 08:38 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
It's the other way around... Federko brings down KW.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
PS - both sets of announcers from the Florida teams get on my nerves. They have their heads up their rear most of the time, which is a different matter from being boring.
Whatever

Only Tampa's color guy lays into the refs every chance he gets (Espo does the same thing on the radio here, now that I think of it), but aside from some of the blatant homerism, he certainly knows the game, as does the PBP announcer. To say they don't know what they're talking about is completely incorrect IMO.

The PBP guy for Florida calls a decent game IMO, but Potvin drives me up a wall. Don't think I've found a Florida fan yet who likes their TV crew.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:53 AM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporary pencil
I think the worst ones are Jeff Rimer and Denis Potvin for the Panthers.
and they always get stuff wrong too. Rimer says stupid things and Potvin isn't much better. Even when the Panthers are losing like 5-2 or being blown out, they're still optimistic.

Old
12-27-2003, 10:23 AM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Mike Hayes is bruuuuuuuuuuutal. Many people get the wrong impression when they hear exciting, wild clips when the Avs do something great... but he is atrocious.

Old
12-27-2003, 10:30 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
The tri-state area crews are very good.

Devils- Doc Emerick,Chico Reesch

Rangers - Sal Rosen(I think), John Davidson

Islanders - Howie Rose, Joe Micheletti

I remember Doc Emerick and John Davidson did the '96 World Cup and they were just outstanding team, some of the best hockey commentary I ever heard.

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 12-27-2003 at 10:53 AM.
Old
12-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Spaceace

Yeah,as a Blues fan,I can't stand Ken Wilson either. They should hire Chris Kerber & Kelly Chase to be the tv announcers. Cool avatar Sopelfan

Closed Thread