Rumor? Dustin Penner signed to 3 year deal

Old
06-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Jerky Leclerc

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Someone has to say it... Braincramp: 1, mods: 0

Sorry to the mod in question . I know that you were just doing your job, but the accuracy of the deal suggests that they did negotiate during the Playoffs. It may be board rules, but I don't feel that threads like that should be closed, at least not from respected posters.
I will eat crow and live with it. lol However, I was just following the rules. But I'm sure that's what many Nazi guards said at those concentration camps.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:06 PM
braincramp

No biggie. I was just trying to pass along some interesting news; I should have posted it on the Rumors thread. And what does "Arbeit macht frei" mean, anyway?

braincramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by braincramp View Post
And what does "Arbeit macht frei" mean, anyway?
Work will set you free / work sets you free.

Those nazi guards were sick. They would not only lock threads based on ruomors on HitlersFuture.com, they would shoot the one responsible for that rumor.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:17 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeoatmeal View Post
Just to clarify... the rumor about Penner is not true. I didn't read the whole thread closely so if someone already mentioned this then i'm sorry.
here we go again

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Jerky Leclerc

Doug Stolhand is pretty legit. Doensn't the guy write for NHL.com?

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:56 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

No, he does the Puck Podcast. I really don't know about this one. Hope Penner stays but yeah, we might need Teemu's salary if he does decide to call it quits.

S.S. Giggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:14 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

I'm sure it's right. A lot of signings seemed to have leaked out before officially announced and now this is whole separate source reporting this. That and the contract sounds right.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Pepper

I'm going with Braincamp/Wildcat on this one.

Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I concur about Robbie being a monster in the playoffs, not to mention how solid he was the whole season. Drew Miller might turn out to be a regular NHLer, maybe. But Robbie is a bona fide checking forward. There's no pressure to alter that line right now. In fact, there's no pressure to altar that line until their contracts are up (which coincidentally is at the same time).

The only player that, if push comes to shove, needs to be moved would be Marchant and that won't even be until after next season. Marchy is awesome but his spot could be filled, albeit not nearly as well, with a cheaper, younger option. So say Getzy and Corey have big years and command huge raises than Todd will probably have to go. But this year we're solid, even if we retain Jiggy and Teemu. The only cap casualty for this coming season might be OD. Unless he takes at least 25% paycut he's probably gone. OD is great but he'll probably decline in performance each year here on out and he might try to seek a long-term deal somewhere else (ala Ruslan Salei).
I think we have the potential to have a kickass 4th line next year if Selanne returns and we sign a top six LW

?-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
Kunitz-Marchant-?(Thornton/May/Miller/Ryan?)

Having a good 4th line next year will be huge that way we can monitor the top 3 lines minutes easier. Of course if Kunitz is on the first line I won't complain as long as Teemu is back, but getting some depth this off-season is huge, ideally guys hungry for a cup to help keep the room motivated.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 05:26 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
I think we have the potential to have a kickass 4th line next year if Selanne returns and we sign a top six LW

?-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry

Having a good 4th line next year will be huge that way we can monitor the top 3 lines minutes easier. Of course if Kunitz is on the first line I won't complain as long as Teemu is back, but getting some depth this off-season is huge, ideally guys hungry for a cup to help keep the room motivated.
I actually liked Kunitz on the first line, he was the most physical player on that line and seemed to have good chemistry with Selanne and Andy.

I remember a lot of us putting Kunitz on the 3rd or 4th line before this season started (except for TheJoeMan), but I think its safe to say that he played an important role on that first line. That being said, we have to wait for Teemu's decision before making any changes.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
caliamad

Quote:

?-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry

Yeah I'd keep Kunitz on 1st line and put penner on the 4th. I think just about anyone w/ decent size (May Thornton... even Parros) could do well with the kids and Marchant/Penner would give us a legitimate 3rd scoring line to go w/ the checking line. If we can sign another top 6 forward, great, but i'd rather use that money to re-sign giguere and improve our defensive depth... i don't like niedermayer & pronger playing 30 minutes during regular season again.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:07 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

What acquiring Brad May proved is you need a fourth-liner to play on the fourth line. Someone cheap but has a lot of heart and plays with a lot of grit. Basically if Brad May doesn't re-up, we need another, maybe younger version of him on the fourth line.

Kunie was great on the top line and his pressence was sorely missed during his time he was out in the playoffs. If Teemu comes back or not I think Kunie is still on that line with Mac. But even if Teemu comes back I think the PPG line will become our top line next year anyhow.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:30 PM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
?-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Where's Parros? I heard that 'stache has signed to 2 year deal?

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
Davey Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
Where's Parros? I heard that 'stache has signed to 2 year deal?
He's a "4th line as necessary" guy just like this year, which means he deserves to be one of those slash guys too.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Snap Wilson

The salary's high given the team's scale. Look at what Kunitz and Beauchemin were signed for, and both were coming off better years than Big Pens last year. Yes, he scored 29 goals, but he still has a lot of holes in his game. Granted, in three years, this contract could look amazingly good.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkers View Post
I don't think anybody thinks for a second they can keep this team together for more than 2-3 years. This team has so much talent it's going to get expensive very fast. At the same time, what is truly important? Winning the cup or making a good trade?
"But to maintain the team as a championship contender you have to make hard choices. Maybe not this summer, but certainly next."

Quote:
When Scotty Nied's contract is up, reload the team around Pronger and Getzlaf. For now, pull out all the stops to win.
"Reload" is just another term for sucking for a few years while you build back up. The point should be not needing to reload, eg maintain a high level.

Quote:
Edit. And you must be kidding me about Miller and Rob being interchangeable. Robbie was a monster all playoffs.
Never said that. But the team is good enough to make it a non-issue. They lost Marchant to an extended injury and didn't miss a beat. As soon as Marchant came back they lost Kunitz and again didn't miss a beat.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 07:52 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
"But to maintain the team as a championship contender you have to make hard choices. Maybe not this summer, but certainly next."

"Reload" is just another term for sucking for a few years while you build back up. The point should be not needing to reload, eg maintain a high level.

Never said that. But the team is good enough to make it a non-issue. They lost Marchant to an extended injury and didn't miss a beat. As soon as Marchant came back they lost Kunitz and again didn't miss a beat.
I don't agree with that. I think Marchant' absence was huge, losing such a good defensive hurt us to the point of not playing our 4th line for the last 1/2 of the season.

And did you notice how much better the 4th line was once he was centering it again... I don't know why Marchant is so undervalued.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 09:05 PM
LondonKnightsCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
I don't agree with that. I think Marchant' absence was huge, losing such a good defensive hurt us to the point of not playing our 4th line for the last 1/2 of the season.

And did you notice how much better the 4th line was once he was centering it again... I don't know why Marchant is so undervalued.

The 4th line without Marchant wasnt very effective for sure, but if Miller and Carter are ready in then I could see them moving Todd. He'd be a valuable asset to another team looking for a 3rd line center, who can move up to the top 2 lines if necessary.

I agree though Marchant is undervalued.

LondonKnightsCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:27 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky Leclerc View Post
I will eat crow and live with it. lol However, I was just following the rules. But I'm sure that's what many Nazi guards said at those concentration camps.
Yeah, I know how that works and that you were just doing your job. I'm glad that you took it as friendly ribbing, as it was intended.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post

You can balance that with wingers better than Shannon and Parros. Keeping May and getting a guy that can play hockey better than big George would have been near the top of my TODO list.

Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:08 PM
Duck Fan

What is the deal? Did Penner get signed, or is it just a rumor that he signed for 3 years?

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 11:21 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
What is the deal? Did Penner get signed, or is it just a rumor that he signed for 3 years?
bump.. Has it been confirmed yet?

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:37 AM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Its done...it just hasn't been announced yet

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLau View Post
I actually liked Kunitz on the first line, he was the most physical player on that line and seemed to have good chemistry with Selanne and Andy.

I remember a lot of us putting Kunitz on the 3rd or 4th line before this season started (except for TheJoeMan), but I think its safe to say that he played an important role on that first line. That being said, we have to wait for Teemu's decision before making any changes.
yes but during the playoffs we could not get any mileage out of the 4th line. And it's not a normal 4th line it's still going to play plenty of minutes, during the off season the 4th line has to be a point of emphasis we need a guy who can hit and score goals, that's why I pegged Kunitz there but like I said I wouldn't mind him on the first either if Selanne comes back.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
It's not on file with the NHL as of the 19th - but that could just be a processing issue with Central Registry or they may have some other reason for not filing it yet.