HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Helmet help, please!

Old
07-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Helmet help, please!

I’m still kind of new to playing hockey, and it’s time to buy a helmet. I want a basic white helmet with an un-tinted visor, like those typically worn by NHL players. I would prefer something low-profile, because my head is already pretty big as it is (7 and 5/8 hat size).

So a couple of questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a specific (hopefully cheap) helmet?
2. Should I buy the helmet and the visor together?
3. If I buy the helmet and visor separately, how do I know if they will fit together? Will the visor come with screws and stuff to attach it to the helmet?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help!

PS: I already read the “Hockey Helmets” thread in this section, but the OP there was asking different questions.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
vincetheprince

1. Nike Bauer 4500 makes your head look small i find and is a real nice helmet. Im guessing your a devil fan so its the one Elias wears. Also RBK 6k,8k Bauer 5500. and Bauer 8500 are good helmets

2. Buy them separatly, id get an oakley or itech visor.

3.Im pretty sure all helmets(the one i listed up top) match all visors. You can ask the guy who works there and he will tell you if its compatible or no(although im sure it is).

vincetheprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 05:24 PM
lotus

I wear the rbk. Its nice but I kind of think their sizes run smaller than people expect so don't be afraid to go up if you get one. It's usually okay though cause they are easy to adjust the size of.

I have an Oakley visor and it's real nice, never fogged. But I don't use it much.

If you're new to hockey then you may want to consider a full cage. It's not about the puck coming up, but more so high sticks. You'll be surprised how many people get those sticks up around the face. Just last week during a game I was highsticked twice, hard enough to make my ears ring on one, the other would have caught me in the eye. No penalty call on either, you could imagine how pissed I was. Irregardless, I'm happy I can still see haha.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 06:58 PM
XweekendwarriorX

i like the way the older CCM looks. and it fits great on my head. i do wanna take a look at those cascades but they are a little expensive right now.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2007, 10:42 PM
sc37

vCash: 700
Try some on...best way to get one. Check out some of the Itech 100 or 95 cause those are nice ones and are being closedout with the Mission Intakes coming in last year. Just mention it cause HockeyGiant has them for like $10...but the 4500 is a nice one too, but since you've read the other thread-- helemts don't fit a like.

As for visors...get an Itech, cause first off they are cheaper and secondly are lower maintenance than Oakleys. You need to use a special treatment or spray on them otherwise the coatings on them wears out and you get spots or 'spiderwebs' on it.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
go to thrift stores and look for helmets.
i just found a red Cooper SK2000 for $2.99.
best buy of the year. so its a little old but its still a bad ass helmet and cheaper than hell.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
mmmjays

where can i get cheap helmets online?

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 01:15 AM
vincetheprince

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjays View Post
where can i get cheap helmets online?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=170662
Personally, i like hockeymonkey.com

vincetheprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2007, 04:21 PM
Devil Dancer

Thanks for the input, everyone. FYI I ordered an Itech 100 from Hockeyonestore, and a cheap Itech visor from Hockeygiant.

I would buy something locally so I could try it on, but the DC area sucks in terms of hockey equipment stores.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote