HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question about Alfredsson

Closed Thread

Old
01-19-2004, 05:52 PM
hubofhockey

vCash: 500
Question about Alfredsson

Question: Did Alfredsson recently guarantee--as reported either in Ottawa papers or electronic media--that the Senators would win the Cup this year?
If so, and there was a story in local papers or on the Net, I'd like to read it if someone could post it here.
Many thanks. kpd/hoh

Old
01-19-2004, 06:29 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey
Question: Did Alfredsson recently guarantee--as reported either in Ottawa papers or electronic media--that the Senators would win the Cup this year?
If so, and there was a story in local papers or on the Net, I'd like to read it if someone could post it here.
Many thanks. kpd/hoh
Alfredsson guaranteed that he wouldn't get his hair cut until they won the cup, but that was back in 1998. Actually he said it on TV, but as I recall, it was the interviewer who said "so, can you guarantee that you'll win the cup this year?" and he answered "Sure" or something equally flippant. He was humouring the questioner rather than making a statement, and he had a grin on his face when he said it. I'm sure somebody here will have a more exact recollection, but it was not too serious.

Old
01-19-2004, 06:58 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafite
Alfredsson guaranteed that he wouldn't get his hair cut until they won the cup, but that was back in 1998. Actually he said it on TV, but as I recall, it was the interviewer who said "so, can you guarantee that you'll win the cup this year?" and he answered "Sure" or something equally flippant. He was humouring the questioner rather than making a statement, and he had a grin on his face when he said it. I'm sure somebody here will have a more exact recollection, but it was not too serious.
Alfie most definitely uttered the words, it did not happen at all as you describe it.
I would agree with you that it was a tongue in cheek comment that was blown out proportion, though.

Old
01-20-2004, 09:09 AM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
I find it hilarious how much of a non-story this was in Ottawa, yet the rest of the league was all over it.

Old
01-21-2004, 04:00 AM
Lexicon Devil

The question was:

"Will this team win the cup?"

Never did he say anything about this year.

Old
01-22-2004, 03:28 PM
kidchrome

Here is the article Dec 30/03 in the Ottawa Sun

http://www.ottawasun.com/Slam031230/nhl_ott1-sun.html

Old
01-23-2004, 02:36 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD
I find it hilarious how much of a non-story this was in Ottawa, yet the rest of the league was all over it.

No doubt. I think I heard it on TSN. James Duthie was talking to Alfredsson about Pop Tarts or something. And he was just joking around and popped the question. Alfredsson gave a response... but to see the headlines, "Alfredsson guarantees Stanley Cup" is just ridiculous.

Alfredsson never said they'd win the Cup this season. I think he just meant that the Cup will be won by this group of players, whether its this year, or 3 years down the road. I think it was a complete over-exaggeration. I was watching OTR, and people were holding it against Alfredsson that he guaranteed the Cup, when they were talking about his character (after he tossed the broken stick)

Closed Thread