HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

what ELITE goalie

Closed Thread

Old
12-23-2003, 04:40 PM
FlyerFire

vCash: 500
what ELITE goalie

could we realistically acquire without giving up the farm?Biron, would he work here,cause Hackett appears to be dreadful.

Old
12-23-2003, 04:45 PM
bobbyboucher24

Had this same chat this morning with some friends, one of which works for the Flyers, but is in no way involved with any decision makings. We all agreed that CUJO is very available and would come rather cheap in terms of players. Detroit just wants to get rid of his contract. Is he elite? No. Would he be better than what we have right now? Good chance. Is he worth the $9 million? No, so what do we do. As for Biron, I would agree that Buffalo will have to eventually move one of the 3, though none would qualify as elite.

Old
12-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellionhellion2002
could we realistically acquire without giving up the farm?Biron, would he work here,cause Hackett appears to be dreadful.
Since when has Biron ever been an elite goalie?

Old
12-23-2003, 05:06 PM
FlyerFire

i didn't really mean

ELITE.i mean,which would get us the cup.i guess that's about as blunt as i can be.i realize no one player can assure that,but we need someone, NOW.i like Esche,though.

Old
12-23-2003, 05:30 PM
Brad*

Quote:
ELITE.i mean,which would get us the cup.i guess that's about as blunt as i can be.i realize no one player can assure that,but we need someone, NOW.i like Esche,though.
The Flyers have as good of a chance at the Stanley Cup with Esche/Hackett as they do with Biron.

Old
12-23-2003, 05:31 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
I'd rather have Esche than Biron. Neither have a playoff record and Esche has played much much better. Esche will be the man come playoff time, and I'm beginning to like it.

Old
12-23-2003, 06:02 PM
FlyerFire

as long as his

groin hold out.its apparent Hackett can't hold the fort down til then..

Old
12-23-2003, 09:17 PM
BrindA17

Send a message via AIM to BrindA17
I think everyone's hope is that Esche will pull a "Boucher" as far as the postseason is concerned.

Old
12-23-2003, 09:28 PM
Winston Wolf

I'm hoping he'll pull a "Brodeur", but I'm not banking on it.

Old
12-24-2003, 01:17 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
I would love to see CuJo as our starter. He's a proven playoff goalie (two ECF) and he just want to prove he's better than Holland thinks. The Wings screwed him up and he must be hungry to play for another team.
The only problem would be Esche. He has the potential to be a #1 goalie so he couldn't stay as a back up...And of course, the price tag for Cujo is not bust...

Old
12-24-2003, 01:27 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
[QUOTE=bobbyboucher24]Had this same chat this morning with some friends, one of which works for the Flyers, but is in no way involved with any decision makings. We all agreed that CUJO is very available and would come rather cheap in terms of players. QUOTE]

I, for one, am glad your friend isn't involved in making decisions. Like Cujo or not he could have been had for NOTHING. He was on waivers. He's already too expensive, to give up players for him would be rediculous.

Old
12-24-2003, 04:10 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Since when has Biron ever been an elite goalie?
If someone other than Esche is our starter in the playoffs, it had to be someone a hell of a lot more qualified than Biron.

Old
12-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
This is what we do... Send Hack-job to the minors, if someone picks him up off waivers, great, if not then he can't hurt the Flyers anymore anyways.
Next, bring up Little, he deserves it more than Hack does.
Wait for Cujo to go on waivers again, bring him in for the rest of the season and push to re-negotiate his contract since we gave him a shot when no one else would. Boo yah!

Old
12-24-2003, 08:58 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
the only young (legit) eilite goalies that I can think of off the top of my head are, Luogo, Fluery, maybe DiPietro and none of them are available.

Old
12-24-2003, 10:46 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy69
the only young (legit) eilite goalies that I can think of off the top of my head are, Luogo, Fluery, maybe DiPietro and none of them are available.
I would probably throw Blackburn in there after a psych evaluation after playing for the Rags. He may be too shellshocked. All those stars, all that ineptitude.

It may be a while before he can trust again

Old
12-24-2003, 01:46 PM
bobbyboucher24

DKF, you have to understand how waivers work. Yes, if you claimed CuJo off of waivers, you wouldn't have to give up players, but you would be responsible for the entire contract. That is precisely why you try to work out a trade, so that the Red Wings can still rid themselves of the player, but you can make them responsible for a portion of the contract.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:19 PM
blah

Fluery, Blackburn, and DiPietro are not elite goalies yet.

Kolzig hasn't been playing well this season and he makes too much to take a chance on. Any team willing to take a chance on CuJo has to be out of their minds. I'm not sure Burke would be an upgrade over the current situation either.

Old
12-24-2003, 11:22 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
This is what we do... Send Hack-job to the minors, if someone picks him up off waivers, great, if not then he can't hurt the Flyers anymore anyways.
Wait for Cujo to go on waivers again, bring him in for the rest of the season and push to re-negotiate his contract since we gave him a shot when no one else would. Boo yah!
LMFAO!

Old
12-25-2003, 05:23 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindA17
I think everyone's hope is that Esche will pull a "Boucher" as far as the postseason is concerned.
I'm hoping for a "Giguere." "Giguere" got his team to the finals.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:32 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
DKF, you have to understand how waivers work. Yes, if you claimed CuJo off of waivers, you wouldn't have to give up players, but you would be responsible for the entire contract. That is precisely why you try to work out a trade, so that the Red Wings can still rid themselves of the player, but you can make them responsible for a portion of the contract.
I understand that. Why do you assume that that isn't apparent? What players would we have to give up for them to eat part of the contract? Can we trade for the fact that we take them off their hands AND they eat most of the contract?

He is NOT the goaltender some people think he is. He couldn't get it done in Detroit. He flakes when the pressure is on. If we could unload a couple of nothings for them to eat enough of his contract it still wouldn't make him an actual upgrade. You cannot pin any hopes on him. Do you think the Flyers are better than Detroit? If that is your OPINION then I am glad you and your friend are not in charge of making decisions.

What YOU have to understand is stats don't win cups. He may have great stats but if you watch him in the playoffs you'll see he can't get it done. He will get taken out of his game, begin to make mistakes, and even take stupid penalties and hurt the team. That is his proven track record. He can't do it when it's on the line. By the time he's mature enough to handle it he will be too old and slow. THAT is why I don't want him at ANY price. Just my opinion. But it's based on coveting him and then seeing what he brings to the table when it counts. What is yours based on?

Old
12-27-2003, 12:54 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
The thing is, its very unlikely that we might throw cujo back on waivers. we've been winning with him lately, and we might as well let him play, leave hasek on IR, and not risk lossing any of them for nothing. Hasek needs to be 100% by playoffs, and right now, lewis is going with the hot goalie, and its cujo. Cujo's been playing good, and i think once holland gets 1 decent deal, i think he'll listen to others. Sooner or later cujo will be traded, atleast we will get SOMETHING for him, rather then nothing..

Closed Thread