HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Draft Central (Detroit draft talk).

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
  #76
Birko19
Registered User
 
Birko19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Hamilton, Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,729
vCash: 500
Petrecki looks like a pretty build mean guy, man he seems like a player the Red Wings really need, on the other hand I guess he fell because his hockey sense is not that great while the player we got is smart with great skills.

Birko19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
  #77
Mayor Mike
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Smart pick by Holland. This guy can be the next Niedermeyer. The transition to post Lidstrom era looks smoother now. Big d-man who can hit can be found in the later rounds. Hockey smarts are rarer

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
  #78
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Info on Brendan Smith from the draft media guide

BRENDAN SMITH
St. Michael’s • OPJHL
6'1.25", 170 lbs. Defense, shoots left
Born: February 8, 1989 in Toronto, Ontario
Final Ranking: 68 • Mid-Term Ranking: 157 • North American Skater
Central Scouting Report: A skilled defenseman with good puck skills... has
good mobility and a good skating stride... able to join the rush well and is creative
with the puck… needs to make better decisions with the puck and move it
quicker... needs to improve the consistency of his physical play.
Hockey Profile: Finished his second season with St. Michael’s leading all
defensemen in points with 36 (12-24-36) and tied for the team lead with three
short-handed goals in 2006-07… ranked third on his team, first among defensemen,
with 20 points (6-14-20) in 16 playoff games in 2007… selected to participate
in the CJAHL All-Star Game in 2006… played for Canada East at the 2006
World Junior A Championship, helping his team win silver… will attend the
University of Wisconsin in the fall of 2007.
Personal Profile: Nickname is Smitty… wears #14 after Brendan Shanahan…
patterns his game after his favorite player, Anaheim’s Scott Niedermayer “because
he is so defensively sound and has great offensive skill”… most memorable hockey
game played: a play-off game against the Red Wings - “I scored four goals and
had two assists”… most memorable hockey game watched: the final game of the
OPJHL against the Stouffville Spirit - “I was out with an injury”… his pre-game
ritual always includes stickhandling… if he could invite any three people to dinner
he would choose: Brendan Shanahan - “my hometown hero", Will Farrell -
“the funniest person in my eyes and at dinner you need humor” and Al Gore -
“he is a very intelligent person, I would love to talk to him and hear some of his
wisdom”… credits his parents for having the most influence on his career for all
that they have sacrificed for his hockey… admires his grandfather for his hard
work… favorites include: Buffalo Sabres (NHL team), “fake backhand then go
upstairs on the forehand” (shootout move), Seinfeld (TV show), NHL 2007 (video
game), Anchorman (movie), Will Ferrell (actor), Cameron Diaz (actress) and
Nickelback (group).
Statistics
Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
2006-07 St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 12 24 36 90

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
  #79
TRIARII*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Italy
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
petrecki looks like a total monster , i could kick kenny square in the nuts for not taking him .


Last edited by TRIARII*: 06-22-2007 at 10:39 PM.
TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:45 PM
  #80
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Next Niedermayer?
Lay off the drugs.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:52 PM
  #81
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,730
vCash: 500
Smith was playing against fairly lame competition last season and is a little small for a defenseman. I guess when you pick late in the first round all the time you have to take chances on less traditional players and hope they turn out for the best.


It's reassuring that the TSN panel believed it was a good pick.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:07 PM
  #82
Fugu
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Smith was playing against fairly lame competition last season and is a little small for a defenseman. I guess when you pick late in the first round all the time you have to take chances on less traditional players and hope they turn out for the best.


It's reassuring that the TSN panel believed it was a good pick.

I like what one of the guys said, McGuire I think....to paraphrase... If Detroit picks you, you know you're going to make it in the NHL. Or something like that. I think he felt that this was one of those great picks, overlooked by a lot of people. I think only the TSN rankings had him in the top 30. Interesting.

  Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
  #83
Spitfire11
Registered User
 
Spitfire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Good Flying Bird View Post
Info on Brendan Smith from the draft media guide

BRENDAN SMITH
St. Michael’s • OPJHL
6'1.25", 170 lbs. Defense, shoots left
Born: February 8, 1989 in Toronto, Ontario
Final Ranking: 68 • Mid-Term Ranking: 157 • North American Skater
Central Scouting Report: A skilled defenseman with good puck skills... has
good mobility and a good skating stride... able to join the rush well and is creative
with the puck… needs to make better decisions with the puck and move it
quicker... needs to improve the consistency of his physical play.
Hockey Profile: Finished his second season with St. Michael’s leading all
defensemen in points with 36 (12-24-36) and tied for the team lead with three
short-handed goals in 2006-07… ranked third on his team, first among defensemen,
with 20 points (6-14-20) in 16 playoff games in 2007… selected to participate
in the CJAHL All-Star Game in 2006… played for Canada East at the 2006
World Junior A Championship, helping his team win silver… will attend the
University of Wisconsin in the fall of 2007.
Personal Profile: Nickname is Smitty… wears #14 after Brendan Shanahan…
patterns his game after his favorite player, Anaheim’s Scott Niedermayer “because
he is so defensively sound and has great offensive skill”… most memorable hockey
game played: a play-off game against the Red Wings - “I scored four goals and
had two assists”… most memorable hockey game watched: the final game of the
OPJHL against the Stouffville Spirit - “I was out with an injury”… his pre-game
ritual always includes stickhandling… if he could invite any three people to dinner
he would choose: Brendan Shanahan - “my hometown hero", Will Farrell -
“the funniest person in my eyes and at dinner you need humor” and Al Gore -
“he is a very intelligent person, I would love to talk to him and hear some of his
wisdom”… credits his parents for having the most influence on his career for all
that they have sacrificed for his hockey… admires his grandfather for his hard
work… favorites include: Buffalo Sabres (NHL team), “fake backhand then go
upstairs on the forehand” (shootout move), Seinfeld (TV show), NHL 2007 (video
game), Anchorman (movie), Will Ferrell (actor), Cameron Diaz (actress) and
Nickelback (group).
Statistics
Season Team League GP G A PTS PIM
2006-07 St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 12 24 36 90
Are profiles from the draft media guide available online and if so could you post a link?

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:10 PM
  #84
TRIARII*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Italy
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
i think the above profile is same one i saw at tsn

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
  #85
TRIARII*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Italy
Posts: 708
vCash: 500
link =

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11063&hubname=

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:18 PM
  #86
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
Are profiles from the draft media guide available online and if so could you post a link?
http://www.degroat.net/stuff/NHL%20Draft%20Guide.pdf

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:24 PM
  #87
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Petrecki looks like a pretty build mean guy, man he seems like a player the Red Wings really need, on the other hand I guess he fell because his hockey sense is not that great while the player we got is smart with great skills.
We picked a player who will fit perfectly into the Wings style of play. Good pick.

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:12 AM
  #88
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,412
vCash: 500
I was pissed when Backlund, White and Perron went immediately before the Wings picked. Who knows if they would have picked any of them (I'd put money on Backlund if he'd been available), but those seemed like 3 top notch guys to me.

Don't know much about Smith, but he seems like a decent enough player. I wonder if he has or will ever have the physical edge that the Wings are still rather short on, and which is in such short supply.

Sweatt would have been a great pick as well. Or Ross, who went one pick later. Ross looks like a big time keeper IMO.

I'm still wondering who is going to score goals for this team. All the kids are passers...


Last edited by sarcastro: 06-23-2007 at 12:19 AM.
sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:55 AM
  #89
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
i disagree. i dont think ross is that appealing, while obrien seams a lot more appleaing....many compared him to the new getzlaf...

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:16 AM
  #90
The Winged Wheel
 
The Winged Wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marquette, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,825
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Winged Wheel
I like the pick, a lot actually. a nice sized defenseman who skates well and can score, what's not to like?

some idiot on the freep forum was trying to make the argument that ESPN had him rated 65th or something, as if ESPN was relevant source for anything hockey related.

The Winged Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:20 AM
  #91
Howard35
Registered User
 
Howard35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 21,337
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Howard35
xsharkie's report

43. D Brendan Smith, 6-2 175, 2-8-1989, St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 gp – 12 g – 24 a – 36 points.
++ Offensive upside
+ Size, speed, hand skill, creativity, point shot
- Defensive awareness
Very intriguing prospect on the back end that could be a real wild card come draft day. Based on pure talent he is worthy of a first round selection, but because of him playing all season against suspect competition and a questionable defensive game, Smith could fall into the third round. Possesses a tall and athletic frame to develop into. Smith is a great skater for a kid of his size and age with nimble feet, rapid acceleration, and a fast top gear. He’s proactive offensively as he loves to skate the puck up the ice on his own and he displays impressive creative in the offensive zone. His hand skill is phenomenal and his point shot is heavy and quickly released. The knocks on him is that he gets caught up the ice too often and his defensive positioning leaves much to be desired. Still, if he rounds out his defensive game he could be a real stud in a few years. He’s committed to the University of Wisconsin.

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:22 AM
  #92
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
Smith turning into a player near the level of Niedermayer isn't that far-fetched. The guy is ridiculously talented.

There was a quote in THN back in Nied's draft year that went "Just picks up and goes, but can't do that in the NHL". That describes Smith to a T. He's a joy to watch in the offensive zone, his skating is world-class, and he can play brilliant defense when he wants to... which isn't often enough.

I'd been hyping this guy to be Edmonton's pick at 30, and was angry to see him to go elsewhere. You're getting one of my favorite players from the draft.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:24 AM
  #93
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper keeper View Post
petrecki looks like a total monster , i could kick kenny square in the nuts for not taking him .
Petrecki looked like he was going to do it himself to everybody in the room, and then go and eat some puppies.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:29 AM
  #94
shveik
Registered User
 
shveik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,844
vCash: 500
Regarding Ross, I have to confess that he was not even on my radar, and reading some informed people describe his game, I am truly happy with this pick. Yeah, it is a defenseman. But it's not a boring "maybe turn into a 4th defenseman" kind of pick. Looks like sky's the limit for this fella, I am really excited about this pick.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:36 AM
  #95
JacksonGalaxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
I've got a couple scouting reports from McKeen's on Smith.

04/14/2005 - A fantastic skater; nice smooth stride, excellent lateral movement, speed enables him to join the rush freely .. develops plays with quick feet and able to carry puck deep into offensive territory .. confident with puck.. rushes plays but still gets back to support partner .. power play quarterback .. makes nice tape-to-tape passes .. is always aware of his position on the blueline .. patient with the puck .. has soft hands and is able to make a nice first pass. Projection: Played in all game situations throughout the year and the OHL Showcase. He has a very complete game and shows remarkable poise for a defenseman. His ability to join the rush and get back with such ease should make his transition to the OHL a smooth one. A likely first round pick.

10/18/2005 - Former first-round pick of the Buzzers is an exceptional-skating defenseman with great offensive instincts .. can make quick shifts and moves to gain additional ice .. used often as a quarterback on the powerplay and is taking a regular shift as the team's youngest blueliner (one of only two '89-born players on St. Mike's) .. would really benefit from adding an aggressive edge and playing with more desperation .. boasts a good-sized frame however he isn't overly physical and needs to learn how to apply his body instead of relying on stickchecks to tie up his man .. recovers exceptionally well though he tends to venture too deep into the offensive zone at times .. has been given the green light to explore his puckcarrying abilities and his skill is certainly omnipresent .. just needs to work on his overall defensive approach.

12/05/2006 - Has committed to Wisconsin .. plays a safe, responsible game .. he has pro written all over him .. his cool, calm demeanour to the play is a pure indication of how smart and intelligent he is on the ice .. not pressured into making mistakes .. appears to have put on a little weight on his 6'1 frame .. agile and athletic .. he is light on his skates and changes directions effortlessly .. has been more defensive minded this season as he only springs into the attack when he sees an opening .. his game has matured and he has improved on the things last year that were causing him problems, simply put he picks his spots better and does not force offensive situations .. does have a hard slap shot and gets it off in full flight .. a player who continues to develop which is always a positive sign for NHL executives.

You know, I like this pick. I don't know why everyone's saying small. He's listed at 6'1 or 6'2 everywhere and it's not hard to believe that if he bulks up he couldn't be a more solid 6'2 or even 6'3, hopefully something around 200 lbs. 6'1 and 6'2 is "smaller" but we don't have another Meech or Lebda on our hands.

I love the way the guy carries the puck. Search him up on YouTube, looks like a forward at times. That's not a great thing, he does need some defensive work and get a little more physical. That's why I think it's so good he's going the NCAA route. At a program like Wisconsin, he's going to learn a strong defensive game and hopefully bulk up a bit. He'll take some time but I don't want to rush him. I'd love a 6'2, 200 guy that can move and shoot the puck like he can.

So far so good, I'm glad we got him over someone like Perron, O'Brien, Backlund.. So many questions with those guys, Smith has some work to do but he's still a pretty safe pick. Seems like he'll be able to play even if he doesn't fill out all the way, just obviously won't be as valuable.

My top two guys that I wanted Detroit to get most were Brett MacLean and Nick Petrecki, so I was thrilled when our pick came up. But I'm looking at what we got instead of what we could have had, it's pointless to whine and wish we had Petrecki at this point.. He's mean, physical, and appealing overall but he's got work to do just as Smith does. In five years, I think there's a very good chance Smith is going to look really, really good at 27.

JacksonGalaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 03:44 AM
  #96
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
xsharkie's report

43. D Brendan Smith, 6-2 175, 2-8-1989, St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 gp – 12 g – 24 a – 36 points.
++ Offensive upside
+ Size, speed, hand skill, creativity, point shot
- Defensive awareness
Very intriguing prospect on the back end that could be a real wild card come draft day. Based on pure talent he is worthy of a first round selection, but because of him playing all season against suspect competition and a questionable defensive game, Smith could fall into the third round. Possesses a tall and athletic frame to develop into. Smith is a great skater for a kid of his size and age with nimble feet, rapid acceleration, and a fast top gear. He’s proactive offensively as he loves to skate the puck up the ice on his own and he displays impressive creative in the offensive zone. His hand skill is phenomenal and his point shot is heavy and quickly released. The knocks on him is that he gets caught up the ice too often and his defensive positioning leaves much to be desired. Still, if he rounds out his defensive game he could be a real stud in a few years. He’s committed to the University of Wisconsin.
I like, I like!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 03:56 AM
  #97
Filppula
Jurks
 
Filppula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Smith turning into a player near the level of Niedermayer isn't that far-fetched. The guy is ridiculously talented.

There was a quote in THN back in Nied's draft year that went "Just picks up and goes, but can't do that in the NHL". That describes Smith to a T. He's a joy to watch in the offensive zone, his skating is world-class, and he can play brilliant defense when he wants to... which isn't often enough.

I'd been hyping this guy to be Edmonton's pick at 30, and was angry to see him to go elsewhere. You're getting one of my favorite players from the draft.
Thanks mate, good to have an insight from those who have seen him play. Much appreciated and I must say I'm starting to be very pleased with this pick!

Filppula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 04:55 AM
  #98
Zoran Manojlovic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I was pissed when Backlund, White and Perron went immediately before the Wings picked. Who knows if they would have picked any of them (I'd put money on Backlund if he'd been available), but those seemed like 3 top notch guys to me.
Well, I can tell you that the Wings didn´t plan on drafting Backlund with the 27th pick. I talked to Håkan Andersson before and after the pick and he said that this guy was their man. They liked him a lot and he was in their top-15 rank.

Personally I would have preferred Nick Petrecki as he could be a very good compliment to Jakub Kindl down the road, and he adds a mean physical type of presence to the blueline. But Smith seems to have more offensive upside and could eventually be a top offensive dman on the team with Kindl.

Zoran Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 08:46 AM
  #99
Yorick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Joakim Andersson. . . drum roll. . . a Swede! Is there any room at the lutevisk table at JLA?

Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 08:48 AM
  #100
Yorick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Andersson profile: http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2007...ersson_in.html

Yorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.