HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

what was the name of that guy?

Closed Thread

Old
12-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Augustus

vCash: 500
what was the name of that guy?

In the early 70s (1970? 1971?) the Rangers brought up a young fellow with spectacular speed and skating ability who looked like a world-beater in warmup. Unfortunately he never amounted to anything and was soon gone. I have been going crazy trying to remember his name.

Can anyone help?

Old
12-24-2003, 01:42 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe Gene Carr? He was very fast.

The Internet Hockey Database
Address:http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...?pid%5B%5D=839

Old
12-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Gene Carr, of whom Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick once said, "He couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he were standing at the end of the pier."

OT: Been meaning to pose this trivia question to...er...older NYR fans. That is, anyone who has any recollection of the 70s. :p One of my earliest (bizarre) hockey memories is fans at MSG having a rooting section, a fan club, for a certain member of the California Golden Seals. This player was even more obscure than his team, which made the "___ ___ Fan Club" all the more humorous, in the dry manner in which it was intended. Marv and Sal used to comment on it, when the Seals came to town (and were summarily hammered by NYR). Ended as quickly as the player was out of the league, which was quickly.

Answer this one correctly, and you are instantly nominated for the NYR fan Hall of Fame. I cannot imagine anyone getting this, it is sooo obscure.

Old
12-25-2003, 05:59 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled in Florida
In the early 70s (1970? 1971?) the Rangers brought up a young fellow with spectacular speed and skating ability who looked like a world-beater in warmup. Unfortunately he never amounted to anything and was soon gone. I have been going crazy trying to remember his name.

Can anyone help?
Great avatar, by the way.

Old
12-25-2003, 06:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Gene Carr, of whom Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick once said, "He couldn't put the puck in the ocean if he were standing at the end of the pier."

OT: Been meaning to pose this trivia question to...er...older NYR fans. That is, anyone who has any recollection of the 70s. :p One of my earliest (bizarre) hockey memories is fans at MSG having a rooting section, a fan club, for a certain member of the California Golden Seals. This player was even more obscure than his team, which made the "___ ___ Fan Club" all the more humorous, in the dry manner in which it was intended. Marv and Sal used to comment on it, when the Seals came to town (and were summarily hammered by NYR). Ended as quickly as the player was out of the league, which was quickly.

Answer this one correctly, and you are instantly nominated for the NYR fan Hall of Fame. I cannot imagine anyone getting this, it is sooo obscure.
Craig Patrick?

Old
12-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Craig Patrick?
No, good thought though.

I'm trying to figure out how in the world to validate the answer, once/if someone gets it.

Old
12-25-2003, 07:30 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
No, good thought though.

I'm trying to figure out how in the world to validate the answer, once/if someone gets it.

well, it would have to be one of these guys.

http://www.bov.ch/hockey/allrostercgseals.html_old

anyway, since this is a bit before my time, im just gonna take a guess:

Bob Stewart. (simply because he was the PIM leader on the team)

Old
12-25-2003, 10:34 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Not Stewart, but yes, the player in question is on that list. Someone with connections to NYR is going to have to send off an email to Marv, Sal or someone in the PR department (or a writer?) for validation. Person would need to have knowledge of NYR hockey, pre-1975.

Old
12-26-2003, 05:44 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Morris Mott or Darryl Maggs?

Old
12-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Trottier
Very Random

We have a winner!

The Morris Mott Fan Club!

Was that a guess or a distant memory?

Old
12-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
We have a winner!

The Morris Mott Fan Club!

Was that a guess or a distant memory?
My Dad & Uncle had joked about Mott for some reason or another when I was first becoming a hockey fan(1979), so I took a guess

Old
12-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Skroob*

You bastid. I was going to say Mott as my 2nd choice, simply because i found the name funny.

Old
12-26-2003, 04:10 PM
Augustus

Quote:

Yes, it was Gene Carr. Thanks.

Now that I know, it seems anticlimactic.

Oh, well, back to my home site - the Maple Leafs, who have just been tied by the Rangers 5-5 in an exciting if sloppy game.

Closed Thread