HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Rick DiPietro a bust?

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 01:36 AM
lux_interior

vCash: 500
Is Rick DiPietro a bust?

With the immediate success of Marc Andre-Fleury, and Rick DiPietro hardly putting up gaudy numbers (7-8-1; 2.46 GAA, .897 SP) is it too early to start talking about the 2000 1st overall pick as a bust?

I must say, I rarely get to see him play, so I'd like the opinions of those who see him play more often.

Old
12-27-2003, 01:41 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
He did well at the start of the season but has had a couple bad games, I wouldn't say bust yet since a couple bad games can skew numbers especially at under 20 games played.

if he bounces back then no he's not, if he continues to flop then maybee it's time for the Isles to look for a new #1 or #2

Old
12-27-2003, 01:43 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Its waaay to early to call him a bust. However, if you asked me who I would take: Luongo and Heatley or Di Pietro, the answer is pretty easy.

Old
12-27-2003, 01:44 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
With the immediate success of Marc Andre-Fleury, and Rick DiPietro hardly putting up gaudy numbers (7-8-1; 2.46 GAA, .897 SP) is it too early to start talking about the 2000 1st overall pick as a bust?
Absolutely. DiPietro is 21-22 years of age. Goaltenders don't hit their primes until their early 30's. DiPietro has a lot of time left to have himself a stellar career.

BTW, numbers are a myth when it comes to deciding how good a goaltender is. The numbers you provided for DiPietro are a lot better than Fleury's numbers in Pittsburgh, yet you claim that Fleury is having immediate success. If the Penguins don't have a vastly improved defence by the time Fleury gets to where DiPietro is now in age, his numbers will continue to suffer....but that doesn't mean he won't still be a good goaltender.

This all being said however, I wouldn't put it beyond Mike Milbury to trade away his future yet again.

Old
12-27-2003, 01:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

This all being said however, I wouldn't put it beyond Mike Milbury to trade away his future yet again.
Who would

Old
12-27-2003, 01:55 AM
Spezza

Way too early. A bad run of form from Snow and Rick may well get back into the run of things.

Old
12-27-2003, 01:57 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza
Way too early. A bad run of form from Snow and Rick may well get back into the run of things.
Why do you think that Snow's play has anything to do with the Ricker's?

Old
12-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Le Golie

Dipietro was great to start the year off. Then the Isles were forced to unload salary and the dressing room revolted, the whole team sunk and Rick's numbers reflect that. Prior to the huge losing skid he was in the top 5 for GAA and wins and was above average in Save%.

Then Garth Snow caught fire, ignited the rest of the team and brought them back to life. They've been riding him ever since he began the turnaround. Dipietro hasn't played poorly, he was much better than Snow over the first 3-4 weeks until the Isles tanked. His recent stint on the pine has a lot more to do with Garth Snow playing over his head than Rick playing poorly.

He'll bounce back, no question. He has definitely shown that he is ultra-talented and is potentially a future Vezina winner sometime down the road, but it'll take him a while to start levelling out the peaks and valleys.

Old
12-27-2003, 03:47 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior

I must say, I rarely get to see him play, so I'd like the opinions of those who see him play more often.

since im a Isle's fan ..... heres some things to chew about.

J.Theodore was drafted in 94...didnt play more than 35games in goal in the nhl in one year in till 00-01 [59 games]

e.Belfour was signed as a undrafted free agent in 87,..didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 90-91 [74games]

JS geigure was drafted by hartford in 95...didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 01-02 [53games]

goalies take longer than defensemen to develop..the pattern seems 3-6 years to play at a regualr basis in the nhl

Now in reagrds to Marc-Andre Fleury...
17 4-10-2 3.20 .910 ...those numbers count as a immediate sucess??

Remember the guins have NOONE of marquee value playing...thats the only reason they are rushing him...

Unlike them...The Isles are trying to make the playoffs

The Rick will develop..but the Isles are riding the hot hand [Snow] right now to get some W's.
so give him a break its a little early to start the "hes a bust threads"

Old
12-27-2003, 04:05 AM
PSUhockey34

Drafting goalies is all about patience, easily its the hardest postion to draft for...I think Kolzig didnt become a starter till he was 28 or 29 years old

Milbury just got greedy, he had Luongo was already living up to his hype but instead wanted the next big thing in Dipietro...he has the attitude of a winner and a huge potential so I dont see him not being successful at the nhl level, but as of right now Milbury should've kept Luongo, in the future things have a good chance at being different

Old
12-27-2003, 06:41 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

I don't think Dipietro is a bust by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure he'd be better off on another team. His situation reminds me of Brian Boucher's a little. A younger guy who HAS to be the number one guy, or else..... Garth Snow is an impediment to his career IMO.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:42 AM
dragonwyck

vCash:
How do Fleury's numbers compare to Blackburn's early numbers?

Old
12-27-2003, 07:32 AM
txpd

I am entertained by even the thought that DiPietro is a bust. This comes at a time when Raycroft is riding the Bruins down thru the standings in their current tailspin in Boston and in Washington some are thinking its time to dump the load on Ouellet and either bench or trade Kolzig.

There is a reason why most of the best goalie in the NHL are veterans and why young impact goalies are a rare thing. The idea that a team in turmoil like the Islanders or the Bruins should be counting on a rookie goalie is ridiculous. If Thornton and Peca can't handle it, why do you think that Raycroft and DiPietro can?

You are correct that Kolzig did not become an NHL starter til his mid-upper 20's. Why are we pushing guys like Ouellet, Raycroft, and Dipietro so hard? Hell, right now while Luongo and Biron look pretty good on bad hockey teams, we have no idea how they would respond to playoff pressure on a good team.

Toronto is streaking this year and are riding a greybeard goalie, Belfour.
Dallas and to a lesser extent Colorado are unsettled in part because they have unproven goalies carrying the load. The Flyers have a trip trigger goalie situation. They stumble a couple of games and Flyer fans are ready to ditch Esche and Hackett. Would Luongo or Biron hold up to that pressure?

Old
12-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Dipietro is a bust. As is Blackburn, Lehtonen, Koivu, Svitov, Chistov and so on. For that matter, Ovechkin and Crosby are busts, too. After all, what have they done in the NHL! :p

Old
12-27-2003, 11:43 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
No, ricky d isnt a bust yet, if he's not doing any better in 5-6 years then he is now, then u could call him a bust, but he's still learning and has plenty of time

Old
12-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
since im a Isle's fan ..... heres some things to chew about.

J.Theodore was drafted in 94...didnt play more than 35games in goal in the nhl in one year in till 00-01 [59 games]

e.Belfour was signed as a undrafted free agent in 87,..didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 90-91 [74games]

JS geigure was drafted by hartford in 95...didnt play more than 35 games in one year in the nhl till 01-02 [53games]

goalies take longer than defensemen to develop..the pattern seems 3-6 years to play at a regualr basis in the nhl
But that begs the question, why even bother using a 1st overall pick on a goaltender if he won't be starter material for 6+ years? And even more importantly, why give him a rookie contract worth as much as 5 million dollars in easily obtainable bonuses? Somebody obviously felt Dipietro would step in almost immediately and be a starter.

Quote:
Now in reagrds to Marc-Andre Fleury...
17 4-10-2 3.20 .910 ...those numbers count as a immediate sucess??
As was mentioned in this thread, stats don't tell the whole story, and that's especially true with goaltenders.

Quote:

Remember the guins have NOONE of marquee value playing...thats the only reason they are rushing him...
The Penguins haven't rushed Fleury at all, in my opinion. I think that, since day one of training camp, they would have liked nothing more than to have been given a reason to send Fleury down. But from day one through training camp, into preseason, and even into the first month of the regular season, he basically dominated.

To the question at hand, is Dipietro a bust? Well, no, if a bust means that there's no longer any hope of him reaching his potential.

Old
12-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Hockeyfan02

Lets wait till hes actually in his mid-late 20s to call on DiPietro when hes actually a starter and not splitting time with anybody and in his prime.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:45 PM
nathan

It's unfair to compare DiPietro to MA Fleury.

Fleury is like in a whole class of his own no question about that. He's like Mike Vick, except for the NHL.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think he's a bust and should be shipped to Nashville straight up for goalie Chris Mason.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
It's unfair to compare DiPietro to MA Fleury.

Fleury is like in a whole class of his own no question about that. He's like Mike Vick, except for the NHL.
So I guess that makes him "Jordan in skates"? Oh wait, we already have Lecavalier for that...

Old
12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I think he's a bust and should be shipped to Nashville straight up for goalie Chris Mason.
NYI fans had better hope Mike Milbury doesn't read this.

Old
12-28-2003, 09:44 AM
joeminus

Send a message via AIM to joeminus Send a message via Yahoo to joeminus
For the love of god, he's only 22 years old!

This is Hockey's Future, isn't it?

Old
12-28-2003, 12:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
NYI fans had better hope Mike Milbury doesn't read this.
Yeh, we might talk him into throwing in a draft pick as well.

Old
12-28-2003, 02:09 PM
lux_interior

Thanks to all for answering my question.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:07 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I don't think Dipietro is a bust by any stretch, but I'm pretty sure he'd be better off on another team. His situation reminds me of Brian Boucher's a little. A younger guy who HAS to be the number one guy, or else..... Garth Snow is an impediment to his career IMO.
I find this curious. Snow is generally considered a #2 goalie who is hot right now. Rick had every opportunity to take the #1 spot and run with but it appears to be too soon. Rick is the goalie of the future and it all depends on when he gets the confidence and experience to take the #1 spot.

Why do you think Snow is impeding Rick's career?

Closed Thread