HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slava Kozlov ....

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2007, 10:49 PM
  #1
442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
Slava Kozlov ....

Really wasn't someone I was considering when putting together my desired FA's .... http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8006 .... So after reading this I got a bit nervous because of the word choice .... but then I remembered whose blog it was and rejoiced in it's unlikeliness.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 10:59 PM
  #2
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,665
vCash: 500
It's not the first time it's been speculated.

It was first mentioned in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday (which could very well be Eklund's 'source'):
Quote:
The rumors of Kozlov’s return to Detroit continue to circulate, as James Jahnke points out in the Detroit Free Press roundup. The Miami Herald’s Barry Jackson says the Florida Panthers are interested in Kozlov, but there are concerns down in South Florida that his asking price might be a little too high. The other Southeast Division team with some cash to spend, the Washington Capitals, might be a Kozlov suitor as well.
Depending on the term/size of a contract, he'd be a good fit. It's not so much his being of Russian origin but that he's a good puck possession, playmaker type. Seing as how he's just recently turned 35, he'd be eligible for a largely incentive-laden deal.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
  #3
EroCaps
Registered User
 
EroCaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,118
vCash: 500
Waddell recently said that re-signing Kozlov was Atlanta's #1 priority.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:20 AM
  #4
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,973
vCash: 500
Any time a name comes up between now and july 1st, teams are going to speculate the caps are involved simply because we have lots of cap room. I learned to brush it off last summer

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 06:49 AM
  #5
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,034
vCash: 500
Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe mentioned Washington first as a landing zone for Yashin in his Sunday Hockey Notes column. Every free agent center in the NHL has probably had Washington mentioned with him by someone at somepoint because of Ovechkin.

Kozlov makes some sense. SE division savy. Ovechkin savy. Good player, but not top of the payroll. Showed he can provide for a top player in Atlanta.

Would you rather have him or Nylander? Nylander has been tried once and I thought he was great, but since I am not a big fan of repeating I would be fine with Kozlov.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 08:55 AM
  #6
Foy
Registered User
 
Foy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 20,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe mentioned Washington first as a landing zone for Yashin in his Sunday Hockey Notes column. Every free agent center in the NHL has probably had Washington mentioned with him by someone at somepoint because of Ovechkin.

Kozlov makes some sense. SE division savy. Ovechkin savy. Good player, but not top of the payroll. Showed he can provide for a top player in Atlanta.

Would you rather have him or Nylander? Nylander has been tried once and I thought he was great, but since I am not a big fan of repeating I would be fine with Kozlov.
I'm more confident in Kozlov than Nylander. I think we are all remembering Nylander a little better than he was. Nylander has never produced much without Jagr on his wing, while Kozlov has shown he can help a player like Ovechkin in Kovalchuk. I also think Kozlov would be much more willing to take a shorter term contract than Nylander, who wants 4-5 years.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:14 PM
  #7
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,665
vCash: 500
As Foy said, Kozlov would probably come cheaper but I'd rather have Nylander considering how weak the Caps are at center after Backstrom. I think they could conceivably get by without a substantial winger upgrade, not so at center.

Both of these guys put up career bests last year in major offensive categories. Nylander set career highs in goals, assists and points while Kozlov set career highs in assists and points.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:28 PM
  #8
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
I really like Kozlov. I had the feeling the Thrashers were going to be creative and find any way possible to bring him back, so he's slipped out of my UFA dreams for the most part.

He has an amazing rep, I remember some of the comments made about him being missed in Detorit and then the credit that was heaped on him in Atlanta last year, including being credited for helping Kovalchuk's game mature.

He's certainly gone under the radar a little as far as UFA's go. I really had the sense they'd go to great lengths to make room for him in Atlanta, but it's easier said than done when your paying Holik 4+ and Rucchin 2+ million. They've got nearly 7 million dollars wrapped up in a pair of third and fourth line centremen.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:49 PM
  #9
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Let's see...

Kozlov is Russian....

He doesn't fit our major needs (D and center)...

He is in his mid 30s and will probably want $3 mil plus...


WHERE DO I SIGN?

Did I mention that he is Russian?

Everyone knows that whoever is Russian will be coming to Washington so the can have the pleasure of playing with Ovechkin. Its scripted in stone.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:56 PM
  #10
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24 View Post
Let's see...

Kozlov is Russian....

He doesn't fit our major needs (D and center)...

He is in his mid 30s and will probably want $3 mil plus...


WHERE DO I SIGN?

Did I mention that he is Russian?

Everyone knows that whoever is Russian will be coming to Washington so the can have the pleasure of playing with Ovechkin. Its scripted in stone.
I'm as tired of hearing every overpaid or unwanted Russian is wanted by the Caps as the next guy, but Kozlov shouldn't be lumped in with Samsonov, Federov etc IMO. There's a pretty big difference in his rep and his consistent effort/play if you can look past the nationality.

Oh, and yeah, he played as a first line centre pretty much all of last year is considered a natural fit down the middle - much more so than Zubrus ever was. One of Kozlov's strengths is that he can be moved from wing to centre and back to wing as seemlessly as anyone in the league and has been a PP force his entire career. So saying he doesn't fill a need is short sighted. Dismissing him for being Russian is almost as short sighted as assuming Washington is after Samsonov, Federov, Kovalev etc just because they are Russian.


Last edited by CapGoodie: 06-14-2007 at 02:29 PM.
CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:12 PM
  #11
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Cap Goodie - good post about Kozlov; I believe he is more effective on the wing than at center; another point is that he has missed only one reg season game in the 2 seasons since the lockout), but agree overall tired of the acquirung Russian threads, but still have to look at the player not the nationality. My biggest concern would be that he falls in that 35 and older category for a multiyear deal. And I heard what Foy did about Waddell wanting to bring Kozlov back, I guess the question is whether that is what Kozlov wants.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:23 PM
  #12
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Cap Goodie - good post about Kozlov; I believe he is more effective on the wing than at center; another point is that he has missed only one reg season game in the 2 seasons since the lockout), but agree overall tired of the acquirung Russian threads, but still have to look at the player not the nationality. My biggest concern would be that he falls in that 35 and older category for a multiyear deal. And I heard what Foy did about Waddell wanting to bring Kozlov back, I guess the question is whether that is what Kozlov wants.
As usual, I wasn't thinking of the CBA and contract implications. He's 35 so that does probably give the Thrashers (as well as other salary Cap strapped teams) some hope to sign him.

SK8, hate to make you be the CBA professor again but....Kozlov's 35 so he can be signed to an incentive laiden contract that doesn't automatically count towards the cap # right? What are the restrictions there? I'm assuiming he can't be signed to a 500k base with 6.5 million in incentives. Just when I thought my CBA understanding was coming together I realize I don't know the rules/restrictions for the 35+ vets. I know they have some slack with signing incentive laiden deals but not sure of the restrictions placed on them, cap affect etc.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:31 PM
  #13
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
I'm as tired of hearing every overpaid or unwanted Russian is wanted by the Caps as the next guy, but Kozlov shouldn't be lumped in with Samsonov, Federov etc IMO. There's a pretty big difference in his rep and his consistent effort/play if you can look past the nationality.

Oh, and yeah, he played as a first line centre pretty much all of last year is considered a natural fit down the middle - much more so than Zubrus ever was. One of Kozlov's strengths is that he can be moved from wing to centre and back to wing as seemlessly as anyone in the league and has been a PP force his entire career. So saying he doesn't fill a need is short sighted. Dismissing him for being Russian is almost as short sighted as assuming Washington is after Samsonov, Federov, Kovalev etc just becasue they are Russian.
Just because we played Zubrus out of position means we could get by with Kozlov out of position? That isn't a very heartening argument I'm afraid.

Kozlov has seen his best days come and go. He had a pretty atrocious playoff vs the Rangers and will be wanting some nice cash.

He's not going to help us down the middle (he certainly didn't help Atlanta down the middle and they had the same center iceman issues as us).

He's definitely not going to help us on D.

He's not going to help us on the forecheck..something we were TERRIBLE at last year. None of our players can win one on one battles down low outside of Ovechkin...Kozlov wont help there.

It seems to be a big waste of whatever limited resources the caps have.

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:35 PM
  #14
sk84fun_dc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapGoodie View Post
As usual, I wasn't thinking of the CBA and contract implications. He's 35 so that does probably give the Thrashers (as well as other salary Cap strapped teams) some hope to sign him.

SK8, hate to make you be the CBA professor again but....Kozlov's 35 so he can be signed to an incentive laiden contract that doesn't automatically count towards the cap # right? What are the restrictions there? I'm assuiming he can't be signed to a 500k base with 6.5 million in incentives. Just when I thought my CBA understanding was coming together I realize I don't know the rules/restrictions for the 35+ vets. I know they have some slack with signing incentive laiden deals but not sure of the restrictions placed on them, cap affect etc.
35 and older - can sign a one year deal with incentives or a multi-year contract without incentives; a 35 and older player signing a multiyear deal, the second and later years count against the cap regardless of player's status (with the Mogilny, LTIR exception of course)

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:36 PM
  #15
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,912
vCash: 500
Players 35 years old or older can sign a one-year deal with incentives.

Such players are not eligible for bonuses when signing for two or more years. Also, there is a cap hit for the entire duration of the contract, even if the player retires before the contract period ends.

Glancing through the CBA, I'm not seeing particular restrictions when it comes to the breakdown or maximums for bonuses, the way there exists under the entry-level system. Teams seem to have a fair bit of leeway there.

I believe teams do have the ability to carry over some of the cap hit when calculating the payment of bonuses at season's end. Atlanta, up against the cap, had some creative bookkeeping to do with Bondra one year and carried a penalty into the next season (2006-07).

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 01:50 PM
  #16
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Yes, a lot of people speculate about disgruntled Russians coming to DC. And I've been one of them. Mostly because in terms of salary, term and organizational needs they'd be good fits. Fedorov would solve a need for a #1 center, Yashin the same, Kozlov for a playmaking wing, Kovalev for same. Not a fan of Samsonov, or Zherdev. It just happens that a lot of the players who are realistic targets for the Caps this offseason, that'd fit into Teddy's budget, are Russian. Nobody should say they should be targets JUST BECAUSE they are Russian, and nobody should say they shouldn't be targets because they are Russian. If a player is good, experienced and fills a need, then get him

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:08 PM
  #17
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Just because we played Zubrus out of position means we could get by with Kozlov out of position? That isn't a very heartening argument I'm afraid.
Well, you might want to look at their performances before making a comparison between Zubrus and Kozlov - a guy who probably wouldn't have even been a winger in the NHL if he didn't break-in with a team already featuring an Yzerman-Federov punch and a young Kris Draper on top of it.

That's aside from Kozlov being a 20 goal scorer 10 times over and having played at centre in spurts his entire career, esp the past 4 seasons in Atlanta. On top of that, the three holes a lot of people identify with the Caps are first line centre, top 2 d-man, and top 6 winger. Kozlov's versatility is a big plus IMO. Is Drury better at 7+ million? Perhaps...but maybe Kozlov at 4-5 and then trading for someone (hyp) like Horcoff (3.6) or Langkow (2.4) , or whomever gives the Caps a lot more options, a lot more depth, and all the holes up front covered for equal or less cash.

Anyway, what ifs & trade stuff can be debated forever and I know you'd have little faith for Mcphee's next moves on the trade market - but considering what Kozlov has to offer to either of the top 6 holes I don't see how the Caps could lose making him a high priority either.


Quote:
Players 35 years old or older can sign a one-year deal with incentives.

Such players are not eligible for bonuses when signing for two or more years. Also, there is a cap hit for the entire duration of the contract, even if the player retires before the contract period ends.

Glancing through the CBA, I'm not seeing particular restrictions when it comes to the breakdown or maximums for bonuses, the way there exists under the entry-level system. Teams seem to have a fair bit of leeway there.

I believe teams do have the ability to carry over some of the cap hit when calculating the payment of bonuses at season's end. Atlanta, up against the cap, had some creative bookkeeping to do with Bondra one year and carried a penalty into the next season (2006-07).

Shifting gears, thanks for the reply Sk8 and Drake. In this instance I could see the Caps (financially) being attracted to a one-year deal for Kozlov that incentive wise would pay for itself with playoff appearances. Don't know why he'd sign for one year though, he's not the typical reclamation candidate (Lindros etc.)

I'm still somewhat curious if a guy could sign for 7 million dollars in incentives..not that it's a practical question lol.


Last edited by CapGoodie: 06-14-2007 at 02:14 PM.
CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 02:45 PM
  #18
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,912
vCash: 500
Personally, I'd consider giving him two years, salary within reason. I'm a fan, and he has as solid a pedigree as you could want. He rarely rocks the boat, as well.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:02 PM
  #19
Tinordi24*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Yes, a lot of people speculate about disgruntled Russians coming to DC. And I've been one of them. Mostly because in terms of salary, term and organizational needs they'd be good fits. Fedorov would solve a need for a #1 center, Yashin the same, Kozlov for a playmaking wing, Kovalev for same. Not a fan of Samsonov, or Zherdev. It just happens that a lot of the players who are realistic targets for the Caps this offseason, that'd fit into Teddy's budget, are Russian. Nobody should say they should be targets JUST BECAUSE they are Russian, and nobody should say they shouldn't be targets because they are Russian. If a player is good, experienced and fills a need, then get him
Federov is washed up and he hasn't helped Columbus outside of lightening their owner's pocket book. His supposed influence on Zherdev? How did that work out?

Yashin? The Isles wanted no part of him. Most people I've listened to (Denis Potvin being the loudest) are easily convinced that regardless of salary the Isles are better off without a cancer like him. They are a better team without him in the lineup!

Kovalev? The guy that shows up once every 5 or so games? The same guy collected massive paychecks and with possible health issues?

Kozlov is not a bad player. He will not help this team one bit. Our problems lie in giving up far too many goals and not being able to forecheck effectively. He'd probably be an excellent fit for many other teams however.

Semin scored 38 goals last year and provided 2nd line scoring punch. We ended up with the exact same point total as the year before and pretty much the exact same position in the league.

Remember we are buidling a team here. We shouldn't be looking at attractive parts that just won't fit in with what we are trying to build (we need D and C first). We certainly don't have endless resources!

Tinordi24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:24 PM
  #20
442
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,472
vCash: 500
I agree with Drake, his consistency even while jumping teams is what might sell me on him. Keeping in mind our trend of high priced / high exposure FA's I'd like to see GMGM dumb it down a bit and take someone a little bit more off the radar if that makes any sense. Maybe I'm just worried about the possible repercussions.

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
  #21
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Yes, a lot of people speculate about disgruntled Russians coming to DC. And I've been one of them. Mostly because in terms of salary, term and organizational needs they'd be good fits. Fedorov would solve a need for a #1 center, Yashin the same, Kozlov for a playmaking wing, Kovalev for same. Not a fan of Samsonov, or Zherdev. It just happens that a lot of the players who are realistic targets for the Caps this offseason, that'd fit into Teddy's budget, are Russian. Nobody should say they should be targets JUST BECAUSE they are Russian, and nobody should say they shouldn't be targets because they are Russian. If a player is good, experienced and fills a need, then get him
I agree.. It just so happens that right now:
1. Its doubtful whether the Caps can land any top players, and even if they could, whether it would cost too much.
2. A bunch of decently skilled Russian second-tier players are available
3. Some of these Russian players seem like a promising fit with Ovechkin, not so much by nationality, but by their combination of skill, size and the style of game they play.

So I'm excited, I hope the Caps take a chance on some of these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Personally, I'd consider giving him two years, salary within reason. I'm a fan, and he has as solid a pedigree as you could want. He rarely rocks the boat, as well.
ATL's Kozlov is a solid player. But I think in order to be effective he needs linemates who are physically strong and have a pretty high hockey IQ to play a more subtle game with him. Hossa was perfect for him in ATL. But I am not sure Ovechkin is ready to be subtle, while putting Semin and Kozlov together might easily yield a line that just does not have the energy and strength to take advantage of the skill. So regrettably, I think Kozlov might indeed be a better fit elsewhere.. I like the other Kozlov for the Caps..

artilector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 10:12 PM
  #22
txpd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,034
vCash: 500
Actually, what I really enjoy about these threads is the consistancy of the arguments. Each possible UFA player falls into three basic catagory.

1. Stinks or is otherwise a problem player.
2. Wants too much money for the Caps.
3. Would never sign with the Caps money or no money.

Personally, I think McPhee's job is safe. Since there are no players that are good enough, affordable and willing to sign up for a Ted check he can't get the wrong players. There are none to get.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 11:47 PM
  #23
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,108
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Actually, what I really enjoy about these threads is the consistancy of the arguments. Each possible UFA player falls into three basic catagory.

1. Stinks or is otherwise a problem player.
2. Wants too much money for the Caps.
3. Would never sign with the Caps money or no money.

Personally, I think McPhee's job is safe. Since there are no players that are good enough, affordable and willing to sign up for a Ted check he can't get the wrong players. There are none to get.
Heh, zen meister txpd! And I think your are correct in this.

__________________
True Story
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 08:38 AM
  #24
Bananas
****
 
Bananas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,404
vCash: 500
This is the Twilight Zone.

My only question is:

What would Daniel Snyder do?

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 08:54 AM
  #25
Xaroc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilwaukeesBestIce View Post
This is the Twilight Zone.

My only question is:

What would Daniel Snyder do?
He would sign 15 high priced underperforming free agents and miss the playoffs again.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.