HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slava Kozlov ....

Old
06-15-2007, 09:35 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
He would sign 15 high priced underperforming free agents and miss the playoffs again.
At least he would SIGN them....at least he tries! Leonsis should ask Snyder to explain the term "Committed to success". Personally I would love it if Snyder bought the Caps someday. You can be damn sure we wouldn't be doing any slow rebuilds under that guy. Right or wrong, he goes balls to the walls every offseason trying to improve the team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Wow if you are trying to use Snyder as a point for success in free agency I'm a bit scared.

06-15-2007, 10:06 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Wow if you are trying to use Snyder as a point for success in free agency I'm a bit scared.
times two

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:09 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Snyder is great at shelling out money with reckless abandon. He just needs a GM to make the personnel decisions (i.e Gibbs pulling Moss, Springs, Portis,Taylor, Landry)

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:45 AM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Actually, what I really enjoy about these threads is the consistancy of the arguments. Each possible UFA player falls into three basic catagory.

1. Stinks or is otherwise a problem player.
2. Wants too much money for the Caps.
3. Would never sign with the Caps money or no money.

Personally, I think McPhee's job is safe. Since there are no players that are good enough, affordable and willing to sign up for a Ted check he can't get the wrong players. There are none to get.
LOL, I just had to laugh at that post txpd, cuz it's so true. After a while of reading these threads you know what the person's argument is going to be, just by looking at their name. I'm firmly in the "he won't sign with us and we can't afford him" camp and others are in the "sign every high priced guy" camp and at least one person is "he sucks and is soft unless he is attempting to ram the opposing player thru the boards on every shift". The Caps will be signing and/or trading for players this summer. They did last year, and will this year. Leonsis and McPhee don't care about our opinions. They'll build the team their way

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwon View Post
At least he would SIGN them....at least he tries! Leonsis should ask Snyder to explain the term "Committed to success". Personally I would love it if Snyder bought the Caps someday. You can be damn sure we wouldn't be doing any slow rebuilds under that guy. Right or wrong, he goes balls to the walls every offseason trying to improve the team.
The guy gets an A for effort but never gets results. I think the Caps need to be more aggressive but I don't think they need to follow the old Rangers/Detroit/Redskin philosophy of just keep adding free agents until they luck into the right combination.

I think selective aggression is the best method. A guy like Kozlov or Nylander or Yashin makes sense for this team if we can sign them for a medium amount of money (between 3-4 a year) and for shorter terms (2 maybe 3 years). I think it gives the team more options and flexibility in the future as our guys like OV, Semin, and Backstrom grow into bigger contracts.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 12:54 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
The guy gets an A for effort but never gets results. I think the Caps need to be more aggressive but I don't think they need to follow the old Rangers/Detroit/Redskin philosophy of just keep adding free agents until they luck into the right combination.

I think selective aggression is the best method. A guy like Kozlov or Nylander or Yashin makes sense for this team if we can sign them for a medium amount of money (between 3-4 a year) and for shorter terms (2 maybe 3 years). I think it gives the team more options and flexibility in the future as our guys like OV, Semin, and Backstrom grow into bigger contracts
Good to know someone agrees with me

Old
06-15-2007, 01:12 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
The caps payroll is going to shoot up big time next year with AO/Semin coming into restricted free agency which is why I would be surprised if the caps just went into the 2nd tier FA.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
The caps payroll is going to shoot up big time next year with AO/Semin coming into restricted free agency which is why I would be surprised if the caps just went into the 2nd tier FA.
Shooting up from lowest in the league; and Jagr will be coming off the books, not to mention Olie's contract coming down or him retiring altogether in a couple years.

The Caps outright need significant upgrades. I can't understand why anyone thinks bargain hunting help them achieve their playoff goal this year.

Old
06-15-2007, 02:45 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Shooting up from lowest in the league; and Jagr will be coming off the books, not to mention Olie's contract coming down or him retiring altogether in a couple years.

The Caps outright need significant upgrades. I can't understand why anyone thinks bargain hunting help them achieve their playoff goal this year.
I think if we add a center at about 3-4 and a defenseman at 3-5 we can make the playoffs. Remember this is a team that played with Zubrus as our only NHL level center last year. A competent 2nd line center last year would have made a world of difference. A guy like Nylander or Kozlov is better than competent. Mix in Backstrom and we should have two decent scoring lines and a much improved power play. Add in that guy on the back line like a Kubina or whoever and that bumps everyone down a slot plus all the young guys are yet a year more mature and ready to contribute more.

Even the 2nd tier free agents *are* significant upgrades to this team.

Old
06-15-2007, 02:52 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I think if we add a center at about 3-4 and a defenseman at 3-5 we can make the playoffs. Remember this is a team that played with Zubrus as our only NHL level center last year. A competent 2nd line center last year would have made a world of difference. A guy like Nylander or Kozlov is better than competent. Mix in Backstrom and we should have two decent scoring lines and a much improved power play. Add in that guy on the back line like a Kubina or whoever and that bumps everyone down a slot plus all the young guys are yet a year more mature and ready to contribute more.

Even the 2nd tier free agents *are* significant upgrades to this team.
I don't think they can afford to go 2nd tier on defense. It was piss poor and needs rehauling while the young guys grown into their roles.

On offense, they might be able to afford leftovers so long as they beef up the defense to make the playoffs, but in the long run, it'll just cause too much turnover up front to really contend, IMO.

Old
06-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Xaroc

Quote:
I don't think they can afford to go 2nd tier on defense. It was piss poor and needs rehauling while the young guys grown into their roles.

On offense, they might be able to afford leftovers so long as they beef up the defense to make the playoffs, but in the long run, it'll just cause too much turnover up front to really contend, IMO.
I guess I am talking more about the forwards than the D when I am talking about 2nd tier. They do need a top two D in order to improve everyone else's game. I am not sure if that is a FA or a trade or what. But I look for them to spend about 8-10 million on UFAs/players they are going to trade for. Signing Gomez to a deal worth 7 a year doesn't leave us much to spend on defense.

Old
06-15-2007, 03:28 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
I guess I am talking more about the forwards than the D when I am talking about 2nd tier. They do need a top two D in order to improve everyone else's game. I am not sure if that is a FA or a trade or what. But I look for them to spend about 8-10 million on UFAs/players they are going to trade for. Signing Gomez to a deal worth 7 a year doesn't leave us much to spend on defense.
That would be highway robbery on Gomez's part.

Old
06-15-2007, 04:06 PM
TempusFugit

Players have been robbing GMs blind for years now. Bill Guerin, Martin Lapointe, Bobby Holik (twice), Alexei Yashin, Nikolai Khabibulin and Sergei Fedorov, among others, have all worn that bandido mask. This year it's Scott Hannan's, Scott Gomez's, Daniel Briere's and Chris Drury's turn

Old
06-15-2007, 04:09 PM
txpd

Quote:
I think we get back into semantics here. One person's 2nd tier is another's first tier.
The Capitals have a first tier player in Ovechkin and possibly another in Semin. Kolzig is a 2nd tier goalie and so is his contract. I think there are a lot of people on this forum, though, that would describe a player taking a Kolzig level contract as a first tier player.

Two things are true. One is that Ovechkin for sure and Semin very likely will require big chucks of salary cap space. The second is that you can't win if your salary cap is tied up in forwards. They need to invest in their defense. IF they don't pay a defenseman now they will likely never develope their young defense enough to worry about their salaries.

I would certainly not expect to save any space in the budget on the goalie position when Kolzig is off the payroll either. IF Olie plays three more seasons as he wants, Ovechkin will have played 5 seasons. That is put up or shut up time and I would not trust that time period to a rookie(young and cheap) goaltender. Varlamov or no Varlamov.

Yea, Ov and Semin will need extentions and they won't be cheap, but if the Caps are going to use that as an excuse to keep from commiting to a couple of other quality NHL contracts, they will never get anywhere.

Sooner or later Ted is going to have to decide if he wants to take advantage of having a once in a generation player or save money and deliver lip service.

I would love to have Drury or Gomez, but the Caps have Ovechkin and Semin and they can't afford to pay a center what those two will command at free agent time. They can afford to pay that money to a defenseman and then to a goalie as well when Kolzig is gone.

I would be happy with Comrie or Kozlov or somebody in that price range. It might be that Kozlov is the best choice because of his age. When he is done, Backstrom should be ready to take is role and his budget line too(meaning maybe both his and Kozlov's budget line together).

They need to buy a defenseman that can complete the package.

Last edited by txpd: 06-15-2007 at 04:15 PM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:32 PM
dbui72

I have been thinking he would be great for the team for a few years now.

The guy is really smart player and is consistent like others have said.
I rather have him then Nylander.

If we cannot get a Gomez, Briere, or Drury, I would be estatic to have hime.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:26 AM
octopi

I used to watch Kozlov back when he was younger and playing with the Wings. He tended to be inconsistant, but generally was a huge clutch goal scorer come playoffs.

I'm still of the opinion that AO should have a skilled veteran forward mentoring him. While I don't think Kozlov is the most desirable choice, he's not an awful one.

Anyways, its pretty clear Mats Sundin is not coming to Washington

octopi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 03:51 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
Players have been robbing GMs blind for years now. Bill Guerin, Martin Lapointe, Bobby Holik (twice), Alexei Yashin, Nikolai Khabibulin and Sergei Fedorov, among others, have all worn that bandido mask. This year it's Scott Hannan's, Scott Gomez's, Daniel Briere's and Chris Drury's turn
You can find a list of players that haven't robbed GMs blind if you tried.

Comparing the latter grouping of players to the former is kind of a joke.

Old
06-17-2007, 04:05 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
You can find a list of players that haven't robbed GMs blind if you tried.

Comparing the latter grouping of players to the former is kind of a joke.
What's your point? Are you under the impression that players, and their agents, are kind hearted gentlemen who won't grasp for every penny that they can get? Or that owners and GMs aren't incredibly stupid and desperate enough to overpay for one dimensional players who happen to fill a need they have at the present moment?

My point is that players will be overpaid this summer as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow

Old
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
What's your point? Are you under the impression that players, and their agents, are kind hearted gentlemen who won't grasp for every penny that they can get? Or that owners and GMs aren't incredibly stupid and desperate enough to overpay for one dimensional players who happen to fill a need they have at the present moment?

My point is that players will be overpaid this summer as surely as the sun will rise tomorrow
Well, yeah. That'll happen. But comparing Gomez and Drury to guys like Lapointe, Federov and Khabby? UFAs are almost always overapaid, as young players are almost universally underpaid. It's more or less the way of things. You need both, yes?

Old
06-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Back to the whole Snyder thing, I prefer his willing to spend rather than the woe is me song and dance we hear from Ted of late.

At least we really know Snyder wants to win. He shells out for whatever the team needs/wants/thinks could be good. Should he meddle as much? Heck no. But if you think he doesn't want to win badly, then you're blind.

I think Leonsis wants to win, but not at any cost. This team probably could've made the playoffs had they dropped in 10 or so more million this past year.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 05:56 PM
EroCaps

Snyder wants to win, but he goes about it the wrong way according to many behind the scenes. The Patriots, Colts, etc. all want to win and they waste far less money.

It's difficult to compare two different sports' parity systems. I think Ted is as passionate about winning as any owner in the league, he's just trying to go about it the right way. Losing money on a mediocre 1-and-out team is foolish. It's what he meant by the Red Wings being an "anamoly"...the one team that spends outright, brings in big names and continues to have success.

Most contenders are "cultivated" not bought. It's an attitude...IMO the Wings were able to do what they did thanks to Yzerman, Lidstrom, Holmstrom & Co. and what they brought to the dressing room as stabilizing forces.

Eventually Leonsis will have to decide if he wants to match tabs with yearly contenders or take his shots here and there and for the most part field a mediocre team on the cheap.

Old
06-17-2007, 06:46 PM
dbui72

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I used to watch Kozlov back when he was younger and playing with the Wings. He tended to be inconsistant, but generally was a huge clutch goal scorer come playoffs.

I'm still of the opinion that AO should have a skilled veteran forward mentoring him. While I don't think Kozlov is the most desirable choice, he's not an awful one.

Anyways, its pretty clear Mats Sundin is not coming to Washington

I was hoping for the same thing for both OV and Backstrom.

dbui72 is offline   Reply With Quote