HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who Here Has Seen A Game In The Old Forum?

Old
06-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000

The place where so much Cups were won! I was there once only, a tie with Calgary and Cournoyer has scored the goal for the Habs.

Who else did go there?

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:01 PM
LeHab

vCash: 500
My first game I ever went to was against the Rangers at the Forum. It was a standing place for about $7 or $8...good times.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:06 PM
knuck
On and off fan

I doubt i have ..... I saw a Disney on Ice show though

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:08 PM
flame_blaze

saw one game there, habs vs sens back in the days when thee sens sucked...it was the first time i'd even watched a hockey game.

habs won, koivu scored twice, and he's been my favourite player ever since!

oh, and it was just a few days before the detroit game after which roy was traded...

Last edited by flame_blaze: 06-13-2007 at 11:15 PM.
flame_blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
SpreeEndaz

I think I did agaisnt Boston in the Forum, then one agaisnt Buffalo in the Molson Centre and a dozen in the Bell Centre.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

I went to many many games at the old Forum.Was very lucky my uncle got me many many tickets.I was young but remember many games.I was part of the 1993 cup run by being there for game 3 against the Nordiques turning everything around for us.I remember perfectly being like 1 minute late arriving and it was already 1-0 Quebec Sundin had scored. Many good memories.I also assisted to a game against Buffalo,then the Islanders but was not lucky enough to catch a game against the Kings.I will be there next time we win the cup on home ice

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:18 PM
habs_fan_73

Been to the old forum twice! One against the Nordiques, which the Habs won! The other against the Blues when Brett Hull was playing for them.

Great place, filled with so much history!

I've been to the Bell Center many times. Best times were in the playoffs! I was there when Zednik got decapitated by McLaren... People were going nuts!!

habs_fan_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Avant-Gardien

Saw the Habs beat the Bruins in a squeaker at the old Forum back in what I think was '91 - couldn't think of a better first game for an eight-year-old Habs fan.

Avant-Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:20 PM
znk

I saw a couple at least.
The one I remember the most was a game against Dallas and Gainey was the coach. Gainey was honored for something before the game and Carbo played for the habs if I remember correctly. Habs won 8-2 or something.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Its too bad they had to move. Seems the infamous 'Fantomes du Forum' never took a liking to the Bell center. Maybe a Cup win weould bring them back!

Old
06-13-2007, 11:27 PM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post

The place where so much Cups were won! I was there once only, a tie with Calgary and Cournoyer has scored the goal for the Habs.

Who else did go there?
10 (or more?) to 1 for the old forum actually.
At the forum, we always had free tickets from relatives... After the move, we never got any more free ticket.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Saw a Habs vs Nordiques game years ago. That was cool because I am from Halifax, which was the Nordiques' farm club (I scored a goal on Ron Tugnutt once when our team had a practice with the Voyageurs), and my favourite team was the Habs. It was the year Lafleur played a few games for Halifax (NS actually) as reconditioning I believe... whatever year that was. I really liked the old Forum. It actually felt like "hallowed ground."

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
habs86

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to habs86 Send a message via Yahoo to habs86
was there many many times, was nothing to go and pay tickets of scalpers if i was not given tickets from family members. have not been to the molson center yet, looking forward to that night.

habs86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:41 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Its too bad they had to move. Seems the infamous 'Fantomes du Forum' never took a liking to the Bell center. Maybe a Cup win weould bring them back!
They probably are at Chez Paré.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
...(I scored a goal on Ron Tugnutt once when our team had a practice with the Voyageurs)
meh... Tugnutt... Either he was being nice to you or he was at his NHL best! Same result both ways..

Old
06-13-2007, 11:50 PM
BeliveauFan4ever

Just one game.

But thank goodness for that one game.

Mario's last visit to hockey's Cathedral. A sweet 7-3 Saturday night victory for the good guys. It was incredible to be in Montreal to see a game after TOO many years of waiting. Unforgettable.

BeliveauFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:52 PM
ChesterNimitz

When you refer to the 'old' Forum, one must remember that the famed building was completely renovated after the 1968 playoffs (Toe Blake's last season). The old, old Forum may have had its history and ghosts, but it was a particularly dark and unattractive venue to watch any sporting or entertainment event. I went to my first game in the early 1950s and, over the years, attended many games (both in Montreal and other cities) where I had the privilege to watch many of the players that have now achieved iconic status: Orr, Howe, Hull, Horton, Schmidt; Mikita; Richard, etc. I also walked the streets of Montreal the day after the infamous Richard riot. From what I saw and remember, it was a rather tame affair compared to the chaos that we have and continue to witness in the world today.

That is all.

Last edited by ChesterNimitz: 06-14-2007 at 01:45 PM.
ChesterNimitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2007, 11:59 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
I saw the habs beat Ottawa 4-3 in overtime in march of 1993.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNimitz View Post
When you refer to the 'old' Forum, one must remember that the famed building was completely renovated after the 1968 playoffs (Toe Black's last season). The old, old Forum may have had its history and ghosts, but it was a particularly dark and unattractive venue to watch any sporting or entertainment event. I went to my first game in the early 1950s and, over the years, attended many games (both in Montreal and other cities) where I had the privilege to watch many of the players that have now achieved iconic status: Orr, Howe, Hull, Horton, Schmidt; Mikita; Richard, etc. I also walked the streets of Montreal the day after the infamous Richard riot. From what I saw and remember, it was a rather tame affair compared to the chaos that we have and continue to witness in the world today.

That is all.
Man! I was born in the Fifties but i envy all the things you have seen! I would SO wished to witness the Richard Riot!

My true best wishes to you, sir.

Old
06-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Who else did go there?
My folks got me season tickets when i was a kid so we were always there
I was there a lot

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:19 AM
bipolarhabfan

I live 5000 KMs away from the Forum . I would have loved to have seen a game there, however. For those who have seen a game there, what was the atmosphere like? Was it better than the Centre Bell, or would this be nostalgia speaking?

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan14741 View Post
I live 5000 KMs away from the Forum . I would have loved to have seen a game there, however. For those who have seen a game there, what was the atmosphere like? Was it better than the Centre Bell, or would this be nostalgia speaking?
Well, speaking from my own skewed point of view, it was like being in a Cathedral, as some inhere have said. You came into the place: you KNEW this was where the Habs won it all 24 freeeeeekin times... and that made you think. Centre Bell is never even close but when we win the Cup back, the 'Fantomes du Forum' will have found their way home .

Old
06-14-2007, 12:28 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

No but I saw a 3-2 loss to detroit in 2002 at the Molson.

5-2 win last season against tampa at the molson now called bell

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:34 AM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Well, speaking from my own skewed point of view, it was like being in a Cathedral, as some inhere have said. You came into the place: you KNEW this was where the Habs won it all 24 freeeeeekin times... and that made you think. Centre Bell is never even close but when we win the Cup back, the 'Fantomes du Forum' will have found their way home .
Watching a game in an old building, such as the Forum, made the NHL game-experience distinctive, IMHO. You called going into the Forum as an almost religious-like experience, for example. Now, if the logo is removed in most ice sheets, no one can tell the difference. The only indicator that demonstrates the location of a building, for passionate hockey fans such as us on this board, are the lighting conditions in various arenas.

Here in Vancouver, I like watching a game at GM place but there is something more raw and less manufactured in watching a game at the old PNE, even though the site lines were just awful.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan14741 View Post
Here in Vancouver, I like watching a game at GM place but there is something more raw and less manufactured in watching a game at the old PNE, even though the site lines were just awful.
Well said man, but maybe this is hard to compare because 24 Cups were won in that old Forum. This place has become a symbol of sorts.