HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Steven Stamkos Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2007, 11:38 PM
  #1
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,167
vCash: 500
Official Steven Stamkos Thread

Well instead of UFAs lets now focus on the great talent in next year's draft. Let us aim for Stamkos of the Sarnia Sting! Kid is great. If we're going to suck, I hope we suck bad, 10th is too disappointing. I'd rather laugh at how bad we are instead of cry over how good we can be if that makes sense.

Not a thread to bash Gainey or anything, I believe he did all he could. Takes two to tango and it's not his fault players don't feel like coming here. Nice try Bob.

Still some guys left, but anyone that can make a real difference? If not let some kids come up, get a year under their belts. Get a great player to build around and use cap space for next year's UFAs while other teams cry at having tied $5-7M on players for 5-8 years.

I'm an optimist. Why get mad over this? Let's laugh and wish best of luck to our organization! All hail Stamkos!


Last edited by le_sean: 03-10-2009 at 02:10 AM.
le_sean is online now  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:40 PM
  #2
Namso
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,031
vCash: 500
stamkos in 08 is good, but tavares in 09 is better.

Namso is offline  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:42 PM
  #3
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,590
vCash: 500
i like that... lets finish last for the next 2 season and it will be great
+ thats the only way to get good players here.. by drafting them

One Trick Pony is offline  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:43 PM
  #4
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
stamkos in 08 is good, but tavares in 09 is better.
Don't worry. The UFA period will suck as much next year, and we will have a John Tavares thread as well!!! But Stamkos and Tavares would be awesome!!!

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:47 PM
  #5
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
I know it's really early, and I really want to win now... But I wouldn't be against playing our young players, letting them develop in the nhl, get rid of the dead wood, tank the season and draft a franchise player. At least, it would be refreshing. New blood, a new hope... It would be better than fighting for the freaking 8th spot. But I'd rather the team to win now. If not, the option of tanking sounds good to me, after all, we should have done it a few years ago. Looks some teams. They tank at the good moment and they suddenly become very good...

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:48 PM
  #6
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
i like that... lets finish last for the next 2 season and it will be great
+ thats the only way to get good players here.. by drafting them
It's true. Look at Raptors, no players wanted to go there willingly (i.e. Mourning), hard to attract UFA's, so they build from within. Some painful times, but they got Bosh, Bargnani, Villenueva (who turned into Ford), and signed some role players to surround them with and now it's a good team.

Or in a sense, look at the Blue Jays. They suck after they go out and get big name free agents, but the players who are actually producing the most are Rios and Hill, both drafted by them. Drafting is the way to go really.

le_sean is online now  
Old
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
  #7
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
I know it's really early, and I really want to win now... But I wouldn't be against playing our young players, letting them develop in the nhl, get rid of the dead wood, tank the season and draft a franchise player. At least, it would be refreshing. New blood, a new hope... It would be better than fighting for the freaking 8th spot. But I'd rather the team to win now. If not, the option of tanking sounds good to me, after all, we should have done it a few years ago. Looks some teams. They tank at the good moment and they suddenly become very good...
Exactly. We have been drafting well recently, but we don't have a franchise player (other than Price). We need that non-goalie franchise player, either a 1st liner who you can depend on game in and game out to produce, or the #1 defenceman that gives you offence and plays 25+ mins a game. We have the talented youth to surround him with.

And as to the people who talk about Tavares in 2009. Yes, it would be good, but actually any pick in the top-10 during that draft year would be amazing. Look like it's going to be the greatest draft ever. Tavares being the phenom, while other players can be franchise guys (Hedman, Rajala, Anthony).

le_sean is online now  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:03 AM
  #8
Papa_Bear_21
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 400
vCash: 500
I'm all for playing our younng kids and getting a shot at Stamkos next year.

After the disappointment of today, I think I could stomach an aweful season.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:05 AM
  #9
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL
 
Rise from the Ashes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Yes

Rise from the Ashes is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:17 AM
  #10
Ledevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
I like Yann Sauvé. We'll have a heck of a Big Three with him, Markov and McDonagh. I don't think we'll finish last, so for now I'm crossing out Boychuk and Stamkos.

Ledevin is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:27 AM
  #11
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledevin View Post
I like Yann Sauvé. We'll have a heck of a Big Three with him, Markov and McDonagh. I don't think we'll finish last, so for now I'm crossing out Boychuk and Stamkos.
Haha I bet you it will turn out to be like Esposito this year. We will have the chance to draft Sauvé and we will pick someone else, pissing the French media off. His stock is actually dropping, but there is still a year left.

How about the 2nd overall pick the next two years? Drew Doughty 2008, Victor Hedman 2009.

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

Possibly the best top-6 ever haha.

le_sean is online now  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:28 AM
  #12
ChemiseBleuHonnete
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 9,407
vCash: 500
what kind of player Stamkos is??? a scouting report would be appreciated!

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 12:29 AM
  #13
Ledevin
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Haha I bet you it will turn out to be like Esposito this year. We will have the chance to draft Sauvé and we will pick someone else, pissing the French media off. His stock is actually dropping, but there is still a year left.

How about the 2nd overall pick the next two years? Drew Doughty 2008, Victor Hedman 2009.

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

Possibly the best top-6 ever haha.
I'm betting on Cormier being the next Esposito

Ledevin is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 02:33 AM
  #14
Gardak
 
Gardak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Paris
Country: France
Posts: 218
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Gardak
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
what kind of player Stamkos is??? a scouting report would be appreciated!
A talented C (6'0 170 lbs) who picked up 95 pts last year in the OHL with the Sarnia Sting.

Player comparison : Joe Nieuwendyk

Qualities : (i quote HF's main site here) : Stamkos is a finisher, and protects the puck well. He Has good vision, is smart with the puck, and reads the play very well. A top-end offensive prospect.

Gardak is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 06:40 AM
  #15
Bermy
Registered User
 
Bermy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Bermuda
Posts: 2,462
vCash: 500
If we get the #1 next year, the guy we choose would probably end up like Wickenheiser lol

Bermy is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
  #16
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
what kind of player Stamkos is??? a scouting report would be appreciated!
Very young player who is not on the same level in the OHL as players like Kane, Gagner, Tavares, etc. At least not yet. Good all around skills. A complete package, but not a big guy . . . again at least not yet. Plays a smart game. Good energy. Does get knocked about a bit.

He is going to be quite good, but I don't think you want to roll over and die to draft him.

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 07:48 AM
  #17
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Haha I bet you it will turn out to be like Esposito this year. We will have the chance to draft Sauvé and we will pick someone else, pissing the French media off. His stock is actually dropping, but there is still a year left.

How about the 2nd overall pick the next two years? Drew Doughty 2008, Victor Hedman 2009.

Markov - Komisarek
Hedman - Doughty
McDonagh - Fischer

Possibly the best top-6 ever haha.
Wow. I really like Doughty, but how many defenseman can the minors carry for us.

JrHockeyFan is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
  #18
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,852
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well instead of UFAs lets now focus on the great talent in next year's draft. Let us aim for Stamkos of the Sarnia Sting! Kid is great. If we're going to suck, I hope we suck bad, 10th is too disappointing. I'd rather laugh at how bad we are instead of cry over how good we can be if that makes sense.

Not a thread to bash Gainey or anything, I believe he did all he could. Takes two to tango and it's not his fault players don't feel like coming here. Nice try Bob.

Still some guys left, but anyone that can make a real difference? If not let some kids come up, get a year under their belts. Get a great player to build around and use cap space for next year's UFAs while other teams cry at having tied $5-7M on players for 5-8 years.

I'm an optimist. Why get mad over this? Let's laugh and wish best of luck to our organization! All hail Stamkos!
Hmmmm, ok. I think we have a chance to make the playoffs just from our internal improvements, regardless of what UFAs we sign or don't sign. We also have a chance at Stamkos if we don't get those improvements. I don't sit here hoping for that, however.

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 09:35 AM
  #19
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,953
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Woohoo, go Tavares in '09.

WeThreeKings is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 09:37 AM
  #20
Pat
Registered User
 
Pat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Trois-Rivières
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Woohoo, go Tavares in '09.
that's what I'm thinking...lets finish last and have the chance to draft that kid

Pat is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 09:47 AM
  #21
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Do we have to trade Kovalev,Huet,Koivu to make sure we finish last?

CareyClutch is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 11:28 AM
  #22
STAALing
 
STAALing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
Do we have to trade Kovalev,Huet,Koivu to make sure we finish last?
Might aswell keep Kovalev if the goal is to finish last ? I hope Huet and Koivu get traded though, they deserve a shot with winning teams in the NHL... great guys.

STAALing is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 11:32 AM
  #23
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
I hope the NHL lets Tavares in for the next draft.

I would trade Huet and Koivu for sure. Koivu because he deserves it and Huet to give time for Price to develop in the NHL faster.

Pascal is offline  
Old
07-02-2007, 11:33 AM
  #24
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Habs10Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,364
vCash: 50
Wishful thinking guys, but we are not going to tank that badly to have a shot at Tavares or Stamkos....sorry to bust your bubble.

__________________
This is not a time to say goodbye. This is a time to say 'thank you'.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline  
Old
07-09-2008, 05:12 PM
  #25
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,713
vCash: 500
too bad Stamkos was gone 24 picks before we got our 1st pick


i did not know you were that unconfident le_sean

le_sean

Iwishihadacup is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.