HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Niittymaki to two-year $2.45 million deal

Old
06-15-2007, 09:36 AM
Rick Deckard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
I think Jakub Kovar (2006, #109 overall, CZE) is gonna be a good one, but there's still plenty of time before he crosses the pond.
Look at the CHL Import Draft at June 27th, some days ago there was some talk that he will come over to play canadian junior hockey next season.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:02 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Look at the CHL Import Draft at June 27th, some days ago there was some talk that he will come over to play canadian junior hockey next season.
That would be awesome. I love everything I hear about the kid and can't wait to follow his progress more closely when he comes over to play in NA.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:25 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9teen7ty5 View Post
I think Jakub Kovar (2006, #109 overall, CZE) is gonna be a good one, but there's still plenty of time before he crosses the pond.
Yeah but he's probably at least 3 years away from wearing a Flyers uniform.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:13 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Niittymaki's concerns were legitimate, and he expressed them to general manager Paul Holm-gren during recent contract discussions.

"When I was talking to him he asked me, 'I am going to play just five games, how much will I play?' I told him that how much he played would be up to him," Holmgren said.

"There was no animosity in his question. He just wanted to know what his role was going to be. I told him I didn't see Marty Biron playing 77 games and that he was going to have a role but how much he played would depend on him.

"And he said, 'OK. That's fine. I'm going to beat him out anyway.' "

I hope that's the attitude Niitty comes into camp with. Competition at every position will only makes this team better.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...iittymaki.html
Absolutely. Good for him, I think more of that type of attitude is needed in Philly.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:24 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Niittymaki's concerns were legitimate, and he expressed them to general manager Paul Holm-gren during recent contract discussions.

"When I was talking to him he asked me, 'I am going to play just five games, how much will I play?' I told him that how much he played would be up to him," Holmgren said.

"There was no animosity in his question. He just wanted to know what his role was going to be. I told him I didn't see Marty Biron playing 77 games and that he was going to have a role but how much he played would depend on him.

"And he said, 'OK. That's fine. I'm going to beat him out anyway.' "

I hope that's the attitude Niitty comes into camp with. Competition at every position will only makes this team better.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...iittymaki.html

ALRIGHT!!! THAT's the attitude I want to see from the rest of the team. Like him or not the kid still believes in himself and has a bit of a chip on his shoulder after last seasons disaster.

If he doesn't back that staement up and just ends up being Biron's backup then at least he's not a bad backup. If he does come out and beat out Biron then 1 of 2 things have happened, 1) He's turned the corner in his career and is playing great and poor Biron is stuck behind another franchise type goalie or 2) Biron falls flat on his face and we are stuck with Nitty by default and can expect another difficult season next year.

<keeping fingers crossed that it's NOT #2>

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:40 AM
MojoJojo

Over payment by 450K (since thats what we paid over his QO). Nice to have him as a backup, and hopefully he has the fire in his belly to beat out Biron. My expectations for him are pretty low at this point.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:37 PM
CarolinaFlyerFan

I'm a little surprised to see him signed for 2 years. I guess that pretty much eliminates Esche from the picture. Thank God.

CarolinaFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 06:28 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Kinda more than I expected, but oh well. Have fun rebounding somewhere else, Rob.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 06:33 PM
jb**

reasonable contract for a goalie who does have soem upside. could be involved in a possible trade as well. he had such a horrible year wonder how much the injury really hurt him. he looked like a totally diff goalie than the year before. wonder how he is valued across the league

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:52 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Well, if they don't offer him a decent contract then he simply goes home and plays in Europe for some good money. They must think that he can rebound and become valuable to the club, either as part of the team, or as trade bait.

Sure, it's a little bit of a gamble, but the team must think it's worth it.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Halifax Hellfish

Lets just hope that Biron isnt another Gerber situation like Ottawa was faced with. With that however , if these guys get along we could have one of the most reliable duos in the NHL a la SJ and Anaheim

Halifax Hellfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hellfish View Post
Lets just hope that Biron isnt another Gerber situation like Ottawa was faced with. With that however , if these guys get along we could have one of the most reliable duos in the NHL a la SJ and Anaheim
How are the Biron and Gerber "situations" even remotely similar?

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Halifax Hellfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
How are the Biron and Gerber "situations" even remotely similar?

They are only similar in the fact that we may have a # 1 in Nitty alerady and I dont know that Biron would be happy being a backup again. Its a risk in that it may disrupte things if a player can't accept their role. Gerber was bad so it was probably easier for him to realize that Emery was better suited to finish the season out. I just hope that Philly ist setting itself up for another Goalie contoversy as they always have since Hextall left.

Old
06-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
They are only similar in the fact that we may have a # 1 in Nitty alerady and I dont know that Biron would be happy being a backup again. Its a risk in that it may disrupte things if a player can't accept their role. Gerber was bad so it was probably easier for him to realize that Emery was better suited to finish the season out. I just hope that Philly ist setting itself up for another Goalie contoversy as they always have since Hextall left.
Biron is the starter, Nitty is the backup. Both know and accept their roles. Nitty has never done anything to prove he's a #1 goalie in this league, there's no controversy.

Old
06-17-2007, 04:13 PM
Halifax Hellfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Biron is the starter, Nitty is the backup. Both know and accept their roles. Nitty has never done anything to prove he's a #1 goalie in this league, there's no controversy.
Right, and Emery hadn't proved himslef either and Gerber had, thus a similar position as Ottawa.

Old
06-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Right, and Emery hadn't proved himslef either and Gerber had, thus a similar position as Ottawa.
Biron was brought in after Nitty had a horrible season and took himself out of the running to be the number one goalie. Different situation.