HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What changes can be made to the lineup???

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 09:21 AM
windowlicker

vCash: 500
What changes can be made to the lineup???

Here's the team, who goes/stays/gets called up:

IMO:

Conklin, Ty (not going anywhere)

Brewer, Eric (playing better.........plus Lowe seems to love his ability)

Semenov, Alexei (not going anywhere, is back to his 2002/2003 form)

Horcoff, Shawn (playing better..but still....)

Torres, Raffi (not going anywhere)

Isbister, Brad (...........is it too early to throw in the towel?)

York, Mike (not going anywhere)

Moreau, Ethan (stays)

Dvorak, Radek (stays)

Smith, Jason (.... with the way hes playing.. its an interesting case, will
come down to what kind of a contract he will accept)

Cross, Cory (long term contract aside... we just got Woywitka)

Staios, Steve (stays)

Laraque, Georges (hopefully he still has value in the East)

Chimera, Jason (...is it too early to give up on him?)

Ferguson, Scott (loyal foot soldier.. but the D numbers dont add up)

Pisani, Fernando (Has played himself into a "stays" status)

Salo, Tommy (gone next year....... miracle pending)

Stoll, Jarret (stays.. on the farm or here)

Bergeron, Marc-Andre (stays)

Oates, Adam (stays for now)

Hemsky, Ales (stays)

Smyth, Ryan (...he is the definition of an Oiler.. but what if someone
wants to overpay for him?)

In Toronto we have Rita, Salmo, Lynch, Woywitka, Sarno, and now Ulanov. On an injury-riddled team, most of these guys I think would be regulars or close to regulars.

As bad as this team has been lately...... I cant see too many changes being made. Honestly, on paper this doesnt look like a 13th place team. I want most of those guys to stay. So then what is it? What will turn this ship around??

Old
12-27-2003, 09:32 AM
zamboni

Quote:
Cross, Cory (long term contract aside... we just got Woywitka)
I'll have to disagree here. First off, Woywitka isn't ready for a perminant role on the team. Sure he deserves a few games sometime this season, but I'd rather let him continue his development in the AHL. Secondly, Cross has played a lot better lately, especially against Calgary. When he has confidence and isn't overplayed, he's a welcome addition to this team.

Quote:
Horcoff, Shawn (playing better..but still....)
He's played better too, and with Reasoner still out, I see no need to remove him.

Old
12-27-2003, 09:33 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

a powerplay and a penalty kill. now if you want to point fingers at that debacle, im one of those who blame the coaching staff, others point to the players. if it is the players than i would say a lot of them should be traded, but that is ridiculous.
salo to me is one of the major problems this year, i stress not the only thing wrong but currently a factor. the team does not play well in front of him at all, what concerns me is they seem to play better in front of conks. that to me is a definite sign the players are not confident in his ability. no doubt they support him but at what cost.

Old
12-27-2003, 10:04 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
I'll have to disagree here. First off, Woywitka isn't ready for a perminant role on the team. Sure he deserves a few games sometime this season, but I'd rather let him continue his development in the AHL. Secondly, Cross has played a lot better lately, especially against Calgary. When he has confidence and isn't overplayed, he's a welcome addition to this team.

He's played better too, and with Reasoner still out, I see no need to remove him.
I agree with you on Cross... but the truth is all of a sudden the D here does not add up. Smith and Brewer are the first pairing, Staios isnt going anywhere, Semenov and Bergeron have proven themselves, and from the sounds of it Woywitka and Lynch and going to be ready to challenge for jobs next year.

Thats 6 defensive spots, not counting Fergie or the 2 in Toronto.

Old
12-27-2003, 10:59 AM
GorillazXL

Share your the same fustration, I don't think we have a stanley cup winning team, or the best team in the league but to say we have a horrible team and the oilers should start trading players and rebuild the organization is assinine. I can't figure out why the PP and PK is so horible. It seems every game the PP has atleast one hift where they look like they're in control and then they complete goof at the last second, so goes the PK, they play solid for 95% of the time, and then a untimely error or a goalie brainfart and the opponent scores a goal.

Player who I would not trade:
Hemsky - There hasn't been this much talent in an Oilers uniform since Kurri
Brewer - He shows too many signs of the potential of be the Blake value type of player to be traded.
Semenov - tough to find size and good skating skill (lets forget the slippage against ANA?), w/ a big shot. But like any young d man has some work to do.
JDD - Solid raw skills and reflex, will be great once he smoothens the rough edges...

GXL

Closed Thread