HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should the Capitals pick at #5 if available.

View Poll Results: Who is your choice at #5 if available.
Kyle "So what I'm skinny" Turris 17 24.64%
Karl "Check out my new suit" Alzner 4 5.80%
James "New Jersey doesn't all stink!" Van Riemsdyk 4 5.80%
Jakub "Klepis stole my name and will be my waterboy" Voracek 23 33.33%
Patrick "Dudes...Sam Ganger took my One Ring" Kane 7 10.14%
Alexi "^*$*#(*%$#*J#@)$)(%$" Cherepanov 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
  #1
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,199
vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Who should the Capitals pick at #5 if available.

Since roughly the top 5 or 6 prospect could be almost pulled out of the hat in this particular draft what player would you choose if they were available at #5.

__________________
True Story™®©
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
  #2
Cush
-inator
 
Cush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,539
vCash: 500
#1 Voracek
#2 Cherepanov
#3 Ganger

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:21 PM
  #3
Marshall
Hi beat writers!
 
Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Old Town Alexandria
Posts: 12,223
vCash: 50
Turris\Voracek\Alzner

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
  #4
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
1)Turris 2)Voracek 3) Kane 4)Alzner 5)Hamil (I know, off the board but he's my personal #5 at this point.)

I've no interest in JVR with the top 5 pick, ditto for Cherepanov. If the Caps had an additional top 10 pick I'd like em' both but not with the sole top 5 pick.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
  #5
Devil Dancer
Registered User
 
Devil Dancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,726
vCash: 500
1. Turis
2. Kane
3. JVR
4. Voracek
5. Cherpy
6. Alzner

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
  #6
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,199
vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Sorry it was a poll it took me a bit to get up. No multiple choices allowed!

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
  #7
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 21,278
vCash: 500
I'd rank them as follows:

Turris
Voracek
Alzner
Kane
Gagner
JVR
Cherepanov
Couture
Backlund
Petrecki
Hamill
Esposito

These are all guys that I would not be surprised to see the Caps take. Obviously, I'd be more surprised about some than others, but I think this draft is that much of a toss-up.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
  #8
Langway
Flow➜Grow
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,429
vCash: 50
Turris
Kane
Voracek
Cherepanov
Gagner

I'm not so hesitant about Cherepanov. If it were a better draft crop this year I would be but it's not as though the likely alternatives at 5 (besides possibly Voracek) are substantially better right now or less of a bust risk. If Voracek is gone then I have no problem with them taking Cherepanov. He's inconsistent, sure, but when he shows up there's no better talent in the draft save perhaps Turris or Kane. I've seen nothing elsewhere to corroborate Woodlief's character questions.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
  #9
jensen35
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
I voted for Kane eventhought he will not be there.

jensen35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
  #10
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Turris
Kane
Voracek
Cherepanov
Gagner
That's it right there.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:51 PM
  #11
CapGoodie
Registered User
 
CapGoodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Scotland
Posts: 1,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Turris

I'm not so hesitant about Cherepanov. If it were a better draft crop this year I would be but it's not as though the likely alternatives at 5 (besides possibly Voracek) are substantially better right now or less of a bust risk..
This is a very good point, in that this isn't a year where teams can pass over a guy like Cherepanov so casually and still expect to land a highly skilled player. Even though I really don't want to draft him, he's a prime candidate for making some GM look like a genius and other GMs look like fools.

In a normal year, Cherepanov would be in Semin's shoes (draft wise). He'd be a guy seen as a top 10er but maybe slip due to the question marks to a place where some GM felt it was time to make a move up and grab him. Due to the risk involved taking a player so NOT well rounded but with such a high offensive potential he'd be a guy that in a normal year I'd be all for trying to trade down with the second pick to grab once you've got Voracek,Turris etc in the bank. However, weak draft with little in the way of high-end skill as comparible alternatives to Cherepanov means he's not going to slip to the middle of the round like Semin did.

I do agree though, I really don't want him but if the Caps were picking, say 7 or 8th and he managed to slip that far I'd have had to bite my tongue and agreed with selecting Cherepanov. Thankfully the Caps pick high enough to have reasonable high-end alternatives that make passing on Cherepanov a lot easier.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:36 PM
  #12
PSUhockey34
Registered User
 
PSUhockey34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Austin,TX
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 500
Turris
Voracek
Gagner
Alzner
JVR
Cherepanov
Kane

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
  #13
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
I'd like to trade the bloody thing and get some NHL quality in return. Getting tired of always looking to the future, especially with a loser of a draft like this one will probably be

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
  #14
malyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The City by the Bay
Posts: 3,772
vCash: 500
My order would be
Turris, Kane, Voracek, Gagner, Alzner, Cherepanov

Why can't I vote in the poll? Is there a minumum post requirement?

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
  #15
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 43,919
vCash: 500
I'd like to see it traded too. The Caps have drafted a pile of players in the last three or four years. They have two picks in the first round again. I know this is hockey futures, but at somepoint the Caps need to get to hockey today.

I am currently evaluating whether I buy centre ice this season. I live in NC and my only choice for Caps games is to buy them all or see the two or three they put on national tv...if they get that many next year.

Since these guys are at least two seasons away before they are NHL ready...I just don't know.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
  #16
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
usiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Malaz City
Country: San Marino
Posts: 10,199
vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I'd like to see it traded too. The Caps have drafted a pile of players in the last three or four years. They have two picks in the first round again. I know this is hockey futures, but at somepoint the Caps need to get to hockey today.

I am currently evaluating whether I buy centre ice this season. I live in NC and my only choice for Caps games is to buy them all or see the two or three they put on national tv...if they get that many next year.

Since these guys are at least two seasons away before they are NHL ready...I just don't know.
I hear ya regarding the center ice decision. I'm local so I don't have to make that decision. Maybe two weeks into July after the various moves there will be a better idea of where this team is on paper.

Then again look at Boston last year with Chara/Savard...bet their fans thought they were playoff bound. Maybe better to wait till the first month of the season, heh.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 07:06 PM
  #17
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 50
out of those Kane for sure then Voracek then Turris

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:48 PM
  #18
EYEuhFRAYtee
Registered User
 
EYEuhFRAYtee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 500
Voracek if he's still avail at 5.

I'd rather they keep the 5th pick and trade the late 1st in some kind of package, we have 10 or 11 picks this year.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
  #19
CapsCrazy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CapsCrazy
Anyone but Cherapanov. I'll pull my hair out if we draft him. Him and Zherdev are two peas in a pod.

CapsCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:10 PM
  #20
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
If you don't renew Center Ice you'll miss Backstrom's debut. I'll get it just to watch him

I have a feeling JVR's stock is going up, because he's a power forward and that's very "in" right now, because the Ducks won the Cup with a combination of size, skill and aggressiveness

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
  #21
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
If you don't renew Center Ice you'll miss Backstrom's debut. I'll get it just to watch him

I have a feeling JVR's stock is going up, because he's a power forward and that's very "in" right now, because the Ducks won the Cup with a combination of size, skill and aggressiveness
What are you talking about with the Center Ice.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
  #22
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
txpd lives in North Carolina and wouldn't be able to watch Capitals games without CI. Read above. I also live outside the DC area, so I get it every year to watch the Capitals

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
  #23
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
txpd lives in North Carolina and wouldn't be able to watch Capitals games without CI. Read above. I also live outside the DC area, so I get it every year to watch the Capitals
Oh Ok, yeah i have to get it too cause i live in Georgia. i didn't get what you were saying. The one thing i don't like with CI is you get the other teams comentaters half the time i wish you could pick the comentaters you wanted.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
  #24
TempusFugit
 
TempusFugit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Oh Ok, yeah i have to get it too cause i live in Georgia. i didn't get what you were saying. The one thing i don't like with CI is you get the other teams comentaters half the time i wish you could pick the comentaters you wanted.
I've heard that if you have Directv or certain cable systems you don't get a choice about whose feed you get, so much of the time you get really lame commentators. If you get Dish Network, like I do, you do almost always get to choose between two, or sometimes 3, feeds, if TSN is broadcasting it also. Always choose TSN, the San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, Washington feeds because they have one or more broadcasters who are very good. Always avoid Jeff Rimer (if he even has a job anymore), Carolina and Tampa feeds since their analysts just plain reek. You'll only get one choice for Philly (because Comcast runs their own Flyers broadcasts), Chicago home games and Montreal, tho ocassionally you get the Habs games in French

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
  #25
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president
 
Backstrom #19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Savannah Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,323
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
I've heard that if you have Directv or certain cable systems you don't get a choice about whose feed you get, so much of the time you get really lame commentators. If you get Dish Network, like I do, you do almost always get to choose between two, or sometimes 3, feeds, if TSN is broadcasting it also. Always choose TSN, the San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, Washington feeds because they have one or more broadcasters who are very good. Always avoid Jeff Rimer (if he even has a job anymore), Carolina and Tampa feeds since their analysts just plain reek. You'll only get one choice for Philly (because Comcast runs their own Flyers broadcasts), Chicago home games and Montreal, tho ocassionally you get the Habs games in French

Yeah we used to have Dish but we switched to Direct TV, Yeah i hate Carolina and Tampa cause they always bash us so much. And we get the French games too, it's kinda cool. I wish we could choose.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.