HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should the Capitals pick at #5 if available.

View Poll Results: Who is your choice at #5 if available.
Kyle "So what I'm skinny" Turris 17 24.64%
Karl "Check out my new suit" Alzner 4 5.80%
James "New Jersey doesn't all stink!" Van Riemsdyk 4 5.80%
Jakub "Klepis stole my name and will be my waterboy" Voracek 23 33.33%
Patrick "Dudes...Sam Ganger took my One Ring" Kane 7 10.14%
Alexi "^*$*#(*%$#*J#@)$)(%$" Cherepanov 14 20.29%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2007, 03:16 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Who should the Capitals pick at #5 if available.

Since roughly the top 5 or 6 prospect could be almost pulled out of the hat in this particular draft what player would you choose if they were available at #5.

06-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Cush
-inator

vCash: 500
#1 Voracek
#2 Cherepanov
#3 Ganger

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Turris\Voracek\Alzner

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:22 PM
CapGoodie

1)Turris 2)Voracek 3) Kane 4)Alzner 5)Hamil (I know, off the board but he's my personal #5 at this point.)

I've no interest in JVR with the top 5 pick, ditto for Cherepanov. If the Caps had an additional top 10 pick I'd like em' both but not with the sole top 5 pick.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Devil Dancer

1. Turis
2. Kane
3. JVR
4. Voracek
5. Cherpy
6. Alzner

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:31 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Sorry it was a poll it took me a bit to get up. No multiple choices allowed!

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'd rank them as follows:

Turris
Voracek
Alzner
Kane
Gagner
JVR
Cherepanov
Couture
Backlund
Petrecki
Hamill
Esposito

These are all guys that I would not be surprised to see the Caps take. Obviously, I'd be more surprised about some than others, but I think this draft is that much of a toss-up.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

Turris
Kane
Voracek
Cherepanov
Gagner

I'm not so hesitant about Cherepanov. If it were a better draft crop this year I would be but it's not as though the likely alternatives at 5 (besides possibly Voracek) are substantially better right now or less of a bust risk. If Voracek is gone then I have no problem with them taking Cherepanov. He's inconsistent, sure, but when he shows up there's no better talent in the draft save perhaps Turris or Kane. I've seen nothing elsewhere to corroborate Woodlief's character questions.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:34 PM
jensen35

I voted for Kane eventhought he will not be there.

jensen35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:42 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Turris
Kane
Voracek
Cherepanov
Gagner
That's it right there.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 03:51 PM
CapGoodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ididitlangway View Post
Turris

I'm not so hesitant about Cherepanov. If it were a better draft crop this year I would be but it's not as though the likely alternatives at 5 (besides possibly Voracek) are substantially better right now or less of a bust risk..
This is a very good point, in that this isn't a year where teams can pass over a guy like Cherepanov so casually and still expect to land a highly skilled player. Even though I really don't want to draft him, he's a prime candidate for making some GM look like a genius and other GMs look like fools.

In a normal year, Cherepanov would be in Semin's shoes (draft wise). He'd be a guy seen as a top 10er but maybe slip due to the question marks to a place where some GM felt it was time to make a move up and grab him. Due to the risk involved taking a player so NOT well rounded but with such a high offensive potential he'd be a guy that in a normal year I'd be all for trying to trade down with the second pick to grab once you've got Voracek,Turris etc in the bank. However, weak draft with little in the way of high-end skill as comparible alternatives to Cherepanov means he's not going to slip to the middle of the round like Semin did.

I do agree though, I really don't want him but if the Caps were picking, say 7 or 8th and he managed to slip that far I'd have had to bite my tongue and agreed with selecting Cherepanov. Thankfully the Caps pick high enough to have reasonable high-end alternatives that make passing on Cherepanov a lot easier.

CapGoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 04:36 PM
PSUhockey34

Turris
Voracek
Gagner
Alzner
JVR
Cherepanov
Kane

PSUhockey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:12 PM
TempusFugit

I'd like to trade the bloody thing and get some NHL quality in return. Getting tired of always looking to the future, especially with a loser of a draft like this one will probably be

TempusFugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:14 PM
malyk

My order would be
Turris, Kane, Voracek, Gagner, Alzner, Cherepanov

Why can't I vote in the poll? Is there a minumum post requirement?

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:20 PM
txpd

I'd like to see it traded too. The Caps have drafted a pile of players in the last three or four years. They have two picks in the first round again. I know this is hockey futures, but at somepoint the Caps need to get to hockey today.

I am currently evaluating whether I buy centre ice this season. I live in NC and my only choice for Caps games is to buy them all or see the two or three they put on national tv...if they get that many next year.

Since these guys are at least two seasons away before they are NHL ready...I just don't know.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I'd like to see it traded too. The Caps have drafted a pile of players in the last three or four years. They have two picks in the first round again. I know this is hockey futures, but at somepoint the Caps need to get to hockey today.

I am currently evaluating whether I buy centre ice this season. I live in NC and my only choice for Caps games is to buy them all or see the two or three they put on national tv...if they get that many next year.

Since these guys are at least two seasons away before they are NHL ready...I just don't know.
I hear ya regarding the center ice decision. I'm local so I don't have to make that decision. Maybe two weeks into July after the various moves there will be a better idea of where this team is on paper.

Then again look at Boston last year with Chara/Savard...bet their fans thought they were playoff bound. Maybe better to wait till the first month of the season, heh.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 07:06 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

out of those Kane for sure then Voracek then Turris

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 10:48 PM
EYEuhFRAYtee

Voracek if he's still avail at 5.

I'd rather they keep the 5th pick and trade the late 1st in some kind of package, we have 10 or 11 picks this year.

EYEuhFRAYtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2007, 11:06 PM
CapsCrazy

Send a message via AIM to CapsCrazy
Anyone but Cherapanov. I'll pull my hair out if we draft him. Him and Zherdev are two peas in a pod.

CapsCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2007, 03:10 PM
TempusFugit

If you don't renew Center Ice you'll miss Backstrom's debut. I'll get it just to watch him

I have a feeling JVR's stock is going up, because he's a power forward and that's very "in" right now, because the Ducks won the Cup with a combination of size, skill and aggressiveness

Old
06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Gorilla View Post
If you don't renew Center Ice you'll miss Backstrom's debut. I'll get it just to watch him

I have a feeling JVR's stock is going up, because he's a power forward and that's very "in" right now, because the Ducks won the Cup with a combination of size, skill and aggressiveness
What are you talking about with the Center Ice.

Old
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
TempusFugit

txpd lives in North Carolina and wouldn't be able to watch Capitals games without CI. Read above. I also live outside the DC area, so I get it every year to watch the Capitals

Old
06-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
txpd lives in North Carolina and wouldn't be able to watch Capitals games without CI. Read above. I also live outside the DC area, so I get it every year to watch the Capitals
Oh Ok, yeah i have to get it too cause i live in Georgia. i didn't get what you were saying. The one thing i don't like with CI is you get the other teams comentaters half the time i wish you could pick the comentaters you wanted.

Old
06-16-2007, 03:54 PM
TempusFugit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
Oh Ok, yeah i have to get it too cause i live in Georgia. i didn't get what you were saying. The one thing i don't like with CI is you get the other teams comentaters half the time i wish you could pick the comentaters you wanted.
I've heard that if you have Directv or certain cable systems you don't get a choice about whose feed you get, so much of the time you get really lame commentators. If you get Dish Network, like I do, you do almost always get to choose between two, or sometimes 3, feeds, if TSN is broadcasting it also. Always choose TSN, the San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, Washington feeds because they have one or more broadcasters who are very good. Always avoid Jeff Rimer (if he even has a job anymore), Carolina and Tampa feeds since their analysts just plain reek. You'll only get one choice for Philly (because Comcast runs their own Flyers broadcasts), Chicago home games and Montreal, tho ocassionally you get the Habs games in French

Old
06-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

Quote:
I've heard that if you have Directv or certain cable systems you don't get a choice about whose feed you get, so much of the time you get really lame commentators. If you get Dish Network, like I do, you do almost always get to choose between two, or sometimes 3, feeds, if TSN is broadcasting it also. Always choose TSN, the San Jose, Dallas, Vancouver, Washington feeds because they have one or more broadcasters who are very good. Always avoid Jeff Rimer (if he even has a job anymore), Carolina and Tampa feeds since their analysts just plain reek. You'll only get one choice for Philly (because Comcast runs their own Flyers broadcasts), Chicago home games and Montreal, tho ocassionally you get the Habs games in French

Yeah we used to have Dish but we switched to Direct TV, Yeah i hate Carolina and Tampa cause they always bash us so much. And we get the French games too, it's kinda cool. I wish we could choose.