HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

chrismas shopping ....trade rumors

Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2003, 12:40 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
chrismas shopping ....trade rumors

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/NHL_SC-RUMOR

i didn't write it for the one concerning the canadians ( peca ) but to let us know which players are avilable in the entire league

the one i like ....Philadelphia ; now that they sign Comrie , there is a rumor about them to trade with Calgary for Iginla ( phi add 1-2 other player/prospect )

Old
12-26-2003, 01:22 PM
habs1988

There is another rumors on ''HF Trade Rumors talk'' said that San Jose might be interested to get a d-men with experience in the NHL. The 1st name who comes to my mind is Craig Rivet.

Can SJ be interested in Rivet ?

Old
12-26-2003, 04:36 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003
There is another rumors on ''HF Trade Rumors talk'' said that San Jose might be interested to get a d-men with experience in the NHL. The 1st name who comes to my mind is Craig Rivet.

Anyone can be interested, it just the thing how much we want and how much they want to give

Old
12-26-2003, 04:38 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

The Sharks and Habs have traded before...

Old
12-26-2003, 06:48 PM
gabpas

If I were Bob Gainey, I would trade Rivet for Steve Bernier. We could throw in a prospect as well as required if SJ is interested.

Old
12-26-2003, 06:56 PM
KnuklZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabpas
If I were Bob Gainey, I would trade Rivet for Steve Bernier. We could throw in a prospect as well as required if SJ is interested.
SJ is also building a new team and I very much doubt that they would trade away their 2003 1st round pick for a D-man that would not even fetch a 3rd rounder in the upcoming draft. Its like saying that we would trade Higgins for Scott Hannan. Would you do that trade? Hell no, so why would SJ be interested in trading Bernier away.

Old
12-26-2003, 07:12 PM
gabpas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuklZ
SJ is also building a new team and I very much doubt that they would trade away their 2003 1st round pick for a D-man that would not even fetch a 3rd rounder in the upcoming draft. Its like saying that we would trade Higgins for Scott Hannan. Would you do that trade? Hell no, so why would SJ be interested in trading Bernier away.
Your point is well taken. That's why I said we would have to throw in a prospect as well and it would probably have to be a very good one (e.g Higgins, Perezhogin, or along those lines). I am not sure how badly San Jose wants Rivet and whether they would accept improving now and obtaining a prospec, as well, that may be a step below Bernier. It all depends what SJ's longer term needs and strategy are.

The trade proposal reflects an interest in Bernier a skilled power forward that would fit in very well in Montreal future needs. If I were in San Jose's position I would not trade such a good prospect - but everyone has a price. I would just be curious to know who San Jose would want for Bernier.

Old
12-27-2003, 11:26 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabpas
Your point is well taken. That's why I said we would have to throw in a prospect as well and it would probably have to be a very good one (e.g Higgins, Perezhogin, or along those lines). I am not sure how badly San Jose wants Rivet and whether they would accept improving now and obtaining a prospec, as well, that may be a step below Bernier. It all depends what SJ's longer term needs and strategy are.

The trade proposal reflects an interest in Bernier a skilled power forward that would fit in very well in Montreal future needs. If I were in San Jose's position I would not trade such a good prospect - but everyone has a price. I would just be curious to know who San Jose would want for Bernier.
You think Bernier is a better prospect than Higgins? I'm not so sure. I'm not even sure he's better than Perezhogin. And San Jose would also be getting Rivet?

Old
12-27-2003, 11:31 AM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
You think Bernier is a better prospect than Higgins? I'm not so sure. I'm not even sure he's better than Perezhogin. And San Jose would also be getting Rivet?
Steve Bernier wasn't even invited by team Canada, and he's not exactly ripping the LHJMQ right now.. He's not that good.

Old
12-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahan
Steve Bernier wasn't even invited by team Canada, and he's not exactly ripping the LHJMQ right now.. He's not that good.
Interestingly, although Bernier was selected in the first round of the NHL draft, he wasn't a high pick. A lot of teams bypassed him, not just the Habs. Of course, we all recall that Chris Higgins was the star for Team USA when he had the opportunity.

Last edited by Corey: 12-27-2003 at 11:49 AM.
Old
12-27-2003, 12:36 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Interestingly, although Bernier was selected in the first round of the NHL draft, he wasn't a high pick. A lot of teams bypassed him, not just the Habs. Of course, we all recall that Chris Higgins was the star for Team USA when he had the opportunity.
your not talking about the same draft, higgins was drafted in 2002 while Bernier was drafted in 2003

Old
12-27-2003, 01:23 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:

San Jose wants Rathje and McLaren to play more physical (which they had not been doing until recently), but they have also cut salary this year, so I can't see them spending $3 mil on a #5 defenseman like Rivet. Rivet has turned some heads in San Jose though with his sweet OT goal a couple years back.

Old
12-27-2003, 03:53 PM
theo6060

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
The Sharks and Habs have traded before...
Keep in mind that the last trade these two teams made there was a different guy running the show on both sides. I'm not saying it's not possible, but there isn't as much familiarity since we have a new GM and they have a new rookie GM.

Another thing that surprises me here. There is a serious underrating of Craig Rivet on this board. Sure, he plays for a big contract, but I think his contract is blinding a lot of you from what he brings to a hockey team. Rivet is a great leader, one who really will do absolutely anything for his team's success. Despite the off-season he has, he's still a pretty decent defenseman and a lot of you IMO are forgetting that. A guy who's got his leadership and experience at only 29 isn't worth merely a 4th round pick. If Gainey were seriously shopping him around, I'm sure most of you would be surprised with what he could get for Rivet.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:35 PM
gabpas

Quote:
IMO Bernier is a better prospect than Higgins. He's more talented offensively, much bigger and plays a strong two way game and can really play the body. His upside is a 1st line power forward. I like Higgins. He is going to be a good two way forward in the NHL but does not have Bernier's size or offensive talent. His upside is 2nd liner at best but more possibly on 3rd line as a good two way forward on the defensive line. Remember they were both drafted around the same positon but the available talent was much better in 2003 than 2002.

Perezhogin is rather small and pure offensive player who is having a hard time making it the AHL. He would just be another small forward on Montreal. Gainey has indicated that he wants Canadiens to get bigger forwards.

If I had a choice though I would trade Perezhogin before Higgins.

Closed Thread