HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malkin Proposal

Old
06-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Malkin Proposal

OK, Its June 17th and I'm a bit lit, and bored.

What If Pittsburgh called around the NHL feeling out what teams would give for Malkin.

What would Sathers offer be?

Would you give up Staal for Malkin?

I imagine he'd be a start

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:00 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
I don't want Malkin. I know he is definitely a great young talent and could dominate games, but his attitude drives me nuts.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:05 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I don't want Malkin. I know he is definitely a great young talent and could dominate games, but his attitude drives me nuts.
Yea? How so? I'd really be happy to have Malkin as our sceond line C.

Does he have a tude?

Old
06-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Malkin?

id guess theyd ask Montoya, Prucha, Staal, and a first. maybe more.

hes just a baby and has elite level skill. i think his attitude problems are way way WAY overblown.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Malkin?

hes just a baby and has elite level skill. i think his attitude problems are way way WAY overblown.
Thats a lot. He would be a serious franchise player though. More so than any of those guys except "maybe" Staal.

Just think what the Pens would look like "if" Marc Staal developed into a bona Fide #1star Defencman.

Is it worth it to them to give Malkin to get that Big D man so young?

Old
06-17-2007, 02:22 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Thats a lot. He would be a serious franchise player though. More so than any of those guys except "maybe" Staal.

Just think what the Pens would look like "if" Marc Staal developed into a bona Fide #1star Defencman.

i wouldnt. you win with defense and goaltending. we have both, why weaken it by giving away your best defenseman.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:52 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Thats a lot.
are you serious? how are you gonna start a malkin thread and not know that that's what it'd take for us to land malkin. personally i pass.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:29 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
i wouldnt. you win with defense and goaltending. we have both, why weaken it by giving away your best defenseman.
Yes I agree in theory. Except Staal is still unproven and I'm reasonably sure Malkin is the real deal.

Not sure I'd do it either....but I'd think about it.

Old
06-17-2007, 09:45 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

The cost for Malkin would be too high. Plus, while I love his elite skill level, I wonder about his mental toughness. With Crosby handling the role of being #1, Malikn's in a good spot to sort of hide behind his glare. He seemed to be pushed around in some bigger spots that I saw him. Maybe that changes as he gets more experience, but, I'm just not prepared to give up a player in Staal that I believe has the mental makeup to be a #1 D-man, regardless of whether he's considered to be one.

Last edited by jas: 06-17-2007 at 09:56 AM.
jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
John Torturella

I dont think we would be willing to give up everything under the sun to help a team in our division become a dynasty when we get one player in return. I would say Marek Malik or bust

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

I say no thanks. We have our plan in place, plus as our youngster mature and gain NHL experience we will just cherry pick a 27 UFA in the next few years to fill any void we may have. A long range plan is just that, long range. Do not lose your focus and your objective. Be PATIENT! Something Generation X needs to learn. Everything in life is not instant.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
TheRedressor

stay the course, draft a number 1 center. Sign a number 1 center.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Bretzky*

no thanks. Keep Staal. He will be a great Ranger. Then we can lure Jordan here when he becomes a UFA.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:45 PM
bar down*

Send a message via AIM to bar down*
malik for malkin. malik will score some goals for the pens, even if its on his own team

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:21 PM
Alison

Quote:

I will let you in on a little secret. The pens just signed a guy (FA) who is almost as good as Staal. His name is Jonathan D'Aversa. Jon was a Wolves player as well (the team has developed three young stud defence men who will play many years in the NHL).
Staal has proven himself in many ways except in the NHL but that won't take long. I have a feeling Malkin will never pan out to be what is expected, I see more of a Havlat career out of him, good when he is not injured.
The kid can't even show up at the awards and recieve his rookie of the year trophy because vacationing in Paris was so much more important. Crosby was at the Stanley Cup finals to recieve his Hart trophy and was at the awards. But I guess Malkin is too good for all that stuff.
Trust me your better off keeping your assets than sell the farm for this kid.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Interesting?

Not sold on Malkin. Cool. I think he's got some bona fide domineering skills that should only get better as he gets older, bigger, stronger.

He does expose himself to some wicked hits.

Interesting the majority of this thread is so neg on Malkin

Old
06-17-2007, 10:55 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Malkin?

That probably is what they would ask for. Obviously we would reject but they aren't giving him away unless they are getting some serious elite potential talent back.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:14 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
I will let you in on a little secret. The pens just signed a guy (FA) who is almost as good as Staal. His name is Jonathan D'Aversa. Jon was a Wolves player as well (the team has developed three young stud defence men who will play many years in the NHL).
Staal has proven himself in many ways except in the NHL but that won't take long. I have a feeling Malkin will never pan out to be what is expected, I see more of a Havlat career out of him, good when he is not injured.
The kid can't even show up at the awards and recieve his rookie of the year trophy because vacationing in Paris was so much more important. Crosby was at the Stanley Cup finals to recieve his Hart trophy and was at the awards. But I guess Malkin is too good for all that stuff.
Trust me your better off keeping your assets than sell the farm for this kid.
Wow, this is absurd.

1. Staal is much better than D'Aversa. It's asinine to say otherwise.
2. How is Malkin even remotely comparable to Havlat? Havlat is an elite player when he isn't injured. Malkin doesn't have injury issues. Not to mention, Malkin scored more points as a rookie than Havlat has ever scored...by quite a large margin.
3. Between playing for the Pens, Team Russia and Magnitogorsk, Malkin hasn't really had any time off to relax in 2 years. You expect him to fly across the Atlantic just to accept the Calder in person at some poorly planned, mickey mouse gala? Come on.

As to the original poster's question, strictly hypothetically, the package would have to start with Staal and include a few other players/prospects as well. I'm not sure New York has enough to get Malkin. A poster mentioned a package of Staal, Montoya, Prucha and a first. Value wise, it's pretty fair, but Montoya is useless to us considering we have Fleury. Personally, I'm not a fan of Prucha and a late first isn't going to make much of a difference in a deal like this. Ultimately I think negotiations would fall apart and the Pens would move on to a team with a deeper pool of prospects to deal. Like I said though, it's all hypothetical because there is zero chance Malkin will be dealt.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:

Interesting the majority of this thread is so neg on Malkin
Well he simply is no Ovechkin or Crosby.
Not so much negativity towards him, just don't want to sell the farm for him.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 06-17-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:29 PM
PromNite
Cloud Strife

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf22 View Post
Well he simply is no Ovechkin or Crosby.
Not so much negativity towards him, just don't want to sell the farm for him.
I understand your point... but who is and OV or Crosby...?

Only Alex and Sid.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNiteDumpsterBaby View Post
I understand your point... but who is and OV or Crosby...?

Only Alex and Sid.
Well Malkin was very hyped up before he came across the pond as if some people expected him to be like Sid and Alex.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:54 AM
xander

the underrating of a guy who scored 85 points as a 20 year old rookie is just absurd. If Staal clicks on all cylinders then he's Mattias Ohlund, if Malkin does then he's Joe Sakic with three more inches (use these comparisons loosely.) And Malkin's already put in a ppg season in the NHL while Staal, as polished as he is, hasn't played a game in the league yet.

Take off the blue tinted glasses people; Malkin is already a big time player with a chance to be great. Staal is a good prospect who probably tops out at very good. You make that deal every day of the week. But this is a mute point because he'll never be moved (at least not until the pens run out of cap space.)

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:20 AM
Alison

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
Wow, this is absurd.

1. Staal is much better than D'Aversa. It's asinine to say otherwise.
2. How is Malkin even remotely comparable to Havlat? Havlat is an elite player when he isn't injured. Malkin doesn't have injury issues. Not to mention, Malkin scored more points as a rookie than Havlat has ever scored...by quite a large margin.
3. Between playing for the Pens, Team Russia and Magnitogorsk, Malkin hasn't really had any time off to relax in 2 years. You expect him to fly across the Atlantic just to accept the Calder in person at some poorly planned, mickey mouse gala? Come on.

As to the original poster's question, strictly hypothetically, the package would have to start with Staal and include a few other players/prospects as well. I'm not sure New York has enough to get Malkin. A poster mentioned a package of Staal, Montoya, Prucha and a first. Value wise, it's pretty fair, but Montoya is useless to us considering we have Fleury. Personally, I'm not a fan of Prucha and a late first isn't going to make much of a difference in a deal like this. Ultimately I think negotiations would fall apart and the Pens would move on to a team with a deeper pool of prospects to deal. Like I said though, it's all hypothetical because there is zero chance Malkin will be dealt.
Sorry D'Aversa is a hairs thickness away in talent than Staal, Staal is a totally clutch though while D'Aversa goes about his job quietly. I have watched them both play their full career here and to say otherwise is assinine. You will see next year. AS for Malkin and the no break excuse bahh that is boloney, many players have indeed played more than he has the past two years and are older than him and are not burnt out, remember the NHL season is much longer. If anything it shows his mental strength is not up to par. As for Malkin not having injury issues he was injured pre-season last year, and I expect that this will become a career pattern. I am not saying he is not a great player he is but I don't think he will live up to what is expected of him. And to fly across the ocean to get his award, most definantly he should have. I don't give a **** what people think about the ceremony but to be picked as rookie of the year is an amazing feat and to snub your nose at the ceremony is totally ignorant.This will be a very good thread to revisit in a few years. I could very well be wrong about Malkin perhaps he will remain injury free and not become exhausted from the NHL schedual, but I have a hard time seeing it that way. I would still pick him in my pool though

And xander Staal will be a much much better player than Ohlund.

Alison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:02 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsjimster View Post
malik for malkin. malik will score some goals for the pens, even if its on his own team

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:14 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You make that deal every day of the week.
I disagree. Stability has to be a factor at some point.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote