HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Malkin Proposal

Old
06-18-2007, 09:20 AM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
I don't want Malkin. I know he is definitely a great young talent and could dominate games, but his attitude drives me nuts.
same here

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:54 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
Wow, this is absurd.

1. Staal is much better than D'Aversa. It's asinine to say otherwise.
2. How is Malkin even remotely comparable to Havlat? Havlat is an elite player when he isn't injured. Malkin doesn't have injury issues. Not to mention, Malkin scored more points as a rookie than Havlat has ever scored...by quite a large margin.
3. Between playing for the Pens, Team Russia and Magnitogorsk, Malkin hasn't really had any time off to relax in 2 years. You expect him to fly across the Atlantic just to accept the Calder in person at some poorly planned, mickey mouse gala? Come on.

As to the original poster's question, strictly hypothetically, the package would have to start with Staal and include a few other players/prospects as well. I'm not sure New York has enough to get Malkin. A poster mentioned a package of Staal, Montoya, Prucha and a first. Value wise, it's pretty fair, but Montoya is useless to us considering we have Fleury. Personally, I'm not a fan of Prucha and a late first isn't going to make much of a difference in a deal like this. Ultimately I think negotiations would fall apart and the Pens would move on to a team with a deeper pool of prospects to deal. Like I said though, it's all hypothetical because there is zero chance Malkin will be dealt.

agreed...totally absurd

06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I disagree. Stability has to be a factor at some point.
Stability? Staal's never played a game for this organization. How does moving him affect stability?

All the complaints made about Malkin's attitude could also have been made about a young (and older) Jaromir Jagr. Oh, and Malkin outscored Jagr in his rookie year (as well as Jagr's second year.) If you have a chance to get Malkin, you do it, but it's a pipe dream anyway.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:16 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
All the complaints made about Malkin's attitude could also have been made about a young (and older) Jaromir Jagr. Oh, and Malkin outscored Jagr in his rookie year (as well as Jagr's second year.) If you have a chance to get Malkin, you do it, but it's a pipe dream anyway.
That's true, but it would be a stretch to think Malkin in his prime will be better than Jagr. Jagr is more talented than him and his size allows him to dominate like few other players today can. That's why it's going to be a sad sad day when he retires or goes to play elsewhere

As for Malkin, I still think it's too early to even think about making a trade this big. Malkin has only played one year in the NHL, and even though there is a pretty damn good chance he will explode offensively in the next few years, there is still the chance that he won't live up to all the hype. To me he is one of the best players in the NHL when he wants to be, but I've also seen him being so lazy to a point where he became a liability. We'll have to see if he can straighten out that problem, but for now I'd rather enjoy watching him play for another team

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:45 PM
xander

Malkin actually has about an inch on Jagr.

Explode in the coming years? He's already a point per game player. These concerns about his attitude are overblown, the kid's twenty years old playing in a forign land where he doesn't grasp the language. Cut him some slack.

Old
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
Heske_44

Turning down Staal for Malkin from a Rangers perspective is pure comedy. He's 100pt guy next year. Those guys don't grow on trees and being in that realistic range at 21 just increases his value.

Attitude problem? Ugh...get real. It would be a brainless move on the Pens part to do this deal even with all the Montoya's and Prucha's in the world. In the end it is a bunch of "stuff" when compared to Malkin.

Heske_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:56 PM
clefty
What a nice fella

Attitude? First I've heard anything like that, and I followed the kid and team all season. Must be a European/Russian thing.

The team loves him, the players love him, the coaches love him and he busts his ass at practice from all accounts. Plus he's done some pretty awesome things off the ice like paying for an operation for a young girl in Russia who he didn't know.

I mean, surely you can't judge someone's attitude when the only words he's spoken in English are "lets go Pens"

Last edited by clefty: 06-18-2007 at 06:05 PM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:59 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Attitude? First I've heard anything like that, and I followed to kid and team all season. Must be a European/Russian thing.

The team loves him, the players love him, the coaches love him and he busts his ass and practice from all accounts. Plus he's done some pretty awesome things off the ice like paying for an operation for a young girl in Russia who he didn't know.

I mean, surely you can't judge someone's attitude when the only words he's spoken in English are "lets go Pens"
amen

Old
06-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Attitude? First I've heard anything like that, and I followed the kid and team all season. Must be a European/Russian thing.

The team loves him, the players love him, the coaches love him and he busts his ass at practice from all accounts. Plus he's done some pretty awesome things off the ice like paying for an operation for a young girl in Russia who he didn't know.

it's all because he floated in the young stars game. that was the first time i had ever heard malkin being spoken of in a negative light, and since then the malkin hate has been picking up, which is obviously ludicrous.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 07:34 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Interesting?

Interesting the majority of this thread is so neg on Malkin
That's only because he isn't in a Rangers sweater. He'd be regarded with near godlike staus if he was ours. He doesn't have even a hint of a hole in his game.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Sorry D'Aversa is a hairs thickness away in talent than Staal, Staal is a totally clutch though while D'Aversa goes about his job quietly. I have watched them both play their full career here and to say otherwise is assinine. You will see next year. AS for Malkin and the no break excuse bahh that is boloney, many players have indeed played more than he has the past two years and are older than him and are not burnt out, remember the NHL season is much longer. If anything it shows his mental strength is not up to par. As for Malkin not having injury issues he was injured pre-season last year, and I expect that this will become a career pattern. I am not saying he is not a great player he is but I don't think he will live up to what is expected of him. And to fly across the ocean to get his award, most definantly he should have. I don't give a **** what people think about the ceremony but to be picked as rookie of the year is an amazing feat and to snub your nose at the ceremony is totally ignorant.This will be a very good thread to revisit in a few years. I could very well be wrong about Malkin perhaps he will remain injury free and not become exhausted from the NHL schedual, but I have a hard time seeing it that way. I would still pick him in my pool though

And xander Staal will be a much much better player than Ohlund.
I'll defer to the NHL scouts that picked Staal 12th overall and didn't pick D'Aversa at all.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:

Not to mention, for a guy who'd probably lose a fight to Hilary S****, he shows absolutely no hesitation in sticking up for his teammates. That speaks volumes about his character.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:44 AM
RangerFan_48

Unless Staal has realllllly progressed in this last year I doubt we'll be seeing him with the Rangers any time soon. I saw him try to play season before last during the playoffs with the Wolfpack and by the middle of the second period he looked like he didn't know where he was. Constantly out of position and couldn't follow the puck. By the end of playoffs he was benched. Completely a diaster. I think we'll be seeing him with the Wolfpack for a while.

RangerFan_48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan_48 View Post
Unless Staal has realllllly progressed in this last year I doubt we'll be seeing him with the Rangers any time soon. I saw him try to play season before last during the playoffs with the Wolfpack and by the middle of the second period he looked like he didn't know where he was. Constantly out of position and couldn't follow the puck. By the end of playoffs he was benched. Completely a diaster. I think we'll be seeing him with the Wolfpack for a while.
he has......

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote