HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd overall pick for sale/Lecavalier not

Old
06-17-2007, 07:37 AM
Flyers_01

vCash: 500
2nd overall pick for sale/Lecavalier not

According to Tim P. over at hockeybuzz (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8056) the Flyers #2 overall pick is up for sale, Pitkanen is likely up for sale and Lecavalier/Richards aren't up for sale.

I can't say I understand where it would make sense to trade the #2 overall and/or Pitkanen for anything else. So why does it seem we are still trying to trade away assets. Marleau for one year wouldn't be worth it. We could go after Marleau next year when he's a UFA or at the very least don't overpay for him for one year. I'd rather the Flyers either sign UFAs or if that fails let the team grow. The team had way to much turmoil to get a read on any of the youngsters last year, from the coaching on down. I can't see the Flyers saying we add one piece and lose Joni and we're cup contenders. The Flyers should let Pitkanen have another year before deciding his future.

I also don't understand the willingness to get rid of the #2 pick. There may not be a consensus top pick but there is a consensus top 5-6.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:55 AM
lancer247

it wouldn't be a timmy p. article without a "get rid of pitkanen" jab...

last 2 moves by the bolts (hlavac & gratton) show they think they can win now so richards & vinny are staying...

if the flyers are willing to trade down does that mean they are looking at a guy like voracek, alzner or cherapanov???? if they can get more assets and still get their man then i am fine with them moving down...i just hope they get it right...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:11 AM
bakunin

Mr. P's articles become boring.

Pitkanen gonna stay.

bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:14 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post
Mr. P's articles become boring.

Pitkanen gonna stay.
And the number 2 better stay. I want something to look forward to Friday night other than the beer I'll be drinking.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:26 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post
And the number 2 better stay. I want something to look forward to Friday night other than the beer I'll be drinking.
I'm not flying out to Columbus to watch Holmgren run around tables making a trade for a player only.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Beastieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
According to Tim P. over at hockeybuzz (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8056) the Flyers #2 overall pick is up for sale, Pitkanen is likely up for sale and Lecavalier/Richards aren't up for sale.
I hope they hold on to Joni and the #2 pick. Turris seems to be the front runner and if he turns out to be the second coming of Joe Sakic we will be kicking ourselves for 15 years that we didn't draft him. There are some very good prospects available in the top 5 picks. Or, we can do like we did with Forsberg and bring Turris back to Philly 15 years later when he has one good foot.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:21 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I'm not flying out to Columbus to watch Holmgren run around tables making a trade for a player only.
Yeah that wouldn't be cool. This draft is the most exciting thing for the Flyers in the past year.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:26 AM
mikedifr

If we trade down but stay somewhere in the top 10 and get something else, then maybe. For example, Poulit and #6 for our #2, hypothetically. You can still end up with Voracek or Gagner probably somewhere in the 5-8 range. I do not want to trade the #2 pick for a current NHL player, unless of course by some miracle is was Richardss/Vinny, which by every inidication will NOT happen.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Jester

Quote:
theoretically you're flying out there to see Holmgren improve the team... if trading picks is the best option, i imagine he'll do it. the only players it makes sense to deal for are Richards/Vinny (maybe Marleau if he actually is available) with that pick, so really wouldn't worry about it too much.

trading down is another story all together.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
theoretically you're flying out there to see Holmgren improve the team... if trading picks is the best option, i imagine he'll do it. the only players it makes sense to deal for are Richards/Vinny (maybe Marleau if he actually is available) with that pick, so really wouldn't worry about it too much.

trading down is another story all together.
No. I can do that in my house and not spend the money it cost to put this trip together. I am going to see the draft as a whole, but I wouldn't be going of the Flyers weren't picking high.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:39 AM
Jester

Quote:
No. I can do that in my house and not spend the money it cost to put this trip together. I am going to see the draft as a whole, but I wouldn't be going of the Flyers weren't picking high.
i'm sure Holmgren will take it under advisement... if Holmgren solves the no. 1 center spot for the forseeable future with that draft pick, i'd be ecstatic.

Old
06-17-2007, 09:46 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Am I the only one who wishes Clarke would have given Pannacio a smack back when he called him an a-hole? Jeez, that man is an idiot. Deal the number 2 and Pitkanen. What a moron.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Am I the only one who wishes Clarke would have given Pannacio a smack back when he called him an a-hole? Jeez, that man is an idiot. Deal the number 2 and Pitkanen. What a moron.
his continuing harping about Pitkanen is pathetic... especially given the fact that he never ever discusses his age and everything else. it's always just complaining... did we learn nothing from Justin Williams? he found his confidence and boom... away he went.

Old
06-17-2007, 09:58 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:

Quote:
his continuing harping about Pitkanen is pathetic... especially given the fact that he never ever discusses his age and everything else. it's always just complaining... did we learn nothing from Justin Williams? he found his confidence and boom... away he went.
I was reading an article on nhl.com the other day about Pronger, how people thought he would amount to less than nothing the first few years of his career. Then he found his groove after a few years of NHL experience under his belt. They'll be saying the same thing about Pitkanen in a few years.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
I was reading an article on nhl.com the other day about Pronger, how people thought he would amount to less than nothing the first few years of his career. Then he found his groove after a few years of NHL experience under his belt. They'll be saying the same thing about Pitkanen in a few years.
the thing that's really crazy is that Pitkanen found his groove a couple years ago... he just struggled a bit last year under the weight of a ton of responsibility.

Old
06-17-2007, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
well we have some people on these boards who agree with him on getting rid of Pitkanen. The Flyers would be making a huge mistake if they traded Pitkanen.

Quote:
man, I missed that lol. when did he say that?
but yeah that would have been great if Clarke would have *****slapped him

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-18-2007 at 11:33 AM.
GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 11:54 AM
daynus

so if vinny and brad and marleau are off the table that pretty much forces us to go the FA route. please god let us get gomez. as for trading down and hoping to get a player we want, i'm guessing that would be Gagner or Voraceck. from what the edmonton people are saying they feel the can't afford to get rid of much assets to move up. we already know the organization is in love with Turris, and with the guys potential, who wouldn't be. so trading down really does not make much sense. JVR could be a dark horse at #2, but i am afraid of him a bit. at worst he will be a third liner, and Turris a #1 or #2 center. A guy who will fill out, be a good two way player, and bring some more leadership abilities. you can never have too many guys with leadership abilities, these are the types of guys who fire up the rest of the team, and give 110% effort every shift. these guys are the guys who can push a team over the top in playoffs.

and the Pitkanen stuff, oh well i guess the news papers need some filler. what a pile of garbage. Getting rid of Joni will be a big mistake. and the other thing is with our finnish defense, that should help us land timmonen.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:20 PM
BringBackStevens

I think Timmy thinks the more and more he says Pitkanen will be dealt, that somehow it will actually make it happen.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:47 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

If I'm Holmgren....I'm preparing to knock Gomez's socks off with a huge deal. If not...I'm keeping every young asset we have and preparing for another top 5 pick in 08. This team isn't gonna win a cup next year so why the panic to unload our best players?
It must piss people in Philly off...there are writers on HF Boards that would do a better job than Tim P...guys a crotch sniffer.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:48 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I think Timmy thinks the more and more he says Pitkanen will be dealt, that somehow it will actually make it happen.

Really seems that way at this point...how does this clown still have a job??

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:51 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Haha funny thing is, is that I've met the guy and know someone who is a personal friend of his. I've even sat up in the box seats with his son.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:58 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
are you going by yourself and trying to meet up with some other flyer fans?

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:05 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i'd like to see the flyers give pitkanen one more year. he had a solid 05-06 year and then got hurt. the kid's still young and learning the north american game. i think it would be a huuuuge mistake if they got rid of him after 1 mediocre/poor year.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:09 PM
FlyersWillRockU
Too Old? Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
If we trade down but stay somewhere in the top 10 and get something else, then maybe. For example, Poulit and #6 for our #2, hypothetically. You can still end up with Voracek or Gagner probably somewhere in the 5-8 range. I do not want to trade the #2 pick for a current NHL player, unless of course by some miracle is was Richardss/Vinny, which by every inidication will NOT happen.
If Edmonton is so interested in the top 5 what do you think of something like this...

To Philly = Edm #6 pick and Raffi Torres
To Edm = #2 overall

I really like the intensity that Torres plays with and if they think Voracek will still be available at #6 why not. After finding these videos of Voracek i'm really hoping he is who the Flyers take. He had pretty impressive numbers for his first season coming over and playing the North American game. From what I hear and have seen in clips he always keeps his feet moving and looks like he is gonna be a great all around player. He also looks like he can chuck a knuckle if need be too. Man he would look great wearing a FLyers jersey!!!!!!!!! He is #21 check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFn0Plwykd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmB3FUMSKVk

Torres could bring some much needed intensity to either Carter or Richards line and can score.

FlyersWillRockU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I think they are going to hold onto the pick. It makes much more sense IMO to hold onto it and go the FA route to solve the problem up the middle. This team isn't going to contending for a little while so it's just a bad idea to throw away the opportunity to develop some good young talent for a quick fix.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote