HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Apartments around Sox Stadium

Old
06-17-2007, 10:53 AM
zp

vCash: 500
Apartments around Sox Stadium

guys, i know its off topic, but i wanted to know about apartments around sox stadium, like 5-10 blocks away, prices?, if they are good etc...coming to uni from montreal (habs fan) lol, and im surely gonna boo samsonov everytime ill go watch the hawks....but tallon probably told gainey: " you owe me one"

zp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 12:00 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
It's in a pretty poor and largely african-american area. Unless that's your sort of thing, I'd consider looking elsewhere.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 01:29 PM
fullmetalninja

Are you going to U of Chicago or Kent/IIT or something?

Really, its just not a good area. Getting better, but not great. I suppose you could move into Chinatown if that is your kinda thing, but that's about as close as an out of towner would want to be IMO.

There are a lot better places for people who are not familiar with the city to live, even for the money.

-fullmetalninja

fullmetalninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Go_Krog*

ill chime in i suppose, i live around 35th and Damen (mckinley park, west of the stadium) was looking in bridgeport a lot but found better place a bit farther west.

its really not as dangerous or bad as everyone says, bridgeport is a nice neighborhood, lot of families that have been living their a long time. its not super cheap but a 2 br is usually around 700-900. most the units are pretty small.

if you dont have a car youll want to consider where things like grocery stores are and will probably want to be close to 35th street as it has the bus that will take you to the redline train.

feel free to pm me with any questions.

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Osstrayan
#murderskate

Send a message via AIM to Osstrayan Send a message via MSN to Osstrayan
The south side scares me.

Osstrayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Seeing all of the burned out low income apartment buildings from the highway near the stadium scare me when I drive through the south side.

I wouldn't live there.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Go find a place down town... or go to a southern suburb like Naperville/Bolingbrook (I live there and it's great)

45 minute commute though to Chicago (DT)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Go_Krog*

southside > northside

Go_Krog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:18 AM
WOTR

I am generally a north and west sider. Although i am pretty familiar with the southside.

Go_Krogs information is the most accurate.

The south side of Chicago is huge and there are many pockets of various and diverse classes. Albeit, millions of nice famlies live and die there through out history. Don't buy into broad strokes. If you have the time it certainly is worth visiting different neighborhoods to make your decision.

Other neighborhoods if you want to be near the loop or Sox is Pilsen, South Loop, Bronzville, ect. I would consider Go_Krogs invitation for first hand information a good opportunity. Bridgeport prices have gone up.

WOTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:36 AM
fullmetalninja

So a kid from MTL should spend his time looking for decent "pockets"?

I'm not saying that those area's are *****. I'm saying that for the money you could do better elsewhere-- unless there is a specific reason you need to live down that way.

I mean 700-900 and still need to ride the bus to get to the EL?

Please!

My wife and I paid 800 to live two blocks off the heart of bucktown (2 bedroom). I mean what sounds better to a college kid-- bucktown and 100s of bars/rests, 1000s of young chicks.. Or busing it on 35th to get to the grocery?!?!?

-fullmetalninja

Old
06-18-2007, 12:42 PM
Joe Morelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja View Post
My wife and I paid 800 to live two blocks off the heart of bucktown (2 bedroom). I mean what sounds better to a college kid-- bucktown and 100s of bars/rests, 1000s of young chicks.. Or busing it on 35th to get to the grocery?!?!?

-fullmetalninja
When was that? 1990?

Joe Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
fullmetalninja

Naaa 2004. My former landlord finally sold the building, but I know he was still in that range when I last spoke to him in 06 (Wood/Wabansia)

-fullmetalninja

Old
06-18-2007, 03:47 PM
WOTR

Like I said I have lived mostly on the north and west side. Uptown, Wickerpark, Eukranian Village, Oak Park, South Loop, River West, Rogers Park, Licoln Park, Taylor (UIC) and a few more places over a ten plus year period.

I am not knocking Bucktown. I lived on Oakley and North in 1990. Used to go to Artful Dodger all the time. Although, things are different there now. I don't know what the rent is these days. Certainly not the $275 I was paying then.

A friend of mine owns a six flat building right behind what is now called Salud on Milwaukee. Quite honestly, they are not the nicest apts and they are around 800 a month for a one bedroom utilities not included (not remodled at all), small and very hot in the summer.

I don't proclaim to have the right answer. All I know is that when I have moved to other cities I like to take a stroll through some neighborhoods to get the lay of the land so to speak. Things like where the market is ect. and just my general instinct. May sound goofy, but I like to feel a vibe of a neighborhood and I think that is going to be different for everyone. It is not a must, but I usually take a quick trip in and stay at a hotel breifly just to hike about a bit.

However, your point is good FMN, in the sense there are places where one can play it safe. But it is up to the person asking the questions to be descriptive of his limitations or needs. Maybe he isn't the safe kind of guy. He asked about being near comiskey, so someone that has scoped out Bridgeport is a good resource.

Old
06-18-2007, 03:50 PM
WOTR

My point also was that there is a mystique with the South side that it is sort of dangerous. Yes there are very run down areas, but I love the south side and there are some amazingly beautiful neighborhoods, archtiecture and history there.

Old
06-18-2007, 05:25 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I live on the southside. There are several nice neighborhoods. I thought he was referring to the areas immediately around the ballpark, which are predominantly low-income apartments.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote