HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2007 Hockey's Future staff mock draft

Old
06-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Any reason that my other post was deleted about what ISS says about him in thier draft guide? It wasen;t like I posted the whole guide...just what ISS said about Mayorov????

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Pizza

[QUOTE=Pogo;9580600]Man did I love Kovalev, watching games as a little kid, I remember the three assist game when he got the mustard stain on his jersey. That post game interview was classic! I can't really think of a better stickhandler, he had mad skills!![/QUOTE]

Totally agree. He just did very little with those skills....when he was a Ranger.

No more enigmatic prospects IMO.

I'd rather go with a less talented prospect whose more of a sure thing NHLer and fits well into the Ranger system.

As stated previously, I'd go for Eller.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 02:13 PM
Choice

[QUOTE=Pizza;9583601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
Man did I love Kovalev, watching games as a little kid, I remember the three assist game when he got the mustard stain on his jersey. That post game interview was classic! I can't really think of a better stickhandler, he had mad skills!![/QUOTE]

Totally agree. He just did very little with those skills....when he was a Ranger.

No more enigmatic prospects IMO.

I'd rather go with a less talented prospect whose more of a sure thing NHLer and fits well into the Ranger system.

As stated previously, I'd go for Eller.

We have plenty of those guys. I have no problem with swinging for the fences in the first round of this draft.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Pizza

[QUOTE=JohnnyChoice;9584664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post

We have plenty of those guys. I have no problem with swinging for the fences in the first round of this draft.
I get what your saying, but I have should have been more clear. Eller projects far better than the average prospect in this draft. He stands a very good chance of winding up as at least a very solid 2nd line center/winger. So he's a safe pick that has a very complete game as well.

Old
06-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
From what i've seen I'd say that Afinogenov is a bad comparison.
Looks more like Antoine Vermette out there.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Actually I seriously considered Eller as the Rangers pick at 17. But I was swayed by the info I had that Mayorov was quite possibly coming over to play in the Q next year, and there has been no indication that Eller was coming. I was very impressed with Eller at the Combine, and what I have seen of his skills, but Mayorov is very anxious to come to North America and has excellent puck and skating skillls, so that swayed me.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Actually I seriously considered Eller as the Rangers pick at 17. But I was swayed by the info I had that Mayorov was quite possibly coming over to play in the Q next year, and there has been no indication that Eller was coming. I was very impressed with Eller at the Combine, and what I have seen of his skills, but Mayorov is very anxious to come to North America and has excellent puck and skating skillls, so that swayed me.
Thanks for that Leslie.

So from you've said, if you had to choose between the two, you would pick Mayorov? Is that correct? Things I read about his inconsistency steered me away from him. In contrast I simply can not find a negative thing about Eller. Easy to coach, very complete game.

Putting the two side by side, how would you compare them?

Old
06-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Thanks for that Leslie.

So from you've said, if you had to choose between the two, you would pick Mayorov? Is that correct? Things I read about his inconsistency steered me away from him. In contrast I simply can not find a negative thing about Eller. Easy to coach, very complete game.

Putting the two side by side, how would you compare them?
There's no contest as Eller outplayed Mayorov and a lot of other first round draft picks this year. Mayorov is one of those players who stands out once in a while during a game for his great rushes with an amazing burst. Eller is not as dynamic skating wise, but he does everything you want a top prospect to do. He's good offensively, comes back and helps defensively, hits, has beautiful hands, can score although needs to shoot more, can skate etc. There's no question that Eller is the better pick for us at the 17 spot.

Mayorov is good, but you just can't say that because he's interested in playing NA hockey he'll be a better option. Remember, the Kings didn't say this when they drafted Anze Kopitar out of Sweden.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 09:17 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

They have different skill sets and upsides. Mayorov has more of a high end potential and is more high risk. Given the quality of this draft, the Rangers' picking status (17) and the strengths and weaknesses of the organization, I chose a high risk, high reward draftee. And one who is very coachable and anxious to come to North America.

That is not to say that Eller will not be a solid player. But his upside is just not as high as that of Mayorov.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 09:55 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
They have different skill sets and upsides. Mayorov has more of a high end potential and is more high risk. Given the quality of this draft, the Rangers' picking status (17) and the strengths and weaknesses of the organization, I chose a high risk, high reward draftee. And one who is very coachable and anxious to come to North America.

That is not to say that Eller will not be a solid player. But his upside is just not as high as that of Mayorov.
The Rangers picking all safe and sure thing NHLers lately who play with grit, but are not high end, has loaded the talent pool so that we cannot get out top prospects NHL experience right now (Dawes, Dubinsky, Immonen). I am all for a high risk, high reward type pick right now as the one ting our system is lacking is true top line talent.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Pizza

Thanks again Leslie. I really appreciate your info.

That said, for me I'd still take Eller if both he and Mayorov were available. The Rangers have made a pretty good case for taking the safe bet in recent years.

Things are never written in stone, but if a player seems to be inconsistant or a bit of a disappearing act then my feeling is he'll stay that way. You can't teach positive character traits IMO, but the thing with Eller is you don't have to worry about that. Mentally he seems to already be where we want him. He'll likely just get better.

Some of the "safe" character guys we've picked in recent years have just started to show benefits. Callahan, Dubinsky & Byers are good examples.

Dubinsky was about 5-9/10 180lbs when we drafted him and now he's a 6-1+ 210/15 lbd forward who is coming along nicely. I remember when Byers was drafted many thought it a lousy pick. He just a had a really strong season his first year as a pro in Hartford.

Old
06-19-2007, 07:25 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
http://hockeysfuture.com/articles/9754

NY Rangers Maxim Mayorov RW Mayorov is very likable, ...
I'm glad he's likable, but can he play hockey?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote