Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Marchant-line for next season?

Old
06-17-2007, 02:40 PM
Elvs

vCash: 500
Marchant-line for next season?

I expect DP to play with Getz and Perry the upcoming season... What happens with Marchant then?

I can see him being dealt to give the Pahlsson-line more icetime on 5 on 5... If not, who will be playing at Marchants wings do you think?

May will be gone for sure, maybe Thornton as well... I'd like a winger who can catch up with Marchant and who has some scoring abilities. And a grinder on the other wing.

Ekman - Marchant - Isbister/Ortmeyer maybe?

The line would still be as good defensivly as with May and Thornton on it - just with better offensive instincts.

Thoughts?

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 03:16 PM
TheJoeMan

You have to consider Thornton and Shannon are both RFA's and probably will get one-way deals this summer. To go along with Parros that already gives us three wingers for the fourth line not to mention Drew Miller and Ryan Carter chomping at the bit to get ice-time. Also, what if Bobby Ryan has a good camp? There really isn't any room on the forward lines as far as free agents go unless Teemu retires and even then that won't be a grinder.

I expect Thornton to have a permanent spot on the roster next year and Shannon and Parros to fight out the RW spot.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 04:26 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
I expect DP to play with Getz and Perry the upcoming season... What happens with Marchant then?

I can see him being dealt to give the Pahlsson-line more icetime on 5 on 5... If not, who will be playing at Marchants wings do you think?

May will be gone for sure, maybe Thornton as well... I'd like a winger who can catch up with Marchant and who has some scoring abilities. And a grinder on the other wing.

Ekman - Marchant - Isbister/Ortmeyer maybe?

The line would still be as good defensivly as with May and Thornton on it - just with better offensive instincts.

Thoughts?
Ekman is too soft for Brian Burke hockey. I think we have plenty of options for fourth line wings in the organization. One of Brad May or Shawn Thornton will likely be re-signed. Parros just got a new contract for 2 seasons to be the teams part time enforcer. Shannon will need somewhere to play, too much upside for him not to be re-signed. Any of Miller, Carter and Brent can make the team with a good training camp.

I'm optimistic that Selanne will be back. I don't see any changes for the top 9 with everyone else on contract (Penner's contract is rumored to be done).

Kunitz-McDonald-Selanne
Penner-Getzlaf-Perry
Moen-Pahlsson-Niedermayer
Miller/May/Thornton-Marchant-Parros/Shannon

McDonald19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Nobody will take Marchant at his current salary, which isn't a reflection of Marchant's play, just that he's massively overpaid for his current ability. He's a fine #3/#4 center, but we'll have to carry his contract for one more year.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:25 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
Nobody will take Marchant at his current salary, which isn't a reflection of Marchant's play, just that he's massively overpaid for his current ability. He's a fine #3/#4 center, but we'll have to carry his contract for one more year.
If we cant find a scorer for him, I don't think there will be a problem to trade him...
Cause if you send him in the same package as Bryzgalov there will be teams who would take his salary.

This is what I think we should do:

1. Re-sign Giguere
2. Trade Bryzgalov and Marchant (would free up space to re-sign Teemu)
3. Re-sign Teemu
4. Sign a fourth-line center (could come in the Bryz-trade)
5. Re-sign/sign RFA:s and UFA:s

Old
06-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Vulak

Quote:
If we cant find a scorer for him, I don't think there will be a problem to trade him...
Cause if you send him in the same package as Bryzgalov there will be teams who would take his salary.

This is what I think we should do:

1. Re-sign Giguere
2. Trade Bryzgalov and Marchant (would free up space to re-sign Teemu)
3. Re-sign Teemu
4. Sign a fourth-line center (could come in the Bryz-trade)
5. Re-sign/sign RFA:s and UFA:s

Heres my take:

1) Let Giguere go, hes earned his 7 millions/season
2) Re-Sign Teemu
3) Sign good TOP-6 forward
4) Re-sign RFA's, some UFA's
5) Keep Marchant

our lineups would look like this

UFA - McDonald - Selšnne
Penner - Getz - Perry
Moen - GOD - Nieds
Kunitz - Marchant - Ryan

two first lines(getz and andymac line), one second line(marchant and kunitz) and one checking line in GOD-line.

swap penner with kunitz, ryan with thornton etc.

so lots of options and lots of depth. we wouldnt need to sink portland dry either and their would have chance to win AHL aswell Winning Organization

Vulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulak View Post
Heres my take:

1) Let Giguere go, hes earned his 7 millions/season
2) Re-Sign Teemu
3) Sign good TOP-6 forward
4) Re-sign RFA's, some UFA's
5) Keep Marchant

our lineups would look like this

UFA - McDonald - Selšnne
Penner - Getz - Perry
Moen - GOD - Nieds
Kunitz - Marchant - Ryan

two first lines(getz and andymac line), one second line(marchant and kunitz) and one checking line in GOD-line.

swap penner with kunitz, ryan with thornton etc.

so lots of options and lots of depth. we wouldnt need to sink portland dry either and their would have chance to win AHL aswell Winning Organization
I like those lines, good depth right through

Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:03 AM
bleuer

Send a message via Yahoo to bleuer
and our goaltending is Hiller / Bryz...ehhhmmm....

bleuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Pepper

And zero toughness. No thanks.

May - Marchant - Thornton fo' drizzle, foo!

Pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Elvs

It was just the same last offseason, everbody talking about Kunitz wasn't good enough to be on the 1st line. I think he's earned that spot now... I don't see why we would place him on a 4th line.

Old
06-18-2007, 06:33 AM
Talentless Practise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuer View Post
and our goaltending is Hiller / Bryz...ehhhmmm....
That may be close to reality, however. Giggy might be well beyond our price range. We could perhaps trade for Fernandez but i'm not sure he's better than Bryz. Vokoun would be great if there's a sale in Nashville, he only makes like 5 mil.

And no way Ryan makes the lineup next season, at least not permanently. Keep Kunitz on the first line, he's good enough and already has chemistry. Also, the fourth line has to have an enforcer or two with the way this team plays. May-Marchant-Thornton would be great with Parros and Shannon substituted as needed depending on opposing team.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 07:28 AM
Kimi

Quote:
It was just the same last offseason, everbody talking about Kunitz wasn't good enough to be on the 1st line. I think he's earned that spot now... I don't see why we would place him on a 4th line.
Because there are better players. If we sign a UFA top line player, where do we put him? Kunitz works, but there are better options. He can't play on God's line or the PPG line, as we want to keep them together. The UFA would be on the top line and thus we're left with the bottom line.

Given the option of someone like Heatley or Kunitz, I don't even have to think about taking Heatley.

Kimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimi View Post
Because there are better players. If we sign a UFA top line player, where do we put him? Kunitz works, but there are better options. He can't play on God's line or the PPG line, as we want to keep them together. The UFA would be on the top line and thus we're left with the bottom line.

Given the option of someone like Heatley or Kunitz, I don't even have to think about taking Heatley.
If signing Teemu and Jiggy, we don't have money to sign a topline leftwinger who is better than Kunitz IMO...

Last edited by Elvs: 06-18-2007 at 08:25 AM.
Old
06-18-2007, 09:02 AM
TeMoZ

I hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling that when October comes around, Bertuzzi will be wearing a Ducks jersey and It won't be cheep.

TeMoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:18 PM
TheJoeMan

Quote:

We don't need another top-line LW that's the thing. I mean, you can always improve at a given position but what's the point if what you have works already? It's not like we had a problem scoring goals this last season and the PPG line will only get better. The top-6 spot we'd have to fill is Teemu's and that's if he retires. Far as I'm concerned all the other spots on the forward lines are taken.

TheJoeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Kimi

Quote:
If signing Teemu and Jiggy, we don't have money to sign a topline leftwinger who is better than Kunitz IMO...
If we're in a position that means we cannot sign a forward, then there would be no point moving Kunitz to the forth line. Meaning there's no issue what so ever. Why would we think about moving him until we've got a better play?

Old
06-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Dirk316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
And zero toughness. No thanks.

May - Marchant - Thornton fo' drizzle, foo!

Give it up with the wussed out 4th line it will never happen this team won the cup for a reason and trying to copy Detroit will not work

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 08:15 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulak View Post

UFA - McDonald - Selšnne
Penner - Getz - Perry
Moen - GOD - Nieds
Kunitz - Marchant - Ryan
Ryan is going to Portland.

Burke values character...the 12th forward will be a fighter not a first round project.

Old
06-18-2007, 08:20 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Quote:

Hartnell set the market for above average top 6 forwards at 4.2 million per...I'd rather just keep Kunitz and his 20+ goals for 1.15 million than go after an upgrade that will cost 4-5 million.

If you want a premier left winger it's going to cost 6-7 million.

Old
06-18-2007, 08:34 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post
Hartnell set the market for above average top 6 forwards at 4.2 million per...I'd rather just keep Kunitz and his 20+ goals for 1.15 million than go after an upgrade that will cost 4-5 million.
Yeah, duh. Kunitz isn't going anywhere. In a salary cap world, 20 goals for $1 million is a great asset.

Old
06-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Kimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19 View Post

If you want a premier left winger it's going to cost 6-7 million.
Yep. Now lets just keep Teemu and then sign someone for ~6m next summer (Heatley I'm looking at you).

Old
06-21-2007, 01:46 PM
MOENing

i think were good to go maybe trade bryz for souray or possible rob blake lolz and bring over hiller and here we come

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
I expect Thornton to have a permanent spot on the roster next year and Shannon and Parros to fight out the RW spot.
Now that's a humorous visual.