Notices

the tale of Joe and Vinny

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2003, 04:47 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
the tale of Joe and Vinny

Tonight's game is a very interesting contrast between two players.

In Tampa Bay, Vinny Lecavalier is struggling. The team is struggling. His coach called him out and relations are strained.

In Boston, Joe Thornton has recently been struggling, to a lesser extent. The team is struggling. There are whispers about Big Joe's play but it has not become a major issue here yet.

Tonight, head to head, we see some interesting things. Lecavalier is playing like a house afire. He has been dazzling with the puck and is obviously fired up. As Derek used to say, he has been a going concern all night. Meanwhile, Joe is more listless. Yes, he got an assist on the goal, but that was flukey. Otherwise, he has been pretty nondescript. In fact, I have seen him knocked down many times tonight, as if his new strategy is to draw penalties by falling down more readily.

Tampa is feeding off the uptempo play of Vinny while the Bruins are still looking pedestrian (better than other recent games, but not firing on all cylinders).

I'm not a big Lecavalier fan and believe he is about 2/3 of player that Thornton is. But tonight, in light of similar circumstances for the two players, the difference in their games is interesting.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:06 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
Tonight's game is a very interesting contrast between two players.

In Tampa Bay, Vinny Lecavalier is struggling. The team is struggling. His coach called him out and relations are strained.

In Boston, Joe Thornton has recently been struggling, to a lesser extent. The team is struggling. There are whispers about Big Joe's play but it has not become a major issue here yet.

Tonight, head to head, we see some interesting things. Lecavalier is playing like a house afire. He has been dazzling with the puck and is obviously fired up. As Derek used to say, he has been a going concern all night. Meanwhile, Joe is more listless. Yes, he got an assist on the goal, but that was flukey. Otherwise, he has been pretty nondescript. In fact, I have seen him knocked down many times tonight, as if his new strategy is to draw penalties by falling down more readily.

Tampa is feeding off the uptempo play of Vinny while the Bruins are still looking pedestrian (better than other recent games, but not firing on all cylinders).

I'm not a big Lecavalier fan and believe he is about 2/3 of player that Thornton is. But tonight, in light of similar circumstances for the two players, the difference in their games is interesting.
I know Joe has been struggling, but tonight I think he was actually working hard out there. He had at least 3 good scoring opportunities by my count including one off the crossbar. The problem tonight I think was that he was forcing it a bit...he is a little snakebitten, hopefully he will snap out of it SOON. As for Vinny, sure he had a goal, but I wouldn't say that he was a real force out there tonight.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Yes.

Joe did some good things out there tonight, but he never seemed like he really wanted it.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:13 PM
supernova

Last 12 games for Joe?

ZERO goals, a minus 6, and a whopping 4 PIMS. That's just plain ugly.

I hope OC doesn't actually think a Gill for Poti swap will make everything OK. There appears to be much deeper problems with this team than a few immobile Dmen.

Old
12-27-2003, 05:19 PM
Black Eye

vCash:
I'm not using this as a Joe bashing thread. I just thought the difference was noteworthy.

If you drew a 20 foot semi-circle in front of the net, Lecavalier played a fair amount of time in that area. Constant threat. Joe played most of his time along the boards or behind the net. His bids mainly come now from throwing it in front of the net from the boards or the one timer from Murray from behind the net. This has a lot to do with the quality of chances that Joe is getting and his point totals recently.

Either Joe is smarting physically or he really meant what he said in that TSN interview. He looks weak and is getting knocked down much more than in the past.

Old
12-27-2003, 06:50 PM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eye
I'm not using this as a Joe bashing thread. I just thought the difference was noteworthy.

If you drew a 20 foot semi-circle in front of the net, Lecavalier played a fair amount of time in that area. Constant threat. Joe played most of his time along the boards or behind the net. His bids mainly come now from throwing it in front of the net from the boards or the one timer from Murray from behind the net. This has a lot to do with the quality of chances that Joe is getting and his point totals recently.

Either Joe is smarting physically or he really meant what he said in that TSN interview. He looks weak and is getting knocked down much more than in the past.
He looked like a house 'a fire on his breakaway......I practically threw my little Sony Wega out the window when he fed it way back to a non-existant Knuble. Why doesn't he put it on net more?? Does he really not care? I can't believe it if they don't come down harder on him.

Old
12-27-2003, 07:01 PM
Perry91502

How does a team go from one extreme to another for no apparent reason???? You cant say they have had any injuries (Sammy being only out a few games thus far), and you could actually say that the goaltending is better than it was at the beginning of the year with Raycroft seemingly being the #1 guy at this point...I just dont get it, what has happened in the last 50 days or so that made this team go from best in the east, to trying to cling onto a playoffspot almost at the seasons halfway point (about 7 games away I think)...I just dont get it

Closed Thread