HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What else is left to address for the Flyers?

Old
06-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Flyers_01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
The current lineup looks something like:

Gagne ______ Knuble
Hartnell Carter Kapanen
Sanderson Richards Upshall
Afanasenkov Umberger Ruzicka

Hatcher Timonen
Pitkanen Coburn
Gauthier Kukkonen
Picard/Parent

Biron
Nittymaki

Is the only thing left on tap a #1 center?

I'm an outsider here so I'm wondering if Rathje's contract figures into the cap...but my calculations put your current cap figure at

$43.39 million a year (without Rathje's contract, and including all the minor league contracts in effect)

With the cap slated to go to $49 million in the upcoming year, and about $5.5 million left to re-sign Afanasenkov, Pitkanen, as well as a #1 center, how would the Flyers fit their roster under the cap?

....If the rumours of pursuing Gomez/Briere are true you're going to have to put up $6-7 million.

How are you going to do this? Move Gauthier? Move Knuble? Move Pitkanen?....I don't think anyone wants Hatcher
Minor league contracts do not count against the cap.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=160500

The Flyers have $9 million left. There's already a thread stickied about the Flyers cap situation. I suggest you read it.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:46 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i'll pass on morrison. i dont think hes a cup contending 1st line center IMO.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 09:52 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
i'll pass on morrison. i dont think hes a cup contending 1st line center IMO.
When did we discuss contending for the cup this year? I missed that one.

He would be a more then an adequate replacement for one year on the top line. He is obviously not the long term solution. His contract has only one year left.

Hell, Randy Fn Robitaille looked good playing with Gagne and Knuble cause he can skate and pass the puck. What are Morrison's strengths you ask? He can skate and pass the puck..... He played with Knuble in Europe and is the style of play that fits best with Gagne. He is pretty much guaranteed to put up 50+ points, I would say 60-65 at least with Gagne/Knuble. That is more than you would get with Forsberg with the 40 games he will play.

I would take him for a draft pick or minor prospect like Ruzicka to clear salary for Vancouver before I would do the big deal mentioned above though. Something else would have to come with Schneider to justify giving up the 2nd pick. A lot of people mentioned Bourdon, but not sure that would be enough.

In order of my preference:

Gomez
Richards
Vinny
Briere
Drury
Morrison (for one year as long as we are not giving something significant)
Handzus
Forsberg

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 10:17 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01 View Post
Minor league contracts do not count against the cap.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=160500

The Flyers have $9 million left. There's already a thread stickied about the Flyers cap situation. I suggest you read it.
i think moving gauthier & sanderson frees up another $3.5MM...

that would leave enough room to sign gomez/briere ($7MM) & pitkanen ($3MM)...
i don't think you drop the kind of dough the flyers did today then let some jabroni center your top line...its obvious they are looking to make wave in the east this year..if they do ink someone like gomez to long term deal then don't they have to use the #2 on a winger (cherapanov, jvr, voracek)??
maybe let affy walk and use money for a 4th line center (primeau)...

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 10:32 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Banker View Post
i think moving gauthier & sanderson frees up another $3.5MM...

that would leave enough room to sign gomez/briere ($7MM) & pitkanen ($3MM)...
i don't think you drop the kind of dough the flyers did today then let some jabroni center your top line...its obvious they are looking to make wave in the east this year..if they do ink someone like gomez to long term deal then don't they have to use the #2 on a winger (cherapanov, jvr, voracek)??
maybe let affy walk and use money for a 4th line center (primeau)...
No, you still draft best player available. They're all 1-2 years away - or more - from really being able to make an impact and a lot can change between now and then. They can change positions as well. Remember, Gagne was drafted as a center.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
No, you still draft best player available. They're all 1-2 years away - or more - from really being able to make an impact and a lot can change between now and then. They can change positions as well. Remember, Gagne was drafted as a center.
thats true...

another question...i see most people penciling in parent or picard as part of our third d pairing...
rather then playing guys like parent or picard at #6 dman and only playing @ 10 mins/game...why not just play jones and let picard & parent get a full season of experience at ahl level????

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:06 PM
bayrider

If I were Philly, I'd be concerned with goaltending as well as a #1 center. $3.5M is way too much for Biron. He's an average goalie. A good backup, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything beyond that from Biron.

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:10 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
If I were Philly, I'd be concerned with goaltending as well as a #1 center. $3.5M is way too much for Biron. He's an average goalie. A good backup, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything beyond that from Biron.
Please do a little research first. I won't do it for you but why don't you go ahead and tell me Biron's numbers when he's played more than 45-50 games in a season.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:12 PM
daynus

average goalie, well hes not an elite goalie thats a given. but the guy stood on his head after we got him, and he played very well. he will put up pretty good numbers.

and with a better team around him, his job will get easier. therefore we are not worried about our goaltending one bit. its getting the #1 center, that is our concern, our only concern.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2007, 11:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Biron is plenty good for this team. Elite goaltenders don't grow on trees

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote