HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Hypothetical: If signing Kariya brought back Teemu

Old
06-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Davey Duck

vCash: 500
I don't hold grudges, so if Carlyle and Burke think he'll work here, I'm all for it. He's fun to watch play hockey, it doesn't matter that he's a ****head off the ice.

Davey Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:06 PM
ducksppg

If the Ducks can get him somewhat cheap, I think I could get used to it. Obviously, it hurts to think about at first, but the more I think about it, if he realizes the mistake he made and he's willing to come back here and work within Carlyle's system to help bring another cup to Anaheim, I'd be open to it.

Kariya WAS the Ducks, before he threw it away. If he's willing to come and earn back what he lost, I don't think it'd be terrible.

ducksppg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:19 PM
kenabnrmal

To be honest, if Selanne's back I don't see where the fit is. I have zero problem with Kunitz as the left winger on that line, and the only other opening would be on the 4th line with Marchant. Granted, he'd get plenty of time on the pp, and it wouldn't be bad having him paired with Marchant to give us four lines that can produce, but at what cost? Grudge aside, I don't really see the sense.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 12:58 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

I would love to have Kariya back in a Ducks uniform.
Imagine the possibilities of having Kariya-Mac-Selanne on the first line
that would be a top notch first line
and like someone stated, this can put Kunitz down a line which would generate more offense on either the 2nd or 4th line by dropping Penner to the 4th for Kunitz on the kid line

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:21 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
I would love to have Kariya back in a Ducks uniform.
Imagine the possibilities of having Kariya-Mac-Selanne on the first line
that would be a top notch first line
and like someone stated, this can put Kunitz down a line which would generate more offense on either the 2nd or 4th line by dropping Penner to the 4th for Kunitz on the kid line
Part of the reason that top line has been so successful, in my mind anyways, is the grit and physicality that Kunitz brings. The grit and banging Rucchin brought was a huge part of what made the "Dyanmic Duo" so dynamic. Taking our top line and swapping Kunitz out for Kariya eliminates that aspect.

Old
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

I am all for it. Any resentment I had toward him was pushed out of my mind by a big silver tower thing.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:26 PM
caliamad

They don't have to play with each other all the time...

I like this idea only because it would increase our forward depth and i'd get to see Selanne play 1 more season.

But imagine our forward depth:

I'm going to get a little creative here:

Kariya Marchant Selanne
Kunitz McDonald Penner
Thornton/May/Parros Getzlaf Perry
Niedermayer Pahlson Moen

Now thats sick to me...

but what the hell are we gonna do on defense?

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:27 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
They don't have to play with each other all the time...

I like this idea only because it would increase our forward depth and i'd get to see Selanne play 1 more season.

But imagine our forward depth:

I'm going to get a little creative here:

Kariya Marchant Selanne
Kunitz McDonald Penner
Thornton/May/Parros Getzlaf Perry
Niedermayer Pahlson Moen

Now thats sick to me...

but what the hell are we gonna do on defense?
Dear god no, no more enforcer Getz Perry line!!!!!!!!!

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Snap Wilson

No no no, no more ****ing Kariya. I don't need to see that "I'm skating down the side as fast as I can slapshot from 40-feet out." No thanks.

Except for 2003, when he actually started backchecking and playing a little defense, the guy's always been a *****. I watched plenty of him in Nashville last year, and he's still a *****. We don't need guys like that in Anaheim, history be damned.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:35 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoringlegend08 View Post
I am all for it. Any resentment I had toward him was pushed out of my mind by a big silver tower thing.
That's how I feel, honestly.

I kinda like the idea of Ducks fans, fresh off of reaching the pinnacle of hockey without him, saying with a sideways grin: "Sure Paul, c'mon back. I think we might have a spot somewhere in our top-12 forward for you."

Old
06-20-2007, 01:42 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
That's how I feel, honestly.

I kinda like the idea of Ducks fans, fresh off of reaching the pinnacle of hockey without him, saying with a sideways grin: "Sure Paul, c'mon back. I think we might have a spot somewhere in our top-12 forward for you."
I love it.

And I only put a big body with Getzlaf and Perry becuase I think they are so good it would balance out the rest of the 3 offensive lines.

We'd have 3 legitimate and scary scoring lines on top of the shutdown line. We'd also have a grinder between selanne/kariya.

Honestly, I can't see what incentive Selanne has to return except bringing kariya back and/or defending cup w/ whole team in tact.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 01:47 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
No no no, no more ****ing Kariya. I don't need to see that "I'm skating down the side as fast as I can slapshot from 40-feet out." No thanks.

Except for 2003, when he actually started backchecking and playing a little defense, the guy's always been a *****. I watched plenty of him in Nashville last year, and he's still a *****. We don't need guys like that in Anaheim, history be damned.
I'm inclined to agree, though his talent is indisputable. Any potential return would be contingent upon Burke and Carlyle feeling that he'd be committed to the system. Kariya's a smart hockey player, fast and extremely skilled. He's soft as butter, but if he commits to defense and the forecheck, he could be useful.

Old
06-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal View Post
To be honest, if Selanne's back I don't see where the fit is. I have zero problem with Kunitz as the left winger on that line, and the only other opening would be on the 4th line with Marchant. Granted, he'd get plenty of time on the pp, and it wouldn't be bad having him paired with Marchant to give us four lines that can produce, but at what cost? Grudge aside, I don't really see the sense.
Kunitz can be effective on any line because of the way he plays. He would fit well with Getz and Perry or Marchant and whoever. Kariya would give us some added offensive spark and give us an incredible transition game on the first line(he's a better puck handler than Kunitz thats the big difference offensively). It's not like Kariya mooches off the PP he had 2/3 of his points at ES, but I would only be for it if it got Selanne back.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:26 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Kunitz can be effective on any line because of the way he plays. He would fit well with Getz and Perry or Marchant and whoever. Kariya would give us some added offensive spark and give us an incredible transition game on the first line(he's a better puck handler than Kunitz thats the big difference offensively). It's not like Kariya mooches off the PP he had 2/3 of his points at ES, but I would only be for it if it got Selanne back.
I hear ya, my point though was more that Kariya, while much more skilled than Kunitz, may not make that top line any better due to the loss of the grit Kunitz provides. Granted though, it's another top-end forward that adds to our overall skill level.

Old
06-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Lyons71

Considering Burke's comments regarding Kariya's departure, (when Burke was still with Van) I doubt he'd be interested in signing a player like that.

Even Teemu and Mac were all year willing to take hits (not necessarily dish them out) to make plays. Even McDonald started laying the body in the playoffs. You gotta do that stuff to win. EVERYONE ELSE ON THE TEAM WAS HITTING TOO. I don't see Paul doing that...

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
Considering Burke's comments regarding Kariya's departure, (when Burke was still with Van) I doubt he'd be interested in signing a player like that.

Even Teemu and Mac were all year willing to take hits (not necessarily dish them out) to make plays. Even McDonald started laying the body in the playoffs. You gotta do that stuff to win. EVERYONE ELSE ON THE TEAM WAS HITTING TOO. I don't see Paul doing that...
Before Carlyle came, Teemu and Mac were not those types of players. I have no doubt that Kariya would be forced to buy into this system if he wanted to play here.

Now, don't get me wrong, although I appear to want Kariya back, I honestly would just treat him like any other FA. I think he could be a good fit, but only for the right price. And, if he helped bring Teemu back, there's no doubt I'd want him.

He screwed this team over, but some of the things people are saying are laughable. People hate him because he's not loyal, yet, forget about #25 on this team. People say he's a jerk off-ice, yet, it's not like all the Ducks on this team are all great people. People say he's soft and one-dimensional, yet, we have guys like Teemu and Andy Mac(yeah, they've improved, but, face it, they aren't miles ahead of Kariya in those departments).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:

Exactly, and once teams start playing the body on Paul, he stops skating and his offense dries up. Not the kind of player we want during the playoffs.

Old
06-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Darsh View Post
Before Carlyle came, Teemu and Mac were not those types of players.
Wrong about both. Andy ran like he was on Duracells even before Carlyle. He was constantly getting his nose dirty in 2004. And Teemu has always used his size to get body position. And he hasn't been afraid to throw the occasional hit. Remember him taking a run at Pronger in the Olympics?

Paul has never been like that. He's too slight to play that sort of game. That, and he wears a skirt. The guy's a wuss.

Old
06-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Dirk316

I'd rather bring back Marty Mcinnis

Dirk316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Ducks__Halos

vCash: 863
I'd be very surprised if Burke signed him as well because of, as others have said, his 'soft player' reputation.

If Burke did sign him though, I wouldn't throw any fits because I trust him to put together the best team he can in order to remain contenders (or should I say to remain champs ) and if he thinks adding Paul back is best for the team, then so be it.

Kariya would help in the shootouts at least.

Ducks__Halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:59 PM
lux_interior

Quote:

Yeah, but to play devil's advocate...Burke blasted Columbus for the Marchant contract.

lux_interior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Jezz*

Quote:
i have heard he used to skate into the zone do some useless spin move and hurl the puck across the ice
LOL, so you have seen him play before he went to the Preds.

I'm all for still making fun of him, because the dude's taste in cars is the equivalent of a 55 year old retired woman, but I no longer hate him.

Still lots of great memories with him in a Duck jersey. If Carlyle is able to brainwash him into a more physical player, then great. Would welcome him with open arms.

But I have the same concerns Ken does, part of the success of the first line this year was Kunitz's willingness to go in hard on the forecheck and blow people up, and he was always the first one in on the scrums to protect Teemu or McDonald. I don't see the Princess ever doing that. There's no room for him on the current roster as it stands, unless playing 3 minutes a night on the 4th line is something he is willing to do to have another shot at the Cup ...

Jezz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:10 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

He played well for the Preds, and I think he can play somewhat physical
With 3 snipers on the first line, teams would not be able to handle all three of them imho

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:11 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Doesn't he get hurt for half the season lol. I would seriously never sign that guy back. Downgrade the performance of your other players because of his ice time. That isn't to even mention that him going back would be kind of hard, for me at least, to respect him since I would think he is only doing it to get his name on the cup. He went to Colorado to win it with Selanne and didn't and went to Nashville instead to try to win it and didn't. Least Teemu came back and apologized for leaving, didn't he?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
Doesn't he get hurt for half the season lol. I would seriously never sign that guy back. Downgrade the performance of your other players because of his ice time. That isn't to even mention that him going back would be kind of hard, for me at least, to respect him since I would think he is only doing it to get his name on the cup. He went to Colorado to win it with Selanne and didn't and went to Nashville instead to try to win it and didn't. Least Teemu came back and apologized for leaving, didn't he?
Well, Paul would also have that opportunity to come back, admit he was wrong, and move on as a lifer here. Also, I don't think he's missed a game, or at least many of them, since the Colorado season.

Also, to whoever said it, Selanne was very one-dimensional before. At times you would see flashes of physicality or whatever, but, for the most part, he wasn't very hard-nosed at all and not defensively responsible. Yeah, he made a hit on Pronger in the olympics, but that means little. Petr Sykora absolutely laid out Denis Gauthier in 2004, which caused him to be injured for the Flames' cup run that year, but that hardly means Sykora is anything but a perimeter player.

Brian Burke would not bring Kariya, or any player for that matter, into the fold unless they were going to commit to Carlyle's system. If Burke signs Karyia, which I doubt happens, for the record, don't expect the soft one-dimensional player we saw during the bad years.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote