Notices

Hypothetical: If signing Kariya brought back Teemu

Old
06-20-2007, 09:37 PM
Faktisti*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca View Post
Anaheim should sign Kariya and let Selanne go.
Kariya is just so much better player than Selanne.
thanks dude!

now tell me, are you sure that you took the right pills?

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 09:56 PM
DucksWon'07

Send a message via AIM to DucksWon'07
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
-We won the cup without him my resentment towards him is much less than it use to be.
Ya that's a good point.

DucksWon'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1PWR View Post
Least Teemu came back and apologized for leaving, didn't he?
Teemu was traded from the Ducks to San Jose a couple of years prior to signing with Colorado with Kariya.

He did not need to apologize to the Ducks for anything. San Jose was glad he left. Tony Granato did not like him and when he signed with Colorado they were happy he left. If not mistaken I believe he was on the 4th line.

Duck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

i think if we had Kariya in 06 we probably would have beaten Edmonton
again, ever since he left Colorado, he has been playing really well
didn't he lead the team in scoring and goals for the Preds?
during that same time Selanne was also rejuvenated

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken View Post
i think if we had Kariya in 06 we probably would have beaten Edmonton
Are you kidding? No chance.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Lyons71

Quote:
i think if we had Kariya in 06 we probably would have beaten Edmonton...
Had they put Giguere in to start the series, they would've won.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 11:36 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
I don't know about that, either, but when people look back in history, they're going to wonder about that. They'll probably think Jiggy was injured.

Old
06-20-2007, 11:55 PM
rmarion

IMO Brnig him back - Yes

Which line??? Mac & Teemu, would be 3rd line, PPG #1, Checking line #2

BTW, IMO

2003, the Ducks went as far as they did, Kariya was demanded to play both ways..

and that was the reason he left the following season, doesn't want to play both ways...

Championship Teams = Forwards Play Both ends

rmarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp View Post
Are you kidding? No chance.
Our chances would've likely been quite a bit better. We relied on one line that entire year, and Kariya would've definetely diversified our scoring and we might've been able to pop some in on Roli. Now, I have my doubts whether we would win or not, and, it worked out better anyway, but, really, our chances would've been a lot better against Edmonton in that year.

I can't see why people would think Kariya would make us worse. It would probably be expensive and unnecessary, but, it would most certainly make this team better.

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusPredsfan View Post
(i have heard he used to skate into the zone do some useless spin move and hurl the puck across the ice).
LOL you heard right. Burst into the zone with the defenders backpedaling, do a little spin on the half boards, and wait for Teemu or flick a harmless shot into the goalie. Ah good times. Reminds me of a useless point guard on my favorite college team in 2000 or so. Dribble the ball straight to the right emblem (equivalent of the half boards), pick up the dribble, get swamped by defenders and lose the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Darsh View Post
Before Carlyle came, Teemu and Mac were not those types of players. I have no doubt that Kariya would be forced to buy into this system if he wanted to play here.
Teemu somewhat, but absolutely not McDonald. He was pretty fearless, going into the corners and scrums. If anything, he's mellowed out a little following his concussion.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by obobo23 View Post
Teemu somewhat, but absolutely not McDonald. He was pretty fearless, going into the corners and scrums. If anything, he's mellowed out a little following his concussion.
Well, with Mac, even though I watched little of him prior to 03-04, I knew he was a pretty tenacious forechecker, but, I was talking in terms of defensive responsibility. Teemu as well, although he wasn't a great forechecker before.

From what I saw in Nashville, Kariya actually forechecked well enough. That's why I thought we were talking defensiveness, as Kariya was no slouch in terms of effort and whatnot these past two seasons(from what I've seen and heard, anyway).

Gibsons Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:07 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Well, with Mac, even though I watched little of him prior to 03-04, I knew he was a pretty tenacious forechecker, but, I was talking in terms of defensive responsibility. Teemu as well, although he wasn't a great forechecker before.

From what I saw in Nashville, Kariya actually forechecked well enough. That's why I thought we were talking defensiveness, as Kariya was no slouch in terms of effort and whatnot these past two seasons(from what I've seen and heard, anyway).
The post you quoted was talking about physicality. And that's my biggest concern with Kariya. As for defensive effort, well like I said earlier, if Carlyle can do to Kariya what he did to Selanne then he might be able to contribute. But if you think Carlyle can make anyone backcheck, Petr Sykora says hi.

snarktacular is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:32 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Exactly, and once teams start playing the body on Paul, he stops skating and his offense dries up. Not the kind of player we want during the playoffs.
Here's my reasoning.

This off season due to the lack of true big fish, guys that are normally second tier players are going to get overpaid for the most part, is Chris Drury worth 7 mil a year for 4+ years? Not IMO, Same goes for Briere, Smyth is possibly looking at getting a 40 million dollar deal, again very good player but a second tier star who I don't think can live up to the contract.

Kariya by and large is getting overlooked and for some valid reasons, but a short term deal to see if he fits and can help us win is not that bad, if it's a one year deal like we would presume Teemu would have, we would then be able to go after some true stars who will be worth their contracts or close to it like Iginla, Thornton, Hossa etc.

I would not want him on any sort of long term deal but a short one will work I am more concerned about signing guys to long term deals if Selanne/Niedermayer retire when they aren't worth it.

He's still a good player a ppg the last two years, if he doesn't work on the top line you could always try him with Getzlaf and Perry and so on, I don't see much risk with him on a one year deal with Selanne back.

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Elvs

I remember I saw a couple of games with Nashville this past season. Kariya were playing just fine in both of those games, defensively as well. This might be the reason he have become more of an playmaker than a goalscorer.

I thought he was working quite good in both ends, you don't have to hit people to play a good game defensively...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfstrand View Post
I remember I saw a couple of games with Nashville this past season. Kariya were playing just fine in both of those games, defensively as well. This might be the reason he have become more of an playmaker than a goalscorer.

I thought he was working quite good in both ends, you don't have to hit people to play a good game defensively...
But he has to be willing to take hits along the boards to keep pucks alive. Many Ducks goals this post season were scored because of the willingness to take punishment.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 04:10 AM
iLau
Always Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71 View Post
But he has to be willing to take hits along the boards to keep pucks alive. Many Ducks goals this post season were scored because of the willingness to take punishment.
Except for Huskins, that kid could not take a hit.

iLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Our chances would've likely been quite a bit better. We relied on one line that entire year, and Kariya would've definetely diversified our scoring and we might've been able to pop some in on Roli. Now, I have my doubts whether we would win or not, and, it worked out better anyway, but, really, our chances would've been a lot better against Edmonton in that year.

I think if Kariya was skating 18-20 minutes per game for us in the playoffs that year we wouldn't have lost to Edmonton. We would have lost to Calgary instead.

Remember how intense and physical that series was? Paul would have been a black hole. No, we wouldn't beat Edmonton either. The Oilers and Flames would do what the Devils did in 2003, what the Sharks did this past year. Bump Kariya hard every time he skates into a traffic area. When teams do that, guess what happens? He stops skating into traffic areas.

He doesn't have "diversified offense." He cherry picks, fires his weak-ass slapshot (which isn't low or heavy) on the rush or from the circles and fires centering passes from the wall. That's his offense.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player for the right team. He was fine for Nashville, and I can think of a few up-and-down teams in the East where he'd probably thrive (Buffalo, Ottawa, Pittsburgh). But those teams had better have other weapons come playoff time.

But he doesn't fit in on the Ducks. And frankly, I'm glad we have the sort of team that Paul doesn't fit in on any more.

Old
06-21-2007, 11:09 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
I think if Kariya was skating 18-20 minutes per game for us in the playoffs that year we wouldn't have lost to Edmonton. We would have lost to Calgary instead.

Remember how intense and physical that series was? Paul would have been a black hole. No, we wouldn't beat Edmonton either. The Oilers and Flames would do what the Devils did in 2003, what the Sharks did this past year. Bump Kariya hard every time he skates into a traffic area. When teams do that, guess what happens? He stops skating into traffic areas.

He doesn't have "diversified offense." He cherry picks, fires his weak-ass slapshot (which isn't low or heavy) on the rush or from the circles and fires centering passes from the wall. That's his offense.

I'm not saying he can't be a good player for the right team. He was fine for Nashville, and I can think of a few up-and-down teams in the East where he'd probably thrive (Buffalo, Ottawa, Pittsburgh). But those teams had better have other weapons come playoff time.

But he doesn't fit in on the Ducks. And frankly, I'm glad we have the sort of team that Paul doesn't fit in on any more.
nothing is going to change your mind which is fine
but the fact that Kariya led Nashville that year in 2003 was a great feat

If he was on the same line as Mac and Selanne, then neither Calgary nor Edmonton would have been able to stop all 3 of them at once

If they stop Kariya, than Mac and Selanne can score
If they stop Selanne, than Mac and Kariya can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyons71
Jiggy played horrible that year
Bryz was one of the reasons we made it that far int he playoffs

soya_sauce_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:53 AM
hamertime*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ville Isopää View Post
Bring Kariya back home where he belongs!

I just threw up a little in my mouth! That Rat deserves nothing. He's a soft player and Burke will not tolerate that.

hamertime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:38 PM
MOENing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaporalRadulov View Post
Please stop this.
I'm gonna puke.
It's gross.

umm your wrong teeemu is the man and kariya is only learning

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Kariya by and large is getting overlooked and for some valid reasons, but a short term deal to see if he fits and can help us win is not that bad, if it's a one year deal like we would presume Teemu would have, we would then be able to go after some true stars who will be worth their contracts or close to it like Iginla, Thornton, Hossa etc.
Answer these questions: Scott Hartnell just got $4 million per year. Do you think Kariya is going to get less than that? Is he worth more than that? Be realistic here.

It's a moot point, anyway. Burke isn't going to sign him. The top six is already set. We're not paying Penner $2.3 million or Kunitz over one million to sit on the fourth line. Hell, for my money, Kunitz is a better player than Kariya at a quarter of the price. He scored just as many goals in less playing time and with less power play time, and aside from racking up assists, he's better at every other facet of the game.

Extra money will be spent on Giguere and Scotty's potential replacement, which is where it should be spent.

Old
06-21-2007, 03:13 PM
ducksppg

Quote:
If he was on the same line as Mac and Selanne, then neither Calgary nor Edmonton would have been able to stop all 3 of them at once
Kind of like how the Ducks had no chance of stopping Alfredsson, Spezza, and Heatley, right?

ducksppg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:15 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksppg View Post
Kind of like how the Ducks had no chance of stopping Alfredsson, Spezza, and Heatley, right?
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Old
06-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Elvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksppg View Post
Then on the other hand, the Ducks probably have the best shut down line in the world...

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:37 PM
MOENing

k so if kariya comes back

kariya big mac selanne
Kunitz Getzlaf Perry
Checking line
Penner marchant parros/may

maybe keep the same lines kariya could be a good replacement for the shutdown line imagine a big player who shuts downs other big players

MOENing is offline   Reply With Quote