HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers cap situation projection

Old
06-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
Rangers cap situation projection

Alright, I'm a sports geek, so I just had to do this.

Signed players with salary cap:
Forwards:
Jagr - 4,94
Straka - 3,3
Cullen - 2,88
Betts - 0,53
Hollweg - 0,51
Orr - 0,54
Dawes - 0,5
Callahan - 0,58
Total: 13,78
Defensemen:
Malik - 2,5
Rozsival - 2,1
Kaspar - AHL
Tyutin - 0,99
Mara - 3
Pck - 0,67
Girardi - 0,75
Staal - 0,855*
Goaltenders:
Valiquette - 0,6
Montoya - 1,834*
Total: 10,61. All signed players summed together = 24,39.

Estimated chimp signings:
Shanny - 3
Nylander - 4,5
Hossa - 1,2
Prucha - 1,4
Avery - 2
Lundqvist - 4,5
Total: 16,6. Prospected cap hit: 40,99.

Estimated chimp dumpings:
Isbister - AHL or walks
Immonen - Traded or walks
Ozolinsh - Buh-bye
Rachunek - Walks
Strudwick - Walks, or actually flies all the way to Switzerland.
Kaspar - AHL or shows he means business in camp
Weekes - Walks

An estimated cap hit at approximately $41 million leaves not so much room for a big UFA signing at the current $44 million cap roof. However, there's alot of money to play with if the cap roof is upped.

* Staal's and Montoya's cap numbers, highly unsure if they will play. They're not counted into the team cap.

edit: Fixed some wrong numbers and added Staal on request and Montoya before a request.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-20-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If the cap lands at 51-52M we'll have ZERO problem aquiring a big name UFA.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 05:09 PM
ThisYearsModel

Even if the cap is 48, we are in good shape. Your list does not include Staal, who I think is in the 800's. Malik is our highest paid defenseman? Yikes.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Even if the cap is 48, we are in good shape. Your list does not include Staal, who I think is in the 800's. Malik is our highest paid defenseman? Yikes.
Actually, Mara is the highest paid defenseman at $3 million, but who's counting?

And Staal, if he makes the NHL, will probably have a higher cap hit--numbers for the cap don't just include salary but also signing bonuses, etc.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Your numbers for Straka, Orr, Hollweg, Dawes, and Girardi are wrong. The former 3 because you're looking at the old contract and the latter 2 because you aren't taking the bonuses into account.

Check the "Cap Number" and "Comments" columns here:
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
If the cap lands at 51-52M we'll have ZERO problem aquiring a big name UFA.
The problem is, neither will alot of other franchices who probably also are in the same situation as us, around $40 million in current salaries. UFA:s will be expensive and overpaid as hell.

What's the whole point of the strike in 03/04 if they just drag the salaries back to where they were? I actually hope they only rise it to $46-48 million to not set the league into bidding chaos. Even at $48 million, most franchises will be able to bid on most UFA:s with a little bit of restructuring in their roster. At $52, I cannot see a single franchise that can't and players like Gomez, Briere and Drury won't be UFA:s? They should be able to keep them with another 8 million to play with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
Your numbers for Straka, Orr, Hollweg, Dawes, and Girardi are wrong. The former 3 because you're looking at the old contract and the latter 2 because you aren't taking the bonuses into account.

Check the "Cap Number" and "Comments" columns here:
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html
edit: I used that page Kodiak, just missed some stuff to the right. Have fixed most of it now, I think. It's approximately right at least.

Old
06-20-2007, 06:29 PM
The Thomas J.*

I dont think Nylander is going to settle for anyless than $6Mill.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
I'll tell you guys right now that a few of the numbers listed are wrong. In fact, a couple of the numbers on my site (the one that nhlnumbers relies on) are not correct ... but only because I haven't updated it with new info that's available because a few of the contracts (like the one for Staal) will slide and thus the cap numbers will adjust as a result.

P.S. - in the offseason, Kasparaitis counts against the cap.

06-20-2007, 06:40 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Estimated chimp dumpings:

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I dont think Nylander is going to settle for anyless than $6Mill.
Alright, I'm bored tonight and seem to be unable to get away from the computer, so I'll just continue with like my 12th post today.

This whole situation buggers me, as a Rangers fan. What the hell to do? What if the cap goes up to $52? It turns things upside down. What if Nylander wants 5-6$? What if we say "Ok, scram, see you." And we're unable to grab any big UFA center and end up short on both 1st and 2nd line center. We have a $40 million cap hit + 5-6 million thrown at some overpaid UFA defensemen or whatever which will haunt us a couple of years, say Souray or some other guy who can't play defense (I actually like Souray's mentality and personality though, I followed him a bit in his media diary when he played in SEL 03/04).

Soo... Nylander walks, we end up way short hunting for the Stanley's goblet and we blow the last chance to grab it while Jagr is here... and when Jagr's finally gone, I feel it'll take a loong time before we'll get another underdog shot again. Is it actually worth overpaying like hell for Nylander ($6 million) if we make sure his contract is over when Jagr's is and we can afford it anyway ($52 million)? At least we'll know he's here, which we won't when panicking and chasing overpaid UFA:s who might not end up here anyway? And if we overpay like hell and he wants a longer contract, how about that 6-6-2 frontloader (or 8-8-2 if he's serious) with a more reasonable cap hit and a potential buyout if his kids turn out to be faster than him in his third contract year?

Why does this whole craptivity feel like a lose-lose situation? Even though it shouldn't, since we're not one of the teams who actually have to drop guys like Drury for nothing?

edit: Oh darn, this turned into another Nylander discussion. However, I guess that's what'll happen when talking about team salaries, since Nylander's the hottest potato on the table right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I'll tell you guys right now that a few of the numbers listed are wrong...
Thanks for the info. I guess the kids have to play with the broken toy car until papa buys a new one.

Last edited by Chimp: 06-20-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old
06-20-2007, 06:46 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I'll tell you guys right now that a few of the numbers listed are wrong. In fact, a couple of the numbers on my site (the one that nhlnumbers relies on) are not correct ... but only because I haven't updated it with new info that's available because a few of the contracts (like the one for Staal) will slide and thus the cap numbers will adjust as a result.

P.S. - in the offseason, Kasparaitis counts against the cap.
Yeah, but you can be over the cap in the offseason so who cares?

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Irish Blues

vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Yeah, but you can be over the cap in the offseason so who cares?
For the most part, no one - but the overage allowable is only 10%. It's not likely that the Rangers will have to worry about it, but the Devils had that problem last summer and a couple other teams were at least into territory over $44 million. Teams can't just say, "... well yeah, but he's going to be in the AHL so he shouldn't count" and make decisions calculating their payroll room accordingly.

FWIW, I have the Rangers around $30 million after making all qualifying offers.

Irish Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:01 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
edit: I used that page Kodiak, just missed some stuff to the right. Have fixed most of it now, I think. It's approximately right at least.
Thanks for mentioning this so I don't look stupid.

Kodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 07:47 PM
kovalev27hf

from what i can gather the rangers should have close to 10 million dollars to spend AFTER they re-sign nylander, shanny, and give raises to the right guys. with that kind of money they can give a center 5 or 6 million with a comfy 4 million left in the pocket. and if they want to move a dman or two (mara,malik) they'd have an extra 5 6 million on top of that to spend on a free agent dman.

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:17 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Prucha only wants .85, and Hossa shouldn't get any more. Shanny should be 2, Lundqvist 3.5 tops and Avery should definitely not get a raise like that as an RFA... maybe 1.55 or 1.6. I also think Nylander will soften up and settle for 3.5 or so; I'm sure GMs realizes he's been 30 pts above career WITH JAGR.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Madness

I hope this thread will make people realize that we can sign players for up to $10 million next season (short term deals of course) totally risk-free (cap wise).

And I think Prucha will get more than 1.4................

So we can afford Forsberg and a decent 5 million D-man.

BTW, aren't Hollweg and Orr RFA's? or did we sign them recently, and what about Liffiton?

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:25 PM
nyr7andcounting

Nice, but problem is Nylander isn't signing for 4.5 million coming off his season, and Shanny might cost more than 3 million.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Prucha only wants .85, and Hossa shouldn't get any more. Shanny should be 2, Lundqvist 3.5 tops and Avery should definitely not get a raise like that as an RFA... maybe 1.55 or 1.6. I also think Nylander will soften up and settle for 3.5 or so; I'm sure GMs realizes he's been 30 pts above career WITH JAGR.

Have you seen some of recently signed contracts. Why would Nylander settle for less than what Hartnell got?...................and why would Lundqvist accept less than what Dipietro got?.............

But you're right about Hossa, he shouldn't get more than Prucha, and did Prucha say he only wants $0.85 million , well if that's true then good news for the Rangers.

Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Prucha isn't worth more than 1.2-1.4... if he was a UFA, he could try for more, but not now.

If Nylander wants over 4.5, simple solution; so long. Same with Shanny. He's an old man, likes the area and has a lot of class - he'll sign for 2M + 2M incentives, which is actually not a cut for him. If HE breaks character and refuses, again, so long... frees up lots of space for better, younger options.

And we will NOT get Forsberg. Period.

Old
06-20-2007, 08:37 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness View Post
Have you seen some of recently signed contracts. Why would Nylander settle for less than what Hartnell got?...................and why would Lundqvist accept less than what Dipietro got?.............

But you're right about Hossa, he shouldn't get more than Prucha, and did Prucha say he only wants $0.85 million , well if that's true then good news for the Rangers.
Actually no, I didn't know of those signings.

According to Brooks, he only wanted .85 but who knows now?

Old
06-21-2007, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting View Post
Nice, but problem is Nylander isn't signing for 4.5 million coming off his season, and Shanny might cost more than 3 million.
Then Nylander should call the moving van.$4 million is too much

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 05:52 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The cap will not be lower than $48 million or more than $50 million

$48.5 or $49 million

Old
06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The cap will not be lower than $48 million or more than $50 million

$48.5 or $49 million
In addition to the Cap being raised to the estimated 48-49 million, the players are expected to ask for the additional 5% bump that was written into the CBA. that would push a 48.5 million cap to 50.925, a 49 million cap to 51.45, a 49.5 cap to 51.975

The PA is waiting on the final 2007-08 Cap number to be set before they move on this. I would expect to see a cap number for the 07-08 season to be 50+

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:16 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Luke View Post
In addition to the Cap being raised to the estimated 48-49 million, the players are expected to ask for the additional 5% bump that was written into the CBA. that would push a 48.5 million cap to 50.925, a 49 million cap to 51.45, a 49.5 cap to 51.975

The PA is waiting on the final 2007-08 Cap number to be set before they move on this. I would expect to see a cap number for the 07-08 season to be 50+
Quote:
Indeed, one PA official told Slap Shots on Friday that Gary Bettman's recent proclamation that 2006-07 revenues would be close to $2.4 billion "is disconnected" from 2007-08 cap reality. Fact is, even if the PA does, as expected, assert its right to build a 5-percent bump into next year's cap (according to a union source, the 5-percent bump is a default number unless waived by both parties) it now appears that next year's upper limit will be no higher than $48.5 million.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06102007...oks.htm?page=2

Old
06-21-2007, 11:25 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Prucha isn't worth more than 1.2-1.4... if he was a UFA, he could try for more, but not now.

If Nylander wants over 4.5, simple solution; so long. Same with Shanny. He's an old man, likes the area and has a lot of class - he'll sign for 2M + 2M incentives, which is actually not a cut for him. If HE breaks character and refuses, again, so long... frees up lots of space for better, younger options.

And we will NOT get Forsberg. Period.
Based on the article in today's Post this doesn't sound unreasonable, although he might want a little more guaranteed.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/06212007...rry_brooks.htm

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote