HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sharks Sign Craig Rivet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-21-2007, 01:11 PM
  #101
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo-Nation View Post
I remember when they reported Miroslav Satan signed with Montreal in August 2005.
Can you read French ?
I guess not because your information is wrong. In 2005, at the start of free agency, KOvalev was a UFA and at about the same time they brought that story about Montréal being close to signing Satan, the team being in the top-3 teams in the running for Satan's services. Their mistake was to bring this story just when Kovalev's re-signing was announced. I guess, in the event that KovaleV would have gone eslewhere (like Pittsburgh), Satan was the back-up plan.
Still, they never reported Satan being SIGNED.

By the way, rds has really improved in terms of breaking out cntract signings. They were like a few weeks before anybody else when they reported Lombardi's new deal.
Could be the same with Rivet, since the guy, although overrated and overpaid, has strong ties with Montreal and its media.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 01:54 PM
  #102
Uber Coca
Registered User
 
Uber Coca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,135
vCash: 500
Wow. If there's a guy who shouldn't get paid 3,5$ millions a year, it's Rivet. Get ready for the " RIVET!!"

Uber Coca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:09 PM
  #103
Levizk
Registered User
 
Levizk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Monroeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain of the Ship View Post
2.1 million per year! What a steal!
The only things he's stealing are the people of Toronto's hopes for a cup this decade.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:24 PM
  #104
P2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
I don't understand this - 10 years & 650+ mediocre games in Montreal versus 17 good games in San Jose & Craig Rivet's suddenly worth $3.5 for 4 years?

He's a good guy & excellent in the room etc. ,etc. but what does this make Souray worth?

Souray's at least as much of a leader, significantly better defensively (all the pylon crap notwithstanding), far more of a physical presence, much more consistent (even considering his injuries) and on another planet offensively.

I was hoping that the Habs would walk away from Souray if he wanted much more than $5 per year for 4 years. It now seems like that wasn't even close to market value - I hope Shedlon enjoys life out West because I sure can't see Gainey paying close to what he's likely to get.

P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
  #105
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
I don't understand this - 10 years & 650+ mediocre games in Montreal versus 17 good games in San Jose & Craig Rivet's suddenly worth $3.5 for 4 years?

He's a good guy & excellent in the room etc. ,etc. but what does this make Souray worth?

Souray's at least as much of a leader, significantly better defensively (all the pylon crap notwithstanding), far more of a physical presence, much more consistent (even considering his injuries) and on another planet offensively.

I was hoping that the Habs would walk away from Souray if he wanted much more than $5 per year for 4 years. It now seems like that wasn't even close to market value - I hope Shedlon enjoys life out West because I sure can't see Gainey paying close to what he's likely to get.
The sad thing is that Rivet would've likely gotten something like a 3 year, 12 million dollar deal on the open market.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:03 PM
  #106
Plekanetzz
Registered User
 
Plekanetzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saguenay, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
OMG

Overpaid

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 03:25 PM
  #107
Timmy
Registered User
 
Timmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystobal View Post
OMG

Overpaid
I'm hoping someone has Ed Jovanovski on their show as a guest speaker to get his opinion on all these overpayments.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
  #108
Plekanetzz
Registered User
 
Plekanetzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Saguenay, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 540
vCash: 500

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 07:45 PM
  #109
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Can you read French ?
I guess not because your information is wrong. In 2005, at the start of free agency, KOvalev was a UFA and at about the same time they brought that story about Montréal being close to signing Satan, the team being in the top-3 teams in the running for Satan's services. Their mistake was to bring this story just when Kovalev's re-signing was announced. I guess, in the event that KovaleV would have gone eslewhere (like Pittsburgh), Satan was the back-up plan.
Still, they never reported Satan being SIGNED.

By the way, rds has really improved in terms of breaking out cntract signings. They were like a few weeks before anybody else when they reported Lombardi's new deal.
Could be the same with Rivet, since the guy, although overrated and overpaid, has strong ties with Montreal and its media.
Did I touch a nerve?

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:56 PM
  #110
GSK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uzbekistan
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post
Hannan is not > than Rivet. He is useless offensively and he hasn't been stellar defensively in the new NHL. If Hannan gets 5 mil then he and Timonen are far more overpaid than Rivet.
Hahahaha!!!

Its funny because when he was an habs every otehr fans was saying he was trash and garbage whatever... Nowdays SJS are trying to make him look better than Hannan ? Are you kidding me, after more than 10 season in Montreal I can tell you he is one of the most overpaid player in the league right now and at VERY VERY best a #4 d-man on weak core, an good #5 and a #6 on championship team. Don't let you fool by 10 games, SJS fans had no clue in reality WHO IS CRAIG RIVET...People on proposal was offering a #4th pick for him. You will be mad, real mad!

-Supid penality

-Shot 3 out of 4 times on the opponent forward from the point.

-A forward with a BIT of speed will own him on his right side so easily, get a candy off a baby's hands will be much more harder.)

Horrible contract!

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:02 PM
  #111
Sinistrophobia
Registered User
 
Sinistrophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggins View Post
People on proposal was offering a #4th pick for him.
Huh?

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:12 PM
  #112
GSK*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Uzbekistan
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 2,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsharks5 View Post
Huh?
Yeah a 4th rounder... Just go back on the proposal board and look at some Rivet proposal in general... Other fan base than the habs was saying he wasn't worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick...

He is a good guys, but not great in any specific area and defensively he is much more worst than few years away... 4 YEARS... Wow honestly I don't want to sound harsh but SJS will cry next season with this contract.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 10:29 PM
  #113
Sinistrophobia
Registered User
 
Sinistrophobia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,815
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggins View Post
Yeah a 4th rounder... Just go back on the proposal board and look at some Rivet proposal in general... Other fan base than the habs was saying he wasn't worth more than a 3rd or 4th round pick...

He is a good guys, but not great in any specific area and defensively he is much more worst than few years away... 4 YEARS... Wow honestly I don't want to sound harsh but SJS will cry next season with this contract.
Misinterpretation. Thought you meant something else by that.

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 04:55 AM
  #114
mytor4*
 
mytor4*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
I don't understand this - 10 years & 650+ mediocre games in Montreal versus 17 good games in San Jose & Craig Rivet's suddenly worth $3.5 for 4 years?

He's a good guy & excellent in the room etc. ,etc. but what does this make Souray worth?

Souray's at least as much of a leader, significantly better defensively (all the pylon crap notwithstanding), far more of a physical presence, much more consistent (even considering his injuries) and on another planet offensively.

I was hoping that the Habs would walk away from Souray if he wanted much more than $5 per year for 4 years. It now seems like that wasn't even close to market value - I hope Shedlon enjoys life out West because I sure can't see Gainey paying close to what he's likely to get.
thats because it's the way s.j. fanbase reacts. think back on some talk. thornton sucks in playoffs but s.j. claim he played good. s.j. fans on rivet when on the habs ,. he will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick, he is not very good, we don't need or want him, gets traded to s.j. for a NOTE 1st rd pick and a player and s.j. fans now claim rivet is great ,well worth 3.5 mil a yr,got rid of george for rivet what a steal[they tend to not mention the 1st rd pick].s.j fans on this board are well known to over value their players and under-value other players till the under-value player becomes part of there team than that same player becomes all of a sudden a top notch over-valued player. i get a real good laugh at s.j. offers where they claim they are getting ripped off when in fact they are getting offered MORE than there player is worth.i mean if i was a s.j. fan i wouldn't trade marleau for lecavalier straight up either.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
  #115
ClicheGuevara
Registered User
 
ClicheGuevara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,876
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Quebec TV network RDS reported Wednesday that San Jose has signed Rivet, 32, to a four-year, $14million contract that would make him the team's highest-paid defenseman, but a Sharks spokesman said Friday that negotiations are ongoing.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6201955?source=rss

ClicheGuevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:40 AM
  #116
Sanderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 4,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4 View Post
thats because it's the way s.j. fanbase reacts. think back on some talk. thornton sucks in playoffs but s.j. claim he played good. s.j. fans on rivet when on the habs ,. he will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick, he is not very good, we don't need or want him, gets traded to s.j. for a NOTE 1st rd pick and a player and s.j. fans now claim rivet is great ,well worth 3.5 mil a yr,got rid of george for rivet what a steal[they tend to not mention the 1st rd pick].s.j fans on this board are well known to over value their players and under-value other players till the under-value player becomes part of there team than that same player becomes all of a sudden a top notch over-valued player. i get a real good laugh at s.j. offers where they claim they are getting ripped off when in fact they are getting offered MORE than there player is worth.i mean if i was a s.j. fan i wouldn't trade marleau for lecavalier straight up either.
Really, that's complete rubbish.
Thornton didn't suck in the playoffs, nobody claimed that Rivet is suddenly great, it was just mentioned that he did better in San Jose than Hannan did, hardly anyone is saying that he is worth 3.5 million, but don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.

San Jose fans' are not known for overvalueing their players, it's just that the Sharks are a contender, and a contender doesn't accept lots of average players or young talents for their star players or the face of their franchise. Nor do they accept a trade that doesn't improve a team. You don't make a trade just for the sake of making a trade, especially when the player you lose is a key-player, you either improve the team or you keep everything as it is.

No one in their right mind trades players he has no interest in trading, for anything less than severe overpayment, how hard is it to grasp such a simple concept?

I don't think that there are all that many Sharks fans who wouldn't trade Marleau for Lecavalier, apart from maybe the cap-problem it could create, so how do you come up with this stuff?

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:33 PM
  #117
hab 4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montréal, Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo-Nation View Post
Did I touch a nerve?
No, not really. I think it is just not very smart to make assumptions when 1) you obviously do not have the correct information and 2) when it was written/reported in French which, if you can not understand it, means you heard it through a somebody else and thus, hardly qualifies you as being able to comment on it.
Rds has its flawa, but hardly deserves a bad reputation for something they never did.

hab 4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:36 PM
  #118
Phousse
Registered User
 
Phousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
No, not really. I think it is just not very smart to make assumptions when 1) you obviously do not have the correct information and 2) when it was written/reported in French which, if you can not understand it, means you heard it through a somebody else and thus, hardly qualifies you as being able to comment on it.
Rds has its flawa, but hardly deserves a bad reputation for something they never did.
I really don't think the world's opinion of RDS is going to change from my little post.

But ok, I see what you mean.

Yes I can read french, but it was almost 2 years ago and I somewhat forgot.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 05:37 PM
  #119
Rathmar
Registered User
 
Rathmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Country: United States
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Signing is official

http://www.sjsharks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3564

Rathmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 05:48 PM
  #120
Cyclops II*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiggins View Post
Hahahaha!!!

Its funny because when he was an habs every otehr fans was saying he was trash and garbage whatever... Nowdays SJS are trying to make him look better than Hannan ? Are you kidding me, after more than 10 season in Montreal I can tell you he is one of the most overpaid player in the league right now and at VERY VERY best a #4 d-man on weak core, an good #5 and a #6 on championship team. Don't let you fool by 10 games, SJS fans had no clue in reality WHO IS CRAIG RIVET...People on proposal was offering a #4th pick for him. You will be mad, real mad!

-Supid penality

-Shot 3 out of 4 times on the opponent forward from the point.

-A forward with a BIT of speed will own him on his right side so easily, get a candy off a baby's hands will be much more harder.)

Horrible contract!

No one said Rivet is a great player. The point is Hannan isn't that much either. Almost evertyhing you listed applies to Hannan as well.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:46 AM
  #121
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,226
vCash: 500
3.5 for 4 years? So a guy plays well on your team for a whole 2.5 months and you set him up for 4 years? News flash. Players dont do a 360 at 33 years of age and become a bona fide powerplay guy. And they sure as hell dont stay that way into their mid-late thirties. If this was a two year deal, Id buy it, but 4 years? Ouch. The likes of Rafalski and Schneider are drunk with happiness somewhere right now, because they can ask for 5M+ and still look classy.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:16 AM
  #122
Borat Sagdiyev
 
Borat Sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 139
vCash: 500
Yeah, I'm not really worried about it. It's a small overpayment. Maybe by half a mil per year, maybe 750k per year. So what. Sharks draft so well, they'll have young cheap d-men coming through the farm system to offset the slight overpayment to Rivet. The important thing is that his right handed shot was key to the team and his leadership and willingness to protect his teammates are elements this team is lacking in. The overpayment isn't that big of a deal to me.

Borat Sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 03:02 AM
  #123
chris39bong
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brea, CA
Country: Samoa
Posts: 735
vCash: 500
Funny how most posters believe Rivet is a #5 defenseman I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but in '06 he was around #40 league wide in average ice time among defensemen. Hmmm... let's do the math. With 30 teams in the league, that means Rivet was a TOP pairing defenseman, league-wide! In fact, he could have still slipped #20 spots in average ice time and still been a top pairing defenseman. Odd that people think he's a #5 defender. Let's look at this year. Another poster already pointed out that Rivet was getting over 21 minutes a game in Montreal. That'd make him at least a top 3 defensemen with them, and that was during an "off" year for him due to being sick half the year with pneumonia! Once he got to San Jose, he regularly received the most ice team out of every single Sharks defenseman, regular season and playoffs. More than Hannan, more than Vlasic, more than McLaren. But hey, what do NHL coaches know, right? They're crazy for giving Rivet top pairing minutes. Us posters on hockeysfuture know more than they do

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:11 AM
  #124
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 32,055
vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
3.5 for 4 years? So a guy plays well on your team for a whole 2.5 months and you set him up for 4 years? News flash. Players dont do a 360 at 33 years of age and become a bona fide powerplay guy. And they sure as hell dont stay that way into their mid-late thirties. If this was a two year deal, Id buy it, but 4 years? Ouch. The likes of Rafalski and Schneider are drunk with happiness somewhere right now, because they can ask for 5M+ and still look classy.
Um...ok. Say what you want but he has a pretty important role on the Sharks club right now. Veteran leaders don't come cheap. As for Schneider and Rafalski, they were going to be able to ask for 5 mil+ not because of Rivet's 3.5 mil but rather because of Markov's 5.5 and Timonen's 6.3 mil contracts. The length may be a little iffy but I don't think the Sharks would be able to survive without some sort of veteran presence on their blue line and in fact still need to get another one like Mathieu Schneider.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.