HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

The HFNHL Hard Cap - MUST READ

Old
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
The HFNHL Hard Cap - MUST READ

Gentleman and Alvaro,

I am writing this to inform you that we have made an executive decision to shift towards a HARD cap for the 2013/2014 HFNHL season.

So not only will we have a hard floor of 40 million, but also a hard cap of 64.3 for next season.

How will this cap be calculated/maintained you ask? This is a great question and it is something that we are still working hard to figure out behind the scenes. It is likely that our new version of the SIM will calculate and maintain the Cap for us, as this is a function that we can use. It is also likely that all players on your pro roster will count towards your cap. As well, it is likely that players of a certain contract amount (aka larger contracts) will not be allowed to be stashed in the minors, so be wary of signing these contracts during the free agent season.

I understand that there might be some frustration voiced over the lack of EXACT details surrounding the implementation of this hard cap. But please be aware that everyone in the league will be effected equally by this, as we experiment in order to make our league better. The concept of a hard cap was something that was unanimously voted upon by our admin team so we are hoping that we have your support for this direction as well.

Thanks guys,
Brock (and the HFNHL Admin team)

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Also, to answer questions about free agency...

We're working hard behind the scenes to get everything prepared for a start date in the next 1-2 weeks.

And to answer your questions about site updates...

With Matt no longer our SIMgod, we're splitting up duties for the offseason and the new season. The transfer of files and licenses is something that takes time. It'd be great to have a website update completed before free agency starts, but it might not happen. The website is up to date from before the draft, so you should be able to figure out the new contracts that you've signed and determine your financial situation from that.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Dempsey

vCash: 50
I like it. It will make things easier.

The problems will come though when teams against the cap get injuries and need to call up guys from the farm. Constant teams going over the cap as those injury replacements put them over.

The sim has an option though, that allows players with a condition rating of the league's choosing to not count against the cap. In my STHS league I set this at 95 or there are just a ton of problems with teams going over the cap every other night. You can also set this for suspended players as well.

Just a suggestion/heads up.

Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey View Post
I like it. It will make things easier.

The problems will come though when teams against the cap get injuries and need to call up guys from the farm. Constant teams going over the cap as those injury replacements put them over.

The sim has an option though, that allows players with a condition rating of the league's choosing to not count against the cap. In my STHS league I set this at 95 or there are just a ton of problems with teams going over the cap every other night. You can also set this for suspended players as well.

Just a suggestion/heads up.
Thanks Mike. We knew about the option and we definitely plan on using it. We didn't know what to set it at though, so that's perfect.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:46 PM
islanders

Send a message via ICQ to islanders
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Gentleman and Alvaro,

I am writing this to inform you that we have made an executive decision to shift towards a HARD cap for the 2013/2014 HFNHL season.

So not only will we have a hard floor of 40 million, but also a hard cap of 64.3 for next season.

How will this cap be calculated/maintained you ask? This is a great question and it is something that we are still working hard to figure out behind the scenes. It is likely that our new version of the SIM will calculate and maintain the Cap for us, as this is a function that we can use. It is also likely that all players on your pro roster will count towards your cap. As well, it is likely that players of a certain contract amount (aka larger contracts) will not be allowed to be stashed in the minors, so be wary of signing these contracts during the free agent season.

I understand that there might be some frustration voiced over the lack of EXACT details surrounding the implementation of this hard cap. But please be aware that everyone in the league will be effected equally by this, as we experiment in order to make our league better. The concept of a hard cap was something that was unanimously voted upon by our admin team so we are hoping that we have your support for this direction as well.

Thanks guys,
Brock (and the HFNHL Admin team)
I think this is great news and will make our league more competitive.

islanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Regal Beagles

All hail the hard cap. Huzzah.

Regal Beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

I'm a bit confused, didn't we have a hard cap already?

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Canuck09

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
I'm a bit confused, didn't we have a hard cap already?
No. We had a salary cap that was measured as an average of your top 21 OV players at 3 different checkpoints during the season. If you were under by say $10m during the first 2 checkpoints you could go over by $20m for the last checkpoint. Going forward you will never be allowed over the cap and won't be just your top 21.

Canuck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I feel like this may retroactively make a few contracts signed, namely UDFA contracts, a bit unfair *cough Ryan Lasch*. Will there be a one time amnesty for players signed to these deals under the "old CBA", so to speak where you could hide these players in the minors? My entire signing strategy for him was the knowledge that he could be buried down there. Is that just an SOL move now?

Would it be fair to have each team one "amnesty buyout", that has no impact on cash but clears the books of these kind of speculative contracts?

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:48 AM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I feel like this may retroactively make a few contracts signed, namely UDFA contracts, a bit unfair *cough Ryan Lasch*. Will there be a one time amnesty for players signed to these deals under the "old CBA", so to speak where you could hide these players in the minors? My entire signing strategy for him was the knowledge that he could be buried down there. Is that just an SOL move now?

Would it be fair to have each team one "amnesty buyout", that has no impact on cash but clears the books of these kind of speculative contracts?
I would say that something like this is likely - but it will probably (and I am purely speculating here) not be a buyout (not that some can afford it) - but some grandfathering of contracts already in the minors - or an age limit (players under 26 being excempt) or waiver rule (if they pass waivers you can stash them) or contract size rule (players making less than X dollars can be stashed)... Plus a few other possibilities

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote