HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rumor : Montreal pushing hard to get Marleau ( RDS )

Old
06-22-2007, 08:03 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
if marleau has a no trade he is not waving it to go to Montreal.
You know this how? Link?

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:04 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
You know this how? Link?
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9631329&postcount=74

There you go, it's confirmed now please shut it

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:06 AM
facts

Quote:
You know this how? Link?
why would you need a link to site an opinion. Or if you need a link I could just make one up like media in Montreal.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:10 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

"There's no way we'd trade Higgins or Komisarek"

Why??

They're great players, but neither is as good or ever will be as good as Patrick Marleau. If you get the best player in the deal, especially one that I would classify as "in his prime" the way Marleau is, how is this a bad deal? Because it's HF and no one wants to deal young players or high draft picks? Marleau would INSTANTLY make the Habs a legit threat, rather than a borderline team. I'm a huge Chris Higgins fan, and I like Komi more than I did in the past...but come on, we're talking about Marleau, here, and it's not like the Sharks would ask for both...but chances are, one of the two would have to go the other way, or else there'll be another team that IS willing to part with a good young player.

You're trying to have your cake and rob the bakery.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:15 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

Why??
I'm uneasy about it because they're both young, cheap, and valuable to our team. I know you have to give to get (especially with the Sharks, who would never let another team fleece them like they fleeced Boston), but the notion of trading away one of those guys for what might only amount to one year of Patrick Marleau just doesn't sit right with me. Like someone else mentioned, if there was a guarantee we could lock up Marleau for 3-4 years upon trading Higgins or Komo, then I'd be much more inclined to do it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:

Why??
The Habs are in no position to be trading away Komisarek. Have you seen our blueline depth? I'm guessing no since you said that, but take a look.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:17 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:

Why??

They're great players, but neither is as good or ever will be as good as Patrick Marleau. If you get the best player in the deal, especially one that I would classify as "in his prime" the way Marleau is, how is this a bad deal? Because it's HF and no one wants to deal young players or high draft picks? Marleau would INSTANTLY make the Habs a legit threat, rather than a borderline team. I'm a huge Chris Higgins fan, and I like Komi more than I did in the past...but come on, we're talking about Marleau, here, and it's not like the Sharks would ask for both...but chances are, one of the two would have to go the other way, or else there'll be another team that IS willing to part with a good young player.

It's really not a surprise. No one is ever really willing to give to get.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:18 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
The Habs are in no position to be trading away Komisarek. Have you seen our blueline depth? I'm guessing no since you said that, but take a look.
Fair enough.

Old
06-22-2007, 08:28 AM
znk

Bot Higgins and Komisarek are great friends and spend alot of time together. Others mentioned reasons an other reason that might not seem important to some is the fact Higgins comes from a family that just love the Habs. You know he's living his dream right now. I dont think it would be wise trading away a guy who might end up giving the team a discount.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:31 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Bot Higgins and Komisarek are great friends and spend alot of time together. Others mentioned reasons an other reason that might not seem important to some is the fact Higgins comes from a family that just love the Habs. You know he's living his dream right now. I dont think it would be wise trading away a guy who might end up giving the team a discount.
That's a HUGE if. The "discount" has become something of the white whale of the NHL and HF. It's oft-spoken of by salty old tars in their seaside drinking holes, it's whispered from the lips of 8-year olds on the sandlot, but so rarely ever actually seen. I don't think you can hold on to a player for sentimental reasons. If the team is better at the end of the day, you've made a good deal. Like I said, there's no doubt that Chris Higgins is a great player...but he's not Patrick Marleau. In a perfect world, a deal centered around Michael Ryder would get it done...but this isn't a perfect world, not even close.

Old
06-22-2007, 08:35 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
I do. Higgins is a special kind of player, one you just don't trade unless you have to, further down the line, for salary reasons. I'm expecting big numbers from him as soon as next year. He's exactly the type of forward Montreal needs, has leadership qualities, is happy in Montreal, a complete package and is still dirt cheap. Now I'm sure there will rightfully so be someone to point out most of these qualities apply to Marleau, and that might be so, but Higgins is proven in Montreal, Marleau is not, and I've seen enough players come and go here to know that it takes a special kind of package to be able to enjoy success under the pressure cooker that is Montreal, especially under their very defensive minded system. Too big a gamble to trade a guy who could essentially be worth his weight in gold as soon as next year. I don't care about value coming back, you just don't trade key core elements. You add to them. Otherwise it's not a good transaction.

BTW, all these arguments above could be reversed and used to justify why Marleau shouldn't be going anywhere as well.
Same. I'd have a real hard time giving up Higgins. I know your suppose to give to get, so I wouldn't get if the price is Higgins. I love Marleau, but I just don't see this panning out, but you never know.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
why would you need a link to site an opinion. Or if you need a link I could just make one up like media in Montreal.
Then don't state it as fact unless it's proveable:

You said:

"if marleau has a no trade he is not waving it to go to Montreal."

If you had said:

"In my opinion if marleau has a no trade he is not waving it to go to Montreal."

or

"I don't think marleau will go to Montreal if he has a no trade clause"

I wouldn't have asked you to post proof. Now that we've established it's your opinion, provide reasons and support for your opinion. Why do you feel he wouldn't go to Montreal?

On a sidenote, what does the Montreal Media has to do with me asking for a link? Relevance?

Old
06-22-2007, 08:40 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
Then don't state it as fact unless it's proveable:

You said:

"if marleau has a no trade he is not waving it to go to Montreal."

If you had said:

"In my opinion if marleau has a no trade he is not waving it to go to Montreal."

or

"I don't think marleau will go to Montreal if he has a no trade clause"

I wouldn't have asked you to post proof.

Now what does the Montreal Media has to do with me asking for a link? Relevance?
I agree, but it goes both ways. There's just as many people in this thread declaring what the Habs will and will not do, and who and who is not available.

I think if you have a good GM...no one is ever untouchable. There's a price for everyone. It might be unreasonably high...but if someone bites...it's for the good of the team.

Old
06-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

Why??

The Habs likely aren't going to be cup contenders next season, with or without Marleau. The only way they could substantiate trading their future for an UFA to be would be to guarantee that Marleau would be around for a long time. As of right now, there is no assurance of that. Hence why it wouldn't be a good trade for the Habs. It might be the type of trade a team looking for the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle might make, but not the Habs. I'd be very upset if the Habs traded Higgins and/or Komisarek and/or whatever, had another mediocre finish, don't make the playoffs or last a round or two, and then lose Marleau in a year.

Quote:
I agree, but it goes both ways. There's just as many people in this thread declaring what the Habs will and will not do, and who and who is not available.

I think if you have a good GM...no one is ever untouchable. There's a price for everyone. It might be unreasonably high...but if someone bites...it's for the good of the team.

Agree on all counts. I don't hold anybody sacred on the Habs, but given where the Habs are in terms of development, dealing their best young players for a one year fix isn't exactly logical. We aren't the Preds trading for what we think is the final piece of the puzzle in Forsberg. That made sense for the Preds because of where they were in their development. IMO it wouldn't make sense for the Habs.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 06-22-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old
06-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Athlétique_Canadien

Not thread related. I didn't want to bombarde you all with a new one.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Kovy for Tanguay?

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:53 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm uneasy about it because they're both young, cheap, and valuable to our team. I know you have to give to get (especially with the Sharks, who would never let another team fleece them like they fleeced Boston), but the notion of trading away one of those guys for what might only amount to one year of Patrick Marleau just doesn't sit right with me. Like someone else mentioned, if there was a guarantee we could lock up Marleau for 3-4 years upon trading Higgins or Komo, then I'd be much more inclined to do it.
i think everbody is jumping the gun here , SJS trading marleau to what ever team for what ever , under the premise that drury will be a shark on july first just makes no sense to me . why would they do that ? they trade marleau at the draft then come july first drury lands somewhere other than san jose , that sounds like a recipie for professional suicide on the part of doug wilson . i think that if a marleau trade does happen it will be on or after july first unless of course it's going to be for roster players and they have no real intrest in drury and they see higgins as a younger cheaper version of him thus freeing up some cap space in order to pursue an experienced d-man to compliment rivet . hmmmmmmmm , so many possibilities .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/s...rtsHockey/home

Kovy for Tanguay?
Brutal.

To Mtl:
Tanguay

To Cal:
Kovy
lifetime supply of lube

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHLÉTIQUE_CANADIEN View Post

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070621.wsptdraft21/GSStory/GlobeSportsHockey/home

Kovy for Tanguay?
I'd do it from a Habs perspective. Don't know why Calgary would though. Tanguay is younger and better. Unless Montreal adds some gravy, I don't see it happening.

I also think it would be stupid to trade two first rounders for the 7th pick overall in order to be able to take Esposito. There would be better players available at #7 than Esposito.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:21 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Habs likely aren't going to be cup contenders next season, with or without Marleau. The only way they could substantiate trading their future for an UFA to be would be to guarantee that Marleau would be around for a long time. As of right now, there is no assurance of that. Hence why it wouldn't be a good trade for the Habs. It might be the type of trade a team looking for the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle might make, but not the Habs. I'd be very upset if the Habs traded Higgins and/or Komisarek and/or whatever, had another mediocre finish, don't make the playoffs or last a round or two, and then lose Marleau in a year.
This is where worried Habs fans incorrect. A deal like this rarely goes down without the team trading for the soon to be UFA signing him to an extension. If the Habs are going to trade for Marleau, they'll do it with the intent and belief that they can sign him long term. It's very rare that this doesn't happen, I can't recall an instant off the top of my head where a player bolted after a team went out of their way to get him a year from UFA.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:25 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:

Why??

I think you may be selling Higgins short a little prematurely. I'm not saying that he'll be the player Marleau will be, but their careers seem to be following the same pattern. Before JT showed up in SJ, Marleau's best year was 57 pts, and he didn't score 30 goals. Odds are, if Higgins played the full year this season, he would have scored 30 +. Not bad for a second year player. Makes me wonder what Marleau will do in Montreal when he's counted on to be "the" guy. I'll keep Higgins.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This is where worried Habs fans incorrect. A deal like this rarely goes down without the team trading for the soon to be UFA signing him to an extension. If the Habs are going to trade for Marleau, they'll do it with the intent and belief that they can sign him long term. It's very rare that this doesn't happen, I can't recall an instant off the top of my head where a player bolted after a team went out of their way to get him a year from UFA.
Just two recent ones off the top of my head:

Bertuzzi likely won't re-sign in Florida.

Pressing likely won't re-sign in Ottawa.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't support a trade for Marleau, unless he's signed to a long term deal.

Old
06-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Just two recent ones off the top of my head:

Bertuzzi likely won't re-sign in Florida.

Pressing likely won't re-sign in Ottawa.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't support a trade for Marleau, unless he's signed to a long term deal.
Tuzzi's in Detroit.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytor4 View Post
if i was s.j. trading marleau to the habs the asking price would be markov and higgins. than as a s.j. fan i would know i would be getting fair value for our captain. i'm also tired of hearing about these offers where we get ripped off like redden for our captain or these higgins,streit and picks for our captain . when will people learn s.j. is not in the market to give their great players away for nothing.
Cripes we get it! You don't like San Jose fans. Get over it because it ain't funny every time you mock them.

06-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Tuzzi's in Detroit.
Meh, should have said Tuzzi didn't sign in Florida. Point is he was a year away from UFA when he was acquired, was the center piece of the deal for Luongo, took alot to get him and they didn't sign him to a long term deal right away. I don't want the same thing happening with Marleau should the Habs acquire him.

Old
06-22-2007, 11:15 AM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
As I stated, if a deal happens, a big if, and the Sharks want fair value, a longterm contract must come attached to Marleau. If not, I'd be a tad upset if the Habs gave up something like Higgins+, and I would call Gainey an idiot. Now if Marleau agrees to a 4 year contract extension, I don't have a problem with the Habs giving up Higgins+.
That has merit and is a distinct possibility.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote