HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Rumor : Montreal pushing hard to get Marleau ( RDS )

Old
06-22-2007, 11:17 AM
Sargent Pepper*

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Psycho Papa Joe;9631769]The Habs likely aren't going to be cup contenders next season, with or without Marleau. The only way they could substantiate trading their future for an UFA to be would be to guarantee that Marleau would be around for a long time. As of right now, there is no assurance of that. Hence why it wouldn't be a good trade for the Habs. It might be the type of trade a team looking for the final piece of a Stanley Cup puzzle might make, but not the Habs. I'd be very upset if the Habs traded Higgins and/or Komisarek and/or whatever, had another mediocre finish, don't make the playoffs or last a round or two, and then lose Marleau in a year.

Actually, you are very right again. The habs have no intentions of being cup contender next year. They want to be good but more important is that they are buiding to be THE cup contender in 2009 (the year of the 100th anniversary of the Habs).

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:03 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
Just two recent ones off the top of my head:

Bertuzzi likely won't re-sign in Florida.

Pressing likely won't re-sign in Ottawa.

Basically what I'm saying is that I don't support a trade for Marleau, unless he's signed to a long term deal.
Oh, I was more looking at the key player of in the deal, not parts of a package. Luongo, Pronger, Havlat, etc etc. Teams throw together good packages to aquire a star player, then make sure they can get them signed. I guess Bertuzzi sort of counts, but Florida didn't trade Luongo just so they could get Bertuzzi, it was more of a 'Luongo's jumping ship next year, so lets see what we can get' thing.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:07 PM
Plekanetzz

vCash: 500
The update from Eklund site at 2h41 PM

Another source just informed me that Montreal has stepped it up as well in the last hour...Marleau and a possible deal with LA... -Eklund

Plekanetzz is offline   Reply With Quote