HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings "interested" in Gerber and Redden

Old
06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Mxpunk

vCash: 500
Kings "interested" in Gerber and Redden

I say yay on Redden....Nay on Gerber....We don't need another Chechmanek..

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...a2&k=27139&p=1

Mxpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Osprey

I don't see how Gerber is any better than Garon. The Kings would likely get just as good goaltending from Garon for half the price ($1.85M vs. Gerber's $3.7M). So, then, how would acquiring Gerber make any sense?

I'd take Redden, sure, just as most people probably would. The issue is how much he'd cost. He may well not be worth that cost to the Kings when they can just sign or develop someone else. I take "The Los Angeles Kings are also expected to kick the tires" as mostly "if Ottawa wants to practically give him away to a Western team, the Kings would happily oblige."

I chuckled at the mentioning of Corvo possibly being on the trade block after only one year.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:15 PM
no name

Good find. My thoughts are that I don't want to see any quick fixes like this. This will not make us win. Lets not go backwards.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
kingsfan25

Every season, there are a number of goalies who underperform. This year, Dan Cloutier was, far and away, the worst-performing netminder that I saw. He couldn't stop anything. Every other struggling netminder was pretty far removed from that level of suckage...the closest I saw was Martin Gerber, and, had the starter's job not been taken away from Gerber so quickly, he might've given Cloutier a run for his money. At his worst, pucks appeared to be literally going through MG, especially gloveside. While I do think he might rebound next season if given a chance, I don't want the Kings to take any more risks in the netminding department. As for Redden, of course, I'd love it if he came to the Kings.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:24 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
1. Martin Gerber's numbers in Ottawa were identical to his numbers in Carolina save his win/loss record.

2. apparently the Kings are initerested in just about every player that every pundit seems to think, either wants out or is headed out.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Capn Brown

Getting Gerber makes sense ONLY if Cloutier goes the other way.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Redden, yes. Gerber, maybe in a different situation, but definitely not with this team. Contrary to popular belief, Gerber really wasn't that bad, but that's going backwards. We can't take that risk. Of course, Cloutier or Tverdovsky would have to go back.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:39 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Redden, yes. Gerber, maybe in a different situation, but definitely not with this team. Contrary to popular belief, Gerber really wasn't that bad, but that's going backwards. We can't take that risk. Of course, Cloutier or Tverdovsky would have to go back.
For awhile...yeah, he was.

Old
06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Yeah, for a while. Look at how they started the season, that's not just Gerber's fault. The goalie is as good as the defense will let him be. I'm not arguing in favor of Gerber, that's just the truth. If we really wanted him, we would have signed him last summer.

Once they started playing good, he started playing good. That's the case with 70% of the goalies in the league.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2007, 11:55 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Yeah, for a while. Look at how they started the season, that's not just Gerber's fault. The goalie is as good as the defense will let him be. I'm not arguing in favor of Gerber, that's just the truth. If we really wanted him, we would have signed him last summer.

Once they started playing good, he started playing good. That's the case with 70% of the goalies in the league.
I agree with the notion that a goalie's performance is tied to the defense of his team. But I saw him get beat too many times by shots that were well outside the slot that he had an absolutely clear sight line on to totally dismiss his performance as simply a result of the play in front of him. Right from the start he just seemed to lose all feel for his position in the net. I won't say that his team had nothing to do with his poor performance, but they certainly weren't all that was plaguing him.

Old
06-22-2007, 12:15 AM
the_nole

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
But I saw him get beat too many times by shots that were well outside the slot that he had an absolutely clear sight line...
sounds familiar

the_nole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:41 AM
funky

Pass on both. Gerber = Cloutier, Redden = huge contact. I like Redden but I would rather see us lock up a guy like Hannan for cheaper and possibly a chaper d-man for the 3rd pairing.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:36 AM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Gerber for Cloutier...how many words for YES can I mention???

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
jimmy1100

No to Redden, he's a great player but he's not worth what the cap hit will prevent us from doing in the future.

No to Gerber, even straight up for Cloutier, see previous reason. I'm FAR more comfortable giving the job to JLB to lose that risking an additional $2.5 million for a Cloutier redux.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Randart

No to Gerber... I hope DL can lay off this X-Duck! Oh god in heaven above please! Besides he was never a Shark! So he will more than likely not get a offer from DL!
Now Wade Redden is a good player but I would be surprized if he is not back with the Sens... The danger is Gerber... DL does love to get goalies... I only hope he is happy with Ersberg or has his sights set on another!
Good points Jimmy!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:39 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

more likely than not, its Kings are interested in Redden, and willing to absorb Gerbers contract....

if there's any available player this summer, Redden is the one worth investing in

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:51 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
...I don't want the Kings to take any more risks in the netminding department.
OK, honestly... aside from getting Luongo, Brodeur, maybe Turco or the recently signed Giguere... what goaltender ISN'T a "risk" from the Kings perspective? Jason LaBarbera? HUGE Risk... but, since the Kings are a team that is not going anywhere but into the black hole in 07-08, it's a risk you take, because you're not really risking anything. Gerber's contract makes no sense AS IS for the Kings, but if DL and BM were to get creative, he's as serviceable as any of the mid-line guys that could come in for a year or two (or three) while they assess the progress and NHL-readiness of a Bernier.

Personally, I'd rather have Toivonen and LaBarbera as a tandem and see if either has true "1A" capabilities.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:29 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoSoupy View Post
OK, honestly... aside from getting Luongo, Brodeur, maybe Turco or the recently signed Giguere... what goaltender ISN'T a "risk" from the Kings perspective? Jason LaBarbera? HUGE Risk... but, since the Kings are a team that is not going anywhere but into the black hole in 07-08, it's a risk you take, because you're not really risking anything. Gerber's contract makes no sense AS IS for the Kings, but if DL and BM were to get creative, he's as serviceable as any of the mid-line guys that could come in for a year or two (or three) while they assess the progress and NHL-readiness of a Bernier.

Personally, I'd rather have Toivonen and LaBarbera as a tandem and see if either has true "1A" capabilities.
Fine...I'd like to take less of a risk than the guy who was competing with Dan Cloutier for the most regressed goalie award last season.

Old
06-22-2007, 11:45 AM
mikealive

i'd wouldnt mind having gerber here. labs and gerber, looks much better than labs and cloutier.

i wont give up much for him though

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:08 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Yeah, I guess Gerber's regression included his GAA of 2005-06 (2.78) and Save Pctg. of 2005-06 (.906) staying EXACTLY THE SAME in 06-07, and losing only 9 times in regulation out of his 27 decisions in Dan Cloutier territory.

That he lost his job to Ray Emery, was evident. That he gave up some soft goals was also evident, but his numbers and his record indicate that he hardly regressed to Cloutier like performances.

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:20 PM
kingsfan25

Despite their early struggles, Ottawa always had a better team than LA. I think you can attribute that to his decent-looking numbers. Moreover, I said in my original post that he was the only goalie who even came close to challenging Cloutier, not that he was on the same level; that sentiment wasn't clear in my second post.

When I'm judging the performance of these goalies, I'm going based on personal experience watching them and, at the beginning of the year, Gerber was letting in absolutely terrible goals. It was like he forgot how to play the position and lost all confidence in his game. Like I said, he might rebound next year, but if DL is going to try an upgrade in net, I'd prefer he explore other options.

Old
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
pdw

Quote:
I said in my original post that he was the only goalie who even came close to challenging Cloutier, not that he was on the same level; that sentiment wasn't clear in my second post.
give your head a shake, I would rather Have Gerber on my team than MANY other goalies out there.. Your clearly forgetting Theodore, Khabiboulin, Lalime, Raycroft, Tellqvist. All played well in the past but not anymore..
You are not taking into consideration that Gerber started out bad but then got better. Not the other way around. And ya the whole team played better but that argument can go both ways

pdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:41 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Whatever team Gerber plays for goes to the Finals. That's good enough for me.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 01:51 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
give your head a shake, I would rather Have Gerber on my team than MANY other goalies out there.. Your clearly forgetting Theodore, Khabiboulin, Lalime, Raycroft, Tellqvist. All played well in the past but not anymore..
You are not taking into consideration that Gerber started out bad but then got better. Not the other way around. And ya the whole team played better but that argument can go both ways
Theodore played poorly. Khabibulin, Lalime, Raycroft and Tellqvist all pretty much played better last season than in their prior ones.

Look, if the trade was Gerber for Cloutier, which I don't see the Sens going for, I wouldn't really be opposed because of Gerber's solid performance prior to last season and the fact that, in addition to having a hip problem, DC was never the model of a solid goaltender before he came to LA. However, the guy had some serious trouble this season and I don't want him on the team unless it's as a replacement for DC and, even then, as a last resort (and, by last resort, I mean that he's the last I'd want of who's available...not in the entire league).

Old
06-22-2007, 03:02 PM
mikealive

holy crap reddens contract is huge! 6.5 million. no thanks. not to mention he has a no trade clause.

mikealive is offline   Reply With Quote