HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Why not Brad Richards?

Old
06-22-2007, 12:47 AM
ReLyT

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
Why not Brad Richards?

Okay I'm looking at the chance of trading the first pick for Richards straight up and wondering why are so many Hawks fans saying no to this so quickly. He is easily in the same class as Gomez, Briere, and Drury as a top notch center. Alot of people (myself included) say he is the best out of that group. But still people say he's overpriced at 7.5mil.

Lets be realistic here we are still the Chicago Blackhawks are we gonna be able to sign one of Gomez, Briere and Drury with 20+ other teams going after them? Probably not.

Even if we are in the running for any of them im guessing the contract will be for 6+mil a season. Plus in negotiating they'd have to chose one out of the top three to go hard after and if we dont get him which usually happens to the Hawks what then? We end up with nothing and other teams have already picked up the Handzus's and other step down centerman for cheaper.

Given signing one of those guys and keeping the first pick is what's best but do you honestly believe we could land one of the big UFA's?

Tallon's done a great job lately but I still don't see it happening. Move the pick for Richards plus something and we have a elite centreman for Havlat. Richards had an off year and still had 45 assists playing alot of time without Vinny and Marty. Imagine what he'd do with Havlat.

Just food for thought.

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:49 AM
ReLyT

Of course alot of this depends on if we can afford it... we'de be the new Lightning with three 6+ players... but we would anyway if we land one other big ufa...

Old
06-22-2007, 12:53 AM
bullsville

Send a message via MSN to bullsville
He is a great player but its too expensive,i think

bullsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 02:21 AM
ReLyT

and one of Gomez/Drury/Briere wouldn't be?

Old
06-22-2007, 03:48 AM
bullsville

Send a message via MSN to bullsville
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
and one of Gomez/Drury/Briere wouldn't be?
Yeah they will be expensive but not in the level of Richards,probably they will get 6 or 6.5 mil but not 7.8 like Richards

bullsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 07:21 AM
Gardebut30

Quote:
Okay I'm looking at the chance of trading the first pick for Richards straight up and wondering why are so many Hawks fans saying no to this so quickly.
Probably because Feaster has already shot that rumor down.

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:48 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardebut30 View Post
Probably because Feaster has already shot that rumor down.

Trust me that is a smoke screen going on right now.

Richards is on the block today on Columbus and before July 1 Feaster wants him moved.

Drury is comparable but doesn't have the hands of Richards or finish.

Some major deals will fall by Sun Down a lot of buyers out there.

With Acouin now gone and maybe a Lapointe buy-out Chicago will be in good shape.

The Pic of Kane for Richards is very tempting and if Feaster swallowed 1.5 of his 4 year deal Tallon may look at it. He said it would have to be a block buster and Brad Richards is top shelf.

Get Toews Skille and Bolland ice time this year and having Richards there would speed their progress. The defence is set so what do hawk fans think.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Trust me that is a smoke screen going on right now.

Richards is on the block today on Columbus and before July 1 Feaster wants him moved.

Drury is comparable but doesn't have the hands of Richards or finish.

Some major deals will fall by Sun Down a lot of buyers out there.

With Acouin now gone and maybe a Lapointe buy-out Chicago will be in good shape.

The Pic of Kane for Richards is very tempting and if Feaster swallowed 1.5 of his 4 year deal Tallon may look at it. He said it would have to be a block buster and Brad Richards is top shelf.

Get Toews Skille and Bolland ice time this year and having Richards there would speed their progress. The defence is set so what do hawk fans think.
Pretty sure you can't do that with the new CBA.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 12:18 PM
ReLyT

1st, Zyuzin for Richards covers that 1.7 for one year at least...

Old
06-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Pretty sure you can't do that with the new CBA.
You can't. So bye bye to that theroy.

06-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Default101

also not just the new CBA, but Kane and Turris both have the potential to be better than Richards, they very well may not be but i think the odds are good that in 7 years they will be at the same level, so why not keep someone who will be just as good if not better and be about 8 years younger

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 07:12 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Okay I'm looking at the chance of trading the first pick for Richards straight up and wondering why are so many Hawks fans saying no to this so quickly. He is easily in the same class as Gomez, Briere, and Drury as a top notch center. Alot of people (myself included) say he is the best out of that group. But still people say he's overpriced at 7.5mil.

Lets be realistic here we are still the Chicago Blackhawks are we gonna be able to sign one of Gomez, Briere and Drury with 20+ other teams going after them? Probably not.

Even if we are in the running for any of them im guessing the contract will be for 6+mil a season. Plus in negotiating they'd have to chose one out of the top three to go hard after and if we dont get him which usually happens to the Hawks what then? We end up with nothing and other teams have already picked up the Handzus's and other step down centerman for cheaper.

Given signing one of those guys and keeping the first pick is what's best but do you honestly believe we could land one of the big UFA's?

Tallon's done a great job lately but I still don't see it happening. Move the pick for Richards plus something and we have a elite centreman for Havlat. Richards had an off year and still had 45 assists playing alot of time without Vinny and Marty. Imagine what he'd do with Havlat.

Just food for thought.

They'd probably want a player plus the bunch of draft picks Florida gave up for Vokoun.

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote