HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds Sale Thread

Old
06-30-2007, 11:29 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
I resent your overgeneralization.....take me for example: Southern lady.....never grew up with hockey. Husband...football player in college.....southern...never grew up with hockey. Yet we spend ~10K every year on tickets and simply love hockey. We never attend other sporting events anymore...just hockey. We invest a huge amount of our time (and money) to hockey.

Nashville also sold a lot of tickets on the chance that a team was coming here so that point does not hold water.

Youth hockey is huge and growing in Nashville. Hockey will become a mainstay here....it just takes time.
Nashville sold 12500 to be exact and 75 suites, not deposits, actually sold.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 01:15 PM
PredDave

Phil Esposito (on XM afternoon show) said that deposits don't mean squat. When Tampa came into the league in the early 90's, they took over 19,000 deposits. But, when the people had to actually pony up to pay for real season tickets, less than half actually did....

So, Hamilton can bite my butt!

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 06:12 PM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
The thing is, if any team were to look into moving to a market that didn't have a team, almost any team would see a boost in attendance in that new city. After a few years of lackluster play though, attendance would likely start to drop. Attendance in Phoenix was good when the team first moved there, but look at it now, numbers are down due to the team not being very good. So yes, Hamilton sold 14,000 deposits for tickets, but if the team were not that good in 5-10 years the attendance would likely go down again. So in the end, I say Keep the team in Nashville.
Nope. The leafs have sucked for years. Their fans still come out.

cantskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2007, 06:19 PM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Some people have things all wrong here.

I don't think anyone is comparing Nashville to Hamilton in terms of pure hockey support. In fact, I fully believe that Hamilton has more hockey fans than Nashville does at this point.

Its a bit unfair to compare areas who have had hockey for 40+ years compared to areas like Nashville.

Obviously the NHL is trying to grow the game by having teams in Nashville, Atlanta, etc. They're going for potential. Hence having teams in some of the biggest growing areas in the US. Now whether or not that is the best direction for the NHL is your opinion and ANOTHER thread. Don't blame us for the NHL's plans.

Hockey has grown so much since the Predators have been here. Youth hockey leagues have grown alot. We now have a big Nashville Area High School hockey league. Kids are playing roller hockey instead of baseball and football. Sure its peanuts compared to Canada but its a start. Those kids are much more likely to support the NHL when they get older and have jobs. I've flat out seen posts made by people on these boards who have claimed that hockey hasn't grown at all here. They say hockey will never grow here.

We have one of the largest individual fan bases in the NHL. We lack corporate support for various reasons (mostly because the sells department burned bridges in the community early on and for many other reasons). The blame is on the corporate sector and the Predators sales / marketing staff. Our marketing is a joke compared to what I've seen for other teams in other cities.

You can sit there and say, well it isn't working there after starting at NHL scoresheets all day. And thats fine. But don't act like for one minute you know the full situation here.

We haven't been given a full chance. Just when things were back on the upswing for Craig, he bails out. If he couldn't take it, then fine. But that doesn't mean it can never work here. And thats the beef alot of us have.

Again, I'm sure Hamilton would be a fantastic market. I'm all for a team there, just not through relocation. I think you'll find alot of Nashville fans who feel the same way.

You can pull out deposit numbers for all kinds of Canadian cities, but that doesn't mean teams should get right up and move. And it certainly doesn't mean that those fans should be supportive of that move because some internet posters and biased newspaper article writers feel its the 'right thing to do'. As if justice will be brought into the league.

Nashville has the potential to be a GREAT market. People here are very loyal. The fanbase has been increasing since the lockout. All we need is someone how knows what the hell they are doing in terms of corporate sales, because obviously someone isn't doing something right there.

Again, whether or not you feel the NHL is doing the right thing by going into areas where hockey is 'foreign' is your opinion. But that is what the NHL is doing here and that shouldn't be Nashville's fault. For Leipold to think that he could have instant results here (especially with how he's done things) it just shows he's an idiot.
These are all very well reasoned points. Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not in favor of moving the team. I just think it's pointless to paint Balsillie as the Devil.

That said, hockey is a business. How long should an owner lose money before deciding to relocate or sell? I'm really glad hockey is growing in Nashville, because the sport needs this type of grassroots growth. But the fact remains that Nashville, despite the commitment and passion of a significant number of fine fans, isn't drawing enough. In addition, the corporate community, from what I've read, isn't supporting the team sufficiently either. Apparently they don't think it's a good investment. Keeping the team in Nashville is a significant financial risk for anyone owning the team, that is why all prospective owners are looking to relocate. If having the team there was a license to print money, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Old
07-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maan if they move to Kansas City now there would be two frustrated cities.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantskate View Post
Please define "sucked"

They have had a winning record every year since 1999 and been to 2 conference finals not exactly sucking
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/t...ons.php?tid=38

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2007, 12:39 AM
Stranger

Quote:
These are all very well reasoned points. Also, I want to make it clear that I'm not in favor of moving the team. I just think it's pointless to paint Balsillie as the Devil.

That said, hockey is a business. How long should an owner lose money before deciding to relocate or sell? I'm really glad hockey is growing in Nashville, because the sport needs this type of grassroots growth. But the fact remains that Nashville, despite the commitment and passion of a significant number of fine fans, isn't drawing enough. In addition, the corporate community, from what I've read, isn't supporting the team sufficiently either. Apparently they don't think it's a good investment. Keeping the team in Nashville is a significant financial risk for anyone owning the team, that is why all prospective owners are looking to relocate. If having the team there was a license to print money, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
Where did I suggest hockey isn't a business? If you think that I'm naive to the business side of hockey, think again. I certainly don't need a lecture from someone on the internet.

And guess what, anyone that wants to move my team, for whatever reason is evil to me. I don't care how much sense it makes from a business perspective. This is someone trying to move MY TEAM. If this makes me a stupid hockey fan then so be it. Excuse me while I don't applaud a new owner moving my team. Especially someone who has the audacity to sell tickets in another city for my team before they even own the team, using our name nonetheless.

Quote:
Did you really just compare Toronto to Nashville?

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 02:51 AM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Where did I suggest hockey isn't a business? If you think that I'm naive to the business side of hockey, think again. I certainly don't need a lecture from someone on the internet.

And guess what, anyone that wants to move my team, for whatever reason is evil to me. I don't care how much sense it makes from a business perspective. This is someone trying to move MY TEAM. If this makes me a stupid hockey fan then so be it. Excuse me while I don't applaud a new owner moving my team. Especially someone who has the audacity to sell tickets in another city for my team before they even own the team, using our name nonetheless.

Did you really just compare Toronto to Nashville?
Your first two statements are logically inconsistent. First you claim not to be naive to the business side of hockey, then you say you don't care how much sense it makes from a business prespective. It's not your team, it's the owner's team. You are not losing or risking YOUR money. You don't have to applaud.

I wasn't comparing Tor to Nash, I was pointing out that Toronto fans come out whether their team is bad or good (in response to another post). I believe this is true of all of southern Ontario, which is why an owner like JB is willing to seriously overpay if he can relo. He knows he'll sell out every game, get corp sponsorship, etc.

Old
07-05-2007, 10:07 AM
savyjo

Quote:
Your first two statements are logically inconsistent. First you claim not to be naive to the business side of hockey, then you say you don't care how much sense it makes from a business prespective. It's not your team, it's the owner's team. You are not losing or risking YOUR money. You don't have to applaud.

I wasn't comparing Tor to Nash, I was pointing out that Toronto fans come out whether their team is bad or good (in response to another post). I believe this is true of all of southern Ontario, which is why an owner like JB is willing to seriously overpay if he can relo. He knows he'll sell out every game, get corp sponsorship, etc.
The first two statements make perfect sense to me. As fans we understand the business aspect of everything but that does not mean that we have to sit back and support it because it's a "wise" business decision. We don't care if it makes sense or not someone is trying to take our team, yes OUR team! No we do own the team but we are the ones who support it. We are the ones who spend money year in and year out to support OUR team and will continue to. We are the ones at the games cheering on the team. We are the ones who go out and spend money on jerseys and other apparel to show our support of our team. Us refering to Nashville as our team is exactly the same as you what is bold in your post. The words Toronto fans and their team is the same as Nashville and our team. Do the fans there own the team or is it the owner?

savyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 11:38 AM
cantskate

Let me say this again. I hope the Preds don't leave Nashville. I don't think you should be happy or accepting about the possibility of them leaving.

Old
07-05-2007, 12:22 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Quote:
Let me say this again. I hope the Preds don't leave Nashville. I don't think you should be happy or accepting about the possibility of them leaving.
Speaking on behalf of all the regular posters on this board, we aren't happy, or accepting.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
They did not sell out in the early 90's when the team did somewhat suck.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 01:33 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
You are not losing or risking YOUR money.

uh, you might want to rethink this. $3,000 a year on tickets alone suggests otherwise. And alot of us on here have season tickets. I think that's losing or risking OUR money. I know that's not much compared to the millions the owners put into teams, but our money does go to the team. Our money goes to the salaries of the players that are signed for more than one season. And if the team does move, it's OUR money that helped pay for the players that will still be on the team. So please do not even tell me that OUR money is not at risk with the team.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 07-06-2007 at 02:05 AM.
sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 03:01 AM
cantskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
uh, you might want to rethink this. $3,000 a year on tickets alone suggests otherwise. And alot of us on here have season tickets. I think that's losing or risking OUR money. I know that's not much compared to the millions the owners put into teams, but our money does go to the team. Our money goes to the salaries of the players that are signed for more than one season. And if the team does move, it's OUR money that helped pay for the players that will still be on the team. So please do not even tell me that OUR money is not at risk with the team.
You can't be serious. Buying tickets is an entertainment expense not an investment. Let me know when you throw 250 million into the pile to invest in the preds to keep them in Nashville. You are paying for the games you attend, period. If the team moves, well, you've paid for the entertainment you've received.

Old
07-06-2007, 03:21 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
What part of "I know that's not much compared to the millions the owners put into teams" don't you understand?

Buying season tickets IS an investment to keep the team here. It's not millions, but what we do spend is a lot to the average person. Why do you think we're having all these ticket drives? To buy tickets, to keep the team here! See, we pay OUR money to buy tickets, and if people buy enough, the team stays here.

It's not one sole millionaire that is responsible for keeping the team here. It's all of us. And to do that, we need to invest OUR money into the team. And we do that by buying tickets. One ticket is an entertainment expense, full season tickets are an investment, no matter the actual cost.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 08:39 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Another troll to the ignore list.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Another troll to the ignore list.
Speaking of trolls - is there ANY WAY to place them on an Ignore List so I don't have to read their drivel?

If so, please let me know.

Thanks

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Olaf

Quote:
You can't be serious. Buying tickets is an entertainment expense not an investment. Let me know when you throw 250 million into the pile to invest in the preds to keep them in Nashville. You are paying for the games you attend, period. If the team moves, well, you've paid for the entertainment you've received.
How much have you spent on your NHL team in the past 10 years in $, travel, time?
While it is indeed entertainment expense in my budget, it is still a vested part of something I have put more than just money for a decade.
I have changed travel plans for Preds games; I have moved business meetings to incorporate games. I have moved lunch meetings to make it convenient to get to the arena...I have made efforts so my children get the opportunity to see most every NHL player in person over this time. I have made some great friendships because of the Preds....So I lose nothing if they leave? Sorry, but your nuts.
I will have more disposable income if they leave...that's for sure. Hopefully my next major entertainment expense will not feel like such an investment.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Speaking of trolls - is there ANY WAY to place them on an Ignore List so I don't have to read their drivel?

If so, please let me know.

Thanks
Yes there is. Go to your User CP, click the Buddy/Ignore List option under the Control panel sidebar (it is under the miscellaneous section). Then add the poster to the ignore list . An ignored poster's message will be blocked, but an option will be there if you want to read it....simply click the option and the page will refresh with the poster's message viewable.

07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

I'm from Hamilton myself, and I would love to see Nashville move(No offense to you all, as in time, Im sure you will/would develop into a strong hockey market).

Just in response to a post earlier about Hamiltonions being insensitive though, we're had our fair share of NHL "unfairness". If you have some time to kill and looking for a good read, this is a nice article on Hamiltons woes

http://hamiltontigers.blogspot.com/2...-synopsis.html

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Yes there is. Go to your User CP, click the Buddy/Ignore List option under the Control panel sidebar (it is under the miscellaneous section). Then add the poster to the ignore list . An ignored poster's message will be blocked, but an option will be there if you want to read it....simply click the option and the page will refresh with the poster's message viewable.

Thank you - thank you - thank you!!!!!!

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 09:19 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nshort View Post
I'm from Hamilton myself, and I would love to see Nashville move(No offense to you all
Right, no offense meant at all

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 11:43 AM
braindead

Can we change the name of this thread to something less misleading like "Del Biaggio may want to make a less offensive offer than Balsillie but there is no guaranty he either bids or wins and likely won't be able to move the team anyway". Something shorter would be ok too but am I the only one that is tired of seeing "Preds sold to Del Biaggio"

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Right, no offense meant at all
Its not a personal thing, I just would prefer the preds in my city as opposed to yours

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nshort View Post
Its not a personal thing, I just would prefer the preds in my city as opposed to yours
You've got to be kidding. Read what you wrote and think of it as "it's not personal but I'd rather your girlfriend be mine".

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote