HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McCauley buyout!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2007, 10:57 PM
  #26
multiball
Registered User
 
multiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NoHo
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
This isn't GOOD news, that's for sure. There are indeed better things to be done with this money, as pointed out. As a Redskins fan (I know, I know...) this feels like when Gibbs brought in his fellow Christian Mark Brunell - and then massively overpaid him with up front money way out of line with what he accomplished. Blasted our cap hit for the next several years.

And as KB said, haven't we just CREATED 1.3 in cap space that can be used to sign MC, AK, JJ, Brown, Lewis, et al. Glass half full, I suppose...

Wouldn't a better option have been LTI? I'm asking, not stating.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 10:57 PM
  #27
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Players on LTI still count toward the 50-NHL contract limit...

Lombardi just created $1.3M in CAP space for the next two seasons...

Was signing McCauley a "mistake"? Probably given how it turned out...

Is a lineup with Armstrong and perhaps Lundmark that much weaker than Armstrong and McCauley? Probably not...

Some of us have been suggesting that this is going to be about a 5-yr rebuild. When Lombardi was asked tonight if there was a sense of urgency to maybe speed up the process, he pretty much indicated he was going to stay the course. Folks can continue to think he's going to deviate from this but it won't happen...
But if this is a 5 year rebuild (as you suggest) then why cut about $700k in salary cap from your budget 3 and 4 years from now when you are planning on being competitive and when your core players will be demanding the most money? If Lombardi doesn't plan on doing anything significant in the next couple of years then the best thing to do is to send McCauley to manchester and then re-call him in hopes that another team would take a risk on him at $1 million. the Kings would then only be on the hook for $1 million/year of his cap hit and he would be off the books when it comes time to sign Johnson and Kopitar to their next contracts.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:02 PM
  #28
multiball
Registered User
 
multiball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NoHo
Posts: 1,253
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James Bond View Post
I reported (as Kingbiscuit) last night that McCauley was removed from the Kins official roster:

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=58666&page=2

.
Good eye. Although it seems INSANE to me that the website databse is updated during what is undoubtedly in the first few HOURS of that decision being made, before a press release or official announcement has even been made.

Why on Earth wouldn't you just leave him on the roster page for a few hours (or even a whole DAY) after the decision to buy out and avoid rampant fan base speculation and/or misinformation?

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:03 PM
  #29
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Some of us have been suggesting that this is going to be about a 5-yr rebuild. When Lombardi was asked tonight if there was a sense of urgency to maybe speed up the process, he pretty much indicated he was going to stay the course. Folks can continue to think he's going to deviate from this but it won't happen...
Has Lombardi suggested it's going to be a five-year rebuild? Duthie's question proposed the possibility that the Kings might go for a quick fix; DL's not going to do that and there are few here that are advocating he does. However, staying the course doesn't mean not going after impact players. As DL himself said, it's about getting the right players for the right money and, most importantly, signing FA's that fit into your existing team structure. If the right players are out there and their acquisition is condusive to the development of this team and it's ultimate goals, I see DL going after them.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:06 PM
  #30
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
But if this is a 5 year rebuild (as you suggest) then why cut about $700k in salary cap from your budget 3 and 4 years from now when you are planning on being competitive and when your core players will be demanding the most money? If Lombardi doesn't plan on doing anything significant in the next couple of years then the best thing to do is to send McCauley to manchester and then re-call him in hopes that another team would take a risk on him at $1 million. the Kings would then only be on the hook for $1 million/year of his cap hit and he would be off the books when it comes time to sign Johnson and Kopitar to their next contracts.
Again, they don't pay these guys with MONOPOLY money. They use U.S. Dollars. Lombardi just saved a bunch of those as well. He has a budget to contend with as well as a CAP...

Johnson and Kopitar are probably going to be what's left of the core when the Kings get around to being a legitimate contender...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
  #31
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,447
vCash: 500
Again, guys, it's $666K each of the next four years, not $1.33M each of the next two. The initial report was mistaken.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:29 PM
  #32
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Again, guys, it's $666K each of the next four years, not $1.33M each of the next two. The initial report was mistaken.
Which really isn't all that much, especially if the cap continues to go up.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:32 PM
  #33
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Again, they don't pay these guys with MONOPOLY money. They use U.S. Dollars. Lombardi just saved a bunch of those as well. He has a budget to contend with as well as a CAP...

Johnson and Kopitar are probably going to be what's left of the core when the Kings get around to being a legitimate contender...
Except now he is paying a McCauley $3 million to not play hockey.....instead of $4 million to actual work for it. I wish my boss would pay me not to work.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:34 PM
  #34
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,447
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Except now he is paying a McCauley $3 million to not play hockey.....instead of $4 million to actual work for it.
Actually, it's $2.66M... and I imagine that they did this because they didn't think that he even could work for it, at least not this upcoming season.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:44 PM
  #35
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Actually, it's $2.66M... and I imagine that they did this because they didn't think that he even could work for it, at least not this upcoming season.
Correct....but they are only going to save a total of $1.33M total by doing buying him out. But they will be feeling the effects of it for at least the next 4 years. I would rather eat the extra $1.33 million and take a chance that another team might actually take him on re-entry waivers than to be anchored by his cap figure for 4 more years.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:46 PM
  #36
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
How do you re-build a program that was just re-built? Lombardi doesn't know what he's doing and is doing an equal job to Dave Taylor who was a disaster. The team is going backwards and on July 1st you will get to see our competition sign players that will help now and in the future while Lombardi thinks up excuses. The only black hole for the Kings next season should be Staples Center, when the fans stop buying tickets maybe we'll get an owner and a GM who want to win.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2007, 11:48 PM
  #37
The Tikkanen
Pest
 
The Tikkanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Yorba Linda
Country: United States
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Correct....but they are only going to save a total of $1.33M total by doing buying him out. But they will be feeling the effects of it for at least the next 4 years. I would rather eat the extra $1.33 million and take a chance that another team might actually take him on re-entry waivers than to be anchored by his cap figure for 4 more years.
Squid you're dead on on this move. Lombardi is fixing his own mistake with another mistake-something Dave Taylor was incredibly good at. Without the Jack Johnson deal fans would have already been calling for Lombardi's head. As far as I'm concerned Deano is just the next GM in line for the bumbling fools that have run the LA Kings. Can't wait til Alzner makes the All Star team and Hickey is nothing more than something to do at a boring Kings game.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:37 AM
  #38
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Guess what guys, DL F'd up on this one too. He failed his physical with the Kings and DL signed him anyway. He then went on to have another major leg surgery 3 weeks later after the Kings found out his knee required another major surgery.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:46 AM
  #39
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,795
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Guess what guys, DL F'd up on this one too. He failed his physical with the Kings and DL signed him anyway. He then went on to have another major leg surgery 3 weeks later after the Kings found out his knee required another major surgery.
I don't recall any press about McCauley failing a physical...

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:04 AM
  #40
TubbyTerrion*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Studio City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball View Post
You were all dying to see Alyn McCauley limp up the 3rd line center spot next year? Honestly, get a grip.

Define "all"

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:09 AM
  #41
Sniper7
Registered User
 
Sniper7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Canada, Ca.
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I don't recall any press about McCauley failing a physical...
He didn't take a physical because he was a UFA and was signed on his word he was healthy. DL covered that one night on Kings Talk after a game. With the cap going up the buy out is that big of a deal. Relax everyone is acting like Chicken Little and the sky is falling. To at the bigger picture, dead weight was removed from the team some money was saved, we aren't anywhere near the cap limit. The money will be better spent elsewhere and look that Blake, Thorton & Willsie are now in the final year of their contracts. That's $8.4 million coming off the books after this year.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:24 AM
  #42
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,956
vCash: 500
Thank God he's gone and the contracts of Thornton and Willsie are up at the conclusion of the 2008 season (Blake as well, but I could see him coming back for another year at a reduced salary).

So this must mean Lundmark may have that fourth line center spot secured with Armstrong centering the third line, leaving Kopitar and a free agent acquisition to be the top two centers.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:58 AM
  #43
kingsfann805
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oxnard
Country: United States
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
With regards to resigning some of the key core young players. Didn't DL CLEARED cap space by trading Norstrom and Conroy.

Not too sure how much of a cap hit both Norstrom (4,250,000.00 in 06/07) and Conroy (2,394,000.00 in 06/07) would have been next year, but I'm sure getting rid of those two contracts can help sign Cammy and Visnovsky to longer term deals (hopefully).

I'd also hope that DL, looked into all of the suggested (possible) options to get AM off of the books, and this one made the most sense to him.

kingsfann805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:14 AM
  #44
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Has Lombardi suggested it's going to be a five-year rebuild?
Of course he hasn't and I wouldn't expect him to. Look at the team, look at who's likely going to be leaving in the next two seasons. Five-years (four including the upcoming season) might actually be a bit ambitious...

I realize Lombardi has said Visnovsky is part of their core and a guy they want to build around. Again, of course that's what he's going to say. He's certainly not going to say we'd like to sign him long-term but he's probably as likely to want to test the FA market as he is to re-sign with us prior to hitting UFA.

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:17 AM
  #45
Game Misconduct
Registered User
 
Game Misconduct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Of course he hasn't and I wouldn't expect him to. Look at the team, look at who's likely going to be leaving in the next two seasons. Five-years (four including the upcoming season) might actually be a bit ambitious...

I realize Lombardi has said Visnovsky is part of their core and a guy they want to build around. Again, of course that's what he's going to say. He's certainly not going to say we'd like to sign him long-term but he's probably as likely to want to test the FA market as he is to re-sign with us prior to hitting UFA.
Given what Timonen just got paid and what Lubo said in that foreign-language interview, I don't think we're re-signing him. Man, I'm going to be PSP Jr. by the end of the night at the rate I'm going!

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:23 AM
  #46
kingsfan25
Registered User
 
kingsfan25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Of course he hasn't and I wouldn't expect him to. Look at the team, look at who's likely going to be leaving in the next two seasons. Five-years (four including the upcoming season) might actually be a bit ambitious...
When you say "5 years to rebuild" is that 5 years to become a contender?

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:32 AM
  #47
Captain Ron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gardnerville, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 17,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
When you say "5 years to rebuild" is that 5 years to become a contender?
If the Kings are not "contenders" by 2010 I say it is time to find a new sport because if this team can't get it together with guys like Kopitar, Johnson, Cammalleri, Frolov, Bernier etc by then .......then it is never going to happen.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:45 AM
  #48
Tadite
Registered User
 
Tadite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Rhode Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Some of us have been suggesting that this is going to be about a 5-yr rebuild. When Lombardi was asked tonight if there was a sense of urgency to maybe speed up the process, he pretty much indicated he was going to stay the course. Folks can continue to think he's going to deviate from this but it won't happen...

Great thing about a 5 year build plan is that nearly all our young talent is RFA/UFA by then. Frolov, cammy, and Brown all get to be UFA....

Guess we get to do this all again...

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
  #49
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
When you say "5 years to rebuild" is that 5 years to become a contender?
Yes, a legitimate contender, not a makes the playoffs team...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:30 AM
  #50
King Blazer
Registered User
 
King Blazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 6,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
If the Kings are not "contenders" by 2010 I say it is time to find a new sport because if this team can't get it together with guys like Kopitar, Johnson, Cammalleri, Frolov, Bernier etc by then .......then it is never going to happen.
Bernier will spend 07-08 back in Maine, 08-09 in Manchester. I'll be somewhat surprised if he's even in the NHL by 09-10 let alone the Kings #1 goalie that season...

At this point, my GUESS is that Cammalleri is as likely to be playing elsewhere by 2010
(he's scheduled hit UFA status at the end of 08-09 season) as he is to be playing for the Kings...

If your 2010 "deadline" is for the 2010-2011 season than we're in year 5 of the 5-yr rebuild I'm suggesting...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.