HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DDT: 2007 NHL Entry Draft 7PM EDT RDS, TSN, NHLN.. Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2014, 11:41 PM
  #751
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Classic! This post is a prime example of why you need to wait five years before properly judging a draft.
Another classic overreaction by FOTS.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2014, 11:45 PM
  #752
Bourne Endeavor
Registered User
 
Bourne Endeavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,538
vCash: 178
Gotta love the "No D in his game" Subban began his first stint with the Habs shutting down the two best players in the world.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 01:16 AM
  #753
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,900
vCash: 500
This is why I don't post about young boys

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:04 AM
  #754
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
Classic! This post is a prime example of why you need to wait five years before properly judging a draft.
It shouldn't stop us from playing the game as it happens also. Why? 'Cause when we look great at the time, we look great 5 years from it. And when we look bad, well it permits people to get those threads from that period and have their fun.

Everybody do understand, or so I hope, that there are reactions as the draft happens. There are analysis immediately after the draft. And there are analysis 4 or 5 years from it. 3 different things. Still believe we can do all 3.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:06 AM
  #755
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
This is why I don't post about young boys
Why? 'Cause people who don't post about it could come after you 5 years later? Same people who says that it's so easy to use hindsight to blast a pick and yet they use hindsight to blast our picks? Sorry, those people aren't going to stop me and others in having fun and having opinions. But to each their own.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:10 AM
  #756
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Because others will do that for me as they did and you're doing. So you bring the bad, I bring the good. Unless the only way to judge somebody's picks is to only bring the bad.....But hey, we have better years than others....even as fans. If pros head scouts and whole scouting department kind have bad years based on how a crapshoot it was....pretty sure we, as fans, also can have that luxury.

Besides.....Veilleux, Moller, Fortier and Tyrell...well Tyrell went 47, Veilleux 51 and Moller 52. So pro scouts were also underwhelmed there....
Don't worry about Grant, he's still waiting for Douglas Murray to prove his worth in the playoffs.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:15 AM
  #757
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Don't worry about Grant, he's still waiting for Douglas Murray to prove his worth in the playoffs.
I have no problems with Grant whatsoever. I really think it's important to have a real scout opinion on these boards. Really valuable as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't mean that I will always agree with him and I'm pretty sure he knows that by now...

But no matter how he might sound like sometimes or might appear to some, I will always believe that his presence in here is extremely important. I totally understand where he's coming from. But he knows he can't be exempt from being responding to and I'm sure he doesn't mind it either.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:18 AM
  #758
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have no problems with Grant whatsoever. I really think it's important to have a real scout opinion on these boards. Really valuable as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't mean that I will always agree with him and I'm pretty sure he knows that by now...

But no matter how he might sound like sometimes or might appear to some, I will always believe that his presence in here is extremely important. I totally understand where he's coming from. But he knows he can't be exempt from being responding to and I'm sure he doesn't mind it either.
I don't mind him either and think he's an important member of the community, but poking fun at peoples opinions years after the fact is a little petty. He's the pro here, he should be a bit bigger than that imo, as witnessed with his thoughts on Douglas Murray, no one is right all of the time.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:30 AM
  #759
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I don't mind him either and think he's an important member of the community, but poking fun at peoples opinions years after the fact is a little petty. He's the pro here, he should be a bit bigger than that imo, as witnessed with his thoughts on Douglas Murray, no one is right all of the time.
But then it's fine. It gives me a chance to respond. I have my best and worst moments as a wannabe armchair scout. And I'm fine with it. Loves it when I see Antoine Bibeau getting now the recognition I had in his draft year. But I laugh at myself when I see Jared Spurgeon play in the NHL when I always thought that this guy MIGHT be good enough....for the AHL. Win some, lose some.....just like the pros. I'd love to be paid for it though.....Will always be envious of those guys. Will always think that with the proper training and the proper "contacts", I would have done a fine job. Since I can't, I'm doing it here.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:34 AM
  #760
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros
 
Ice Poutine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: .
Country: Martinique
Posts: 11,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
This is why I don't post about young boys
You just did. But only to say you dont post about them .

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 08:40 AM
  #761
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
But then it's fine. It gives me a chance to respond. I have my best and worst moments as a wannabe armchair scout. And I'm fine with it. Loves it when I see Antoine Bibeau getting now the recognition I had in his draft year. But I laugh at myself when I see Jared Spurgeon play in the NHL when I always thought that this guy MIGHT be good enough....for the AHL. Win some, lose some.....just like the pros. I'd love to be paid for it though.....Will always be envious of those guys. Will always think that with the proper training and the proper "contacts", I would have done a fine job. Since I can't, I'm doing it here.
Agreed, I just don't see the need to rub salt in the wounds, everyone is doing this for fun, aside from Grant. The only problem I have is when the armchair scouts go crazy over guys they've never seen or bash a player they've never seen. Sometimes if you know so little, it's better to swallow your ride/ego and defer to the experts.

Christ, I've made evaluations at the pro level that were completely out to lunch, but it's all in fun and I will continue to give my opinions even if they are absurd from time to time.

Sometimes I find grant is a little too pro management, defending their every move, admittedly he likely knows a heck a lot more about the inner workings of the team than I, but sometimes you don't need to be an insider or expert to know when a deal is so bad ie Scott Gomez, no hindsight required there, Briere - no hindsight required there, he's still got some sick skills, but he's a complete liability, you could see this prior to the signing and Douglas Murray, who has never been that good and he's been on a steady decline for years.

habsfanatics* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 09:50 AM
  #762
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Agreed, I just don't see the need to rub salt in the wounds, everyone is doing this for fun, aside from Grant. The only problem I have is when the armchair scouts go crazy over guys they've never seen or bash a player they've never seen. Sometimes if you know so little, it's better to swallow your ride/ego and defer to the experts.
Absolutely. Which is what I was doing before becoming a PRO wannabe scout.

My Subban comment was made ENTIRELY based on reports. I don't remember really watching him. My Price comments was solely based on the fact that at the time, I thought we needed more talented players than a talented goalie. And in the end, if we would have ended up with a pairing of Kopitar-Quick, instead of Price-Latendresse, I'm not sure it would have been THAT bad. But then I went it and wondered about Timmins credentials...well that was dumb. I matured over the years even if I still believe that for the sake of a board, you stil need people with strong opinions. I have no idea how people would love to continually read "When, we can't say ****, we will see in 4 years". Over and over again. Nobody would read that. So what I choose to do is to actually watch prospects all year long live, TV and Net, so that at least I know what I'm talking about. And if Timmins choose a player I have no idea who he is, well while I won't be able to say that he sucks.....I still will be able to say that based on MY viewings, I would have love to pick this or that player. Just like I really wondered about the Erik Nystrom pick and go for other players though nobody really played in the league so far but some will while we're about to let go Nystrom. Yet, I was also thrilled to see the Sullivan pick as I loved the profile he had for a 7th rounder and yet....that also will not be working out. But they are just 7th rounders, I know.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 10:57 AM
  #763
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,643
vCash: 500
I bet there's some I can't believe I said these things back then seeing how these players turned out now. Page 6, post #127 was my favorite though.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:09 AM
  #764
Halifaxhab*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
I bet there's some I can't believe I said these things back then seeing how these players turned out now. Page 6, post #127 was my favorite though.
That one was beautiful.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:27 AM
  #765
overlords
#FakeBlous
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
It shouldn't stop us from playing the game as it happens also. Why? 'Cause when we look great at the time, we look great 5 years from it. And when we look bad, well it permits people to get those threads from that period and have their fun.

Everybody do understand, or so I hope, that there are reactions as the draft happens. There are analysis immediately after the draft. And there are analysis 4 or 5 years from it. 3 different things. Still believe we can do all 3.
Agree with this. We have video footage of the Blue Jackets staff (including a few Pro scouts, I imagine) doing backflips when the habs took price. Quite the overreaction there, wouldn't you say

And those guys don't have the excuse that they're 'professional wannabe' scouts like you, or even an amateur wannabe scout like me

Curious, WS, would you take a job scouting if given the opportunity?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 11:34 AM
  #766
Whitesnake
Stormbringer
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 66,562
vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Agree with this. We have video footage of the Blue Jackets staff (including a few Pro scouts, I imagine) doing backflips when the habs took price. Quite the overreaction there, wouldn't you say

And those guys don't have the excuse that they're 'professional wannabe' scouts like you, or even an amateur wannabe scout like me

Curious, WS, would you take a job scouting if given the opportunity?
If there is a part-time job out there that permits me to have access to every TV and Net games there is AND a year-long pass to the Blainville-Boisbriand arena.....YES, I would most definately do it with the job I have now. Hell, I'd even move from time to time to Sherbrooke and Shawinigan also if I have to.

Since that job I'd take probably doesn't exist, with a family now, my wife wouldn't permit me to never be home. Without a family, I most definately would take a full time job and not care to live in hotels. That would have been my dream job.

In the meantime, hey, they only thing they have to do is use my services totally free. Or do like you're doing with my Frozen Four predictions....and do totally something different.


Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-01-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:47 PM
  #767
JV
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: na
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,509
vCash: 500
I identified Subban very early on as a black guy. I stand by that assessment.

JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:50 PM
  #768
Jrham15
Registered User
 
Jrham15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,252
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JV View Post
I identified Subban very early on as a black guy. I stand by that assessment.
seems accurate.

Jrham15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 02:57 PM
  #769
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,364
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
For me this Habs draft picks so far can be summed up easilly.

I don't know them.

Sure there's those reports, but those things ain't my opinion.

I don't know 'em. Can't talk about them. I'm happy we didn't take Esposito or Cherepanov, I'm dissapointed we didn't pick Eller, and that the Habs didn't make a move to show some life.

That's it.

lol man, very impressive

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 03:17 PM
  #770
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 13,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
If some team thinks they can rein in his freelancing ways – or maybe convert him into a forward – then the offensive potential is there. Otherwise, take note – there is absolutely no “D” in P.K. Subban’s name or game."

A D without any D. Great lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
So we just drafted a softy d-man who can't play defense ?

There must be something good in this kid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
for once the Habs could address an overdue problem, without giving nothing in return, and draft a big right handed centerman in Veilleux and they go for Subban.

nothing against Subban, but that's not the Habs' most pressing need

way to go Trevor
Lol there really are some great comments about that Subban pick

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 03:41 PM
  #771
hf27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
for once the Habs could address an overdue problem, without giving nothing in return, and draft a big right handed centerman in Veilleux and they go for Subban.

nothing against Subban, but that's not the Habs' most pressing need

way to go Trevor

Lol there really are some great comments about that Subban pick
So most likely the Gomez for McDonagh+ others trade would not have happened if MTL did not have Subban and MTL would have McDonagh on the blueline now instead of Subban.

hf27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:32 PM
  #772
cjbhab*
 
cjbhab*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
PK Subban ??

2006-07: After a passable rookie season with the Bulls wherein he accounted for 12 points, he exploded this year posting totals of 15 goals and 41 assists in 68 games.

The problem is, for a kid with the initials P.K., he shows no inclination for playing any sort of defensive role. In many ways, he’s a defenseman in name only, regularly sacrificing good positioning to make a foray into the offensive end.



-----

I don't like this, especially with Cohen on the board.
LOL, I think the younger version of me had a much deeper vocabulary.

Inclination? foray?

also.. who the hell is cohen? lol

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:33 PM
  #773
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,604
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
LOL, I think the younger version of me had a much deeper vocabulary.

Inclination? foray?

also.. who the hell is cohen? lol
I believe you were quoting a scouting report.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:36 PM
  #774
cjbhab*
 
cjbhab*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Regina
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I believe you were quoting a scouting report.
that makes more sense.. holy **** we are old now.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 04:38 PM
  #775
WeThreeKings
DJ Salem
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 54,604
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
that makes more sense.. holy **** we are old now.
7 years ago. It really puts things in perspective.

I can remember jumping into the roof of my buddy's room when we drafted Pacioretty. Very very pumped we got McDonagh as well.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.