HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

DDT: 2007 NHL Entry Draft 7PM EDT RDS, TSN, NHLN.. Part II

Old
06-22-2007, 11:40 PM
All-Star

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
That being said, I can't help feeling somewhat let down. Espo was risky but the possibility of pure offense in our system would of been fun to follow.
Over the last few years, pure offensive types have come to montreal to die (Berezin, Cherkawski, Sammy, even Kovy to a certain extent...). Why would Espo have been any different? The Habs aren't being built to accomodate that style, and changing that mentality now would mean starting from scratch.

The Habs are currently being built to win championships, not to look good in the regular season; I'm very happy with that fact.

Espo is now exactly where a guy with his skill-set belongs: on an offence first team.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star View Post
Over the last few years, pure offensive types have come to montreal to die (Berezin, Cherkawski, Sammy, even Kovy to a certain extent...). Why would Espo have been any different? The Habs aren't being built to accomodate that style, and changing that mentality now would mean starting from scratch.

The Habs are currently being built to win championships, not to look good in the regular season; I'm very happy with that fact.

Espo is now exactly where a guy with his skill-set belongs: on an offence first team.
This is asanine. We are built to be a borderline playoff contender. The second American we took wasn't even slated to go top 40 by most teams and will most likely never be a regular nhler. We have enough grit/character. I'm sick and tired of taking the safe picks. Mcdonogh's ceiling is where Komisarek is now, which is 4/5 dman, and Pecowhatever's is 3rd line forward. Koicu and A Kost are our only player projected to be more than second liners, and we don't even have a dman in the system capable of being on a top pair. Basically the future looks like this. Hope Koivu and Kost put up 120 points a year, and hope we can roll 3 other lines that don't go -10 each and then hope Price steals the show. If we win a title in the next 5 years it will be with the weakest group of forwards, and the weakest defence in the nhl's history.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:01 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post
Hahaha if you guys want to laugh, listen to CKAC! They're going on about how Esposito is gonna embarrass us when he plays against the Habs.
And I can't wait to see one of our huge highly mobile rear-guards sit on his candy ass after he managed a shot into the center of Price's jersey.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Matt Foley*

I am a Columbus season ticket holder volunteering at the draft who had the privilege of guiding McDonagh through his two hours worth of media interviews and photo ops. He is a super nice kid who seems to be really mature for his age. I look forward to seeing him progress and make it to the NHL someday soon.

The Canadiens' PR guy was really nice to me, as well. He gave me some Canadiens' stuff after helping Ryan through the long post-draft obligations.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:

+1

So true, truer words never spoke...

But alas, some people will come here and reply that Berezin, Czerkawski, Sammy and Kovy all sucks... but well, they still were pure offense, like Espo is...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:11 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
This is asanine. We are built to be a borderline playoff contender. The second American we took wasn't even slated to go top 40 by most teams and will most likely never be a regular nhler.

According to whom ?

We have enough grit/character.

Really ? IMO it's an area we lack so much...

I'm sick and tired of taking the safe picks. Mcdonogh's ceiling is where Komisarek is now, which is 4/5 dman, and Pecowhatever's is 3rd line forward.

Again, according to whom ? Cause I'm sure you know at least as much as I do about these players, not that much...

Koicu and A Kost are our only player projected to be more than second liners, and we don't even have a dman in the system capable of being on a top pair. Basically the future looks like this. Hope Koivu and Kost put up 120 points a year, and hope we can roll 3 other lines that don't go -10 each and then hope Price steals the show. If we win a title in the next 5 years it will be with the weakest group of forwards, and the weakest defence in the nhl's history.

Wow, have faith man, have faith...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:17 AM
Maxpac

With Mcdonaugh aboard now, are we talkling about a n.1 defensmen potential here?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:19 AM
madbox

Wanted defense, got it. A lot of people seem high on McDonagh and his potential for the NHL, he's mature with a great attitude. Nice to read what Matt Foley posted.
Pacioretty has a ways to go but scouting reports say he's got hands and can basically do it all with the frame of a power forward.
Not bad I'd say, since it's suuuch a weak draft and all.

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

My only issue with these two picks is that we have to wait a long time for these players to develop. For the last decade, we've been a mediocre team and have waited forever for our team to get out of this terrible funk. Unfortunately, these players won't help us for perhaps 4 to 5 years.

Perhaps I"m just growing too impatient. I admit, I wanted one of Esposito or Cherapanov, because I tihnk they could contribute a bit sooner and have some impact. I was willing to take the risk. However, I suppose in the long run, we'll just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I just hope we make a significant transaction somewhere this offseason that makes this club respectable once again. Guys like Drury or marleau would be a good start, even though they can hardly accomplish that by themselves. The Canadiens are a shell of their former selves, and it just sickens me. I don't think guys like Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Valentenko etc will have as much of as impact as we liked to believe. I just hope we can get some impact players now to put us back on the hockey map, because we've definitely slipped in terms of prestige and greatness.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
I'm somewhat confused

Prospects with Offensive Upside
Kostitstin, Andrie and Sergei
Maxwell
White
Carle

True Power Forwards
None

Seems to me that we addressed a real need
Good call. I envision Patches as a better Latendresse, so that can never be bad as people around here are putting Lats on first and second lines all over the place in "realistic 2008 lines" threads.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:24 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
My only issue with these two picks is that we have to wait a long time for these players to develop. For the last decade, we've been a mediocre team and have waited forever for our team to get out of this terrible funk. Unfortunately, these players won't help us for perhaps 4 to 5 years.
Yeah, I feel ya. But, we already have a wave coming in Fischer, Carle, O'Byrne (not sold on him though) so I guess this pick is the start of the next wave. Intelligent drafting I believe, even if it means a little bit of waiting. Looks like it will be worth it. It usually is.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:24 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post

Perhaps I"m just growing too impatient. I admit, I wanted one of Esposito or Cherapanov, because I tihnk they could contribute a bit sooner and have some impact. I was willing to take the risk. However, I suppose in the long run, we'll just have to wait it out and hope for the best.

I just hope we make a significant transaction somewhere this offseason that makes this club respectable once again. Guys like Drury or marleau would be a good start, even though they can hardly accomplish that by themselves. The Canadiens are a shell of their former selves, and it just sickens me. I don't think guys like Lapierre, Kostitsyn, Grabovski, Valentenko etc will have as much of as impact as we liked to believe. I just hope we can get some impact players now to put us back on the hockey map, because we've definitely slipped in terms of prestige and greatness.
I think the wait is a good thing right now. We are at a point where we have alot of young kids on the verge of making the team. We appear to have set up a constant stream of potential NHL players and I could be happier.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:26 AM
All-Star

Quote:
The second American we took wasn't even slated to go top 40 by most teams and will most likely never be a regular nhler.
Where are you getting your information?
Quote:
Mcdonogh's ceiling is where Komisarek is now, which is 4/5 dman
Have you seen the guy play? Do you think Komi has peaked?
Quote:
Pecowhatever's is 3rd line forward.
Most reviews I've seen (I've never seen him play) project him to be a top two line power forward.
Quote:
Koicu and A Kost are our only player projected to be more than second liners, and we don't even have a dman in the system capable of being on a top pair. Basically the future looks like this. Hope Koivu and Kost put up 120 points a year, and hope we can roll 3 other lines that don't go -10 each and then hope Price steals the show.
Do you seriously believe Higgins, Pleks, Lats, etc... have peaked yet? Look at the product on the ice, not at what was being said of them when they were drafted...
Quote:
If we win a title in the next 5 years it will be with the weakest group of forwards, and the weakest defence in the nhl's history.
If you like the way other teams do it so much, why don't you follow them for a few years. Teams like Ottawa have tried it your way. Every time it's the same problem in the playoffs: even though they dominated in the regular season, a lack of leadership and grit gets them eliminated. Once the Habs are done building, we'll have grit and leadership in spades to go along with the skills our guys already have. All we'll be missing is an experienced star or two. That is when the Habs will make their move and overpay for their services (UFA or trade), then lookout...

Some people have a serious lack of vision.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Couldn't agree more Skeletor.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:34 AM
znk

Quote:
This is asanine. We are built to be a borderline playoff contender. The second American we took wasn't even slated to go top 40 by most teams and will most likely never be a regular nhler. We have enough grit/character. I'm sick and tired of taking the safe picks. Mcdonogh's ceiling is where Komisarek is now, which is 4/5 dman, and Pecowhatever's is 3rd line forward. Koicu and A Kost are our only player projected to be more than second liners, and we don't even have a dman in the system capable of being on a top pair. Basically the future looks like this. Hope Koivu and Kost put up 120 points a year, and hope we can roll 3 other lines that don't go -10 each and then hope Price steals the show. If we win a title in the next 5 years it will be with the weakest group of forwards, and the weakest defence in the nhl's history.
Gosh...I realy wish there was something we could do about that kind of crap. It's just so hard to hold back and not get infractions..... http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=318393

Old
06-23-2007, 12:35 AM
znk

Quote:
Where are you getting your information?Have you seen the guy play? ...

Obviously....the same place the rest of his comments come from.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:38 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
This suddently became my favourite mock around

http://www.sharkspage.com/2007_nhl_draftpreview.html

Quote:
Max Giese is a scout for McKeen’s Hockey. His general focus is on players from the USHL and NCAA, but Max keeps a keen eye on talent from around the world. The following is his top 100 NHL eligible players for the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, and the top 5 prospects broken down by attribute. Max is also a regular contributor on the Hockeys Future messageboards(X-SHARKIE) and on Sharkspage.com.
Quote:
4. D Ryan McDonagh, 6-1 205, 6-13-1989, Cretin- Durham Minnesota High School, 26 gp – 14 g – 26 a – 40 points.
++ Huge upside, soft hands, good skater, creative
+ Physical, smart
- Needs to prove himself at higher levels.

The best defenseman eligible this year, Ryan McDonagh possesses special ability both with or without the puck. A University of Wisconsin recruit, Ryan was named Mr. Hockey for the top player in Minnesota this season. He is the most complete defenseman in this draft and has terrific upside at both ends of the rink. McDonagh is a swift skater with nimble feet and a quick stride with a very impressive burst of power behind it. His acceleration is especially impressive and he also possesses a great top gear. His agility is superb for a big man as he can twist and turn at top speeds all the while maintaining possession of the puck. Ryan is blessed with exceptional hands and is creative with the puck as he’ll stick handle around the opposition with dangles that look they are coming from a first line forward. He’s composed with the puck, he sees the ice well, and makes a heads up first pass. Ryan is an instinctive passer and also displays impressive creativity while quarterbacking the power play. His hockey sense is superb and he seems to read the play one step quicker than his peers. He has the size and strength a long with an adequate physical edge to be a physical one on one defender. Ryan maintains a healthy gap with his man at all times and because of his swift mobility he can stay with anyone one on one. McDonagh also has exceptional stick work and defensive positioning to make him a formidable defender. He competes hard every night and while he’s already a complete defenseman, there is also tons of upside here and several years from now he will turn out to be the best defenseman taken in the 2007 draft.
Quote:
16. RW Max Pacioretty, 6-2 205 11-20-1988, Sioux City USHL, 52 gp – 19 g – 36 a – 55 points.
++ Vision and play making
+ Size, top gear, work ethic, hands
- questionable finishing ability.

The best forward available for the 2007 draft out of the USHL and deserves a selection in the first round for his intriguing blend of size, speed, and play making ability . He owns a power forwards body at 6-2 205 with long limbs and strong lower and upper body strength. He’s sturdy on his feet and shows good footwork to fend off checks as well as impressive leg strength. Displays decent agility with good stops and starts. His first step is a bit awkward but once he gains momentum he has a commanding stride as he can really fly with a superb top gear. Pacioretty’s hands are soft with some impressive quick moves. He’s strong on his stick and covers the puck well with his big frame. He’s blessed with exceptional vision and impressive creativity as he emerges as a gifted play maker. Max can thread the needle with a crisp pass through a small lane and displays good touch as he can execute a nifty saucer pass in limited space. He owns a quick shot with good velocity and a quick release, although accuracy still needs to be upgraded as he gets his shots on net but doesn’t pick corners. He does a good job stopping at the net for rebounds and is a useful big body in front to create traffic in front of the goaltender. He began to use his size more away from the puck late in the season. He tracks the puck well as he anticipates the play well and maintains good positioning at both ends of the ice. Pacioretty back checks adequately and marks his man well as he’s a decent two way player. Can get feisty at times but isn’t a power forward. Will attend the University of Michigan next fall.

Last edited by Team_Spirit: 06-23-2007 at 12:51 AM.
Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 12:40 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS456 View Post
How can they comment on players they don't know ? Very few people know them enough to comment on those players. I mean, rds have seen his team play 1 or 2 times and they were probably not focusing on mcdonaugh...

They know Esposito. They think he's a good player. They think the habs should have drafted him. They comment on the move that the habs didn't draft him. That's all.

I didn't hear them bash the habs for drafting these 2 guys...
So in other words, they had no business covering the draft. TSN on the other hand put on an excellent and fairly even-handed show tonight.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Nobak

Quote:
And what's worse, I heard our second round pick tomorrow is already an official NHL bust.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
I am a Columbus season ticket holder volunteering at the draft who had the privilege of guiding McDonagh through his two hours worth of media interviews and photo ops. He is a super nice kid who seems to be really mature for his age. I look forward to seeing him progress and make it to the NHL someday soon.

The Canadiens' PR guy was really nice to me, as well. He gave me some Canadiens' stuff after helping Ryan through the long post-draft obligations.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing, the Habs trend to draft mature players in well in place.

And the PR guy is turning people into Habs fans one by one.

Old
06-23-2007, 01:25 AM
tiredman

Quote:
So in other words, they had no business covering the draft. TSN on the other hand put on an excellent and fairly even-handed show tonight.
Well, rds can present the draft. The quality is just bad. But it doesn't matter when you know the prospects and just want to know the results...

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 01:47 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/4990

Looks good to me, I'm not going to judge any of the players we didn't take but why were the Habs not the only ones to pass on Esposito? maybe he doesn't have the mental or maybe he already reached his potential...(i.e Ribeiro, Daigle, Dagenais) The guy we took was a need we had and a player that our scouts had on their list before Esposito. Timmins scouted him all year and is high on him. He is big, strong. I'm very happy with the pick.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 02:47 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

5mins close up of both players here :

http://www.canadiens.com/eng/general/2007draft.cfm

Old
06-23-2007, 02:51 AM
greyboy67

Thanks for the behind-the-scenes view, Foley.

It's nice to hear that the organization is showing professionalism and class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post

greyboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 07:32 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
So let me get this straight?

The only people complaining are the ones who wanted French players, right?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote