HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if we don't get a top line center?

Old
06-25-2007, 06:57 PM
27roenick97

vCash: 500
What if we don't get a top line center?

We've all been discussing who we want to get, whether it be briere, drury, gomez or marleau. But, what if we don't get any of them? Can we make the playoffs with the team at hand?

I think that the team would look something like this, barring no further moves.

Gagne Carter Upshall
Hartnell Richards Knuble
Sanderson Potulny Kapanen
Eager Umberger Affy

Timmonen Pitkanen
Hatcher Coburn
Gauthier Kukkonen

Biron
Nitty

I don't know if this'll cut it... Your thoughts?

27roenick97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Jester

Quote:
We've all been discussing who we want to get, whether it be briere, drury, gomez or marleau. But, what if we don't get any of them? Can we make the playoffs with the team at hand?
have we? you have one post.

if we don't get a no. 1 center the world will end... don't say i didn't warn you, because i just did.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
flyer_fury

if we don't get a true #1 we'll see what carter is really made of

flyer_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want any quick-fix centres. I want Gomez, Briere, even Drury or Forsberg, or none. No Lang, no Nylander, no Yashin. Just go with what we have for the year. Let everyone gel together and try to add the next big piece during the year or next off-season. I don't even care about the playoffs, I want to build chemistry and build towards a Stanley Cup run. We're not winning the cup or going far with Nylander or Lang as our top centre for the next two years.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:04 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't want any quick-fix centres. I want Gomez, Briere, even Drury or Forsberg, or none. No Lang, no Nylander, no Yashin. Just go with what we have for the year. Let everyone gel together and try to add the next big piece during the year or next off-season. I don't even care about the playoffs, I want to build chemistry and build towards a Stanley Cup run. We're not winning the cup or going far with Nylander or Lang as our top centre for the next two years.
i'm with you... but it ain't going to happen... i wouldn't be against signing someone like Nylander for a year or two, but i haven't paid close attention to who is really going to be available next year.

and before anyone starts babbling about Hossa and Thornton... i doubt either is going to see the light of day.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i'm with you... but it ain't going to happen... i wouldn't be against signing someone like Nylander for a year or two, but i haven't paid close attention to who is really going to be available next year.

and before anyone starts babbling about Hossa and Thornton... i doubt either is going to see the light of day.
Oh you're probably right, someone will be brought in this summer. I'm honestly not looking forward to that day because I'll probably be upset.

Old
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
flyer_fury

i'd have no problem giving carter the "on the job training" but thats just not the flyers. homer will do something weather we like it or not. he told timonen he would get a center

flyer_fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
I agree with the whole gel and chemistry concept but at the same time as I don't neccessarily want Nylander, I also don't want Carter to be pushed into a 1st line center role just yet. I'd rather have Nylander, go into the season not expecting a cup but maybe playoffs, and keep the major 1st line pressure off Carter and watch him grow. Then after next year we see where things are.

Obviously I wouldnt want Nylander in this scenario if he wanted more than 4.5m and I'd really only like him signed for 1-2 years max. Preferably 1.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 07:13 PM
McNasty

Nylander isn't going to sign for 1, hes coming off a career year and a great playoff performance so he's probably looking to cash in this offseason. If we can't bring in a Center I think we go Carter Richards 1/2 bring Umberger to the 3rd line.

Just curious who would you rather have between Gags and Knuble? Carter or Richards

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I agree with the whole gel and chemistry concept but at the same time as I don't neccessarily want Nylander, I also don't want Carter to be pushed into a 1st line center role just yet. I'd rather have Nylander, go into the season not expecting a cup but maybe playoffs, and keep the major 1st line pressure off Carter and watch him grow. Then after next year we see where things are.

Obviously I wouldnt want Nylander in this scenario if he wanted more than 4.5m and I'd really only like him signed for 1-2 years max. Preferably 1.
Yeah, fair point about letting Carter develop a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Nylander isn't going to sign for 1, hes coming off a career year and a great playoff performance so he's probably looking to cash in this offseason. If we can't bring in a Center I think we go Carter Richards 1/2 bring Umberger to the 3rd line.

Just curious who would you rather have between Gags and Knuble? Carter or Richards
If no centre is brought in, I'd have our top two lines look like:

Gagne-Carter-Upshall
Hartnell-Richards-Knuble

Old
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
BringBackStevens

If we don't get a top line center, then i'll be pissed because this will be another loooooong season

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Not to be a little pessimistic, but I think that even with a top line center, we lack of lot of key ingredients to realistically compete this year. We have a ton of young players on the backline, and our 3rd and 4th lines are not quite there yet. I saw some people say Stevens needed some sort of system out there, and I agree -- at times, all 5 guys on the ice looked confused.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 09:31 PM
IronMarshal

If we don't get a number 1 center, then we are looking at the lottery again, and maybe Stamkos or Tavares.
If we land, say, Gomez, we will compete for a playoff spot.
Carter didn't show much last year. Let's hope he rises to the challenge this year.

IronMarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:05 PM
EasyMac

I wouldn't be too upset if we used Potulny as the 2nd line center (or possibly even throw him in the top line to see if Carter clicks with Hartnell. If the team is doing decent, perhaps they could pull off a mid season trade for a center from a team that is crapping out. Or perhaps Potulny will step up his game and be great. We can all dream can't we?

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Yeah, fair point about letting Carter develop a bit more.

If no centre is brought in, I'd have our top two lines look like:

Gagne-Carter-Upshall
Hartnell-Richards-Knuble
For some reason I have a feeling that H-R-K would either be awesome or a train wreck with no in between.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM
daynus

if we don't get a number one center, yes that greatly improves the chances of the world ending.

we could always contact cbs or fox and get them to do a reality show, finding us a number 1 center for the prize of $1M.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:17 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post

I rather have Richards between them.

Also, I rather have Nylander on no more then a two year deal, or Morrison (if they cleared his salary for something cheap) then Forsberg.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:30 PM
Wachovia Center

Send a message via ICQ to Wachovia Center Send a message via Yahoo to Wachovia Center
i have a feeling we'll see forsberg back here next season. gomez will defnitely not sign with us, so that leaves drury and briere... IMO, Drury goes out west, Briere stays with BUF.

I think the team learned to not rely on him since the trade deadline, so I don't think he'll be a bad fit.

Wachovia Center is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:46 PM
PhillyPhantic

If we can get Forsberg on the cheap, 2 years 6 - 6.5 million I'd be happy. I wouldn't mind seeing Nylander either, but I think we'd have to give him 3 years and probably around 12-13.

PhillyPhantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
tony d
The franchise

I think that if the Flyers don't get a #1 centre this off-season they will probably miss the playoffs, again, next season.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 10:58 PM
flyersfan97

Hello? Am I the only optimistic person here? We will get a #1 center because, well.....because I said so!!! Wasn't I right about Timonen? OK, everyone say it with me:

"The 2007-2008 Philadelphia Flyers will feature a top line of: Simone Gagne-Daniel Briere-Mike Knuble."

Sheesh, that lady that wrote that 'Secret' book is like a gazillionaire and it's all about the power of positive thinking. C'mon guys, think positively!!!!!!

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:06 PM
PhillyPhantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan97 View Post
Sheesh, that lady that wrote that 'Secret' book is like a gazillionaire and it's all about the power of positive thinking. C'mon guys, think positively!!!!!!
What about that saying: expect the worst, so that if turned for the better you'd be pleasantly surprised?

Old
06-25-2007, 11:14 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhantic View Post
What about that saying: expect the worst, so that if turned for the better you'd be pleasantly surprised?
No, no, NO!!!!!!! Ya wonder why Roger calls Philadelphia 'Negadelphia."

C'mon, we're fans of the Philadelphia freakin' Flyers. We don't accept mediocrity, we demand the best from each and every one of our players each and every night.

We will land Briere (or whoever it is Homer wants). It really is that simple.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:17 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27roenick97 View Post
We could, but highly doubtful. Without a legit top line center, everything would have to go perfectly to make the playoffs next year.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2007, 11:30 PM
PhillyPhantic

Agreed, I think if we played in the Southeast then it'd be no problem. But our division is too tough next year w/o a first line centermen to make the playoffs.