HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1st round - 27th overall Brendan Smith

Old
06-23-2007, 10:21 AM
shveik

vCash: 500
I *really* like this pick. In my eyes, a guy like Petrecki will turn into Brooks Orpik if all goes well. Brendan Smith will be our Scott Niedermayer if all goes well. It's just no contest IMO.

shveik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
1st round - 27th overall Brendan Smith

D Brendan Smith, 6-2 175, 2-8-1989, St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 gp – 12 g – 24 a – 36 points.
++ Offensive upside
+ Size, speed, hand skill, creativity, point shot
- Defensive awareness
Very intriguing prospect on the back end that could be a real wild card come draft day. Based on pure talent he is worthy of a first round selection, but because of him playing all season against suspect competition and a questionable defensive game, Smith could fall into the third round. Possesses a tall and athletic frame to develop into. Smith is a great skater for a kid of his size and age with nimble feet, rapid acceleration, and a fast top gear. He’s proactive offensively as he loves to skate the puck up the ice on his own and he displays impressive creative in the offensive zone. His hand skill is phenomenal and his point shot is heavy and quickly released. The knocks on him is that he gets caught up the ice too often and his defensive positioning leaves much to be desired. Still, if he rounds out his defensive game he could be a real stud in a few years. He’s committed to the University of Wisconsin.

anything else would be great to know.. i wish we picked someone else in a way, but i got a feeling him and kindl could develope into 2 amazing kids... now we just need a potential top 4 physical mean defeneme and our defensive crops are solid

Howard35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:22 AM
MotownMadman

He seems under-sized to me. I realize that there are others on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I when it comes to prospects and the process of developing talent, but a lot of kids that Detroit drafts seem to be small. This doesn't negate the possibility of their making it in the NHL, but does seem to present a hindrance. These smaller prospects also don't seem to make it to the NHL, which makes me worry about the selection of Smith.

I also noticed that the Sharks picked Petrecki with the very next pick. Petrecki is big and hyped as very physical, which is somewhat frustrating because that's the type of defenseman we don't have a lot of. Perhaps bigger prospects might peak earlier or seem better since they play with physically smaller peers, but I wish the Wings would have picked Petrecki at this point in time. Future may show me different.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Howard35

hes a quick moving defenemen whos game they say will translate into the new NHL very well. lets wait and see how he does in the NCAA after a year or two. i think he could become a hell of a kid. ididnt like it either, but you got to remain confedient and think to yourself that we kept the first for once, we took a defensemen once again and if we picked him we obviously see a ton of upside and potential.. cuz usually we dont keep these picks so we must have been high on him

Old
06-23-2007, 11:40 AM
TheDakkster*

MotownMadman: Since when is 6-2 small? He has a decent frame which he has a bunch of years to fill out. He already has amazing skating and playmaking abilities and he'll be going to Wisconsin which is an excellent place to learn defense from what I've read. What's not to like about this pick?

TheDakkster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:46 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDakkster View Post
MotownMadman: Since when is 6-2 small? He has a decent frame which he has a bunch of years to fill out. He already has amazing skating and playmaking abilities and he'll be going to Wisconsin which is an excellent place to learn defense from what I've read. What's not to like about this pick?
I think people are making the point that 6'2 seems small with only 170 pounds on it. If he can get to the 200 lb range, then we'll be able to stop talking about him being small. But a guy that's 6'2 should be a lot heavier than 170.

sarcastro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 11:57 AM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think people are making the point that 6'2 seems small with only 170 pounds on it. If he can get to the 200 lb range, then we'll be able to stop talking about him being small. But a guy that's 6'2 should be a lot heavier than 170.
That's what I was thinking. Again, I'm no expert with prospects, but some of our former prospects haven't seemed to fill out and didn't seem able to make that next step. I may be over-reacting due to seeing the trouble our D had with clearing big forwards from the front of the net the past few playoff season and therefore wishing for that big, nasty defenseman that Petrecki represents. I'm not saying that Smith won't ever make it in the NHL, but just that he fits a mold of prospects that seem to have had a lower probability of making the jump to the NHL.

I will also admit there didn't seem to be many highly ranked prospects who currently possess a good deal of size, so this may be more a factor of the characteristics of players in the draft.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:03 PM
sarcastro

That quote was from what, October, and there were how many quotes after that talking about how well he had recovered?

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

Old
06-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Howard35

wow relax im just posting what i read from other boards... chill.. i didnt know. its been 15 hours since we drafted the kid or what not, i dont know his life story yet

Old
06-23-2007, 12:13 PM
MotownMadman

With how physical hockey is, how many players make it to this level without sustaining what could considered a significant injury (broken arm, sprain, etc)?

Old
06-23-2007, 07:10 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
D Brendan Smith, 6-2 175, 2-8-1989, St. Michael’s OPJHL 39 gp – 12 g – 24 a – 36 points.
++ Offensive upside
+ Size, speed, hand skill, creativity, point shot
- Defensive awareness
Very intriguing prospect on the back end that could be a real wild card come draft day. Based on pure talent he is worthy of a first round selection, but because of him playing all season against suspect competition and a questionable defensive game, Smith could fall into the third round. Possesses a tall and athletic frame to develop into. Smith is a great skater for a kid of his size and age with nimble feet, rapid acceleration, and a fast top gear. He’s proactive offensively as he loves to skate the puck up the ice on his own and he displays impressive creative in the offensive zone. His hand skill is phenomenal and his point shot is heavy and quickly released. The knocks on him is that he gets caught up the ice too often and his defensive positioning leaves much to be desired. Still, if he rounds out his defensive game he could be a real stud in a few years. He’s committed to the University of Wisconsin.

anything else would be great to know.. i wish we picked someone else in a way, but i got a feeling him and kindl could develope into 2 amazing kids... now we just need a potential top 4 physical mean defeneme and our defensive crops are solid
Sounds promising, obvious he is still a couple of years away

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 07:52 PM
FissionFire

People wanted a pick with tons of upside.....well got what you wished for.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 08:31 PM
Karamazov

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
People wanted a pick with tons of upside.....well got what you wished for.
Agreed, and I really like this pick.

Karamazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 09:37 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
But a guy that's 6'2 should be a lot heavier than 170.
At 24 or 25, sure... but at 18?

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
yea i dont get what ppl want from a 17 yr old kid. Of course they all arent going to weigh 200+ lbs or what not, but hes 17 and has 4 years to throw on weight.. thats really not hard

Old
06-23-2007, 10:07 PM
ThatOneGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Even at 18, the average "healthy" weight for someone that is 6'2 is around 185-190 lbs. Obviously hes gonna be leaner but he really needs to bulk up. He'll have years to do it. Its not a half bad pick, I don't really think he was worthy of a first round selection. The Andersson pick left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially with Mayorov on the board. Columbus even traded up to snag the kid after the Wings passed him up. Very disappointing draft.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Howard35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Even at 18, the average "healthy" weight for someone that is 6'2 is around 185-190 lbs. Obviously hes gonna be leaner but he really needs to bulk up. He'll have years to do it. Its not a half bad pick, I don't really think he was worthy of a first round selection. The Andersson pick left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially with Mayorov on the board. Columbus even traded up to snag the kid after the Wings passed him up. Very disappointing draft.
while mayorov has talent theres a reason why ppl passed on him. i believe he didnt have the best WJC tournie, the transfer agreement would scare me away too and some russians take a while to come over and by then they dont always pan out. Griggy took forever, sure his injury hurt a few years, but **** happens, he could have came last year but didnt due to personal reasons. shishkanov, zinojev both were highly tauted and didnt pan out what so ever. Im happy with a safe pick in the 3rd with andersson, we got enough scoring players and top 6 guys, we will need those shut downers with size and smarts, and this kid i hear oozes smarts and to me that means hes a great prospect

Old
06-23-2007, 10:22 PM
ThatOneGuy*

You do realize that Zinojev is centering the best line in Europe right now, correct? ZZM

Hes not done yet, I think he'll go the Bykov route and try to come back as a UFA when hes the right age.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2007, 10:44 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Even at 18, the average "healthy" weight for someone that is 6'2 is around 185-190 lbs. Obviously hes gonna be leaner but he really needs to bulk up. He'll have years to do it.
Which was my point. For instance, look at the roster of the NCAA champ Spartans. They've got 4 guys on their roster 6-1 or 6-2 and 180 pounds, and all those guys are at least 1 year and usually 2 years older than Smith. Neither of their top 2 offensive dmen were over 180, and they were both seniors (although one of them wsa like 5-nothing, so not exactly apples and oranges).

IMO opinion he's pretty much right where and offensive dman should be at his age. If he was an alleged brusier/fighter/checker type player I'd be more alarmed by his frame, but as a skater/passer it doesn't bother me in the least. Chelios, Lidstrom, Markov and Schneider are all 190-191. Boyle and Vishnovski are smaller (relative to their peers) NHLers.

Smith has upwards of 3 years to add 15-20 pounds to his frame. Considering he's going to college, he'll get most of that with his "freshman 10."

Quote:
Its not a half bad pick, I don't really think he was worthy of a first round selection. The Andersson pick left a bitter taste in my mouth, especially with Mayorov on the board. Columbus even traded up to snag the kid after the Wings passed him up. Very disappointing draft.
Enh. With the Wings it's more about landing one great player than 2-4 moderate ones. Until they stop landing those great players I'm not going to go crazy criticizing what they do on draft days.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 12:19 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
You do realize that Zinojev is centering the best line in Europe right now, correct? ZZM

Hes not done yet, I think he'll go the Bykov route and try to come back as a UFA when hes the right age.
How is that the Bykov route? Bykov came to the NHL one season after he was drafted, and has not come back since.

The point of drafting a player is so that they play on your team. I don't think Boston fans care at all that he's doing well in Russia. They'd much rather he succeed in the NHL with the Bruins.

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Fayne Gretzky
5-14-6-1

Smith = Niedermayer...bank on it. He was one of my favorites in this draft. Great job at the table again, guys.

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 10:25 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
I saw Abdelkader play his freshman year, after the Wings drafted him at 6'1 195, and the kid still looked skinny. And he's considered one of the more physically prepared draftees we've seen. A guy that's the same height or a bit taller, with 25 fewer pounds on him, has a lot of work to do.

By all accounts, he's aware of this and is going to put in the time and effort to fill out over the next 2-4 years. It helps that he's going to college too, because the college season is much shorter than the junior season, leaving him more time off to work on his strength. One of the things they said about Quincey was, he played so much hockey that he couldn't strength train the way he wanted to. That's one reason why he still looks a bit skinny and could stand to add another 10 pounds of muscle.

Also, remember that he had a broken arm last year, and that could have set him back in terms of strength training. There's every reason to think the kid will fill out fine. That's the only cause for concern I have with the pick. As far as whether he'll be better than Petrecki or anyone else, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for Mayorov, I'm fine with the Wings skipping Russia altogether for a while until all this mess sorts itself out. I would make an exception for someone like Cherepanov, who wants to play in the NHL badly and has let everyone know it. But between the lack of a transfer agreement and the high salaries that are keeping Russian players in Russia, it's just not worth the hassle when there are other quality prospects out there that aren't carrying all that baggage.

Old
06-24-2007, 02:30 PM
arin1

Why is our 1st rounder rated lower than our 3rd & 6th? Haha
46th and 66th by Hockey News & ISS.

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
TRIARII*

seeing holland pass on petrecki whos a powerful player with size plus edge , and once again drafting a guy whos on the small / light side is perturbing to me . hes taking the you gotta have talent to play this game philosophy too far . yes you have to have talent guys , but you also have to have some bulls to clear the crease and police the criminals . its a contact sport where you have to get rough , and you arent gonna win enough rough show downs with a total finess team . petrecki was an exact fit to compliment the wings finess philosophy and we passed on him .

but im no expert and have never seen petrecki play so maybe he cant skate / isnt quick enough mentally , but im still calling for the wings to start incorporating some big and rugged players into the system / roster .

TRIARII* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2007, 07:37 PM
arin1

If Holland thinks we need tough players in the future all he has to do is trade/sign someone. You dont draft for needs; you draft for the best player available. If you don't need that player then they can be traded for what you do need.

How many "rugged" and tough players did we have this past season? I think 3 rounds of playoffs have shown that the Wings arent that bad off.

arin1 is offline   Reply With Quote